ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Stoops

Iowa was still in the interview process when they interviewed Bob and didn’t offer him the job because of where they were in the hiring process. They weren’t going to be held hostage by Stoops and his offer from Oklahoma so they told him they still had people to interview then they would get back to him. Bob told them he had an offer on the table from OU and had 24 hours to make a decision. Bob had to take the OU job with no offer on the table from Iowa.

It worked out for both schools but Iowa had a chance to hire Stoops but as we know, that didn’t happen. Fry wanted Stoops first and foremost and I even heard Gable went to Bowlsby’s house late at night after talking to Stoops and told Gable he was going to take the OU job. Bowlsby told Gable to go home and go to bed as they still had people to interview, including Ferentz. And as we all know, Stoops took the OU job and Iowa hired Ferentz a week later or so.
This is the correct reason. OU offer was expiring soon, and Iowa still wanted to interview Kirk and then decide. Stoops made the right decision, because there was no guarantee Iowa would have offered. Can't pass up that deal

Reactions: frydaze
This is the correct reason. OU offer was expiring soon, and Iowa still wanted to interview Kirk and then decide. Stoops made the right decision, because there was no guarantee Iowa would have offered. Can't pass up that deal
100% right.

The first time around, Iowa had a search process and Stoops accepted an OU offer before Iowa finished the search.

For the 2nd question, who knows. If Bob is still interested in coaching, he probably would consider coaching here, he very clearly still loves Iowa……but he’s also coached for a long time and been out for a few years, so he may not want to go back into it.
But you dont understand, you dont have a search process when the candidate is/was the most wanted assistand coach in the country. You dont interview him. You fly to where ever he is, you beg him to be the coach and do back-flip when if he says yes. Okie did that and the rest is history

Reactions: amahawk and littlez
But you dont understand, you dont have a search process when the candidate is/was the most wanted assistand coach in the country. You dont interview him. You fly to where ever he is, you beg him to be the coach and do back-flip when if he says yes. Okie did that and the rest is history
Sure, some ADs operate that way….but if Stoops wanted the Iowa job over OU, he’d have waited.

From two members I personally know that were on Iowa's search committee that verified the facts the same way:

Stoops was interviewed by the Iowa "committee" in a conference room at the Atlanta airport . Iowa had already interviewed Terry Allen, Chuck Long, and Don Patterson for the job.

The committee was Bowlsby, Gable, Mark Jennings, alum Marv Cook, current player Randy Reiners, Ann Rhodes (Mary Sue's right hand girl), and I believe one or two other faculty members who didn't know a football from a golf ball. Meanwhile, OU had a one man committee-- their AD.

Stoops had a deadline of 6:00 p.m. the day Iowa interviewed him from Oklahoma's AD, Joe Castiglione to accept Oklahoma's offer or not-- they wanted to know so they could move on or know they got their guy.

Stoops expected the Iowa offer that day. He never was given an official offer by Iowa because they had promised an interview the next day in Cleveland to a guy named Kirk Ferentz. After the interview concluded, Bob called two Iowa people he was close to-- trainer John Streif and associate AD Dan Gable (he was unable to make the Atlanta trip though he was on the search committee) just to get clarity "why" no offer had been given.

After talking to both of them, he called Castiglione and accepted the "sure" offer he already had that was going off the table in only a few short hours.

So Bob never officially got an offer from Iowa and the "committee" approach of Iowa stalled the entire process while Castiglione knew who he wanted and made a bee line right to him. (FYI- Castiglione interviews Stoops only one or two days before Iowa did and they did that interview in Dallas).

Bob's brother Mike confirmed less than two weeks later privately Bob would have taken the Iowa job had it been offered that day- even though his mentor at the time, Steve Spurrier, told him to take the OU offer over Iowa's. He was also given no certainty it would have even been offered after the Ferentz interview.

Bob made the right move under the circumstances.

That's the facts jack.
Yep

Sure, some ADs operate that way….but if Stoops wanted the Iowa job over OU, he’d have waited.
If Iowa wanted Bobby stoops, former star player and assistant coach, Iowa wouldn't have waited.

look, I can throw stoops resume at you if I actually have to show you're a fool for interviewing to get Kf instead of jumping on Stoops; you are arguing a grossly faulty position. Good Lord. stoops coached at a blue blood school, hall of famer and has a national championship!!

EVERYONE knew stoops would be a future star coach BUT the Iowa AD and President.

Reactions: amahawk
If Iowa wanted Bobby stoops, former star player and assistant coach, Iowa wouldn't have waited.

look, I can throw stoops resume at you if I actually have to show you're a fool for interviewing to get Kf instead of jumping on Stoops; you are arguing a grossly faulty position. Good Lord. stoops coached at a blue blood school, hall of famer and has a national championship!!

EVERYONE knew stoops would be a future star coach BUT the Iowa AD and President.
Its just the way Iowa did things then (and may still). It’s not exactly a rare process. I’m not defending or condemning it, just stating it for what it was. If Iowa skipped the process and did the interview/offer the same way OU did, Stoops would have had a choice anyway and I’m not sure he’d choose Iowa. Iowa is a special place for Stoops, but OU was a place where Stoops could win championships quickly while iowa was going to be a rebuild.

ADVERTISEMENT