ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Stoops

bizkitsngravy

Team MVP
Jan 30, 2012
Srssly not trolling here:

Can someone explain why we didn't hire Bob Stoops and went with KF. I rly don't remember the whole situation and how it played out. I would have thought Stoops would have wanted to coach at his alma mater?

Kirk isn't going anywhere I know that but lets say he retired after this season would Bob Stoops consider Coaching here.

• Haha
Reactions: NeverEliteHawkI
Stoops was probably going to Oklahoma anyway, but Iowa went the route of "interviewing" him for the job rather than "wooing" him. A committee composed of a cross-section of the university in charge of the process. It was nuts. Like they were hiring an Associate Vice President or something.

I think they interviewed Bob in an airport conference room in Atlanta or something. Really rolled out the red carpet for him.

We got so lucky with KF, he was basically a panic hire, an NFL o-line coach who was part of a staff that was about to be fired. Most fans (including me) thought the hire was a disaster at the time, but nobody blamed Ferentz for taking the job--we all wished him well--just thought he was probably in way over his head. Bowlsby on the other hand.......

Bob wanted Iowa to hand him the job on a silver platter, like Oklahoma did. Iowa wanted him to "work for it". Bob went with the people who: a) buttered him up and kissed his fanny and b) gave him a deadline.

The Stoops thing is ancient history. We've all moved on. It's been fun to watch OU fans freak out the last week, but it's ancient history at this point.

Kirk has been great for the Iowa program, overall, and who's to say Stoops wouldn't have jumped ship from Iowa when the Florida job came open.

Kirk just needs to refocus on what made us great (O-line) and we will get there.

Can someone explain why we didn't hire Bob Stoops and went with KF. I rly don't remember the whole situation and how it played out. I would have thought Stoops would have wanted to coach at his alma mater?

Kirk isn't going anywhere I know that but lets say he retired after this season would Bob Stoops consider Coaching here.
The first time around, Iowa had a search process and Stoops accepted an OU offer before Iowa finished the search.

For the 2nd question, who knows. If Bob is still interested in coaching, he probably would consider coaching here, he very clearly still loves Iowa……but he’s also coached for a long time and been out for a few years, so he may not want to go back into it.

It's funny, too, looking back. I remember what a huge deal it was that Oklahoma offered Bob "One Million Dollars" per year to take the job.
Hilarious and sad, all at the same time how much money is thrown around now.
Sickening might be a better word.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Take it for what it is worth, but I heard from a college coach down in Texas with Iowa ties that if KF resigned in another two years, Stoops would strongly consider the job. This person said Stoops wants to get back into coaching soon, which shocked me. Said if KF hangs on longer then that, the interest won’t be there.

Take it for what it is worth, but I heard from a college coach down in Texas with Iowa ties that if KF resigned in another two years, Stoops would strongly consider the job. This person said Stoops wants to get back into coaching soon, which shocked me. Said if KF hangs on longer then that, the interest won’t be there.
i had heard 5 years

Reactions: WestIAHawk
Bob could have had either job. Iowa wasnt going to hire anyone over him if he wanted it. So at the end of the day he chose Oklahoma. The "reasons" it didnt happen give plausable excuses for both sides. But he simply chose Oklahoma.

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild

My brother is a big OKLAHOMA booster. Bob Stoops will not and I repeat will not coach at Iowa or anywhere else. He really enjoys his life right now.

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild
Essentially, one school went for the big play while the other played-not-to-lose.
Iowa was hiring by committee and was lackadaisical and dragged their feet for a couple weeks, Oklahaoma AD
took charge and offered Bob Stoops the job. Iowa maybe could have hired Bob Stoops before Oklahahoma got interested, but once interested Oklahoma appeared to be the better job. I have no inside knowledge on any of this or does anybody else except Stoops, but remember hearing Steve Spurrier advised him to take the Okllahoma job and Iowa thought Bob Stoops would be hard to control, in otherward the AD did not want to be second fiddle to the football coach

Iowa was still in the interview process when they interviewed Bob and didn’t offer him the job because of where they were in the hiring process. They weren’t going to be held hostage by Stoops and his offer from Oklahoma so they told him they still had people to interview then they would get back to him. Bob told them he had an offer on the table from OU and had 24 hours to make a decision. Bob had to take the OU job with no offer on the table from Iowa.

It worked out for both schools but Iowa had a chance to hire Stoops but as we know, that didn’t happen. Fry wanted Stoops first and foremost and I even heard Gable went to Bowlsby’s house late at night after talking to Stoops and told Gable he was going to take the OU job. Bowlsby told Gable to go home and go to bed as they still had people to interview, including Ferentz. And as we all know, Stoops took the OU job and Iowa hired Ferentz a week later or so.

It is fun to read all the could haves, should haves and conspiracy theories thrown at the Iowa administration at time of the Stoops and KF hirings. Oklahoma was one of the top five college coaching positions in the country with national championships in their background and a very fertile recruiting area. They only had to beat Texas and Nebby for a successful season. Iowa never approached that kind of football glory. (Check our won-lost records against OSU and Michigan.) Fry had come in and pulled Iowa out of the wilderness, but at the time it looked like Iowa was headed back,

Stoops would have had to be a fool to take the Iowa job over the Sooners. He may have played a few games flirting with Iowa just to get his OK salary and perks a little higher. People are foolish to think he would come to Iowa now considering the work and time required when he is already living in the middle of easy street.

Stoops was probably going to Oklahoma anyway, but Iowa went the route of "interviewing" him for the job rather than "wooing" him. A committee composed of a cross-section of the university in charge of the process. It was nuts. Like they were hiring an Associate Vice President or something.

I think they interviewed Bob in an airport conference room in Atlanta or something. Really rolled out the red carpet for him.

We got so lucky with KF, he was basically a panic hire, an NFL o-line coach who was part of a staff that was about to be fired. Most fans (including me) thought the hire was a disaster at the time, but nobody blamed Ferentz for taking the job--we all wished him well--just thought he was probably in way over his head. Bowlsby on the other hand.......
No Iowa didn't roll out the red carpet for Bob unless you call a 3-hour interview with a "committee" in an Atlanta airport conference room with a "we will get back to you" "red carpet treatment". Never was offered the job even. This was not all on Bowlsby at all. Blame Mary Sue Coleman and Ann Rhodes.

Last edited:

From two members I personally know that were on Iowa's search committee that verified the facts the same way:

Stoops was interviewed by the Iowa "committee" in a conference room at the Atlanta airport . Iowa had already interviewed Terry Allen, Chuck Long, and Don Patterson for the job.

The committee was Bowlsby, Gable, Mark Jennings, alum Marv Cook, current player Randy Reiners, Ann Rhodes (Mary Sue's right hand girl), and I believe one or two other faculty members who didn't know a football from a golf ball. Meanwhile, OU had a one man committee-- their AD.

Stoops had a deadline of 6:00 p.m. the day Iowa interviewed him from Oklahoma's AD, Joe Castiglione to accept Oklahoma's offer or not-- they wanted to know so they could move on or know they got their guy.

Stoops expected the Iowa offer that day. He never was given an official offer by Iowa because they had promised an interview the next day in Cleveland to a guy named Kirk Ferentz. After the interview concluded, Bob called two Iowa people he was close to-- trainer John Streif and associate AD Dan Gable (he was unable to make the Atlanta trip though he was on the search committee) just to get clarity "why" no offer had been given.

After talking to both of them, he called Castiglione and accepted the "sure" offer he already had that was going off the table in only a few short hours.

So Bob never officially got an offer from Iowa and the "committee" approach of Iowa stalled the entire process while Castiglione knew who he wanted and made a bee line right to him. (FYI- Castiglione interviews Stoops only one or two days before Iowa did and they did that interview in Dallas).

Bob's brother Mike confirmed less than two weeks later privately Bob would have taken the Iowa job had it been offered that day- even though his mentor at the time, Steve Spurrier, told him to take the OU offer over Iowa's. He was also given no certainty it would have even been offered after the Ferentz interview.

Bob made the right move under the circumstances.

That's the facts jack.

Last edited:
It is fun to read all the could haves, should haves and conspiracy theories thrown at the Iowa administration at time of the Stoops and KF hirings. Oklahoma was one of the top five college coaching positions in the country with national championships in their background and a very fertile recruiting area. They only had to beat Texas and Nebby for a successful season. Iowa never approached that kind of football glory. (Check our won-lost records against OSU and Michigan.) Fry had come in and pulled Iowa out of the wilderness, but at the time it looked like Iowa was headed back,

Stoops would have had to be a fool to take the Iowa job over the Sooners. He may have played a few games flirting with Iowa just to get his OK salary and perks a little higher. People are foolish to think he would come to Iowa now considering the work and time required when he is already living in the middle of easy street.
Don't let a good story get in the way of the facts as they say. Maybe you'd have done exactly what you described, but Stoops wasn't going to had he been offered the Iowa job.

Bob wanted Iowa to hand him the job on a silver platter, like Oklahoma did. Iowa wanted him to "work for it". Bob went with the people who: a) buttered him up and kissed his fanny and b) gave him a deadline.
You have this right. I've supplied the specific details.

Is Castiglione making sure Bob knew he was the #1 candidate for the job "buttering him up" and "kissing his ass"? LOL

Castiglione's single person approach (him) ran circles around the Iowa "committee" approach insisted upon by Mary Sue Coleman which is how Bob landed at OU--and yes, the deadline Castiglione laid out.

Agree, it's old history now. Bob is now in the college football HOF and Kirk has had a good career at Iowa. All worked out.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkdave007
From two members I personally know that were on Iowa's search committee that verified the facts the same way:

Stoops was interviewed by the Iowa "committee" in a conference room at the Atlanta airport . Iowa had already interviewed Terry Allen, Chuck Long, and Don Patterson for the job.

The committee was Bowlsby, Gable, Mark Jennings, alum Marv Cook, current player Randy Reiners, Ann Rhodes (Mary Sue's right hand girl), and I believe one or two other faculty members. Meanwhile, OU had a one man committee-- their AD.

Stoops had a deadline of 6:00 p.m. the day Iowa interviewed him from Oklahoma's AD, Joe Castiglione to accept Oklahoma's offer or not-- they wanted to know so they could move on or know they got their guy.

Stoops expected the Iowa offer that day. He never was given an official offer by Iowa because they had promised an interview the next day in Cleveland to a guy named Kirk Ferentz. After the interview concluded, Bob called two Iowa people he was close to-- trainer John Streif and associate AD Dan Gable (he was unable to make the Atlanta trip though he was on the search committee) just to get clarity "why" no offer had been given.

After talking to both of them, he called Castiglione and accepted the "sure" offer he already had that was going off the table in only a few short hours.

So Bob never officially got an offer from Iowa and the "committee" approach of Iowa stalled the entire process while Castiglione knew who he wanted and made a bee line right to him. (FYI- Castiglione interviews Stoops only one or two days before Iowa did and they did that interview in Dallas).

Bob's brother Mike confirmed less than two weeks later privately Bob would have taken the Iowa job had it been offered that day- even though his mentor at the time, Steve Spurrier, told him to take the OU offer over Iowa's. He was also given no certainty it would have even been offered after the Ferentz interview.

That's the facts jack.
Thanks for that - never heard the full story just bits and pieces

Reactions: frydaze
Thanks for that - never heard the full story just bits and pieces
You're welcome TR.

As I posted also-- all old history now. Both Stoops and Ferentz went on to have good coaching careers-- Bob now in the HOF.

Just interesting how it all worked out though.

FYI- Bowlsby's top choice actually was Terry Allen at the beginning but thankfully some powerful donors quickly talked him out of that.

And had Bob Elliott not had a cancer bout and had to withdraw from putting his hat in the ring, he would have "likely" been the guy Bowlsby hired.

And thank Mike Haight and a few former Hawks who played under Ferentz for getting Kirk's name on the interview schedule as when the process started, Bowlsby did not even have Ferentz on his "short list".

The committee was Bowlsby, Gable, Mark Jennings, alum Marv Cook, current player Randy Reiners, Ann Rhodes (Mary Sue's right hand girl), and I believe one or two other faculty members who didn't know a football from a golf ball. Meanwhile, OU had a one man committee-- their AD.

That's the facts jack.
Thanks Good information

frydaze, yes, Terry Allen was basically in as the coach until donors found out.
Can you imagine the disaster that would have been?

Bowlsby had an affection for Allen from his UNI days with him. Insane logic.

Reactions: DEMGR
I've told this story a million times but people refuse to believe or don't want to believe it. I know players that played with Bob and know him well and have told me for fact that Bob loves Iowa but just take into account what you would do if offered the Oklahoma job and Iowa job. What are the chances of winning a National title at Iowa compared to Oklahoma. Wise up fans and quit looking through your black and gold glasses.

I've told this story a million times but people refuse to believe or don't want to believe it. I know players that played with Bob and know him well and have told me for fact that Bob loves Iowa but just take into account what you would do if offered the Oklahoma job and Iowa job. What are the chances of winning a National title at Iowa compared to Oklahoma. Wise up fans and quit looking through your black and gold glasses.
But sadly you don't know the facts. Instead, you just go on theory.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Iowa was still in the interview process when they interviewed Bob and didn’t offer him the job because of where they were in the hiring process. They weren’t going to be held hostage by Stoops and his offer from Oklahoma so they told him they still had people to interview then they would get back to him. Bob told them he had an offer on the table from OU and had 24 hours to make a decision. Bob had to take the OU job with no offer on the table from Iowa.

It worked out for both schools but Iowa had a chance to hire Stoops but as we know, that didn’t happen. Fry wanted Stoops first and foremost and I even heard Gable went to Bowlsby’s house late at night after talking to Stoops and told Gable he was going to take the OU job. Bowlsby told Gable to go home and go to bed as they still had people to interview, including Ferentz. And as we all know, Stoops took the OU job and Iowa hired Ferentz a week later or so.

This is 100% accurate.

Bob made the right move under the circumstanes.

That's the facts jack.
Other than the last full paragraph regarding Mike Stoops and Steve Spurrier (which has never been shared with me), this is exactly what was shared with me by a member of the search committee with whom I used to work.

Other than the last full paragraph regarding Mike Stoops and Steve Spurrier (which has never been shared with me), this is exactly what was shared with me by a member of the search committee with whom I used to work.
Yep, Mike Stoops did say this and true story of Spurrier's advice to Stoops.

That's the facts jack.
I do find it funny though that you called him, "a guy named Kirk Ferentz"? Like no one at the University or Bob would have known who he was. That he'd been on the staff under Fry when he had his best years, or that he was making a name for himself in the NFL before the mess with Cleveland and Belecheck......

Stoops was a great Hawk. I love how even now when he gets the chance doing a tv gig that he still shows his love for Iowa.
But it seems incredibly unlikely that he would come back to coaching at his age after what he already accomplished at ou.

I do find it funny though that you called him, "a guy named Kirk Ferentz"? Like no one at the University or Bob would have known who he was. That he'd been on the staff under Fry when he had his best years, or that he was making a name for himself in the NFL before the mess with Cleveland and Belecheck......
Ferentz was not even on Bowlsby's list of candidates to interview at the beginning. I told the story earlier here.

This is exactly right, exactly what happened. Bowlsby did not need another Iowa legend dwarfing him in the chain of command. But there's only one reality and success at Oklahoma is certainly more attainable than success at Iowa. We will simply never know how an alternate history would have unfolded. Probably time for all of us to leave it at that.​

Without that committee you would have had Terry Allen- not Bob Stoops, Kirk Ferentz, Chuck Long, or Don Patterson…you would have had Terry Allen

No Iowa didn't roll out the red carpet for Bob unless you call a 3-hour interview with a "committee" in an Atlanta airport conference room with a "we will get back to you" "red carpet treatment". Never was offered the job even. This was not all on Bowlsby at all. Blame Mary Sue Coleman and Ann Rhodes.
Wrong. You can blame them for a committee, that’s it. BB had terry allen in his sites. KF APPLIED, after urging of former colleagues, when Stoops was slow played. For days Stoopies camp was contacting Iowa saying the OU thing was real. Can’t wait for 2 more interviews to occur. Chuck Long and Donny P were courtesy interviews. KF was not ‘sought’.

Ferentz impressed when he interviewed. Two members of the committee knew him well- Marv Cook and Mark Jennings. To BB he was the just the 5th candidate needed to meet what the committee outlined as a representative pool.

Terry Allen had a team meeting and press conference in Lawrence scheduled the very same day Ferentz interviewed. It was scheduled after Stoops told the committee to shove it.

In the day of fax machines and answering machines, the UIF and Presidents office were inundated.

a member of the committee, told BB he couldn’t go w/TA.

TA’s press conference then turned into ‘I love KU, wouldn’t want to be anywhere else’. KF was announced. TA was fired at KU the next year.

the committee structure got blamed for missing out on stoops. BB stomped his feet, was able to proceed w/o a committee for the basketball search. Acting alone, he gave us Steve Alford.

yes, I had a fascinating front row seat for this.

last note, during the Ferentz welcome reception the night he arrived in IC- big donors, in the banquet space on the top floor of the Leavitt Center, it was jovial as most were familiar w/Kirk. Bowlsby was shunned…he was incredibly uncomfortable that evening. Incredibly uncomfortable

Bob could have had either job. Iowa wasnt going to hire anyone over him if he wanted it. So at the end of the day he chose Oklahoma. The "reasons" it didnt happen give plausable excuses for both sides. But he simply chose Oklahoma.
Maybe, but if you look at the cupboards at that time OU’s was full, IOWA’s was far from it. Maybe the rebuild wasn’t what B Stoops had in mind at the time. Just my opinion,

ADVERTISEMENT