ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Stoops

Ferentz was not even on Bowlsby's list of candidates to interview at the beginning. I told the story earlier here.
My mention to "Bob" was to Stoops, not dumb ass Bowlsby. KF was an assistant when Bob played at Iowa, hence he knew who Kirk was.

Reactions: amahawk
Maybe, but if you look at the cupboards at that time OU’s was full, IOWA’s was far from it. Maybe the rebuild wasn’t what B Stoops had in mind at the time. Just my opinion,
I agree, thats what I meant. He could have had either job. He chose Oklahoma.

Wrong. You can blame them for a committee, that’s it. BB had terry allen in his sites. KF APPLIED, after urging of former colleagues, when Stoops was slow played. For days Stoopies camp was contacting Iowa saying the OU thing was real. Can’t wait for 2 more interviews to occur. Chuck Long and Donny P were courtesy interviews. KF was not ‘sought’.

Ferentz impressed when he interviewed. Two members of the committee knew him well- Marv Cook and Mark Jennings. To BB he was the just the 5th candidate needed to meet what the committee outlined as a representative pool.

Terry Allen had a team meeting and press conference in Lawrence scheduled the very same day Ferentz interviewed. It was scheduled after Stoops told the committee to shove it.

In the day of fax machines and answering machines, the UIF and Presidents office were inundated.

a member of the committee, told BB he couldn’t go w/TA.

TA’s press conference then turned into ‘I love KU, wouldn’t want to be anywhere else’. KF was announced. TA was fired at KU the next year.

the committee structure got blamed for missing out on stoops. BB stomped his feet, was able to proceed w/o a committee for the basketball search. Acting alone, he gave us Steve Alford.

yes, I had a fascinating front row seat for this.

last note, during the Ferentz welcome reception the night he arrived in IC- big donors, in the banquet space on the top floor of the Leavitt Center, it was jovial as most were familiar w/Kirk. Bowlsby was shunned…he was incredibly uncomfortable that evening. Incredibly uncomfortable
What did you say here that was any different than what I mentioned in my first post yesterday on this that came directly to me from TWO members on the search committee? Seriously dude, maybe go back and read my posts from yesterday on the subject and tell me what's different.

Mary Sue is the one who forced a "committee" and for that reason Castiglione of OU played us like a fiddle. He got to act alone. So Mary Sue did hinder the process.

Ferentz expressed his interest in the job, but was NOT on Bowlsby's list to interview. He was the 5th and final guy added to interview list and you can thank former Hawks Mike Haight, Lon Olejnicazk (not on the committee) and a few others for helping that happen with their strong recommendations. Bowlsby did not know much of Ferentz as Kirk was leaving for Maine when Bowlsby was hired at Iowa as AD in 1990.

As I said earlier, Bowlsby wanted to go with Terry Allen. And had Bob Elliott never been diagnosed for cancer right before Hayden stepped down, and was a viable candidate, Elliott "likely" was the guy Bowlsby wanted in the job after Allen was pushed to the side.

For the record, Ferentz was very impressive in his interview in Cleveland with Iowa's committee on the same day Bob was being introduced as OUs HC and after Kirk's interview, knowing Stoops was now off the table, Kirk was the very obvious choice of the committee.

And yes, Long and Patterson were courtesy interviews.

Abd you're right, because of the backlash from fans/donors of the "committee" approach with the football search, Bowlsby was allowed to find a basketball hire only a few months later in Alford all by himself-- though he had Associate AD Mark Jennings with him throughout the process.

Last edited:
I agree, thats what I meant. He could have had either job. He chose Oklahoma.
Again, wrong. He "may" have been offered the Iowa job within a couple days from when he took the OU offer but when he took that offer, there was no Iowa offer on the table. Bob took the one and only certain offer he had and Castiglione pressured him with a deadline so that's what Bob felt he had to do-- afterall, it was Oklahoma.

What did you say here that was any different than what I mentioned in my first post yesterday on this that came directly to me from TWO members on the search committee? Seriously dude, maybe go back and read my posts from yesterday on the subject and tell me what's different.

Mary Sue is the one who forced a "committee" and for that reason Castiglione of OU played us like a fiddle. He got to act alone. So Mary Sue did hinder the process.

Ferentz expressed his interest in the job, but was NOT on Bowlsby's list to interview. He was the 5th and final guy added to interview list and you can thank former Hawks Mike Haight, Lon Olejnicazk, and a few others for helping that happen with their strong recommendations. Bowlsby did not know much of Ferentz as Kirk was leaving for Maine when Bowlsby was hired at Iowa as AD in 1990.

As I said earlier, Bowlsby wanted to go with Terry Allen. And had Bob Elliott never been diagnosed for cancer right before Hayden stepped down, and was a viable candidate, Elliott "likely" was the guy Bowlsby wanted in the job after Allen was pushed to the side.
If I'm reading it right I think his point is you can blame Mary Sue for the committee but you can't blame her or the committee for not getting Stoops because if it were only the AD it would have been Allen all the way. I wasn't there and am not in the know, but that's how I read Cecil's comment. He's been known to be very well connected in the past.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Again, wrong. He "may" have been offered the Iowa job within a couple days from when he took the OU offer but when he took that offer, there was no Iowa offer on the table. Bob took the one and only certain offer he had and Castiglione pressured him with a deadline so that's what Bob felt he had to do-- afterall, it was Oklahoma.
I dont think he may have been offered. I am certain he would have been offered. you disagree. fine.

I dont think he may have been offered. I am certain he would have been offered. you disagree. fine.
I do think in the very end Black Bob Stoops WOULD have been offered, yes. But at the time he accepted OUs offer, Bob had not been formally offered the Iowa job and he was not 100% certain he would be offered-- though odds said he likely would have been.

Bowlsby had Terry Allen kicked to the curb by others (thankfully) and we know what happened with Bob Elliott. But there was enormous pressure on reeling in Stoops that in the end I do think Stoops would have been offered. The timing just didn't work for Stoops nor Iowa.

Last edited:
I do not know all the details, but I do remember that fall "everyone knew" Bob Stoops would be the next Iowa Head Coach. I am a Ferentz fan and who knows what it would have been like with Stoops.

Reactions: frydaze
I do not know all the details, but I do remember that fall "everyone knew" Bob Stoops would be the next Iowa Head Coach. I am a Ferentz fan and who knows what it would have been like with Stoops.
This is why Bob Stoops was shocked Iowa didn't make him a formal offer when they interviewed him-- especially knowing Oklahoma had just put an offer on the table the day before. Some people thought Stoops was being arrogant in being upset he didn't get the Iowa offer. No, it was because he had heard from all channels he was the man Iowa wanted when Hayden retired. I'd have been shocked at what transpired also.

Reactions: steve malkmus
You have this right. I've supplied the specific details.

Is Castiglione making sure Bob knew he was the #1 candidate for the job "buttering him up" and "kissing his ass"? LOL

Castiglione's single person approach (him) ran circles around the Iowa "committee" approach insisted upon by Mary Sue Coleman which is how Bob landed at OU--and yes, the deadline Castiglione laid out.

Agree, it's old history now. Bob is now in the college football HOF and Kirk has had a good career at Iowa. All worked out.
Why the hell have an AD if you outsource one of the most important hires????

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Wrong. You can blame them for a committee, that’s it. BB had terry allen in his sites. KF APPLIED, after urging of former colleagues, when Stoops was slow played. For days Stoopies camp was contacting Iowa saying the OU thing was real. Can’t wait for 2 more interviews to occur. Chuck Long and Donny P were courtesy interviews. KF was not ‘sought’.

Ferentz impressed when he interviewed. Two members of the committee knew him well- Marv Cook and Mark Jennings. To BB he was the just the 5th candidate needed to meet what the committee outlined as a representative pool.

Terry Allen had a team meeting and press conference in Lawrence scheduled the very same day Ferentz interviewed. It was scheduled after Stoops told the committee to shove it.

In the day of fax machines and answering machines, the UIF and Presidents office were inundated.

a member of the committee, told BB he couldn’t go w/TA.

TA’s press conference then turned into ‘I love KU, wouldn’t want to be anywhere else’. KF was announced. TA was fired at KU the next year.

the committee structure got blamed for missing out on stoops. BB stomped his feet, was able to proceed w/o a committee for the basketball search. Acting alone, he gave us Steve Alford.

yes, I had a fascinating front row seat for this.

last note, during the Ferentz welcome reception the night he arrived in IC- big donors, in the banquet space on the top floor of the Leavitt Center, it was jovial as most were familiar w/Kirk. Bowlsby was shunned…he was incredibly uncomfortable that evening. Incredibly uncomfortable
Correct. If the committee had not existed, the most likely scenario is Terry Allen becoming coach at Iowa. Barf. The committee and Marv Cook saved Iowa from becoming Purdue with the hiring of Allen.

On his return to coaching “It was fun. It’s good to be around the young guys again and glad they all bought in.” Anyone that says he doesn’t wanna come back and wouldn’t come back to Iowa are full of shit.
If KF were to hang it up after the Citrus Bowl or in the next 2 years, whoever the iowa AD is needs to at least make the call to him to find out if he wants the job.

At the time, some members of Iowa's committee just didn't understand how football coaches get hired. They viewed it like it was any other university position--you know, you talk about it, you interview people, you talk about it some more, maybe you interview another guy, you meet again, etc. They didn't understand that when you have a guy like Bobby Stoops just sitting there waiting for an offer, all that usual crap goes right out the window: you either hire him ASAP or you'll miss out.

Don't forget, there was an Iowa president just the previous decade who'd wanted to de-emphasize Iowa athletics to the point of basically killing it off, and during that era the Big Ten unilaterally floated the idea of making freshmen ineligible for varsity play again. So, some of the members of the hiring committee (you can guess which ones) were NOT going to cut corners when it came to the hiring process, and just willy-nilly throw an offer the way of Bob Stoops just because this was a football coaching hire. Oh no, they were going to do the usual process

Luckily they didn't screw it up, and got KF anyway.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
At the time, some members of Iowa's committee just didn't understand how football coaches get hired. They viewed it like it was any other university position--you know, you talk about it, you interview people, you talk about it some more, maybe you interview another guy, you meet again, etc. They didn't understand that when you have a guy like Bobby Stoops just sitting there waiting for an offer, all that usual crap goes right out the window: you either hire him ASAP or you'll miss out.

Don't forget, there was an Iowa president just the previous decade who'd wanted to de-emphasize Iowa athletics to the point of basically killing it off, and during that era the Big Ten unilaterally floated the idea of making freshmen ineligible for varsity play again. So, some of the members of the hiring committee (you can guess which ones) were NOT going to cut corners when it came to the hiring process, and just willy-nilly throw an offer the way of Bob Stoops just because this was a football coaching hire. Oh no, they were going to do the usual process

Luckily they didn't screw it up, and got KF anyway.
This. Total arrogance by Iowa at that point. While Kirk has been a very very solid head coach, Stoops was a home run hire. It's no different today. Obviously on a much smaller scale, I've had to hire 2 new sales people in the last year. My old partner (since passed away) would never have hired them w/the money they were looking for. They were both clearly the right candidates and I was not going to lose either one of them. While we were worried that they were making more money than some of the existing people, you do whatever you have to do to get the right people. And it has worked out great.

From two members I personally know that were on Iowa's search committee that verified the facts the same way:

Stoops was interviewed by the Iowa "committee" in a conference room at the Atlanta airport . Iowa had already interviewed Terry Allen, Chuck Long, and Don Patterson for the job.

The committee was Bowlsby, Gable, Mark Jennings, alum Marv Cook, current player Randy Reiners, Ann Rhodes (Mary Sue's right hand girl), and I believe one or two other faculty members who didn't know a football from a golf ball. Meanwhile, OU had a one man committee-- their AD.

Stoops had a deadline of 6:00 p.m. the day Iowa interviewed him from Oklahoma's AD, Joe Castiglione to accept Oklahoma's offer or not-- they wanted to know so they could move on or know they got their guy.

Stoops expected the Iowa offer that day. He never was given an official offer by Iowa because they had promised an interview the next day in Cleveland to a guy named Kirk Ferentz. After the interview concluded, Bob called two Iowa people he was close to-- trainer John Streif and associate AD Dan Gable (he was unable to make the Atlanta trip though he was on the search committee) just to get clarity "why" no offer had been given.

After talking to both of them, he called Castiglione and accepted the "sure" offer he already had that was going off the table in only a few short hours.

So Bob never officially got an offer from Iowa and the "committee" approach of Iowa stalled the entire process while Castiglione knew who he wanted and made a bee line right to him. (FYI- Castiglione interviews Stoops only one or two days before Iowa did and they did that interview in Dallas).

Bob's brother Mike confirmed less than two weeks later privately Bob would have taken the Iowa job had it been offered that day- even though his mentor at the time, Steve Spurrier, told him to take the OU offer over Iowa's. He was also given no certainty it would have even been offered after the Ferentz interview.

Bob made the right move under the circumstances.

That's the facts jack.
This is exactly how it went down

From two members I personally know that were on Iowa's search committee that verified the facts the same way:

Stoops was interviewed by the Iowa "committee" in a conference room at the Atlanta airport . Iowa had already interviewed Terry Allen, Chuck Long, and Don Patterson for the job.

The committee was Bowlsby, Gable, Mark Jennings, alum Marv Cook, current player Randy Reiners, Ann Rhodes (Mary Sue's right hand girl), and I believe one or two other faculty members who didn't know a football from a golf ball. Meanwhile, OU had a one man committee-- their AD.

Stoops had a deadline of 6:00 p.m. the day Iowa interviewed him from Oklahoma's AD, Joe Castiglione to accept Oklahoma's offer or not-- they wanted to know so they could move on or know they got their guy.

Stoops expected the Iowa offer that day. He never was given an official offer by Iowa because they had promised an interview the next day in Cleveland to a guy named Kirk Ferentz. After the interview concluded, Bob called two Iowa people he was close to-- trainer John Streif and associate AD Dan Gable (he was unable to make the Atlanta trip though he was on the search committee) just to get clarity "why" no offer had been given.

After talking to both of them, he called Castiglione and accepted the "sure" offer he already had that was going off the table in only a few short hours.

So Bob never officially got an offer from Iowa and the "committee" approach of Iowa stalled the entire process while Castiglione knew who he wanted and made a bee line right to him. (FYI- Castiglione interviews Stoops only one or two days before Iowa did and they did that interview in Dallas).

Bob's brother Mike confirmed less than two weeks later privately Bob would have taken the Iowa job had it been offered that day- even though his mentor at the time, Steve Spurrier, told him to take the OU offer over Iowa's. He was also given no certainty it would have even been offered after the Ferentz interview.

Bob made the right move under the circumstances.

That's the facts jack.
I heard pretty much the same thing from one of the committee members but he said they found out on the plane that Stoops had taken the OU job and the KF interview was set up after that. It doesn''t matter, the committee shit the bed with Stoops and they lucked out with Kirk as their fall back. I'll never forget running into my roommate on campus and him breaking the news about Stoops. Not a happy day to say the least

How fun it must have been for Bob to be the guest coach when his walk-on son grabbed the first TD pass. He sure looked like he was having a great time on the sidelines.

Reactions: pink shizzle
I heard pretty much the same thing from one of the committee members but he said they found out on the plane that Stoops had taken the OU job and the KF interview was set up after that. It doesn''t matter, the committee shit the bed with Stoops and they lucked out with Kirk as their fall back. I'll never forget running into my roommate on campus and him breaking the news about Stoops. Not a happy day to say the least
You are right as far as WHEN the committee found out Bob had taken OUs offer.

The Kirk interview was added a few days before Stoops was interviewed and Bob was specifically told at his interview that the committee had one more interview to go through and it would be the next day-- though he wasn't told with whom.

You're right, a day that angered many Hawk fans when they saw the live press conference on TV in Norman of Bob being introduced as OUs new coach.

I am embarrased now by how pissed off I was. Bob Stoops coming here gave some hope during those bleak Hayden years. It was a done deal. He even turned down Minnesota the year prior. It was like getting dumped at the altar lol.

I have a better perspective now on life and sports.

I am embarrased now by how pissed off I was. Bob Stoops coming here gave some hope during those bleak Hayden years. It was a done deal. He even turned down Minnesota the year prior. It was like getting dumped at the altar lol.

Bleak Hayden years? Yes, 98 was a train wreck and it was obvious Hayden was done. They were 24-12, 2-1 in bowl games and finished ranked twice between 95-97. Ask any ISU fan what bleak looks like.

Bleak Hayden years? Yes, 98 was a train wreck and it was obvious Hayden was done. They were 24-12, 2-1 in bowl games and finished ranked twice between 95-97. Ask any ISU fan what bleak looks like.
I know I was there. You could feel it coming. 95-97 were great but I think most felt the championship days were long gone. 92-94 was brutal. 98. Im just saying that most people felt that Haydens best years were long gone. There was a lot of Bob Stoops chatter even prior to 98.

Bob looked young and in great spirits on the sidelines last night. He could step in and coach for 10 years.
He absolutely could. But if he wanted to coach I assume he would had a shot to go back to OK.

Anyway, he has a pretty great life now. Healthy, good looking, rich and gets paid for talking and laughing on TV. Give that up for the grind of coaching football? Nah.

Yep, Bob turned down the chance to be the HC at Minnesota because he was waiting for the Iowa job.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Bob's football heart is in Iowa City. And always will be. I don't care that he wasn't hired as our coach in 1999, and I don't think he'll ever coach or work for the U of I in the future. But, Bob is a Hawkeye. He homers it and he's proud of it. That's good enough for me. We've done pretty damn well with Kirk at the helm regardless.

I know I was there. You could feel it coming. 95-97 were great but I think most felt the championship days were long gone. 92-94 was brutal. 98. Im just saying that most people felt that Haydens best years were long gone. There was a lot of Bob Stoops chatter even prior to 98.

The 90s were possibly meh but not bleak. 92-94 were pretty comparable to 12-14. Hayden lost too many quality assistants by then.

He absolutely could. But if he wanted to coach I assume he would had a shot to go back to OK.

Anyway, he has a pretty great life now. Healthy, good looking, rich and gets paid for talking and laughing on TV. Give that up for the grind of coaching football? Nah.

I thought the same thing about Gruden until the Raiders threw 100 mil his way. Bob is a million times the human being Gruden is, btw.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
ADVERTISEMENT