ADVERTISEMENT

Bodycam Footage released on Rayshard Brooks shooting.

archmage2002

HR All-American
Sep 8, 2002

Most people seem to think that it was fully justified. I lean heavily in that direction that it was justified, those who disagree seem to focus on the fact he was shot in the back while running away and seem to dismiss the key reason why it was justified, aka he fired the taser at the officer.

It is also interesting to note that the officer who taser was stolen didn't actually use it on the Brooks because he was trying to give Brooks a chance to stop resisting and Brooks took advantage of it.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion but it looked like a justified shooting. Most every use of force is judged by reasonableness. Would it be reasonable, for an officer with the same training and experience, to do the same thing in an identical situation. Officers aren’t required to meet the suspect with equal force. For example, if a suspect is holding a firearm, a cop doesn’t have to wait until they are shot at or even aimed at to use lethal force. Back when the use of force continuum was more prevalent, it was generally one step above the suspect’s action.

1. Suspect aimed and shot less lethal munition at the officer. The cop dropped his taser because he doesn’t have to meet with equal force and one step above a taser, is a firearm. (Unlikely the officer’s taser would reach or make a connection).
3. Suspect was running away while also pointing and firing the taser at the officer (not quite the same thing as the fleeing felon rule) The suspect wasn’t that far away and it’s possible the suspect could have quickly turned around.
5. This happened very fast and LEO training would likely justify this action even if the suspect was facing away from him because the suspect was still technically an active threat (The officer fired right after the taser was shot at them) (Officer could also claim he thought it was a firearm).
6. There are a lot of training paradigms that would make the public very uncomfortable if they didn’t understand the “why.”
7. This is quite different than the Floyd and the LivePD case as they were both already incapacitated, this person was still an active threat.
8. Have to judge this from the information the officer had at the time, their training, experience, and the reasonableness of their decision; not based on what we know after the fact.

What is tragic about this video is how well the officer engaged Brooks at the beginning of the video, then panicked and shot him while he was fleeing at the end. They had all the information they needed, including the car, to track Brooks down at a later date for his offenses.

Last edited:
It was two vs. 1 and the dude pointed a taser. I don’t think that deserve a death sentence
Nobody ever wants to discuss the lack
of compliance in 99% of these deaths. I don’t care what color you are, if you are fighting with and swinging on police officers, the chances of you being shot have increased exponentially. You steal their taser and then point it at them, you probably deserve to be shot. Comply with police officers and the chances of these situations escalating are slim. The guy could have gone home with a DUI, now he is dead as a result of his own actions. Cops were correct!

Last edited:
Three facts:

1. Brooks fired and missed with the taser. At that point, given the fact that he was fleeing, he was no longer a threat to the LEOs.

2. The LEO who shot Brooks pulled his gun and fired after Brooks had missed with the taser.

3. Brooks was running away from the LEO when he was shot.

That isn't a justified shooting, IMO.

Death penalty seems completely inappropriate for each of these transgressions.
If you’re dumb enough to do those things, death is definitely a consequence. Thank god he didn’t plow through some innocent people.

What is tragic about this video is how well the officer engaged Brooks at the beginning of the video, then panicked and shot him while he was fleeing at the end. They had all the information they needed, including the car, to track Brooks down at a later today for his offenses.

It is tragic but sadly the deciding factor was he fired the taser at the officer. If he dropped the taser, never grabbed it in the first place or continue to run away with it then they would have given up the chase and tracked him down later but he didn't do that, he tried using it on a police officer, ie: Don't fire a weapon at a police officer.

Three facts:

1. Brooks fired and missed with the taser. At that point, given the fact that he was fleeing, he was no longer a threat to the LEOs.

2. The LEO who shot Brooks pulled his gun and fired after Brooks had missed with the taser.

So it’s your stance that if you can resist arrest, start a physical confrontation, take an officers weapon and then get away, you’re free? That will make things awfully violent and dangerous for police and the public going forward. Are you sure you don’t want to put your feelings aside and think with your brain here?

I think immediately firing the police officer was probably a bad decision.

I don't think a review board will find deadly force justified.

But I agree the perp/victim made at least two really, really bad decisions. The result may not have been justified, but it was semi-predictable.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Three facts:

Same argument is made when a guy is running away with a gun in his hand. I will never fault an officer for making a split second decision to deploy their weapon when put in a situation like this. A police officer shouldn’t have to be tased simply because it is not considered a lethal weapon. There are countless variables that allows a person like you to sit in the comforts of your home and type out how that officer should have acted in that situation. You are embarrassing yourself.

It is tragic but sadly the deciding factor was he fired the taser at the officer. If he dropped the taser, never grabbed it in the first place or continue to run away with it then they would have given up the chase and tracked him down later but he didn't do that, he tried using it on a police officer, ie: Don't fire a weapon at a police officer.

Death should not be the penalty for resisting arrest and firing wildly at an officer with a non lethal weapon, while fleeing. He was shot in the back, multiple times.

Same argument is made when a guy is running away with a gun in his hand. I will never fault an officer for making a split second decision to deploy their weapon when put in a situation like this. A police officer shouldn’t have to be tased simply because it is not considered a lethal weapon. There are countless variables that allows a person like you to sit in the comforts of your home and type out how that officer should have acted in that situation. You are embarrassing yourself.

Hmm....

1. A gun can kill
2. A used taser isn't a weapon until it's reloaded
3. The officer wasn't tased and fired his gun after the taser missed him.

Speaking of embarrassing one's self.

So it’s your stance that if you can resist arrest, start a physical confrontation, take an officers weapon and then get away, you’re free? That will make things awfully violent and dangerous for police and the public going forward. Are you sure you don’t want to put your feelings aside and think with your brain here?
Yeah, it allows for open season on police officers. If you are going to do that, you damn well better increase the charges and penalty of prison time for assaulting an officer. Unfortunately, that too, would be viewed as systemic racism.

Death should not be the penalty for resisting arrest and firing wildly at an officer with a non lethal weapon, while fleeing. He was shot in the back, multiple times.
Don’t drive drunk and pass out in a drive thru. Don’t shoot cops with tasers. This guy acted like a jackass and put himself at risk. Was it right to shoot him? Probably not. Is it right to turn the drunk driver who assaulted cops into some sort of martyr? Absolutely not.

Yeah, it allows for open season on police officers. If you are going to do that, you damn well better increase the charges and penalty of prison time for assaulting an officer. Unfortunately, that too, would be viewed as systemic racism.

Open season? Really? Do you agree that if Brooks hadn't been shot he'd have eventually been arrested?

Hmm....

1. A gun can kill
2. A used taser isn't a weapon until it's reloaded
3. The officer wasn't tased and fired his gun after the taser missed him.

Speaking of embarrassing one's self.
I’m not embarrassed at all. I think the guy put himself in a likely position to he shot and killed. I know if I did what that guy did, I would be expecting to die.

Are officers trained to shoot to kill? I don't get why you don't shoot for the legs in this case?

Open season? Really? Do you agree that if Brooks hadn't been shot he'd have eventually been arrested?
What I am saying is if we just allow police officers to get punched and assaulted all of the time without increasing the consequences for doing so, you are going to have people who simply don’t care, punch officers, resist arrest, and run away. In that spur of moment, a police officer shouldn’t have to think, “there are two of us and one of him. I’m pretty sure he has a taser in his hand and not gun, so that is ok. If he hits my partner with it, it’s ok because there are two of us. Also, if my partner is incapacitated, I still have a weapon and can defend myself.”

I don’t think that is reasonable regardless of the training.

Reactions: Chuck C
Don’t drive drunk and pass out in a drive thru. Don’t shoot cops with tasers. This guy acted like a jackass and put himself at risk. Was it right to shoot him? Probably not. Is it right to turn the drunk driver who assaulted cops into some sort of martyr? Absolutely not.

You’re getting confused. The guy made several mistakes. He deserved a big penalty. But not death while fleeing the scene.

BTW, I appreciate the work the cops do every day. In big metro areas, they often confront danger when doing their jobs. Most do it well, without getting in the news.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT