ADVERTISEMENT

Bodycam Footage released on Rayshard Brooks shooting.

Yep, I bet EMTs want to be calling tow trucks and risk being assaulted even more as part of their jobs.
Sending EMTs to give drunk drivers a ride home instead of sending police to arrest them seems like a really effective way to deter drunk driving.

Hell, why even bother with EMTs? Why not just summon Uber for the guys who are too drunk or too sleepy to open the app by themselves?

Reactions: iahawks10
Sending EMTs to give drunk drivers a ride home instead of sending police to arrest them seems like a really effective way to deter drunk driving.

Hell, why even bother with EMTs? Why not just summon Uber for the guys who are too drunk or too sleepy to open the app by themselves?
So no penalty for drunk driving...just a ride home?

Yep, I bet EMTs want to be calling tow trucks and risk being assaulted even more as part of their jobs.
LOL...what makes you think Brooks would have assaulted them? He was cooperative and compliant with the police. And that you think they are out of contact with authorities while on a call is...simply stupid.

Yep, he was just sitting in his car, waiting his turn.

And after detaining him for over 40 minutes they finally decided to give him a breathalyzer to determine he was intoxicated. I wonder if by that time the guy became irritated and reacted as he did. No question he should have just complied and this could all have been avoided. But, they didn't need to shoot him in the back when he was no longer a threat.

LOL...what makes you think Brooks would have assaulted them? He was cooperative and compliant with the police. And that you think they are out of contact with authorities while on a call is...simply stupid.
There's no reason to believe Brooks would have assaulted EMTs. He was compliant until the cops tried to arrest him.

But that wasn't FAU's point. He was talking about EMTs getting assaulted in general if they were routinely sent to deal with drunk drivers. Not all drunks are as gregarious as Brooks.

And after detaining him for over 40 minutes they finally decided to give him a breathalyzer to determine he was intoxicated. I wonder if by that time the guy became irritated and reacted as he did. No question he should have just complied and this could all have been avoided. But, they didn't need to shoot him in the back when he was no longer a threat.
Lol. Brooks was irritated that the cops were wasting his time. He's got places to go and naps to take.

Wouldn’t the late breathalyzer help him? Allow the alcohol to get out of the system. Also, you don’t get one unless you fail a roadside test. So, not sure why that’s a big deal.

There's no reason to believe Brooks would have assaulted EMTs. He was compliant until the cops tried to arrest him.

But that wasn't FAU's point. He was talking about EMTs getting assaulted in general if they were routinely sent to deal with drunk drivers. Not all drunks are as gregarious as Brooks.

Not me. I haven t mentioned EMTs.

Reactions: TJ8869

Drunk drivers would be pulled over by the police, no?

Ok let's say the EMT's are called in this case, they come get him and take him to the hospital, the cops are called to come to the hospital to arrest him because he was driving drunk, does he freak out again and attack the cops?

Wouldn’t the late breathalyzer help him? Allow the alcohol to get out of the system. Also, you don’t get one unless you fail a roadside test. So, not sure why that’s a big deal.

Sure. If they thought he was intoxicated why not give him the breathalyzer immediately? He should have complied. I just disagree with the actions of what happened when he did not.

Sure. If they thought he was intoxicated why not give him the breathalyzer immediately? He should have complied. I just disagree with the actions of what happened when he did not.

Most breathalyzers don’t happen until back at the station. Roadside ones aren’t official usually.

The breathalyzer in the field is not admissible in court, it’s just a tool. The one at the station is what counts. That’s why they put you through the recognized field sobriety tests. It builds evidence.

The breathalyzer in the field is not admissible in court, it’s just a tool. The one at the station is what counts. That’s why they put you through the recognized field sobriety tests. It builds evidence.

Then why did they give it to him in the field? They do the blood draws back at the station.

Then why did they give it to him in the field? They do the blood draws back at the station.

The hand held device is called a PBT (preliminary breath test). It's not accurate enough to be admissible in court, but it is used to confirm or refute the officers observations and the field sobriety tests. The results of the breathlalyzer given at the station are admissible in court. You can refuse the test, but that results in a longer license suspension and the fact that the suspect refused is admissible evidence.

They rarely do blood draws. They are used primarily if the driver is unconscious - usually in situations where there has been a serious car accident.

Wait. You think he appeared to be sober?

During the physical tests he passed, there seemed to be a question about that. The DA explained during the investigation he acted cordial and what little I heard him speak, he sounded sober. The breathalyzer says he wasn't. The cop shot him in the back while he ran away, and killed him. that's what I disagree with.

During the physical tests he passed, there seemed to be a question about that. The DA explained during the investigation he acted cordial and what little I heard him speak, he sounded sober. The
breathalyzer says he wasn't. The cop shot him in the back while he ran away, and killed him. that's what I disagree with.

He wasn't given a breathalyzer test. The PMT had him over the limit.

Link that says he passed the 3 physical tests?

It's been reported and I watched a video almost 2 minutes long where he definitely passed the test where the cop had him watch his finger while not moving his head. Again, my point and opinion is the cop should not shot him in the back while he was running away.

Ok let's say the EMT's are called in this case, they come get him and take him to the hospital, the cops are called to come to the hospital to arrest him because he was driving drunk, does he freak out again and attack the cops?
Why would they need to arrest him? It's a f'n misdemeanor. Get the blood sample and get him home. What good does the night in jail serve?

Reactions: BelemNole
He was in physical control of the vehicle, which in Georgia is the same as being the driver of a moving vehicle.
*sigh* He was passed out in a car. Can he be charged with drunk driving? Sure. Get a blood sample and send him home. What else do you need?

It's been reported and I watched a video almost 2 minutes long where he definitely passed the test where the cop had him watch his finger while not moving his head. Again, my point and opinion is the cop should not shot him in the back while he was running away.

Lol they don't try to hold their head still as the test lol. They test if your eyes twitch when they move to each side. Any drunk could hold his head still while moving his eyes!

It’s been reported where? I can’t find a link anywhere that says he passed the physical tests.

You obviously don’t know what your talking about. When they do the finger or eye test, they’re not seeing if your head moves. They’re watching the eyeballs for a twitch that will occur uncontrollably by somebody who is impaired.

Lol they don't try to hold their head still as the test lol. They test if your eyes twitch when they move to each side. Any drunk could hold his head still while moving his eyes!

That's BS, they make the person hold their head from moving while keeping their eyes on the cop's finger.

It’s been reported where? I can’t find a link anywhere that says he passed the physical tests.

You obviously don’t know what your talking about. When they do the finger or eye test, they’re not seeing if your head moves. They’re watching the eyeballs for a twitch that will occur uncontrollably by somebody who is impaired.

They make them hold their head still and not moving it with the cop's finger.

ADVERTISEMENT