ADVERTISEMENT

Bohannon speaks....

While I don't disagree with Jordan's perspective regarding the NCAA, or his right to speak out, I hope his criticism doesn't bite the team in the butt with some critical phantom foul as it approaches the Final Four, or some other NCAA retaliation.

Reactions: JRingo
From the article:

"He says COVID-19 feels nothing like the flu. It's unimaginably worse.

“I was one of those people, I didn’t think it would affect me if I got it,” Bohannon says. “But I got it, and I was knocked on my ass for 10, 11 days. The worst headaches I’ve ever had. Fever, chills, vomiting. I felt like my esophagus was about to cave in. It was crazy. But I got through it.”"

I hope he has no lingering effects.

Reactions: pink shizzle
From the article:

“I was one of those people, I didn’t think it would affect me if I got it,” Bohannon says. “But I got it, and I was knocked on my ass for 10, 11 days. The worst headaches I’ve ever had. Fever, chills, vomiting. I felt like my esophagus was about to cave in. It was crazy. But I got through it.”"

I am sure some of the posters on here will take issue with what he has said regarding Covid-19.

“I was one of those people, I didn’t think it would affect me if I got it,”. And putting family at risk at the same time.....

From the article:

BUT THE KIDS DON'T HAVE SYMPTOMS!!!!!!

I am a bit surprised he is so pessimistic about the possibility of actually having a season. Seems as though the basketball powers did a much better job of studying the situation and developing a plan than the football people did. Obviously, it remains to be seen if the sport can keep the virus at an arm's length, but I am much more encouraged that we will have a season than I was two months ago.

Reactions: Edenprairiehawk
I am a bit surprised he is so pessimistic about the possibility of actually having a season. Seems as though the basketball powers did a much better job of studying the situation and developing a plan than the football people did. Obviously, it remains to be seen if the sport can keep the virus at an arm's length, but I am much more encouraged that we will have a season than I was two months ago.

jBo has little confidence in NCAA. Not sure why
Lower numbers make it easier to plan bubble for BB hard to do for football. Also, NCAA doesn’t control football playoffs.

If I understand the internet, if even one player on a basketball them comes down with CoronaV then the whole team is off for two to three weeks. If so it's going to be hard to have a basketball season....

If I understand the internet, if even one player on a basketball them comes down with CoronaV then the whole team is off for two to three weeks. If so it's going to be hard to have a basketball season....

I see some wiggle room/creative testing that can hit the needed numbers as long as the team doesn't have an outbreak.

There are 16 members of the Men's Basketball Team

So on a 7 day rolling average you'd have to have more than just 1 player test positive.

And could they also just keep administering tests of players that are negative? To boost the number of tests administered???

The Big Ten Conference will use data provided by each Chief Infection Officer (CInO) to make decisions about the continuation of practice and competition, as determined by team positivity rate and population positivity rate, based on a seven-day rolling average:
  • Team positivity rate (number of positive tests divided by total number of tests administered):
    • Green 0-2%
    • Orange 2-5%
    • Red >5%
  • Population positivity rate (number of positive individuals divided by total population at risk):
    • Green 0-3.5%
    • Orange 3.5-7.5%
    • Red >7.5%
Decisions to alter or halt practice and competition will be based on the following scenarios:
  • Green/Green and Green/Orange: Team continues with normal practice and competition.
  • Orange/Orange and Orange/Red: Team must proceed with caution and enhance COVID-19 prevention (alter practice and meeting schedule, consider viability of continuing with scheduled competition).
  • Red/Red: Team must stop regular practice and competition for a minimum of seven days and reassess metrics until improved.

the whole point of the antigen testing being introduced for football (I think it will be used for all athletes) is that it's done every day, it's instant so everyone else could continue to play if testing negative. You don't eliminate an entire team due to contact tracing since you are testing all the time.

If they follow the football protocol, a positive test would mean the player is out for 21 days. I'm sure more details will be released once we get closer.

I am sure some of the posters on here will take issue with what he has said regarding Covid-19.

Why would anyone take issue with it? Have always said COVID is serious. There can be honest disagreement about the best way to proceed in a pandemic. I assume they have tested him out for myocarditis effects and that there isn't evidence of any. Sucks that he had to go through that, glad that he appears to be good now.

I think basketball is looking to avoid the situation the Big 10 got in, declaring things so soon. They will likely announce a plan in the coming weeks, but are waiting to see what if any situations change in regards to the virus. They are also likely looking at differences in testing protocols between conferences and how that might work. My guess for non-conference games is that those will be held in some sort of bubble at a neutral site location, where players have to test negative before entering, and are tested while there.

For conference games, at least in the Big 10, it is more likely that teams could travel to other campuses for games as every school in the conference is following the same testing. But I could also see them going to bubble-type scenarios, where they put 4 teams in a bubble for a week and the teams play the other 3 teams in that timeframe.

Hopefully they can figure out a way for it to happen. The NCAA needs the tournament to happen as it's the real only source of revenue. The players need it to happen as it's their shot to chase their drams. And we've gone over the financial impact to all the schools if games don't get played. Won't tread that ground again.

Why would anyone take issue with it? Have always said COVID is serious. There can be honest disagreement about the best way to proceed in a pandemic. I assume they have tested him out for myocarditis effects and that there isn't evidence of any. Sucks that he had to go through that, glad that he appears to be good now.
Some still think it not something serious for college kids. I am glad that JoBo came through it well. I hope he has no long term damage/recurrences. I also am glad to hear that the team is focussed on staying healthy. This is the year!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT