ADVERTISEMENT

Bollers

So Stanford never offered? They were supposedly a player if they offered. I have heard that its Bama, but I just can't see how he would see time there. Oh well. To each his own.

Losing Bollers is not really a surprise just as probably not having much of a chance with Fidone. Fidone is enjoying the spotlight and notoriety but as his uncle recently told a good friend of mine the kid is still a big lifelong Husker fan. 3-4 years in Iowa apparently hasn't had much of an impact on that allegiance. Really hard to overcome that.

I have. He wants a 3/4 but it still hurts. It still seems like you should get them to be able to consider you. Linebackers from 4/3 defenses get drafted into NFL. Also what if he puts on 30-40 lbs and turns into a DE anyways he’s a big kid.
Doesn't hurt in any way at all. If he doesn't want to play in Iowa City no problem, go where you want to go.
Make the best decision for yourself because no one else will.

This is totally false, but anyway.
There was an article a while back where TJ was quoted saying the Iowa coaches stopped contacting him altogether. He said they didn't invite him to junior days and had zero contact with him.

Really doesn't sound like a program that is dead-set on a kid. I'm not saying Iowa wouldn't like to have him, but they clearly weren't interested enough to waste time putting the full-court press on.

https://allhawkeyes.com/pages/story/details/3474

There was an article a while back where TJ was quoted saying the Iowa coaches stopped contacting him altogether. He said they didn't invite him to junior days and had zero contact with him.

Really doesn't sound like a program that is dead-set on a kid. I'm not saying Iowa wouldn't like to have him, but they clearly weren't interested enough to waste time putting the full-court press on.

I agree with this move. Why waste the time when the kid gave every indication he wasn’t going to Iowa.

Right now, losing a talent like Bollers doesn't hurt as much considering the type of talent we currently have and are going to bring in(Deonte Craig, Jeff Bowie, etc).... Quite honestly with this current recruiting staff, the talent gap for "missing out" on a highly rated prospect and going with someone else might be even or we might be right, like in the situation with Brock and Goodson.... If this was 6 years ago, then yes, losing an in-state prospect like this would've hurt tremendously but I honestly am okay with losing out on Bollers and maybe even Fidone because I really like the guys we currently have and have recruited in their place

Reactions: cm8124

Yep. We passed. I’ve said from the beginning that if he didn’t choose Iowa I wouldn’t lose much sleep over it.

“Coach Ferentz was at my practice a little bit ago but other than that I’ve had no contact with them. No invites to junior days. Nothing.” This tells you everything you need to know. Iowa didn’t pursue him that hard .

“Coach Ferentz was at my practice a little bit ago but other than that I’ve had no contact with them. No invites to junior days. Nothing.” This tells you everything you need to know. Iowa didn’t pursue him that hard .
and there could be multiple for reasons for this, probably which we will never be able to pinpoint

maybe they did not think he was a great football player..
maybe they felt he was not a good fit culturally...
so hard to pinpoint any exact reason without it being pure speculation

I wonder if Alabama is even a full fledged commitable offer. He may just be a fallback recruit there.

Thought exercise:

List who you think the top 10 best players at Iowa under Kirk Ferentz are. Put an asterisk next to the guys who would tweet about wanting the staff to "show them love" like Bollers did.

1.) Bob Sanders
2.) Robert Gallery
3.) Brad Banks
4.) DJK*
5.) Desmond King
6.) Chad Greenway
7.) Shonn Greene
8.) Dallas Clark
9.) AJ Epenesa
10.) Ladell Betts

His Dad went to Iowa, he lives 10 minutes away. We have nationally recognized Defenses and send a ton of guys to the NFL and can’t get in Top 6. Ouch

Hasn’t it been stated that Iowa had stopped pursuing him hard (for whatever reason). He made a comment that Iowa coaches hadn’t been in a lot of contact.

Iowa pitched all that. He wasn't all that interested. The perception of what really happened likely changes if you ask the player or the coaches. Best of luck to him wherever he goes. Seems as if he has zero interest in putting his hand on the ground and playing end. Nothing wrong with that, be honest in the process.

Agreed. ^^ He's a HS kid, let him make the choice that is best for him. Iowa has been recruiting just fine, especially on defense. He may turn out to be a world beater, he may have an average impact in college, who knows...but it his choice to make and I hope he picks a place that he will be happy with.

Meanwhile, Iowa has many good players coming in and I don't see a problem.

No Bollers, not great, but not end of world. Bowie looks good, still plenty of time for 21. We will survive. Graves in 22? OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!! Way ahead of the curve here!!!!

I think most reasonable hawkeye fans were not surprised by Bollers' top six and understand that both sides might have just moved on.

The problem is, the ISU and Nebby clowns have no idea about the circumstances and are going to come trumpeting "YoU dIdNt EvEn MaKe HiS tOp SiX!"

Here's my take: Iowa is a program that is built well enough where they can let a few 4 star kids out of their backyard and they'll be perfectly fine. There are two other programs out East who need recruits so so bad that they literally send out 400 offers to try and get whoever they can. Having the power to be selective about recruiting tells you alot about a program's stability and strength.

Edit: programs out WEST. Not enough coffee this morning.

Last edited:
So Stanford never offered? They were supposedly a player if they offered. I have heard that its Bama, but I just can't see how he would see time there. Oh well. To each his own.

I was really surprised Stanford never did as well. Bollers and his dad went out West to take unofficial visits last summer and that's how the Cal interest sprung from. I'd assume but not for sure if they visited Stanford. I know last time the Mods posted # of offers by D1 schools Stanford was one of if not the lowest with offers out there.

I think most reasonable hawkeye fans were not surprised by Bollers' top six and understand that both sides might have just moved on.

The problem is, the ISU and Nebby clowns have no idea about the circumstances and are going to come trumpeting "YoU dIdNt EvEn MaKe HiS tOp SiX!"

Here's my take: Iowa is a program that is built well enough where they can let a few 4 star kids out of their backyard and they'll be perfectly fine. There are two other programs out East who need recruits so so bad that they literally send out 400 offers to try and get whoever they can. Having the power to be selective about recruiting tells you alot about a program's stability and strength.

With Iowa dominating ISU getting in state guys last few years they'll take any victory they can by just making a guys final 6 with Iowa not making it.

Remember last year after they got Brock out of IL all the bragging they were doing. Funny thing that ended up happening was Goodson and Hall were the stud freshman RBs last year not him.

Reactions: MikeyHawk

Like it was already said in the thread he wanted to go somewhere that had a 3 man front. It didn't take a genious to figure out Iowa was no longer in the running a few months ago. It's nothing to talk shit about. Kirk didn't make him a priority because of it and Cambell did. It's not like Iowa and Iowa State were he final 2. That would be worth talking crap not Iowa being out of the top 6 when it was expected

I was really surprised Stanford never did as well. Bollers and his dad went out West to take unofficial visits last summer and that's how the Cal interest sprung from. I'd assume but not for sure if they visited Stanford. I know last time the Mods posted # of offers by D1 schools Stanford was one of if not the lowest with offers out there.

Neither Kirk nor David Shaw wanted Bollers.

Hmm.

Good luck to him. Always root for Iowa kids, hope he does well whenever he goes.
I do to typically, but not when they reject an Iowa offer like Carton, Foster, Alabama lineman, etc. I do not consider them in any way other than competition.

Reactions: RomanHawk
Just poking the hornet's nest although UW is favored :p

But seriously you guys should stop with the "we passed" and "Iowa didn't want him" takes (not you, but the guys that are).

Yeah I don't think it was so much that Iowa passed but I think both sides knew/realized that Iowa wasn't going to be an option and moved on. Iowa definitely would take him but weren't going to invest the time or resources in it after that became apparent.

As long as he doesn't got to Iowa St or Nebraska, mainly for his sake, good luck to him.

I do to typically, but not when they reject an Iowa offer like Carton, Foster, Alabama lineman, etc. I do not consider them in any way other than competition.

Meh. Kid doesn't wanna play at Iowa, that's his choice. And his success probably won't have any impact on our success. Good luck to him, gotta go where he thinks is best.

He does not really fit as a LB in a 4-3, doesn't have the foot speed. I think he would make a great DE, but we have some very good recruits coming in at DE and his lose will not be a big deal. Craig and Bowie already committed and possibly getting Booker out of Indiana and Lee doing very well at DE.

They are west of us

I can see the first conversation with Kirk.
Kirk "Great to have you here, TJ"
TJ "So coach, I feel that for me to shine, I really need to be in a 3-4 defense. Do you think you might be running some of that?"
Kirk "It's been nice meeting you"

ADVERTISEMENT