ADVERTISEMENT

Bono Oh No

Bono just signed a contract extension, doubt there is any concern about violations etc.

The criminal lawyer talking about morality, priceless. Bobby Douglas was on the verge of retiring anyway. Did he coach anywhere else? Did he return to ISU when Cael left? Tom Brands left Va Tech after only 2 years and so damaged the program the administration almost eliminated it.....but that was different! Tommy's got integrity, he attended Iowa so he had a free pass to do whatever he wanted.

Yeah. Tom Brands received no criticism for leaving Va. Tech. Good call.

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
The criminal lawyer talking about morality, priceless. Bobby Douglas was on the verge of retiring anyway. Did he coach anywhere else? Did he return to ISU when Cael left? Tom Brands left Va Tech after only 2 years and so damaged the program the administration almost eliminated it.....but that was different! Tommy's got integrity, he attended Iowa so he had a free pass to do whatever he wanted.

Is this real thinking by some folks, or a troll?

For the most obvious counter: “Tommy” went home, Cael left it. There’s far more, but how is that left out of your nonsense? Do you just ignore reports that TB made clear his thoughts when he took the VT job? Do you believe Cael did the same? Do you disbelieve the parents who said attendance was conditional and agreed to? Was that true at ISU?

You can have a differing opinion, but to just ignore things that have been well known for a decade is downright dishonest. And Tom - - Z =\= Cael - - Bobby.

Reactions: DirkTang1

For the most obvious counter: “Tommy” went home, Cael left it. There’s far more, but how is that left out of your nonsense? Do you just ignore reports that TB made clear his thoughts when he took the VT job? Do you believe Cael did the same? Do you disbelieve the parents who said attendance was conditional and agreed to? Was that true at ISU?

You can have a differing opinion, but to just ignore things that have been well known for a decade is downright dishonest. And Tom - - Z =\= Cael - - Bobby.

Flying D-bag is one of the scummiest Iowa haters around going way back to Metcalf days.

Reactions: 24 so far
Cael was a guest speaker at an event in Cleveland while he was still an assistant at ISU and he told a group of us that Bobby Douglas was not going anywhere because of the recruiting class he had with Varner, Gallick and little Sanderson but a year later Cael was head coach. I'm not positive that all those wrestlers were same class as that was maybe 12 years ago or so. I guess what I'm saying is I believe from that conversation that Douglas was definetly forced out.

Someone should have told Bobby Douglas that he was on the the verge of retiring soon anyway. My brother and I spoke with Bobby after he was pushed out. He had no intention of retiring and he was bitter about the way Cael and ISU handled this. He kept quiet publicly because ISU paid him to do very little. Cael did not want him involved in ISU wrestling.
The difference with Brands is that he had nothing to do with Zalesky leaving VT. Tom had a clause in his contract that he could leave VT only if to go to Iowa. Had Zalesky stayed at Iowa for a couple more years, Tom would have stayed at VT. Cael left ISU almost in the middle of the night while trashing ISU while he was leaving after forcing his mentor out of a job.

Someone should have told Bobby Douglas that he was on the the verge of retiring soon anyway. My brother and I spoke with Bobby after he was pushed out. He had no intention of retiring and he was bitter about the way Cael and ISU handled this. He kept quiet publicly because ISU paid him to do very little. Cael did not want him involved in ISU wrestling.
The difference with Brands is that he had nothing to do with Zalesky leaving VT. Tom had a clause in his contract that he could leave VT only if to go to Iowa. Had Zalesky stayed at Iowa for a couple more years, Tom would have stayed at VT. Cael left ISU almost in the middle of the night while trashing ISU while he was leaving after forcing his mentor out of a job.
I had a similar discussion with Bobby. He made it clear that he was not happy with the way Sandernuts had him pushed out. Bobby is a great guy and deserved better.

Did ‘trashing ISU’ include taking a prized recruit and a wrestler who needed help more than wrestling? Or was there more?

It was when I found out he saran-wrapped all the toilet seats the night before he left that I lost all respect for him. I'll be angry about that for at least another 10 years.

Reactions: Ski
It was when I found out he saran-wrapped all the toilet seats the night before he left that I lost all respect for him. I'll be angry about that for at least another 10 years.

Would have been funnier if he pooped in a Clone football player’s helmet on his way out the door.

Reactions: slushhead
Tigs, read the Douglas interviews, and then pull your head out.

Reactions: natchrlman
Yea, I'm the one that need to pull my head out, lol. I'm sure Bobby Douglas would of liked to go out on his own terms, but life can be tuff at the top of the food chain. It's amusing all this concern for Bobby Douglas when the majority of Iowa fans had nothing good to say about the guy or ISU when he was was the head coach.

Of course that duplicity is par for the course around here. Cael, who has never been in any trouble with the law, doesn't drink, devoted to his faith, a family man, has questionable morality for taking a better opportunity, something coaches do all the time. Just more evidence that some of you guys can't take a step back and realize how ridiculous you sound. It's classic defense mechanisms for the mentally weak that can't cope with reality. It can't be that he's just a better head coach, it's because he has low morals, he cheats in recruiting, his guys are taking steroids, blah, blah, blah.

I find it interesting that after you stated that Douglas was leaving anyway and cael did not push Bobby out was refuted, you totally change the subject and claim Iowa fans did not like Douglas. That actually was not true. Most Iowa fans respected and and liked Bobby Douglas except when they wrestled Iowa. I do know that my brother(huge Iowa fan) was a friend. Of course, not during Iowa vs ISU matches.
Tell me what Iowa fans claim that Cael is not a family man, that he drinks a lot, and that he is not devoted to his faith? No one has questioned his taking another job or a better job, only How he went about it. After forcing out his mentor out of a job, he shortly afterward left that job, leaving ISU high and dry, essentially ruining Iowa St wrestling.

Iowa state seems to be rebounding just fine now. I would say that everyone's goal in their professional career should be to make yourself invaluable to your employer, it should be a painful process for them when you choose to leave for whatever reason (generally better opportunity). The ISU AD had the job to put another great candidate into that slot. They failed. ISU was winning team trophies before cael left, it should have been no problem for a good coach with a big name to immediately start bringing top tier kids in and keep the momentum going. It never happened. That's.not on cael, that's on ISU. I say the same about brands with VA Tech's situation. I get the employer's may be bitter but they know they'd have no issue firing the guy if he wasnt performing to their expectations, that's just how the professional world works.

Tl;dr version I think cael and brands are both stand up guys who did what was best for them and both have done a terrific job of producing team trophies, national championships and have developed many young guys into great men.

Reactions: lookleft goright
I find it interesting that after you stated that Douglas was leaving anyway and cael did not push Bobby out was refuted, you totally change the subject and claim Iowa fans did not like Douglas. That actually was not true. Most Iowa fans respected and and liked Bobby Douglas except when they wrestled Iowa. I do know that my brother(huge Iowa fan) was a friend. Of course, not during Iowa vs ISU matches.
Tell me what Iowa fans claim that Cael is not a family man, that he drinks a lot, and that he is not devoted to his faith? No one has questioned his taking another job or a better job, only How he went about it. After forcing out his mentor out of a job, he shortly afterward left that job, leaving ISU high and dry, essentially ruining Iowa St wrestling.
Yep. Losing Gable was a tough blow for them, but they still had a very accomplished Harold Nichols for another 10 years. Sanderson screwed them royally, ain't no doubt about it.

And yes, Iowa State didn't do themselves any favors either after he left, but their Golden Boy put them in that position.

Last edited:
Yep. Losing Gable was a tough blow for them, but they still had a very accomplished Harold Nichols for another 10 years. Sanderson screwed them royally, ain't no doubt about it.

And yes, Iowa State didn't do themselves any favors either after he left, but their Golden Boy put them in that position.

And took some pieces that would have helped soften the blow. ISU released them to Carl, When Carl had the same opportunity did he do that for the athlete?

What nonsense, the hiring of Kevin Jackson essentially ruined ISU. The went from competing for a team trophy the year after Cael left to scoring 1 point at nationals. In just 2 years Dresser already has them back to respectability. Trying to pin that dark era on Cael just shows how weak your argument is.

Douglas was on his way out, he never coached again, he didn't apply to another school or at ISU when Cael left, he was in fact retired. This is indisputable. If you want to say Cael was part of a process that accelerated his retirement, that's fine, that's part of big time college athletics. What's lost in many of your narratives is whether ISU lived up to it's part of the bargain to keep Sanderson at ISU. What if they didn't follow though on things they agreed to do or were dragging their feet? Was it ok for him to leave then, or was he an indentured servant to ISU for the rest of his career?

As far as being a moral person, all I can say is that family, religion, no alcohol, no legal entanglements are all considered important, positive moral virtues for everyone outside the Iowa fanbase who prefer to judge morality based on a person's ability to beat them or not.

What nonsense, the hiring of Kevin Jackson essentially ruined ISU. The went from competing for a team trophy the year after Cael left to scoring 1 point at nationals. In just 2 years Dresser already has them back to respectability. Trying to pin that dark era on Cael just shows how weak your argument is.

Douglas was on his way out, he never coached again, he didn't apply to another school or at ISU when Cael left, he was in fact retired. This is indisputable. If you want to say Cael was part of a process that accelerated his retirement, that's fine, that's part of big time college athletics. What's lost in many of your narratives is whether ISU lived up to it's part of the bargain to keep Sanderson at ISU. What if they didn't follow though on things they agreed to do or were dragging their feet? Was it ok for him to leave then, or was he an indentured servant to ISU for the rest of his career?

As far as being a moral person, all I can say is that family, religion, no alcohol, no legal entanglements are all considered important, positive moral virtues for everyone outside the Iowa fanbase who prefer to judge morality based on a person's ability to beat them or not.

The Sandersons were family at Iowa State. Cael forced father-figure Bobby Douglas out. Cael realized it might be hard to win national championships at ISU. Cael quickly fled for greener pastures. I'd say Cael was looking out for #1. Nothing illegal or wrong about that. But I don't think it's going to be a Hallmark movie either - particularly the Andrew Long incident.

OMG Flying Feces is back!!!
Hiding behind a username jeez...ya know ya might feel better just using your name. You know embrace it!!
Plus, You dont know jack about Bobby Douglas. Honestly not 1 thing you said is or was True.
Get over yourself
Dont you have some locker rooms to clean up

Reactions: pablow

There is no doubt Cael is a great coach, however, I question the "morality" of recruiting and signing a guy whose family asked for $300k from another program (and was denied). That is not speculation/rumor. It is a fact that I know first hand.

Reactions: MVPFAN
There is no doubt Cael is a great coach, however, I question the "morality" of recruiting and signing a guy whose family asked for $300k from another program (and was denied). That is not speculation/rumor. It is a fact that I know first hand.
Were you present when that family asked for 300K from another team and then you were also present when Cael signed him?

Last edited:
Any more details?

Vodka,

Do you really not remember any of this? You should check out the "Teasdale" thread/dumpster fire from last year for a refresher. May want to put some boots on first though, because the BS in that thread is deep.

In a nutshell, ABT is accusing Brooks Sr. of attempting to get money/high paying job in exchange for Aaron....

Kind of like Gable.

Long story short the HR version is that they were going to fire him but changed their mind and gave him an extension instead.
JB I was just being a smart ass with the question because just like every other thread around here it turns into PSU trolls vs a few HR posters arguing about shit that had nothing to do with the original post. Let me see if I can fix that. Gimme a sec.................

That's what I thought. What was that guy saying when he said 'kind of like Gable'?

Don't know...maybe because Gable left ISU as well. At the time though, Nichols was one of the most respected coaches in wrestling. Now, Okie State offered Gable his own oil wells to go down there and he turned them down to stay at Iowa.

Bobby Douglas was booed upon introduction at Carver in 2004. Iowa fans did not like him and a lot of Iiowa State fans didn’t either. He was not that popular in Iowa , period. I thought he was a good coach, but he was never embraced by the state of Iowa and never had teams perform up to the expectations of when he was hired after winnning a title at ASU.

Let’s not revise history here and make it out like Douglas was some hero that Iowa loved. He had some good finishes in the 90s and early 2000s, but was inconsistent. Consistency did not come until Cael took over and was rapidly destroyed when he left. Cael left Jackson with a team that could have won NCAAs and ended up with third. Iowa State fans were “all in” at the time and convinced Jackson was the better coach. They were upset with Cael that he couldn’t beat Iowa. The ISU fans at that time learned the hard way they were wrong. I’ll bet anything a lot of them are now Iowa fans, just like fans that switched from ISU to Iowa to follow Gable.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
Bobby Douglas was booed upon introduction at Carver in 2004. Iowa fans did not like him and a lot of Iiowa State fans didn’t either. He was not that popular in Iowa , period. I thought he was a good coach, but he was never embraced by the state of Iowa and never had teams perform up to the expectations of when he was hired after winnning a title at ASU.

Let’s not revise history here and make it out like Douglas was some hero that Iowa loved. He had some good finishes in the 90s and early 2000s, but was inconsistent. Consistency did not come until Cael took over and was rapidly destroyed when he left. Cael left Jackson with a team that could have won NCAAs and ended up with third. Iowa State fans were “all in” at the time and convinced Jackson was the better coach. They were upset with Cael that he couldn’t beat Iowa. The ISU fans at that time learned the hard way they were wrong. I’ll bet anything a lot of them are now Iowa fans, just like fans that switched from ISU to Iowa to follow Gable.
Lol!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT