ADVERTISEMENT

Book recommendations

RagnarLothbrok

HB Heisman
Apr 4, 2023
I’m on summer break and would like to get some new book recommendations.

Right now, I’m looking for historical fiction and nonfiction. I’m interested in all historical eras.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Maybe not what you are looking for but "Good friends, good guns, good whiskey" by sketer Skelton is one of if not my favorite book of all time. Great view into depression area dust bowl Texas.

He also has a book called "hog legs and jalapeños" that I've wanted to read foe years but it's a couple hundred bucks a copy.

if you have not read "The swiss family Robinson" in awhile, do so, such a great book.

Or

Playboy.com

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
11/23/63 by Stephen King

You as obsessed with ww2 as me? Not a book but do some digging on your family and see who fought in it and try to dig on where they went during the war. Always fascinating. I had 3 great grandfathers fight in it. Also discovered a distant relative worked security for Goering.

11/23/63 by Stephen King

You as obsessed with ww2 as me? Not a book but do some digging on your family and see who fought in it and try to dig on where they went during the war. Always fascinating. I had 3 great grandfathers fight in it. Also discovered a distant relative worked security for Goering.
What were your sources, I'd be interested in that.

What were your sources, I'd be interested in that.
I have most info on one great grandfather who met my great grandmother before and communicated well through mail. My great grandmother's ancestry is basically 100% German. Her maiden name is loosely connected to Nazi/Hitler inner circles

My great aunt is basically the family historian. I passed along some info i found about the maiden name popping up and she did research and discovered the Goering connection.

i recall thinking that The Unlikely Spy by daniel silva was meticulously researched. fictional characters set in midst of real historical ww2 characters and settings. a spy thriller done unusually well.

Im currently reading this and enjoying it.

41BirvV2dqL.jpg

Right now, I’m looking for historical fiction and nonfiction. I’m interested in all historical eras.

Thanks in advance.

Going through my lists of books listened to that fall under historical fiction/non fiction this is what I got as far as recommendations:

1) Devil in the White City - Erik Larson
2) Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand (*maybe my favorite book....his story is unbelievable)
3) Band of Brothers - Stephen Ambrose
4) Helmet for My Pillow - Robert Leckie
5) With the Old Breed - Eugene Sledge
6) Masters of the Air - Donald Miller
7) The Dog Stars (Peter Heller) ***not historical fiction or non-fiction but I liked it.
8) Killers of the Flower Moon (David Grann)
9) The Wager (Davin Grann)
10) Shogun - James Clavell
11) A Higher Call - Adam Makos (pretty incredible true story from WWII)

**** @Whiskeydeltadeltatango you ever read any Peter Heller books? I feel they would be right up your alley. If not, start with The Dog Stars, then maybe The Painter......but they are all pretty good.

Going through my lists of books listened to that fall under historical fiction/non fiction this is what I got as far as recommendations:

2) Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand (*maybe my favorite book....his story is unbelievable)
7) The Dog Stars (Peter Heller) ***not historical fiction or non-fiction but I liked it.

**** @Whiskeydeltadeltatango you ever read any Peter Heller books? I feel they would be right up your alley. If not, start with The Dog Stars, then maybe The Painter......but they are all pretty good.
I've read both of the David Grann books on your list and would recommend them highly as well as Unbroken.

Reactions: JustSayOV
WWII and the Cold War in Europe and Eastern Europe; Everything mentioned below is like watching history from the Inside Out ... mostly from the perspective of believers in Stalin and the Communist regime.

Anything by Alan Furst/Highly stylized and noirish spy novels covering the era from 1920's to post war. Several have been combined into a miniseries.

Yalta Boulevard Quintet by Olen Steinhauer/ A five book series about a group of Stasi-like operatives in an unnamed Eastern European country .... over 4-5 decades:

Last edited:

I really liked Killers of the Flower Moon, but then I read The Wager and was blown away. I thought it was a more captivating and interesting story than KOTFM, but both are excellent.

Code Talker
It's about ww2 Navajo Code Talkers.

Still such a great yet simple strategy to use in that time

Reactions: goldmom
I really liked Killers of the Flower Moon, but then I read The Wager and was blown away. I thought it was a more captivating and interesting story than KOTFM, but both are excellent.

Agree 100%.....KOTFM was fine and all, but read more like a history book whereas the Wager to me felt more like a novel in a way.....seemed to allow you to become involved in the story vs. just being presented facts about the story like KOTFM

Thanks in advance.

If you're into armored warfare and tactics, this is a great read. It's pretty sobering though, as Otto Carius was personally responsible for the destruction of numerous Allied tanks and the death of their crews. He doesn't hold anything back explaining his experiences in WW2.

51v3aT9zK6L.jpg

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok

I have not but I'll check him out, appreciate the recommendation.

Heller is great. Guy can really paint a mood. He likes fly fishing and chinese poetry. Writes about both beautifly. Just fished The Orchard.

11/23/63 by Stephen King

My Dad was with the Second Armored Division in WWII and he gave us kids first hand knowledge of WWII. Brought home souvenirs that we took to school for show and tell in the late 50’s and early 60’s like other kids in our class did. No way it would be allowed today.
And - until he died - he called Germans “Krauts” which is now a pejorative term. He was nearly killed in the Battle of the Bulge and saw some horrific things and had PTSD until he passed at the age of 88. I think he figured he “earned” the right to call them whatever he wanted.
That’s just how it was back then.

"The Grift: The Downward Spiral of Black Republicans from the Party of Lincoln to the Cult of Trump".

Good historical book about black republicans during the Civil War, Reconstruction, Jim Crow, Barry Goldwater/Richard Nixon years, to current events.

Thanks in advance.
W. Churchill, History of the English Speaking Peoples
W. Churchill, The Second World War
S. Turkell, The Good War
T. Styles, The First Tycoon: The Epic Life of Cornelius Vanderbilt
J. Sedgewick, From the River to the Sea: The Untold Story of the Railroad War that Made the West
G. Milton, Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
K. Brown, Retreat from Gettysburg: Lee, Logistics, and the Pennsylvania Campaign
K. Brown, Meade at Gettysburg: A Study in Command
A. Beevor, Stalingrad: The Fateful Seige 1942-43
D. Byrne, Bicycle Diaries (memoir)
S. Martin, Born Standing Up (memoir)
J. Spence, Treason by the Book

Last edited:
"The Grift: The Downward Spiral of Black Republicans from the Party of Lincoln to the Cult of Trump".

Good historical book about black republicans during the Civil War, Reconstruction, Jim Crow, Barry Goldwater/Richard Nixon years, to current events.

Yes, because they have been doing splendidly on the DNC plantation.

Thanks in advance.
This book is 20+ years old now but if you want to try and understand a part of the world that defies understanding, I highly recommend it. Page turning history.

81UEJkR3zlL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Kotkin's first two volumes of his planned three volume Stalin biography are also fantastic.

61CWnmDLDqL._SL1200_.jpg

9176+o2JGXL._SL1500_.jpg

The stuff about the purge in this volume is too insane to believe. He was a frothing murdering madman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT