ADVERTISEMENT

Books for kids sports anxiety

kegan

HB MVP
Jun 23, 2003
Hello All - Do any of you have recommendations on books to help young athletes navigate performance anxiety? My son (10) does well at combat sports (jiu jitsu & wrestling) but always dreads the competitions. He's also a big reader so I'd like to have him dive into a story/stories that provides experience and tools to help prepare mentally and accept outcomes. Thx in advance!

When it comes to mental health related issues for young athletes, I usually find that talk therapy with a licensed therapist works much better than a book. But I know each athlete/kid is different.

Sorry to hear that. My high schooler, who excels in sports at the HS level and is a very good athlete, also deals with a ton of anxiety that leads to throwing up, constant worrying, and high levels of stress. It is really hard to watch your child go through that. Seeing a Sports Psychologist has really helped him over the years not only with his anxiety, but his confidence, his ability to deal with setbacks, and has improved his overall performance.

Does he like practice?

If so, don't even worry about competing at this age. It will do more harm than good.

Focus on TECHNIQUE.

The US could learn a lot from how Russian wrestlers train but we need instant gratification and want Little Johnny competing for titles at age 7.

Once again, keep it FUN and TECHNIQUE, TECHNIQUE, TECHNIQUE.

I'm not sure about the performance anxiety portion, but Mind Gym is a good read about sports psych, and developing a strong mentality in general.

I also agree with HawkMachine. Don't even need to enter competition if it's that big a deal.

Does he like practice?

If so, don't even worry about competing at this age. It will do more harm than good.

Focus on TECHNIQUE.

The US could learn a lot from how Russian wrestlers train but we need instant gratification and want Little Johnny competing for titles at age 7.

Once again, keep it FUN and TECHNIQUE, TECHNIQUE, TECHNIQUE.
I'm not sure about the performance anxiety portion, but Mind Gym is a good read about sports psych, and developing a strong mentality in general.

I also agree with HawkMachine. Don't even need to enter competition if it's that big a deal.
The problem is that performance anxiety can carry over to other areas of life, also. It’s not about just winning or doing well in competition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT