ADVERTISEMENT

Boston wins Naismith🤔

Before any dipwad states it’s because of Iowas tournament performance just remember Oshibwe won it for the men

Winners win ALL of the awards. This is why Keegan won't win either. It's a shame as I believe they are the 2 best players in their respective games. At least Keegan gets a multimillion dollar contract as a consolation prize 😊
I guess Luka was the exception. We won more games this year, AND the BIG tourney. Unfortunately our NCAA tourney left a lot to be desired.

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild
Winners win ALL of the awards. This is why Keegan won't win either. It's a shame as I believe they are the 2 best players in their respective games. At least Keegan gets a multimillion dollar contract as a consolation prize 😊
It wasn't like iowa was chopped liver, both teams had very good seasons. They both are just getting robbed

Last edited:
It is a Joke, Boston might be a good player but Clark was by far and beyond the best player in women's basketball this year and it wasn't even close!
Unfortunately Boston is still playing. If Clark was still playing she wins going away as she should have. I fear the same with Keegan. The award will likely go to Agbaji of Kansas.

The Wooten award is announced in April after the Final Four! My hope is that Caitlin will win it, but she will win her share of awards. Now she is focused on winning at Iowa.

Last edited:
just like Garza--CC did things that only a handful of players had ever done and that was including men and NBA players--just unbelievable she would not win.

It wasn't like iowa was chopper liver, both teams had very good seasons. They both are just getting robbed
A couple of things.

The women's game, while getting more publicity, which is great that the sport is getting more exposure, is still a bit of a gated community in terms of who is allowed to be thought of as great or which programs are worthy of consideration for these awards. Nearly all of the talking heads on the studio shows for ESPN are former players at UConn, Stanford, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Baylor, etc. If a player is not on one of the accepted best teams in the country, they just aren't considered as possibly being as good as the best player on one of the teams in the gated community. Right or wrong, that's the way it is. Iowa is definitely lurking around trying to find its way into that area. Won the Big 10 this year, won the BTT, got to Sweet 16 last year.
Clark is/was terrific this year and would have been deserving had she won. With that said, she shot 33% from 3-point range and turned the ball over nearly 5 times a game. She had the ball in her hands all the time, so she's going to turn it over. But she wasn't terribly efficient as a player this year.

Beyond all the stats and the comparisons between Boston and Clark, the biggest thing in Clark's favor is I'm not sure that Iowa is in the NCAA tournament if she's not on the team. There are other good players on the team with specific good skills (Czinano's post scoring being foremost), but her ability to paper over some weaknesses on the roster is probably her strongest point in her favor. They literally cannot beat good teams unless she plays really well. For about 6-8 weeks, Clark was really good and Iowa won a bunch of games. She had 1 sub-par game against Creighton, and they got bounced. Boston does not have that pressure.

A couple of things.

The women's game, while getting more publicity, which is great that the sport is getting more exposure, is still a bit of a gated community in terms of who is allowed to be thought of as great or which programs are worthy of consideration for these awards. Nearly all of the talking heads on the studio shows for ESPN are former players at UConn, Stanford, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Baylor, etc. If a player is not on one of the accepted best teams in the country, they just aren't considered as possibly being as good as the best player on one of the teams in the gated community. Right or wrong, that's the way it is. Iowa is definitely lurking around trying to find its way into that area. Won the Big 10 this year, won the BTT, got to Sweet 16 last year.
Clark is/was terrific this year and would have been deserving had she won. With that said, she shot 33% from 3-point range and turned the ball over nearly 5 times a game. She had the ball in her hands all the time, so she's going to turn it over. But she wasn't terribly efficient as a player this year.

Beyond all the stats and the comparisons between Boston and Clark, the biggest thing in Clark's favor is I'm not sure that Iowa is in the NCAA tournament if she's not on the team. There are other good players on the team with specific good skills (Czinano's post scoring being foremost), but her ability to paper over some weaknesses on the roster is probably her strongest point in her favor. They literally cannot beat good teams unless she plays really well. For about 6-8 weeks, Clark was really good and Iowa won a bunch of games. She had 1 sub-par game against Creighton, and they got bounced. Boston does not have that pressure.
Very good points

Clark might get screwed her whole career. As long as Bueckers is healthy, you know they’ll find a way to give it to her over Clark. Clark could end up the number 1 scorer in women’s cbb history being a 4/5 time all American depending if she uses Covid year, and never gets NPOY.

IMO she is just like Cockburn of Illinois and is bigger than most players and bullies her way to score. She is not the best BBall player IMO and not even close to Clark.
So did Shaq for a lot of successful years in the NBA. Being bigger and stronger should not disqualify her from the award. I think I get your point, that Clark is much more skilled, but there are a variety of ways to be a great player at all levels.

Personally I could have seen either player being deserving (but would have rather seen it go to Clark).

So did Shaq for a lot of successful years in the NBA. Being bigger and stronger should not disqualify her from the award. I think I get your point, that Clark is much more skilled, but there are a variety of ways to be a great player at all levels.

Personally I could have seen either player being deserving (but would have rather seen it go to Clark).
I guess i don't get this ....just looking at their stats....Clark blows her out of the water....sure Boston as 26 double double streak going, but to keep that going she was in a game up 40 and missed shots WIDE open on purpose to get more rebounds which makes that stat utterly WORTHLESS

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
I guess i don't get this ....just looking at their stats....Clark blows her out of the water....sure Boston as 26 double double streak going, but to keep that going she was in a game up 40 and missed shots WIDE open on purpose to get more rebounds which makes that stat utterly WORTHLESS

Boston was also voted the defensive player of the year. Pretty valuable player on both ends.

I get the offensive stats for Clark, and how much she meant to Iowa.

I can also see why Boston won the award.

Unfortunately, the best player didn't win this award. One has to wonder how a player (Boston) who ranked 89th in the country in scoring overshadows a player, who not only leads the nation in scoring, but also in assists - a feat never before accomplished in the college women's game.

Maybe she overshadowed her by taking 200 less shots? Or by being one of the best defenders in the nation? Or by not being in the top 5 in the nation in turnovers?

I suppose in your mind Pete Maravich is the best college player of all time because he scored alot of points?

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk and WSC72
Maybe she overshadowed her by taking 200 less shots? Or by being one of the best defenders in the nation? Or by not being in the top 5 in the nation in turnovers?

I suppose in your mind Pete Maravich is the best college player of all time because he scored alot of points?
The thing is its not JUST the stats. Whats the one thing that womens NCAA sports wants more then anything? Bueller? The answer is EXPOSURE! What Clark has done especially this season is brought this priceless commodity to womens college sports. The last month of the season she made those games MUST see TV. Hell , without her heroics several of Iowa's games probably wouldn't have even have been televised. Not only did Iowa sell out their last three homes games to SRO levels, but people turned in to watch. Young girls, old people, NBA and WNBA players, and literally people who NEVER watch womens sports. I have four grandaughters, and have tried to be more enthused about womens sports, but this is the first year I made a real effort to catch the ladies when they were on every night. My wife was a pretty good player back in the 3 on 3 days in Iowa high school, and she was amazed at the different level they play at today. Clarks play this year raised the interest in womens basketball without question.

The thing is its not JUST the stats. Whats the one thing that womens NCAA sports wants more then anything? Bueller? The answer is EXPOSURE! What Clark has done especially this season is brought this priceless commodity to womens college sports. The last month of the season she made those games MUST see TV. Hell , without her heroics several of Iowa's games probably wouldn't have even have been televised. Not only did Iowa sell out their last three homes games to SRO levels, but people turned in to watch. Young girls, old people, NBA and WNBA players, and literally people who NEVER watch womens sports. I have four grandaughters, and have tried to be more enthused about womens sports, but this is the first year I made a real effort to catch the ladies when they were on every night. My wife was a pretty good player back in the 3 on 3 days in Iowa high school, and she was amazed at the different level they play at today. Clarks play this year raised the interest in womens basketball without question.
South Carolina routinely sells out their home games (leads the nation in average attendance) -- they played a much tougher schedule (Including the other three #1 seeds) -- Boston plays both ends of the court. Clark is great scorer and deserves what she gets. Boston earned the award.

Reactions: WSC72
South Carolina routinely sells out their home games (leads the nation in average attendance) -- they played a much tougher schedule (Including the other three #1 seeds) -- Boston plays both ends of the court. Clark is great scorer and deserves what she gets. Boston earned the award.
Never said that Boston wasn't deserving, but if Clark didn't play at another level entirely the last month does Iowa beat top 5 ranked Indiana THREE times in two weeks and top 10 Michigan? I think not.....Is anybody talking about Boston as the reason to change the eligibility rules for women to enter the WNBA draft when they want? No, if anything it would probably be called the Clark rule. The fact is if Boston didn't play for #1 S Carolina, she wouldn't have won the award over Clark in the same way that Paige Bueckers beat her out last season because she plays for UConn....

Come on! Boston's been over-hyped ever since the season started. She has no offensive game except for faceup point-blank shots under the basket with her right hand and rebound put-backs. Clark not only scores a lot of points but she also makes a lot of assists - specifically leading the nation. Again, being the 89th best scorer in the country hardly merits a player of the year award.

Never said that Boston wasn't deserving, but if Clark didn't play at another level entirely the last month does Iowa beat top 5 ranked Indiana THREE times in two weeks and top 10 Michigan? I think not.....Is anybody talking about Boston as the reason to change the eligibility rules for women to enter the WNBA draft when they want? No, if anything it would probably be called the Clark rule. The fact is if Boston didn't play for #1 S Carolina, she wouldn't have won the award over Clark in the same way that Paige Bueckers beat her out last season because she plays for UConn....
Maybe this will provide Bluder with some incentive to go out and schedule UConn, Stanford, NC State, etc. in the non conference so Clark can have a bigger stage,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT