ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Chat Anyone?

That will be Wisconsin. Iowa will probably be the next-to-last team picked so maybe the Pinstripe.
Excellent! My pinstripe fantasy scenario has a chance to be realized. Dial up the opponent with bad O/good D and the snowstorm and we're in business!

Allegedly our 2017 trip there protected us from going back for 8 years. But no one now remembers that.

Well the only teams that will be left when they pick will be Iowa and Wisconsin and Wisconsin has played there since Iowa has.

Even if I wanted to go to the bowl game this year I won't be able to fit it in my schedule. But I really don't have much desire to watch a bunch of second stringers play because 2/3 of the starters have opted out of the game. Except Campbell. The dude just loves Iowa football and wants to play in every game he has a chance to play in.

Alright, here's my uneducated attempt at the B10 bowl breakdown:

CFP- 1 Georgia vs 4 USC / 2 Michigan vs 3 TCU

(Teams with a "/" are in order from MOST likely opponent to least):

Rose- Ohio State vs Utah//Washington

Citrus- Penn State vs Tennessee/LSU/Alabama

ReliaQuest (Outback)- Purdue vs Mississippi

Duke's Mayo- Illinois vs Duke/NC State/Syracuse

Music City- Iowa vs Florida/Arkansas/Missouri

Pinstripes- Minnesota vs Louisville/Syracuse/Wake Forest

Guaranteed Rate Bowl- Wisconsin vs Baylor/Oklahoma/Kansas

Quick Lane Bowl- Maryland vs Eastern Michigan/Miami, OH/Bowling Green

I like that. Even though Florida has been a common foe in the last 20 years, they’d be my last choice of the three. Iowa has only faced Arkansas once in 1925 and have only faced Missouri once (2010) since 1910. A little odd for a border state. Ole Miss would be an interesting opponent.

Sagarin Ratings:
Florida 26
Iowa 27
Arkansas 30
Mizzou 51

Last edited:
I like that. Even though Florida has been a common foe is the last 20 years, they’d be my last choice of the three. Iowa has only faced Arkansas once in 1925 and have only faced Missouri once (2010) since 1910. A little odd for a border state. Ole Miss would be an interesting opponent.

Sagarin Ratings:
Florida 26
Iowa 27
Arkansas 30
Mizzou 51
Iowa vs MO-Ark would be a great get for Music City.

Mississippi won't fall that far in their pecking order.

We'd be more likely to bump into Mississippi State.
Mike Leach's dink and dunk passing offense against our soft zone cover scheme.

You guys remember all those times Indiana/ northwestern/ purdue gave us absolute fits with lesser athletes.....yuck.

My blood pressure, nor phil's reputation want anything to do with that match up.

Most are forgetting penn state is probably headed to a ny6 also.

Tom's @hawkeyereport article says that picking order after Tampa is Music City, Pinstripe, Duke's Mayo, Guaranteed Rate. I can't find that published anywhere. Big Ten announcement when they signed the new contracts simply says, "The Big Ten’s 2020-25 bowl lineup will also feature the same selection process that has been used since 2014 to ensure outstanding bowl matchups and fresh postseason destinations. Each bowl partner will work with the Big Ten to create the best possible matchup based upon an agreed set of parameters, with final approval by the conference office for all team selections."

This website claims to list each bowl's payout: https://businessofcollegesports.com/college-football-playoff-payouts/

Citrus $8.2MM
Reliaquest $6.4MM
Music City $5.7MM
Duke's Mayo $4.8MM
Pinstripe $4.4MM
Guaranteed Rate $1.6MM

If that's accurate, you'd think Duke's Mayo would get priority over Pinstripe, in which case the following would make sense to me if favorites win next week:

CFP: Michigan
Rose: OSU
Cotton: PSU
Citrus: Purdue
Reliaquest: Illinois
Music City: Iowa or Minnesota
Duke's Mayo: Iowa or Minnesota
Pinstripe: Wisconsin (Maryland went there last year)
Guaranteed Rate: Maryland

If Purdue upsets Michigan, then they go to Rose and PSU falls to Citrus. Michigan still in CFP, and OSU to Orange. Because B1G got Orange we give up Reliaquest bid to ACC (what a weird contract: https://theacc.com/sports/2022/1/31/FB_0131224420.aspx) and Illinois drops to Music City, Duke's picks between Iowa and Minnesota and the other goes to Pinstripe, Maryland & Wisconsin get Guaranteed Rate and Quicklane.

Now if OSU gets into CFP and Purdue is in Rose, then Cotton slot should be available for PSU and Illini go to Tampa, and so on down the line.

If OSU gets CFP and Michigan beats Purdue, then PSU gets Rose, Purdue Orlando and so on down the line.

The Orange/Reliaquest deal doesn't seem fair. Orange pits ACC vs highest ranked non-CFP/Rose/Sugar team from BigTen, SEC, and ND. If its Big 10 to Orange, we give ACC our bid to Tampa to play SEC. But if its SEC to Orange we still play the SEC in Tampa (not an ACC team)

Tom's @hawkeyereport article says that picking order after Tampa is Music City, Pinstripe, Duke's Mayo, Guaranteed Rate. I can't find that published anywhere. Big Ten announcement when they signed the new contracts simply says, "The Big Ten’s 2020-25 bowl lineup will also feature the same selection process that has been used since 2014 to ensure outstanding bowl matchups and fresh postseason destinations. Each bowl partner will work with the Big Ten to create the best possible matchup based upon an agreed set of parameters, with final approval by the conference office for all team selections."

This website claims to list each bowl's payout: https://businessofcollegesports.com/college-football-playoff-payouts/

Citrus $8.2MM
Reliaquest $6.4MM
Music City $5.7MM
Duke's Mayo $4.8MM
Pinstripe $4.4MM
Guaranteed Rate $1.6MM

If that's accurate, you'd think Duke's Mayo would get priority over Pinstripe, in which case the following would make sense to me if favorites win next week:

CFP: Michigan
Rose: OSU
Cotton: PSU
Citrus: Purdue
Reliaquest: Illinois
Music City: Iowa or Minnesota
Duke's Mayo: Iowa or Minnesota
Pinstripe: Wisconsin (Maryland went there last year)
Guaranteed Rate: Maryland

If Purdue upsets Michigan, then they go to Rose and PSU falls to Citrus. Michigan still in CFP, and OSU to Orange. Because B1G got Orange we give up Reliaquest bid to ACC (what a weird contract: https://theacc.com/sports/2022/1/31/FB_0131224420.aspx) and Illinois drops to Music City, Duke's picks between Iowa and Minnesota and the other goes to Pinstripe, Maryland & Wisconsin get Guaranteed Rate and Quicklane.

Now if OSU gets into CFP and Purdue is in Rose, then Cotton slot should be available for PSU and Illini go to Tampa, and so on down the line.

If OSU gets CFP and Michigan beats Purdue, then PSU gets Rose, Purdue Orlando and so on down the line.

The Orange/Reliaquest deal doesn't seem fair. Orange pits ACC vs highest ranked non-CFP/Rose/Sugar team from BigTen, SEC, and ND. If its Big 10 to Orange, we give ACC our bid to Tampa to play SEC. But if its SEC to Orange we still play the SEC in Tampa (not an ACC team)

Why do you think Iowa and Wisconsin will get picked before Maryland?

Why do you think Iowa and Wisconsin will get picked before Maryland?
I think Iowa will because our records are equal, and well, we're Iowa and they're Maryland and we're a bigger football brand - might be different if this were basketball. Wisconsin wouldn't really be getting picked ahead of Maryland - Maryland went to Pinstripe last year, so it seems reasonable they'd rather go to Arizona this year than back to NY.

Dochterman has us in Music City against Ole Miss. Lane Kiffin baby. Him and Kirk will share Saban stories.

and all of that changes if Utah beats USC in the PAC 12 title game or TCU loses to KSU in their title game. If either loses, OSU goes to the playoffs and then who knows?

and all of that changes if Utah beats USC in the PAC 12 title game or TCU loses to KSU in their title game. If either loses, OSU goes to the playoffs and then who knows?
Thats why they should try not to lose then....... :)

But in all honesty, I know that. My projections were more or less and snap shot after this weekend's results, and obviously are subject to change.

Bowl game chat?

I almost don't even care.

I'm more worried about next year and the year after.

Two big rivals got new coaches which brings buzz.

We need to make some changes.

Bowl game chat?

I almost don't even care.

I'm more worried about next year and the year after.

Two big rivals got new coaches which brings buzz.

We need to make some changes.
Nebraskans buzzing on their corn liquor.

Nebraska buzzed when Bo Pelini came.

Nebraska buzzed when Mike Reilly came.

Nebraska buzzed when Scott Frost came.

Nebraska buzzed with Matt Rhule coming in.

Not sure OSU in CFP really affects the B1G line-up as long as PSU is above LSU in rankings. If OSU makes CFP, PSU (or PU) goes to Rose. If OSU is in Rose, then PSU is likely for Cotton. I don't think there's a possibility of Mich & OSU in CFP, PU in Rose, and PSU in Cotton - but maybe

ADVERTISEMENT