ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Game and looking ahead to next year

kchawkeye3

All-Conference
Dec 5, 2001
Took the fam to first bowl game in a while; wife and 17, 18 year old. Last one was the Outback where we got hosed on the onside kick. Some thoughts:
- Had a blast; more Hawk fans than I expected. I would guess 15-20k. Hawk fans all over International Drive. Had fun at the Hawkeye events; Liberty Hawk threw a great tailgate yesterday.
- UK fans were pretty cool; good to talk to. UK team seemed like they have a lot of s*it talkers. WanDale was the best skill player on the field. When UK needed a big play; everyone knew it was going to #1. Hawk fans got a huge break with the side of field we were on. UK fans baked in the sun; most Hawk fans in the shade at some point during the game.
- End of game was a bummer but at least we made it a game and gave the fans something to cheer about. Would have been a drag to get drilled two games in a row to end the season.

Excited about next year:
- Loved our young RB's.
- OLine played much better; DLine was tremendous.
- Hopefully can get some early help from Freshman with secondary if Koerner and Moss don't come back.
- LaPorta had a great game; hopefully he comes back next year.
- All boils down to QB play next year. Either Petras or Padilla improve pretty significantly or we need to find another option. I would have to think Kirk and Brian know this. Tons of negativity towards Petras yesterday and on the boards and I'm guilty too; but I try to take into account these are college kids we are talking about.
- Tough schedule next year; especially first 4 games of BT. (@Minny,Michigan,@Purdue,@OSU) I do think we can contend for BTW title again. Lots of teams with issues on our side of the conference.

Crazy day; going from 87 in Orlando at Noon to driving home in KC at 10 PM in 1 degree weather. Go Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News