ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl projections ESPN 10/15/2018

IowaNiceHawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
May 2, 2016
St Donatus, IA
One of the prognosticators, on the Espin site has
IOWA vs Florida in the Citrus Bowl, Orlando ??

That would be a nice little vacation from Iowa in winter.

GO HAWKS :)

That actually would be a pretty good game judging from what both teams have been able to do so far. I at least wouldn't feel like Iowa was put in another lousy matchup. (Hey, I know, let's have a 7 win Iowa team play Oklahoma in a bowl game!)

I project Iowa in CFP
There are a couple of big "ifs" in the Iowa in the CFP scenario that would have to answered but if this team continues to improve each week
I project Iowa in CFP
There are a couple of big "ifs" for the Iowa in CFP that would have to answered in the coming weeks. We would have to win out and win the B1G title in the championship game. Tough?, yes. Impossible?, no. I like our chances with this team.

Reactions: Wadzinator
I just want a bowl game where the opponent isn't playing a virtual home game (i.e. Stanford in the Rose, Florida in the Outback, BC in the Pinstripe).

Edit: Perhaps BC having a home game is a bit of a stretch since there are 200 miles between them, but still close driving distance

I don't even care who we play anymore in bowl games I just don't want to play teams that we shouldn't be playing. Such as the example given when Iowa had 7 wins and played Oklahoma.

. I simply want a victoryI don't care who it is against.

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
I just want a bowl game where the opponent isn't playing a virtual home game (i.e. Stanford in the Rose, Florida in the Outback, BC in the Pinstripe).

Edit: Perhaps BC having a home game is a bit of a stretch since there are 200 miles between them, but still close driving distance
That's also a stretch to say Stanford had a virtual home game. It's over 350 miles from Palo Alto to Pasadena.

Reactions: bdg8 and IGot5onIt
That's also a stretch to say Stanford had a virtual home game. It's over 350 miles from Palo Alto to Pasadena.
Ol' Doodle seea your point. But that's only about 40 miles longer than Iowa City to Minneapolis. Do any Iowa fans consider that a long trip?

Reality is, not everyone can afford to fly from the midwest to L.A. And many can't physically tolerate the long drive. And that's not to mention the weather crap shoot that time of year.

But virtually no Stanford fan would be offput by a 5 hour drive from the Bay Area to SoCal. That is a significant difference...and indeed qualifies as a RELATIVE home game, same as what could be logically claimed if Iowa played Stanford in Chicago or St. Louis.

Kind of like when Iowa played Missouri, wait Iowa won.
Sure, but I think Missouri was overrated that year. But, I would rather play somebody that's at our level. Because you're not always going to end up with a Missouri as a draw. More often than not you're going to get a Stanford or Oklahoma that you really had no business playing

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
Sure, but I think Missouri was overrated that year. But, I would rather play somebody that's at our level. Because you're not always going to end up with a Missouri as a draw. More often than not you're going to get a Stanford or Oklahoma that you really had no business playing

Missouri got the shaft too drawing an underachieving Iowa team. With Iowa’s talent that year they belonged nowhere near this bowl game.

Reactions: VodkaSam

yep, b1g get screwed every year while every other power 5 gets an advantage.
guess they don't have planes and cars in ca,fl,tx etc

Ol' Doodle seea your point. But that's only about 40 miles longer than Iowa City to Minneapolis. Do any Iowa fans consider that a long trip?
stanford is use to going there, its nothing new or distracting to them.
they also have no new time zones to get used to etc.
driving from dsm to minny is a WAY longer drive than down the cali coast :)

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I dont know how it would work out but I would love to play Texas this year. That's a name school that I think we would pound this year.

You may want to add a second edit for Stanford.

Playing a non p5 UCF, no thanks, game in Arizona, hell yes.

IMHO, this game has some interesting potential headlines, providing the Hawks win:
* in the OmahaWH and LincolnJS, "Iowa beats both teams Frost was HC"
* or, "Iowa beats Frost's 2017 mythical national champion".

Maybe you can think of more snarky headlines?

Not completely against playing UCF in a bowl game we need to crush them and get their overrated @$$ team out of the top 25 so we don’t have to continue to hear about them complaining about not being in playoff contention when they are undefeated....

Nothing would solidify the "fake id" thing like going into a bowl rated higher than UCF and losing. If we are going to play UCF we would HAVE to win to change the perception.

(Bring on Texas)

Your last go-round with OU didn't go too well; I don't see any reason for things to end up any different for you this year, either!

....um...that's the joke...

Although I wasn't talking about this year. This year's Iowa team is a 1000 times better than than the one that OU played in 2011.

ADVERTISEMENT