ADVERTISEMENT

Bowls thinking of paying players to participate

Mountain Man Hawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
This Sports Illustrated article says in the future bowls may pay players to participate. I assume the increasing number of players opting out is part of the reason for the potential change.

Bowl game sponsors are getting creative in the era of NIL, striking deals with participants that may both stave off bowl opt-outs as well as provide a work-around to the NCAA policy prohibiting pay-for-play.

This could open the door to a more standard operating procedure of bowls directly paying players, potentially steering the money paid to conferences and schools toward athletes.

“We are really eager to have that conversation,” Carparelli says. “We think we can be a great solution for the commissioners. We know they are under increased pressure to find ways to put money in the pockets of student-athletes especially with the rapidly escalating television revenue. They are not able to pay players directly. If they were to desire bowls to make payments directly to players instead of conferences and schools, we can do that.”

Several holiday college basketball tournaments have paid participating players through NIL deals. But bowl checks would be more sizable. Bowl payouts range widely, from the Bahamas Bowl’s $225,000 and the New Mexico Bowl’s $1 million, to the Quick Lane Bowl’s $2 million and the Valero Alamo Bowl’s $8.2 million.

Traditionally, payouts go directly to conferences of participating teams. Leagues then normally distribute that revenue among their members.

“The payouts from bowl games could certainly be directed entirely to the players instead of the conferences if that’s what the commissioners wanted,” Carparelli says.

Most of the bowls simply aren't that interesting. I don't care how many they have - it doesn't bother me. But I'm less likely to watch many of them each passing year.

And teams having 100% of their players won't change it.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
It's guys not playing due to the transfer portal that are killing the level of play. Even getting a few opt outs to play isn't going to improve the product dramatically.

No,.. Biggest problem is that we have terrible bowls being created simply to function as money making opportunities for their developers and sponsors. 75% of the current crop of bowl teams don't deserve to be playing an a single snap after regular season play has ended...

Why not have an NIT football version for teams that don't make the 12 team playoff? That way the team is actually playing for a title. Keeps fans interested. Get to see more meaningful games. If the Div II and FCS can have playoffs. No reason why DivI can't. Somehow utilize the Bowls to host rounds.

NIL shall prove that paying people is the wrong way to go in amateur sports. unless they go pro. and get rid of the university. which will not happen.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
Why not have an NIT football version for teams that don't make the 12 team playoff? That way the team is actually playing for a title. Keeps fans interested. Get to see more meaningful games. If the Div II and FCS can have playoffs. No reason why DivI can't. Somehow utilize the Bowls to host rounds.
I posted exactly that scenario in a different thread.
Increase CFP to 16 teams. Then have a "NIT version" for the next 16 teams.
First eight games are held at the higher seed's home field.
Next four games are at "minor" bowl sites: Charlotte, Phoenix, Detroit and Nashville.
Next two games are at more "minor" bowl sites: Orlando and Tampa.
Final game in San Antonio.
Games could be played on Friday night and "early" Saturday kick-off . . . allowing the CFP to retain primetime spots.
Essentially allows for 7 "minor" bowls to stay somewhat relevant.

What are the NIT's ratings? You watch those games? I don't and I don't know of anyone else who does either.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
There is no way any players should play in the playoff without being paid and getting a piece of the money being generated. They will be putting their possible pro careers on the line in that gauntlet. Players need to unionize. It was hard to watch a big senior OT fire FSU go down with a serious injury at the end of their bowl this week. I felt bad for the kid.

Must be a government project. The solution doesn't fix the problem. Guys withdraw from bowl participation to hypothetically avoid injury. Paying them won't change that.

Last edited:
Reactions: mustang_hawk
There is no way any players should play in the playoff without being paid and getting a piece of the money being generated. They will be putting their possible pro careers on the line in that gauntlet. Players need to unionize. It was hard to watch a big senior OT fire FSU go down with a serious injury at the end of their bowl this week. I felt bad for the kid.
Also blow and hookers.

Bowls are getting desperate. I remember when stadiums would be packed in early 2000's. Can get a ticket in Nashville for 18 bucks this Saturday.

The reason why is because when you have 80 bowl slots to fill every year, most schools are going to bowls every year. So, the uniqueness of going to a bowl and traveling to one isn't what it used to be. The uniqueness now is making it to a NY6 bowl for most programs.

No,.. Biggest problem is that we have terrible bowls being created simply to function as money making opportunities for their developers and sponsors. 75% of the current crop of bowl teams don't deserve to be playing an a single snap after regular season play has ended...
Tbf, a big chunk of the bowl bloating is due to more bowls being created for the G5 schools, which is honestly understandable given how little they get back for their efforts.

There was a time not too long ago where the MAC champion would play a lame duck 7th or 8th place Big Ten team in Detroit......

However, I have advocated for a while, as have many others, to increase bowl eligibility to 7-5 across the board.

That will cut the fat off the bowl schedule a little bit as well.

18 teams finished 6-6 this year and made a bowl game. Two others (Army, Appalachian State) finished 6-6 and did not make a bowl game.

That would essentially be 9 bowl games cut from the current 42 game schedule.

Of course, the drawback to that is that the following teams wouldn't have gotten to finish the season with a win: Wisconsin, Memphis, UAB, New Mexico St., Buffalo, Southern Miss

But how do you get rid of bowl games when the 4 most-watched TV programs in all of cable in the targeted 18-49 year old demo on Tuesday were that day's bowl games? 3 of those 4 games didn't even involve P5 schools.

The market is still there for these bowl games. The fact people aren't traveling to the bowls like they used to, might be playing a factor in why so many are still watching the games.

Last edited:
The reason why is because when you have 80 bowl slots to fill every year, most schools are going to bowls every year. So, the uniqueness of going to a bowl and traveling to one isn't what it used to be. The uniqueness now is making it to a NY6 bowl for most programs.
This. The value of the product (event) has been diluted. Going to a bowl used to be a significant accomplishment. Now, all you have to do is go .500 if you're in a P5 conference. Bowls are no longer a reward for excellence or exceptional seasons. Jimmy Kimmel is a bowl sponsor...that should tell you everything you need to know.

Paying players won't help. The ones sitting out are doing so to protect themselves from hypothetical injuries.

But how do you get rid of bowl games when the 4 most-watched TV programs in all of cable in the targeted 18-49 year old demo on Tuesday were that day's bowl games? 3 of those 4 games didn't even involve P5 schools.

The market is still there for these bowl games. The fact people aren't traveling to the bowls like they used to, might be playing a factor in why so many are still watching the games.
I don't think you mean get rid of them totally do you?{ in your first sentence} but there are too many, really. or make the ones we have more relevant, somehow. we kind of screwed the pooch by wanting a playoff so badly.

Tbf, a big chunk of the bowl bloating is due to more bowls being created for the G5 schools, which is honestly understandable given how little they get back for their efforts.

There was a time not too long ago where the MAC champion would play a lame duck 7th or 8th place Big Ten team in Detroit......

However, I have advocated for a while, as have many others, to increase bowl eligibility to 7-5 across the board.

That will cut the fat off the bowl schedule a little bit as well.

18 teams finished 6-6 this year and made a bowl game. Two others (Army, Appalachian State) finished 6-6 and did not make a bowl game.

That would essentially be 9 bowl games cut from the current 42 game schedule.

Of course, the drawback to that is that the following teams wouldn't have gotten to finish the season with a win: Wisconsin, Memphis, UAB, New Mexico St., Buffalo, Southern Miss
the 7 win thing is probably the way to go

I don't think you mean get rid of them totally do you?{ in your first sentence} but there are too many, really. or make the ones we have more relevant, somehow. we kind of screwed the pooch by wanting a playoff so badly.

Even with all the transfers and opt-outs, the numbers show people are still watching the games, regardless who's playing in them. Monday's Quick Lane Bowl between New Mexico State and Bowling Green had 2.3 million viewers, and was the 6th most watched broadcast on all of cable in the most-desired 18-49 age demo. ESPN isn't going to want give up that sort of viewership anytime soon.

What are the NIT's ratings? You watch those games? I don't and I don't know of anyone else who does either.

Pistachio . . .
Here's my response.
What are the ratings for Duke's Mayo Bowl (Charlotte), Music City Bowl (Nashville), Motor City Bowl (Detroit), Guaranteed Rate Bowl (Phoenix), Cheez-It Citrus (Orlando), ReliaQuest (Tampa) and Alamo (San Antonio)? Would the ratings be worse if those bowls would be part of a "second tier" tournament? If the network is willing to televise Oklahoma v. FSU in a meaningless one-off Cheez-It Bowl game at the end of the year, why would it not be wiling to televise OU v. FSU in a Cheez-It Bowl as part of a second round game of a "NIT" tournament?

As for attendance, every site listed above is a decent sized metro population. I'd think that butts-in-the-seats would be comparable to what exists now.

Finally, college football games draw viewership interest. If some form of NIT-type tournament could be organized with those games being played early and leading into the actual CFP, I think that you'd likely generate as much - probably more - viewership than what the bowls are actually drawing now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkdiver
Pistachio . . .
Here's my response.
What are the ratings for Duke's Mayo Bowl (Charlotte), Music City Bowl (Nashville), Motor City Bowl (Detroit), Guaranteed Rate Bowl (Phoenix), Cheez-It Citrus (Orlando), ReliaQuest (Tampa) and Alamo (San Antonio)? Would the ratings be worse if those bowls would be part of a "second tier" tournament? If the network is willing to televise Oklahoma v. FSU in a meaningless one-off Cheez-It Bowl game at the end of the year, why would it not be wiling to televise it if it hosted a second round game of a "NIT" tournament?

As for attendance, every site listed above is a decent sized metro population. I'd think that butts-in-the-seats would be comparable to what exists now.

Finally, college football games draw viewership interest. If some form of NIT-type tournament could be organized with those games being played early and leading into the actual CFP, I think that you'd likely generate as much - probably more - viewership than what the bowls are actually drawing now.

Exactly. As I've mentioned, when looking at the TV ratings, almost every bowl game ranks among the top 10 most-viewed programs on all of cable each day in the most-desired 18-49 age demo. Many days, a bowl game IS the most viewed. That's whether it's P5 vs P5 or G5 vs G5. Transfers, opt-outs, etc.

I understand what the "too many bowl games" people are saying. But the market is showing otherwise. People are watching the games regardless the teams playing in them. Those numbers are going to have to show a decline before any bowls get dropped.

December 16: the 2 games were 3rd and 7th on cable
December 17: All 3 ABC bowls had over 2 million viewers
December 20: the 2 games were 1st and 5th
December 21 bowl game in 2nd in all of cable
December 22 bowl game was 1st in all of cable
December 23 2 games were 1st and 2nd
December 26: Quick Lane came in 6th
December 27.: the 4 games took the top 4 spots
December 28: ESPN's 3 games took the top 3 spots and the Holiday Bowl on Fox had almost 4 million viewers

Last edited:
Unionize? If the Can of Worms isn’t big enough already? Just another way to ruin CFB faster than it already is. Let the Inmates Run the Asylum.

Exactly. As I've mentioned, when looking at the TV ratings, almost every bowl game ranks among the top 10 most-viewed programs on all of cable each day in the most-desired 18-49 age demo. Many days, a bowl game IS the most viewed. That's whether it's P5 vs P5 or G5 vs G5. Transfers, opt-outs, etc.

I understand what the "too many bowl games" people are saying. But the market is showing otherwise. People are watching the games regardless the teams playing in them. Those numbers are going to have to show a decline before any bowls get dropped.

December 16: the 2 games were 3rd and 7th on cable
December 17: All 3 ABC bowls had over 2 million viewers
December 20: the 2 games were 1st and 5th
December 21 bowl game in 2nd in all of cable
December 22 bowl game was 1st in all of cable
December 23 2 games were 1st and 2nd
December 26: Quick Lane came in 6th
December 27.: the 4 games took the top 4 spots
December 28: ESPN's 3 games took the top 3 spots and the Holiday Bowl on Fox had almost 4 million viewers
Its because there is nothing else for them to compete against. What are they gonna put on the Pro Bowlers Tour or come up with yet another talking head show with endless drivel. If there was any kind of real competition these bowl games would be sunk real fast.

5-7 teams have no business playing in a bowl game, the bar keeps getting lowered, is 4-8 next? ;)

Simple solution - reduce the number of bowls. As others of said, the product is getting watered down...

This Sports Illustrated article says in the future bowls may pay players to participate. I assume the increasing number of players opting out is part of the reason for the potential change.

Bowl game sponsors are getting creative in the era of NIL, striking deals with participants that may both stave off bowl opt-outs as well as provide a work-around to the NCAA policy prohibiting pay-for-play.

This could open the door to a more standard operating procedure of bowls directly paying players, potentially steering the money paid to conferences and schools toward athletes.

“We are really eager to have that conversation,” Carparelli says. “We think we can be a great solution for the commissioners. We know they are under increased pressure to find ways to put money in the pockets of student-athletes especially with the rapidly escalating television revenue. They are not able to pay players directly. If they were to desire bowls to make payments directly to players instead of conferences and schools, we can do that.”

Several holiday college basketball tournaments have paid participating players through NIL deals. But bowl checks would be more sizable. Bowl payouts range widely, from the Bahamas Bowl’s $225,000 and the New Mexico Bowl’s $1 million, to the Quick Lane Bowl’s $2 million and the Valero Alamo Bowl’s $8.2 million.

Traditionally, payouts go directly to conferences of participating teams. Leagues then normally distribute that revenue among their members.

“The payouts from bowl games could certainly be directed entirely to the players instead of the conferences if that’s what the commissioners wanted,” Carparelli says.

Or simply move the portal to after bowl games.

Reactions: Whinny
Say what you will about 50/50 win-loss record teams being bowl eligible this year, some of the most exciting, entertaining bowl games in 2022 have been played by 6-6 teams. I'm not complaining.

Reactions: Cougar63
ADVERTISEMENT