ADVERTISEMENT

Boy the Big Ten Sure Took a Beating

So, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan St., Iowa, and Ohio St. all lost. The only remaining teams are Purdue and Michigan. May I go so far as saying the Big Ten sucks. At least the conference did this year.
I disagree. I felt the B1G was again the best. There just are no great teams, again.
How many B1G teams did you think would make the sweet 16? Two is on the low side of what I thought they could get, but not surprising for the way the B1G plays.

Ohio State sucks for losing to a 2 seed as a 10 seed, Michigan State sucks for losing to a 2 as a 7, Illinois sucks for losing to a 5 as a 4. Solid take OP.
That is the problem with the media. They just look at which conference wins and they don't look at seedings. When looking at seeding, Iowa Illinois, and Wisconsin are the only teams that lost that "should" have won based on seeding.

That is the problem with the media. They just look at which conference wins and they don't look at seedings. When looking at seeding, Iowa Illinois, and Wisconsin are the only teams that lost that "should" have won based on seeding.
I can't really hate on Illinois losing to a one-seed higher team. I didn't see the game, so I don't know specifics, but the seeds alone don't make me think much of it. A couple spots difference doesn't mean a whole lot - 3 to 6, 1 to 3/4, etc. We see a top 4 team in the nation lose to a top 20 team consistently throughout the season.

B1G under performed, certainly.

B1G was a competitive conference during the regular season internally. All of the teams also were noted to have significant flaws that were exposed as well. The best team, pu, made it through and is still alive. plus a surprising michigan group.

The outcomes aren't terribly surprising.

Reactions: TheRealHerky
Not surprised. Nobody in the B1G plays good defense comparatively to the other conferences (SEC/ACC/Big 12). However defense nowadays is considered hand checking, grabbing, crowding the circle. Essentially it's wrestling. So we aren't adapting, even if it is trash basketball, we need to do what it takes to win come tourney time and we aren't the only ones not doing that.

Not surprised. Nobody in the B1G plays good defense comparatively to the other conferences (SEC/ACC/Big 12). However defense nowadays is considered hand checking, grabbing, crowding the circle. Essentially it's wrestling. So we aren't adapting, even if it is trash basketball, we need to do what it takes to win come tourney time and we aren't the only ones not doing that.
Actually, I think the opposite is true.

Big Ten teams are "good enough" defensively, but outside of a handful of individual players, the vast majority of offenses in the Big Ten have been very mediocre at best comparatively speaking to the rest of the best in the country.

This is why everyone keeps saying if Iowa ever learned to play better defense.......

You take that and add it to our ability to score, which in recent years has consistently been among the tops in the conference, and on paper that looks like a recipe for success.

There were tons of games throughout the Big Ten this year, and not just in our games against B10 opponents, where I'm thinking to myself, okay for all the talk about "DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE" who in the f*** is gonna make clutch shots for Team X?......because I don't see it on this team.

Ohio State is a prime example. They have guys that can shoot, sure. But no one I thought was capable of being that takeover kind of player that could step up and knock down a 3 when they needed it the most.

Like I said, there's only a handful of those players in the conference at most this year.

The conference as a whole needs to get more on board with improving offensive play, as hard a pill that may be to swallow.

I disagree. I felt the B1G was again the best. There just are no great teams, again.
How many B1G teams did you think would make the sweet 16? Two is on the low side of what I thought they could get, but not surprising for the way the B1G plays.

What a powerful statement....we aint the best, but we have a lot of 2nd tier teams

Reactions: Fsanford
There is a lot of whistle swallowing in the NCAA tourney. It needs to be cleaned up.

That is like saying Congress should be less dysfunctional.

Design your play to take advantage of how refs call the game---Wisconsin. Bump and impede on defense with lower body but not hands, Flop as often as you can on defense, and hook and hold because those don't get called even on review. Make one guy with no shame the designated nut puncher, which may get caught on film.

If I was going to play devil’s advocate for one moment, Iowa St made the Sweet 16 in part because of B1G transfers that most B1G fans wouldn’t have thought anything of (Kalscheur/Brockington). So it’s not exactly like there aren’t any good players in this conference.

A lot of people love to tout the B1G coaches, but do they really deserve the love? Are they really good coaches or does the physicality of the B1G game give too much control to the coaches? Does that influence make them feel more important or better than they really are?

Actually, I think the opposite is true.

Big Ten teams are "good enough" defensively, but outside of a handful of individual players, the vast majority of offenses in the Big Ten have been very mediocre at best comparatively speaking to the rest of the best in the country.

This is why everyone keeps saying if Iowa ever learned to play better defense.......

You take that and add it to our ability to score, which in recent years has consistently been among the tops in the conference, and on paper that looks like a recipe for success.

There were tons of games throughout the Big Ten this year, and not just in our games against B10 opponents, where I'm thinking to myself, okay for all the talk about "DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE" who in the f*** is gonna make clutch shots for Team X?......because I don't see it on this team.

Ohio State is a prime example. They have guys that can shoot, sure. But no one I thought was capable of being that takeover kind of player that could step up and knock down a 3 when they needed it the most.

Like I said, there's only a handful of those players in the conference at most this year.

The conference as a whole needs to get more on board with improving offensive play, as hard a pill that may be to swallow.
Goes back to guard play i think. Look at the finalists for BIG POY, kofi-c, keegan-f, j davis-f, ej liddel-f, and 1 guard Ivey. Thinking through the teams I really can’t think of a truly dominant guard outside of ivey…possibly im overlooking someone?

Conference Teams in the Sweet 16:

Atlantic Coast: 3, Duke, N. Carolina, Miami
Big Twelve : 3, Kansas, Texas Tech, Iowa St.
Pac Twelve: 2, UCLA, Arizona
Big Ten: 2, Purdue, Michigan
Big East: 2, Villanova, Providence
AAC: 1, Houston
West Coast l, Gonzaga
Metro Atlantic: 1, St. Peter's
SEC: 1, Arkansas

Gonzaga, Kansas, and Arizona are #1 Seeds
Duke and Villanova are #2 Seeds

Most would agree that the B1G had at least 6 teams who would be considered to be among the top 32 teams in the country. Maybe 2 teams in the top 16. Only surprise is that one team is Michigan instead of Wisconsin/Iowa/Illinois.

Ohio State sucks for losing to a 2 seed as a 10 seed, Michigan State sucks for losing to a 2 as a 7, Illinois sucks for losing to a 5 as a 4. Solid take OP.
ISU could not have had better match ups. LSU was a carbon copy of ISU. Started well and stumbled in. They also had their head coach fired the week of the tournament. In the last week of the season, Wisconsin lost to fricking Nebraska. Wis. Was playing at home on Senior day! Nebraska was truly one of the worst teams in the country. They lost their first round BIG tourney game and barely got by the tooth paste company. (Colgate) To top it off, had to play without starting point guard. I will give ISU tons of credit if they beat Miami. So far, though, not so much.

Most would agree that the B1G had at least 6 teams who would be considered to be among the top 32 teams in the country. Maybe 2 teams in the top 16. Only surprise is that one team is Michigan instead of Wisconsin/Iowa/Illinois.

Yes....... but for media and casual fans, all that matters is how many teams in Final4 and who wins National title.
Too many iowa/b1g fans protesting about reality. I picked Purdue into Final-4 and that would shut up the mediat. However, journey looks treacherous because Purdue is loose with the ball and defense not very good but they have been given an easy path.

I do think we are seeing a lot of parity, especially with teams that play the portal and/or extra covid year eligibility to ther advantage.

Here is a good example of Media take on Big10 performance.

ISU could not have had better match ups. LSU was a carbon copy of ISU. Started well and stumbled in. They also had their head coach fired the week of the tournament. In the last week of the season, Wisconsin lost to fricking Nebraska. Wis. Was playing at home on Senior day! Nebraska was truly one of the worst teams in the country. They lost their first round BIG tourney game and barely got by the tooth paste company. (Colgate) To top it off, had to play without starting point guard. I will give ISU tons of credit if they beat Miami. So far, though, not so much.
I thought Wisconsin was a horrible matchup for ISU.

playing a disciplined organized team in their own backyard. I figured they would get crushed.

There was a foul at half court that should have been called but since Arizona was playing a home game ref swallowed the whistle
Over and back before any foul. And…refs shouldn’t be calling fouls on traps where the offensive player has backed up the dribble twice and pushed off with the forearm with 3 seconds left in the game while standing on the midcourt line all while they have been letting TCU play super physical all game.

If they call that a foul they have basically decided the game. There were plenty of no calls for TCU throughout the game, I would argue they got the lions share.

I am pretty sure everyone here agrees that it’s better to let the players decide it in OT, and that was decisive.

I see you got the Hawk talking points. So you’re not impressed ISU beat the regular season Big Ten champ? With a 90% Badger crowd? As the 6th best Big 12 team?

So losing their guard, who averaged 8 pts a game, and still played half the game, and ISU was winning when he went out, was the reason they lost? Delusional.

But you’ll be more impressed if we beat a 10 seed? Over your conference champ? These threads are hilarious. Unintentionally ripping your own conference, and showing you know nothing about hoops. Iowa fans in a nutshell.

So, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan St., Iowa, and Ohio St. all lost. The only remaining teams are Purdue and Michigan. May I go so far as saying the Big Ten sucks. At least the conference did this year.
You forgot Indiana and Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT