ADVERTISEMENT

Boycott the scalpers!

4everahawk

All-Conference
Jul 29, 2002
The scalpers were horrible in Cleveland. I think there’s a simple solution to the problem -boycott them! If tickets are going to be as scarce next year as some are predicting, there will be plenty of legitimate fans who will be willing to pay face value or more. Personally, I would rather sell my tickets at a loss or even give them away to a fellow fan than deal with those bloodsuckers. I wonder if we could get a grassroots movement going among fans from multiple schools. Maybe some of you who post on other boards could suggest this.

I posted last week that this could be a tough ticket based on several circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gobblin
Lax and I were at the mercy of the scalpers in Cleveland - we had budgeted a certain amount to pay, and were prepared to pay quite a bit more than face value. But when we couldn't find all-session tickets on Thursday morning, we were forced to buy individual tickets before each session, at high prices from scalpers. For semis we couldn't pay their prices ($200) and had to watch at a nearby restaurant.

I think that part of the solution is to get the word out to the wrestling community, encouraging them to sell only to other fans. The challenge is HOW to get the word out. FLO? Any ideas?

Last edited:
So you guys say don't sell tickets or buy from scalpers? Why? Because you'll call them nasty names? Makes perfect sense.
If you want tickets buy them, that's the way the economy works. Let the poor people worry about the cost.

My group was at the mercy of the scalpers too. For the 1/4 final round we were spread out asking if others had tickets. I passes one young guy and asked him. He said he just sold some and pointed right at the scalper across the road. "Damn," I said. "How much?" I asked. He told me face value.

My father in law immediately bought them from the scalper for $200/3 tix. The scalper was walking away from out offer of $150 for 3 and we settled at $200.

Those were the last tickets we bought. We watched the semis from the hotel and the finals from home. This was the 1st time in 18 years we paid more than face value.

So you guys say don't sell tickets or buy from scalpers? Why? Because you'll call them nasty names? Makes perfect sense.
If you want tickets buy them, that's the way the economy works. Let the poor people worry about the cost.

If you’re a fan...why would you sell to a scalper when another fan would gladly pay the same price?

I've been on both ends of the buying and selling. That's crazy how awful some of your experiences were because I've had no problems buying tickets at any of the previous locations. But you need to start your quest before you get to the arena by just asking as many people as you can.

I've sold tickets to scalpers before. Sometimes you just need to dump them quickly. I didn't want to but also didn't have time to dick around outside hoping to sell them. Many are selling for a buddy that can't make a session and just wants some beer money back. I've done that before and you can be waiting around a long time sometimes. I am shocked by how often people will hit up the scalpers when there's a fan holding up tickets right next to them. I agree with a lot of the sentiment here. As much as possible, try to deal with other fans as much as possible. The professional scalpers are pretty easy to spot. They also end up eating a good chunk of their tickets. They don't care as long as they're selling way above face value on the others.

Cal98,
My experience in the past was just as you describe it. Many, many regular folks were selling tickets. I only saw one regular guy selling tickets this week and we bought his tickets (for 1st session only). The scalpers were out in force, and there were not many tickets to be had. The supply was far shorter than the demand this time. The PSU and tOSU fans had already taken most of the ticket allotment through whatever their channels were and the rest of the organizations that are usually trying to unload tickets before the tournament were simply not there this time.

Everyone that we talked to in our situation said that this was a different experience than they had ever seen. We talked to a man who had been buying on the street for the past 40 years. He had gotten a hold of tickets beforehand and sold them as they were not good enough seats for his liking. He ended up outside the arena looking for any kind of ticket just to get in the door.

I can't see it being any better next year.

PM

Reactions: Mendoza77
I've been on both ends of the buying and selling. That's crazy how awful some of your experiences were because I've had no problems buying tickets at any of the previous locations. But you need to start your quest before you get to the arena by just asking as many people as you can.

I've sold tickets to scalpers before. Sometimes you just need to dump them quickly. I didn't want to but also didn't have time to dick around outside hoping to sell them. Many are selling for a buddy that can't make a session and just wants some beer money back. I've done that before and you can be waiting around a long time sometimes. I am shocked by how often people will hit up the scalpers when there's a fan holding up tickets right next to them. I agree with a lot of the sentiment here. As much as possible, try to deal with other fans as much as possible. The professional scalpers are pretty easy to spot. They also end up eating a good chunk of their tickets. They don't care as long as they're selling way above face value on the others.

I wouldn't be so tough on the scalpers. When you think about it they provide a pretty valuable service. Personally, I was glad they were there as I was both a buyer and a seller this past weekend.

I had 4 first session upper deck tickets to sell for a family that could not make the first session. I tried for about 30 minutes and could only find those looking for full session lower level. The whole time I was watching the "bread lines" backing up half way to Toledo. With 40 minutes til show time I decided to start looking for the end of the line. Along the way I was able to sell them for $15 each. They were 2 pairs of 2 and nobody showed up for either pair. My guess is the scalper ate the 4 tickets.

On the buying end, I got a message during the Friday night session from the father of one of Spencer's HS teammates looking for a finals only session for him and his son. As I walked out of the arena there were 3 scalpers looking to buy tickets for both Saturday sessions. I told them I was looking for 2 finals only and was able to buy 2 upper deck seats for $180 each. I was happy, the scalper was happy and my buddy was thrilled as he was willing to pay $300 each.

IMO, scalping is a victimless crime. It's a business that requires upfront capital, hard work and willingness to take risk. It's a much riskier business model than Stubhub and the other resellers as they actually purchase the tickets and assume the risk of not being able to sell them. It may not be for everyone but I have made many last minute decisions to attend sporting events and the scalping model has worked pretty well for me.

Reactions: FineMaterial
Lax and I were at the mercy of the scalpers in Cleveland - we had budgeted a certain amount to pay, and were prepared to pay quite a bit more than face value. But when we couldn't find all-session tickets on Thursday morning, we were forced to buy individual tickets before each session, at high prices from scalpers. For semis we couldn't pay their prices ($200) and had to watch at a nearby restaurant.

I think that part of the solution is to get the word out to the wrestling community, encouraging them to sell only to other fans. The challenge is HOW to get the word out. FLO? Any ideas?
Buy season tickets and kick in a few bucks and get them thru Iowa.

Reactions: CoachKRK
I wouldn't be so tough on the scalpers. When you think about it they provide a pretty valuable service. Personally, I was glad they were there as I was both a buyer and a seller this past weekend.

I had 4 first session upper deck tickets to sell for a family that could not make the first session. I tried for about 30 minutes and could only find those looking for full session lower level. The whole time I was watching the "bread lines" backing up half way to Toledo. With 40 minutes til show time I decided to start looking for the end of the line. Along the way I was able to sell them for $15 each. They were 2 pairs of 2 and nobody showed up for either pair. My guess is the scalper ate the 4 tickets.

On the buying end, I got a message during the Friday night session from the father of one of Spencer's HS teammates looking for a finals only session for him and his son. As I walked out of the arena there were 3 scalpers looking to buy tickets for both Saturday sessions. I told them I was looking for 2 finals only and was able to buy 2 upper deck seats for $180 each. I was happy, the scalper was happy and my buddy was thrilled as he was willing to pay $300 each.

IMO, scalping is a victimless crime. It's a business that requires upfront capital, hard work and willingness to take risk. It's a much riskier business model than Stubhub and the other resellers as they actually purchase the tickets and assume the risk of not being able to sell them. It may not be for everyone but I have made many last minute decisions to attend sporting events and the scalping model has worked pretty well for me.
Same guys buying and selling at every home fb game.

Reactions: ih8iast8 and HKI
Flo should provide a link on their site to a website such cashortrade.org (Or create and host a site). There, music fans sell for face or trade for equivalent. Scalping is not allowed. I've been on both ends and have had great success with that site. Have met some really cool people too.

Flo should provide a link on their site to a website such cashortrade.org (Or create and host a site). There, music fans sell for face or trade for equivalent. Scalping is not allowed. I've been on both ends and have had great success with that site. Have met some really cool people too.

Thanks - looks like a great site, just added it to my bookmarks.

Scalpers are market makers plan and simple. They are providing a service even if you don't like it. It is a sign of a healthy sport. I find it weird that everyone has such a hard time getting tickets. I have never had a problem in my life getting regular tickets unless I waited til the last minute. Don't wait til the last minute. Become a season ticket holder at a bunch of schools. Make some good friends...

Scalpers are market makers plan and simple. They are providing a service even if you don't like it. It is a sign of a healthy sport. I find it weird that everyone has such a hard time getting tickets. I have never had a problem in my life getting regular tickets unless I waited til the last minute. Don't wait til the last minute. Become a season ticket holder at a bunch of schools. Make some good friends...

Become a season ticket holder at a bunch of schools?! You serious Clark??

Become a season ticket holder at a bunch of schools?! You serious Clark??

It’s not a terrible idea. I know wrestling tix are cheap at Wisconsin. But they also have pre orders for the NCAAs for ticket holders.

Sounds like finding cheap season tickets at a school and applying for NCAAs through them might not be the worst idea after seeing the market this year.

Sounds like a good plan... let's donate to a shitty wrestling school (except Iowa State) while also bombarding Pittsburgh with fans of the soon to be 2019 National Champs.

I'll pick Indiana

The scalping situation is not limited to wrestling. March Madness tickets are going for stupid prices, and try to buy tickets to a concert these days...
With that said, maybe we can make an impact on our little corner of this grossly inflated market. If I had enough money to pay $1k for all-session tickets, I would still not pay it to a gang of people that are out to spend a few hours a session to make thousands of dollars on honest and hard working wrestling fans (regardless of where you are from).
We can't just accept this! We can't make excuses for the "hard-working" scalpers! And we certainly can't listen to the elitists that tell us just to pony up the dough and stop complaining (and just eat cake)!
THIS IS OUR SPORT!!! Let's own it!
I am willing do whatever it takes, because my kid is never, EVER, going to sit in a Buffalo Wild Wings again watching the quarters and the semis because I refused to pay upwards of $450 per seat!

My God! You cannot be serious!!!

I have never had a hard time getting tickets either...until this year. I have gone to every NCAA tournament since 1997 (aside from the two years in NY) and I always get tickets in the last couple of days. I got all-session tickets last year for $300 in the lower level right before the first session started.

But something changed...Ticketmaster open a resale section on their website. Next years tickets went on sale on Wednesday (I guess), and within a couple of hours, upper level prices for Pittsburgh were going for over $1k on the Ticketmaster resale site. This is the same site that you are direct to from the NCAA site, but they call it the "NCAA Ticket Exchange".

What is wrong with this?

Ticketmaster makes a percentage of every original ticket that they sell, and then they make a percentage on their own resale site based on the hugely inflated price? Is this appropriate? Doesn't anyone see something criminal in this?

Victimless? Really? Tell me 15 year old that.
This year was a new year, and I am not about to let this happen to us!

If you are going to sell your tickets, how do you know the buyer is not a scalper?

Okay...get this! Before the first session I had a guy come up to me and flash a badge...telling me that there are only two places to buy and sell tickets. He directed me to the scalping gang, where there was no way to actually buy tickets from real fans. The shear number of scalpers prohibits that! They bought the tickets on the way in, and then sold them to people for 3-4x the price minutes later.
I realize now that I was an idiot. I did not look very closely at the badge. I actually thanked the man for directing me to where people were selling. This guy was in street clothes and no other law enforcement officials had said anything to me. I bet my life that he was not a cop...
My bad...but really?

If you are going to sell your tickets, how do you know the buyer is not a scalper?
Look for the person that looks like they have no business being at a wrestling event. Are they wearing apparel that represents a school? Really...they are not too hard to spot.

Reactions: ping72
The scalping situation is not limited to wrestling. March Madness tickets are going for stupid prices, and try to buy tickets to a concert these days...
With that said, maybe we can make an impact on our little corner of this grossly inflated market. If I had enough money to pay $1k for all-session tickets, I would still not pay it to a gang of people that are out to spend a few hours a session to make thousands of dollars on honest and hard working wrestling fans (regardless of where you are from).
We can't just accept this! We can't make excuses for the "hard-working" scalpers! And we certainly can't listen to the elitists that tell us just to pony up the dough and stop complaining (and just eat cake)!
THIS IS OUR SPORT!!! Let's own it!
I am willing do whatever it takes, because my kid is never, EVER, going to sit in a Buffalo Wild Wings again watching the quarters and the semis because I refused to pay upwards of $450 per seat!
Ok then. Enjoy your trip to Pittsburgh then. I hear the bars are lovely.

Tennessee Chattanooga was $55...
I agree, and in fact I can’t understand why people object to a clever market solution to an artificial market problem.

I mean, y’all are coming nstantly talking about growing the sport etc, it’s a perfect win win

I had no idea prices were this cheap. I retract my original statement.

I think ISU is giving free pizzas away with season ticket orders. And since they no longer compete at NCAAs, getting tickets from their allottment should be no problem!

cashortrade.org is a site to look at for how it should be done, selling tickets at face value or trading for tickets for tickets. Everybody who doesn't want to sell tickets through hub or sell them to scalpers can do this. Look into it and see if events other than music can be posted there, or create something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT