ADVERTISEMENT

Boyle

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
Does anyone else think he has a pretty good shot to be the surprise at QB this year? It seems to me he is being mentioned the least but might be the best fit for our offense.

You really dont need to be a great thrower to lead our offense (Brad Banks) you just have to make the throws when they are there. I think sometimes our fans undervalue mobile QBs in our system with our naked boots and mis-direction. We seem to be most effective when we have that threat. Problem is we saw that CJ was never the same after getting hurt.

He is super athletic and a winner. Probably doesnt have as good of an arm as Stanley but has much better feet.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
Coaches mentioned that there were 2 tiers of QBs on the team. Stanley and Weigers were clearly ahead of Cook and Boyle. Boyle would have a lot of ground to make up.

Does anyone else think he has a pretty good shot to be the surprise at QB this year? It seems to me he is being mentioned the least but might be the best fit for our offense.

You really dont need to be a great thrower to lead our offense (Brad Banks) you just have to make the throws when they are there. I think sometimes our fans undervalue mobile QBs in our system with our naked boots and mis-direction. We seem to be most effective when we have that threat. Problem is we saw that CJ was never the same after getting hurt.

He is super athletic and a winner. Probably doesnt have as good of an arm as Stanley but has much better feet.
I'm having a hard time with your comment that Boyle fits the offense best. This based off of what? We haven't really seen any of them take a college snap. Nor have we seen what Iowa's offense will be under BF. Sure he's athletic, but so are the others or they wouldn't have been recruited to play college football. I'd argue that Peyton Mansell is the best fit if you want one who has a good arm and good feet, of course I could be wrong. But nobody knows until we see them in action.

Boyle will not take a snap at QB this year.

I agree, but I do wonder what would happen if somehow Iowa is ahead of a team by, say, 30+ in the third quarter? I'd think that's the only way he might get in.

I agree, but I do wonder what would happen if somehow Iowa is ahead of a team by, say, 30+ in the third quarter? I'd think that's the only way he might get in.
If we're up big late against North Texas, with both Stanley and Wiegers having played minutes, then we might see Boyle. But that's a lot of if's. Everything we've heard from the coaches indicates Ryan is well behind.

I'm having a hard time with your comment that Boyle fits the offense best. This based off of what? We haven't really seen any of them take a college snap. Nor have we seen what Iowa's offense will be under BF. Sure he's athletic, but so are the others or they wouldn't have been recruited to play college football. I'd argue that Peyton Mansell is the best fit if you want one who has a good arm and good feet, of course I could be wrong. But nobody knows until we see them in action.

Yes it is all speculation at this point.

My point is in our offense we dont ask a ton of our QBs. We RARELY throw it deep, mostly 10 yard routes, TEs hitches and screens. On top of that, we run it greater than 50% of the time most years.

The years were Iowa has truly been special is when we have QBs that pick up random 1st down with their legs in games. He would be very hard to stop on boots and when teams were in man to man coverage. With that said, I think Stanley has a terrific arm and adequate speed so Im not complaining.

My point is in our offense we dont ask a ton of our QBs. We RARELY throw it deep, mostly 10 yard routes, TEs hitches and screens. On top of that, we run it greater than 50% of the time most years.

The years were Iowa has truly been special is when we have QBs that pick up random 1st down with their legs in games. He would be very hard to stop on boots and when teams were in man to man coverage. With that said, I think Stanley has a terrific arm and adequate speed so Im not complaining.

We will throw it down field more this year, but for sake of argument I think you'd be surprised how often we did indeed throw it down field, albeit incomplete. I think you might also be surprised how much or how little teams generally throw it deep down field. Not nearly as often as you'd think....mostly because it isn't a high percentage play.

We will throw it down field more this year, but for sake of argument I think you'd be surprised how often we did indeed throw it down field, albeit incomplete. I think you might also be surprised how much or how little teams generally throw it deep down field. Not nearly as often as you'd think....mostly because it isn't a high percentage play.
It can also be done, completed or not, to open up passes underneath and to the TE.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I just haven't seen anything out of Wiegers that leaves me optimistic about him having success but I am the classic pessimist with QB play.

I do wonder where/if he will ever see the field and in what capacity outside special teams ... He is super athletic ... Moving back from receiver to QB ... anything is possible ... I just don't know what role he will play ...

Wrong Boyle.
Right reaction.

susan-boyle-873196098.jpg

How would you know who the best fit for this new offense is ?

You keep talking about our offense, you know zero about this new offense just like the rest of us.

Stanzi in latter part of 2008 and all of 2009? and CJ was not a dual threat QB.

CJ was a much better runner than Stanzi ever was when he was healthy. Stanzi did have better pocket presence and a feel for the rush though.
But neither should ever be considered dual threat. This was in response to Boyle and your comment that when iowa has had a special season it's been with qb's who can run. My point is you don't have to have a dual threat QB to have a special season or to have a QB who can pick up yardage with their legs, but you do need one that can pass well. As far as I'm concerned that's not Boyle. Maybe he can prove me wrong.

Boyle will not take a snap at QB this year.
I hope he does get to play QB this year. I have concerns about Wieger's arm strength, and I don't know if Stanley will be ready this year. Our offense is always better when we have a mobile quarterback.

I hope he does get to play QB this year. I have concerns about Wieger's arm strength, and I don't know if Stanley will be ready this year. Our offense is always better when we have a mobile quarterback.

I seem to remember, arm strength being something that was a strength of his when he came out.

Does Boyle have a stronger arm than Wiegers? I don't recall that he does.

It's more likely than not that he takes no snaps at QB.

I'd actually like to see him get a few as a wildcat, then make a surprise throw or two on the roll out. But, that's asking for a level of creativity and deception which they have not shown under KF so I'm not holding my breath.

I think it's funny that some on this board expect a new offense. OC makes no difference, it will still be Kirk ball all the way. Ball control, use up the clock, and keep down the mistakes. No fun, but it's the "Iowa culture".

Reactions: naturalmwa
I think it's funny that some on this board expect a new offense. OC makes no difference, it will still be Kirk ball all the way. Ball control, use up the clock, and keep down the mistakes. No fun, but it's the "Iowa culture".
Love it....love the grind it out...beat you up offense. Not there to entertain you. I know you think they should, but the real truth is they couldn't care less about you.

Reactions: Freyvet
I think you're somewhat off base here. This OC is going to have the head man's ear and I think they'll take a few more chances than you think they will.

I watched Boyle play in high school and he looked big time. However- 1) he was playing behind the best line in the state, and 2) high school play just doesn't translate into college play, where everybody is super-talented compared to the high school level. I think the coaches who see the players in practice every day are FAR more capable of determining the starters than we are. We can express our opinions, but we are on the outside looking in.

Nobody is expecting a whole new offense. Running game will remain the same. The passing game, not so much.

I watched Boyle play in high school and he looked big time. However- 1) he was playing behind the best line in the state, and 2) high school play just doesn't translate into college play, where everybody is super-talented compared to the high school level. I think the coaches who see the players in practice every day are FAR more capable of determining the starters than we are. We can express our opinions, but we are on the outside looking in.

I'll take this a step further, I watched him play in those championship games and although he was a man amongst boys I was not impressed with his arm at all. Same goes with Drew cook he was incredible yet he had a goofy throwing motion and I found myself wondering how in the world he was ever going to be a big 10 quarterback… Now not saying I know anything because I don't just the impression I had.

Now to be fair Nathan Stanley's throwing clips werent all that impressive either but it was easy to see he'd had a cannon for an arm.

I would be surprised if Boyle takes any snaps at quarterback this year unless they are in garbage time. He choose to or was encouraged to move to WR last year which to me translates to you are not going to be playing QB anytime soon. So after a year with no reps at QB it is highly unlikely that he will be in the QB competition unless there is injuries.

Reactions: And1Hawk
So, your not sure that Stanley will be ready this year, when he was the number 2 guy last year, got reps in practice, and actually played a little in some games, but you think we need to play Boyle? You realize he's the guy they moved to wide receiver last year, who spent most of his time at Iowa NOT practicing to be a QB, and a lot of people who saw him play in high school questioned if he wouldn't be better off moving to wide out, or safety. When KOK was asked earlier about the QB's he said Stanley and Wiegers were at one level, and the other guys were at a lower level, as far as their readiness to play QB in Iowa's offense. I guess I'm confused what you know that the coaches obviously don't? :confused:

Reactions: Ree4 and Pepperman
What would you like to Wager on that ?

Go Hawks :)
You must know something no one else does, so do tell? Unless Stanley and Weigers both get injured, its highly unlikely ANYONE else will take snaps this year The two font runners will need all the reps they can get, before BIG play.

I'll take this a step further, I watched him play in those championship games and although he was a man amongst boys I was not impressed with his arm at all. Same goes with Drew cook he was incredible yet he had a goofy throwing motion and I found myself wondering how in the world he was ever going to be a big 10 quarterback… Now not saying I know anything because I don't just the impression I had.

Now to be fair Nathan Stanley's throwing clips werent all that impressive either but it was easy to see he'd had a cannon for an arm.

You are correct, even spot on, with the Boyle part. He was a RB that could connect every now and then.

I don't know much about Stanley but have also heard his arm is strong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT