ADVERTISEMENT

Boyz....and I thought Terry Branstad was stubborn!

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Kim still has her legislature "in session" to approve her financial aid bill to private schools. The legislature only has ONE constitutionally mandated job and that is to approve a state budget.......but so far, Iowa doesn't have A BUDGET! Now, the GOP has huge, untouchable majorities in both the House and Senate but they can't agree on a budget? Why??
The "budget" crisis is really all about Ms. Reynolds desire to violate the spirit of Iowa's and the nation's Constitutions and use state collected tax monies to finance private and parochial schools. The idea is widely opposed......Opposed to the point that even her GOP majority legislature refuses to pass the bill. YET......she has them in session....at NO pay and is patiently ready to "wait them out" for her bill to be passed.
Imagine if Chet Culver would have tried a stunt like this.....can you imagine the outrage from Iowa Republicans? But with Kim......crickets.....My governor has redefined "stubborn"......amazing.

Yes she is stubborn. Also there was an effort to bring forward a bill to ban the use of eminent domain for private gain before the fall election. Reynolds told Republican leaders to shelve it. The CO2 pipeline companies and ethanol companies pay her to move their agenda along.
Why don't you Democrats get somebody that can beat her this fall? I want her out.

Yes she is stubborn. Also there was an effort to bring forward a bill to ban the use of eminent domain for private gain before the fall election. Reynolds told Republican leaders to shelve it. The CO2 pipeline companies and ethanol companies pay her to move their agenda along.
Why don't you Democrats get somebody that can beat her this fall? I want her out.
Because for some unknown reason there are more of you Republicans here? Wanna help by voting for the democratic nominee and convincing some of the other Rs to join you? Unfortunately there are not enough democrats on our own

Reactions: hawkbirch
Trump won Iowa twice. The shittiness of Iowa Rs is not something my side can fix.

She is a two time drunk driver, drove education into the ground, still licks Trump's boots, yet is going to win. That's not on the Dems. That's on the Rs for voting for crap, no matter how bad, simply because they have an R next to their name.
UNBORN BABIES!!!
That’s all that has mattered for decades to the GOP, especially in Iowa. Now some republicans are waking up and seeing that their kids are getting screwed over by the jihadists.

UNBORN BABIES!!!
That’s all that has mattered for decades to the GOP, especially in Iowa. Now some republicans are waking up and seeing that their kids are getting screwed over by the jihadists.
Rs have a 9 point bias according to 538. Reynolds sucks, Grassley is an embarrassment these days, Hinson, King, 3M. It's one crap candidate after another. Yet they all win. All Iowans need to hear are guns and scary minorities and they line up to vote for this.

Who is even the Democrat running against Reynolds? I remember starting a thread about the black lady but can’t put a name on her which is the Iowa Democrats fault. They did an absolutely shitty job on bringing forward a candidate

Who is even the Democrat running against Reynolds? I remember starting a thread about the black lady but can’t put a name on her which is the Iowa Democrats fault. They did an absolutely shitty job on bringing forward a candidate
Honest question. Who could the Dems put forward who could beat a 9 point handicap?

She is a two time drunk driver, drove education into the ground, still licks Trump's boots, yet is going to win. That's not on the Dems. That's on the Rs for voting for crap, no matter how bad, simply because they have an R next to their name.
And as long as she pisses off you Liberal whack-jobs, she might be the next Emperor of Iowa. That's her job definition and sounds like she excels at it. It's called WINNING!

• Haha
Reactions: Mpchillin
Joel, point to where the private school hurt you...
You bring up your hate for private schools every single day. You are obsessed.
You’ve got to tell us why...

Reactions: NCHawk5
I agree they'd be bitching up[ a storm if Culver was doing this, but he's not so they are ok with it. I do not agree with tax $ going to private schools. You want to send Kayden to a private school... pay for it yourself. In fact, the state should be putting more money into public schools to work towards getting them back to where they were in the 90s and earlier.

Honest question. Who could the Dems put forward who could beat a 9 point handicap?
No idea but I would think maybe get the party riled up and spread whatever platform they are pushing is a good first step compared to conceding. Even if you don’t win you do work now for the future

Because for some unknown reason there are more of you Republicans here? Wanna help by voting for the democratic nominee and convincing some of the other Rs to join you? Unfortunately there are not enough democrats on our own
And why is that? It didn’t used to be that way. 🤔 maybe Elon has a point about the left.

Maybe you should fix a party that no longer cares about the working class. Or you could just scream ultra MAGAs and be foolish enough to think that will work.

Taxpayer dollars should go to PUBLIC schools. The goal should be to make our public schools #1 in the nation again. If Iowa's private schools are even better, then that's cool too.

Reactions: B1GDeal
Taxpayer dollars should go to PUBLIC schools. The goal should be to make our public schools #1 in the nation again. If Iowa's private schools are even better, then that's cool too.
So your concern is the school institution and not the individual kids? Don't tie the money to where the kid goes to school then.

There is no one here who supports the idea of “privTe/parochial schools” more than I! It just needs to be done on there own dime....not the taxpayers.
Now, if privTe schools would be required to accept all comers regardless of income or background...if privTe schools would be required to be run by elected lay people and private schools would be subject to all the curriculum requirements of other publicly funded schools, I might change my mind. But until this is fact, NO tax dollars to private/ parochial schools! None...not one red cent.

Yes, I am. There are others doing the same.
This issue has "swung" me in the Governor's race.

I've mentioned this before, but Kim is one the biggest R disappointments in a long time. I had high hopes that she'd be - like me - a RINO (much like Branstad) which is why I voted for her originally. Not some "own the libs" conservative that instead would focus on improving the lives of as many Iowans as she could through thoughtful policy and action. HA! Jokes one me! Instead, she's gone full on dufus and bathes in the waters of Trumpism to stay aligned with a base of Iowans that IMHO represent the worst of the state. Oh well, congratulations small town, rural backwards Iowa. You got your girl.

There is no one here who supports the idea of “privTe/parochial schools” more than I! It just needs to be done on there own dime....not the taxpayers.
Now, if privTe schools would be required to accept all comers regardless of income or background...if privTe schools would be required to be run by elected lay people and private schools would be subject to all the curriculum requirements of other publicly funded schools, I might change my mind. But until this is fact, NO tax dollars to private/ parochial schools! None...not one red cent.

Yup. You can have your precious vouchers private schools - but selectivity goes out the window. You have to take all comers. And you have to pay for any special services required by a child that's attending your school. Sorry, you can't farm that off to the public school because you don't have the means to support a blind kid now. Oh, and your curriculum? No more mandatory bullshit about Jesus and the holy spirit. And you'll be subject to the same oversight as a public school since you're taking public money now - get ready for the school board invasion. Basically, you're now a public school.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerHawk33
Ok, but our tax dollars go to lots of things we don't all agree with. And, things far less beneficial than the education of our children. But, this is the one thing that really upsets you in regards to where tax money is potentially spent.
It's an odd place to focus your anger.

Ok, but our tax dollars go to lots of things we don't all agree with. And, things far less beneficial than the education of our children. But, this is the one thing that really upsets you in regards to where tax money is potentially spent.
It's an odd place to focus your anger.
Not the argument here at all. Separation of "church and state" has been a key reason America has been a success story.....Unfortunately, the past 40 years, these lines have seemed to become increasingly blurred and confusion is starting to set in.
Taxes and their use will always be debated. Keeping "church and state" separate is key to the nation's success. A strong public education system is what is needed for the well being of this country. It is what has kept America unique in this world.

Reactions: Bearhawk0505
Nobody,.. that would require an individual with talent and a message.
Honestly, it would require a national level talent. I wish we had that talent. Every state does. But we don't. My point is that blaming the Dems for Republican misbehavior is unreasonable.

Not the argument here at all. Separation of "church and state" has been a key reason America has been a success story.....Unfortunately, the past 40 years, these lines have seemed to become increasingly blurred and confusion is starting to set in.
Taxes and their use will always be debated. Keeping "church and state" separate is key to the nation's success. A strong public education system is what is needed for the well being of this country. It is what has kept America unique in this world.

Not all private schools are religious schools. So, that argument doesn't really hold up.

Not all private schools are religious schools. So, that argument doesn't really hold up.
My basic argument still holds water.....Once these "select" schools are required to open their doors to all regardless of income, race, religion, creed and once these schools open up their curriculums and their ruling bodies to the public...then perhaps I will change my mind. But until then.......not one red cent of my money goes to subsidize folks who think they are too special to be educated with the rest of us.

ADVERTISEMENT