ADVERTISEMENT

Brace for disgusting and despicable pardons on horizon

Question for legal beagles. How far do preemtive presidential pardons extend? Can you commit crimes for 1 year, or 5 years? This is nuts. Pardon a guy and he can knock off a bank. Or kill some one. Or kill 500.

No future free pass; just past conduct.

There is a process, and Trump has ignored it. There is an office at the DoJ that handles pardons. They weren’t complicit enough, so Trump bypassed them. But, yes, we need to look at some controls.

I think we agree that even if there is a process, it is clearly faulty. Even if it is not bullet proof, it would seem pretty doable to make it so either the Senate or the House has to ratify a POTUS pardon OR a POTUS pardon can be rescinded by a vote of some sort by either the House and/or the Senate.

No future free pass; just past conduct.

So why is he talking about pardoning Ivanka, Eric and Orange Turd, Jr? And Ford pardoned Nixon without charges having been filed.

Unless whatever crime, charged or not had previously occurred. So, if I would have talked this through with myself, I would have provided the answer, which explains why I'm not an attorney.

Last edited:
Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
So why is he talking about pardoning Ivanka, Eric and Orange Turd, Jr? And Ford pardoned Nixon without charges having been filed.

Unless whatever crime, charged or not had previously occurred. So, if I would have talked this through with myself, I would have provided the answer, which explains why I'm not an attorney.

You got there!

Let’s face it, if the founding fathers were to predict a failed business man, C list celebrity who is out of his mind, were to become President some day and were to put in protections for that, they would have sounded crazier than OiT. But yes something should be done about the pardoning system IMO.

If someone explained Donald Trump to George Washington, he’d say “on second thought, let’s just pay the king our taxes.”

I think we agree that even if there is a process, it is clearly faulty. Even if it is not bullet proof, it would seem pretty doable to make it so either the Senate or the House has to ratify a POTUS pardon OR a POTUS pardon can be rescinded by a vote of some sort by either the House and/or the Senate.
Pardons have a valid reason behind them. Like many things our Founders did not anticipate a man so lacking in morality being president. And, if it happened they put in impeachment thinking good men would kick the rascal out.
I’d be for some form of review where the pardon goes through unless 2/3 of the Senate overrule it. Something that continues to give the president the chance to right a wrong, or to reward true contrition.

Reactions: Torg
The arrested rioters that are claiming they were invited by the President or just doing what the President asked, are in my opinion proving that he incited a riot. Does anyone else with actual legal knowledge think those kinds of statements implicate the President?

One might not, because you could argue in court that person was "just crazy" and "unbalanced".

When you have "dozens" it's a completely different story.

Anything anyone is pardoned for, may have a state-crime analogue.

If so, the act of accepting that pardon will implicate them for the state crime, or any associated crimes not covered by the pardons.

• Love
Reactions: Torg and GOHOX69
Also, pardons may not be any good for civil rights violations, so anyone admitting to a crime that would encompass those civil (or international) cases, would be handing an international prosecution a slam-dunk on the admission to violations of related US laws.

Pardons only work for US federal crimes.

He's gonna try to pardon himself.

No one else will write it up, so expect a very poorly written, poorly worded mash on nonsense that may not even hold legal standing.

• Haha
This presidential pardon crap is out of hand. Although Trump is not the first or the only one to do it, he may be setting new lows. We need to throttle this as citizens, there needs to be some sort of overview process.

considering the power to pardon is a part of the constitution, I would think you’d need an amendment to change it.

Prior to Trump, previous presidents have mostly abided by the established procedure on how to decide who gets pardoned.

also, can you imagine the political shitshow we’d have to endure every congress was asked to approve pardons, or attempted to overturn a pardon? We need to get away from politicizing the legal process and while I like the thought, your solution would only make it worse.

at best I think a solution would be to pass legislation that would require pardons to be pushed thru the previously established process before a president can make it official.

No one else will write it up, so expect a very poorly written, poorly worded mash on nonsense that may not even hold legal standing.

This would be a great exercise...write a pardon for Trump that he would write himself.

"I, Donald Trump...the great POTUS...hereby within pardon Donald J Trump for any false accusations of wrongdoing by any government or law enforcement arm for all actions that took place before January 20th, 2021.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Pardons have a valid reason behind them. Like many things our Founders did not anticipate a man so lacking in morality being president. And, if it happened they put in impeachment thinking good men would kick the rascal out.
I’d be for some form of review where the pardon goes through unless 2/3 of the Senate overrule it. Something that continues to give the president the chance to right a wrong, or to reward true contrition.

Bad POTUS pardons did not start with Trump. I don't see how the Founders could have anticipated someone like Trump, but they also didn't foresee other very unworthy people being let off and by others.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
This presidential pardon crap is out of hand. Although Trump is not the first or the only one to do it, he may be setting new lows. We need to throttle this as citizens, there needs to be some sort of overview process.
Let’s start with the damn turkeys!

Does anyone else besides me think Trump is going to sell a few pardons? If you look at some of the pardons he has already given I’d be shocked if he hasn’t sold a few. It would be so easy for him to sell a pardon. “Oh, you have a house in NJ? Bedminster is a wonderful golf course. The best. You should join. Everyone loves it”.

Rewrite the Constitution then. The problem is the problem child who has occupied the Presidency for the past 4 years. The man was unfit for the office. Ge has spent 4 years proving he was unfit for it. It is only consistent he exit showing America he never knew his ass from the Oval Office.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Does anyone else besides me think Trump is going to sell a few pardons?
Those would be illegitimate and overturned.

Again, just because the Constitution grants a power, doesn't mean it cannot be used illegally and improperly.

considering the power to pardon is a part of the constitution, I would think you’d need an amendment to change it.
Again, just because it is a power enumerated by the Constitution, doesn't mean it cannot be used "illegally".

The GOP hasn't had any problems with looking away from the Emoluments Clause over the past 4 years, and that's in the Consitution.

Again, just because it is a power enumerated by the Constitution, doesn't mean it cannot be used "illegally".

The GOP hasn't had any problems with looking away from the Emoluments Clause over the past 4 years, and that's in the Consitution.

my post was in response to another poster suggesting congress should have oversight of pardon power. Just saying I think an amendment would be required for that I would think.

giphy.gif

Those would be illegitimate and overturned.

Again, just because the Constitution grants a power, doesn't mean it cannot be used illegally and improperly.
Don’t read the NYTimes, then. You will get angry. And, how do you overturn a pardon granted by the POTUS? What is the mechanism to overturn an absolute power of the POTUS? How many years would a fight drag out?

Don’t read the NYTimes, then. You will get angry. And, how do you overturn a pardon granted by the POTUS? What is the mechanism to overturn an absolute power of the POTUS?

AGAIN....simply because the Constitution grants "a power" does NOT mean it can be used illegitimately.

Can Trump openly "sell" pardons, and expect them to stand up in court?

AGAIN....simply because the Constitution grants "a power" does NOT mean it can be used illegitimately.

Of course not, that involves another criminal act. But so long as there are no criminal acts involved, there are no limits on the pardon power. Again, likely that’s because the Founding Fathers ever imagined it would be abused like that.

We are going to find out that the answer is yes, yes he can.

• Wow
Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT