ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Underwood on Drew Thelwell: "Man, that kid’s really good." Fran: "The top 150 high school players, they all have agents."

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Good story from the Gazette.

Fran McCaffery is wading in rougher recruiting waters now, but could pull up a winter winner

Iowa had a streak of NCAA tournament appearances snapped last season, but McCaffery’s Hawkeyes could jump back in the Top 25 picture quicker than some may think

Mike Hlas
Mike Hlas
Jun. 23, 2024

IOWA CITY — The NCAA basketball transfer portal is closed until next spring and the early-entries for this week’s NBA draft are finalized.

The Iowa men’s basketball team knows what it has for next season, and it may be enough to return to its normal station. It was in Associated Press’ Top 25 during each of the previous five seasons, and finished three of them ranked.

This year, the 19-15 Hawkeyes were excluded from the NCAA tournament for the first time in the last five seasons in which one was staged. Seven of their 10 Big Ten home games had announced crowds of 10,000 or less.

As summer workouts have commenced, the men’s team may be getting ready for brighter lights this winter. It has a senior forward in Payton Sandfort, who already has earned all-Big Ten honors. It has a sophomore center in Owen Freeman, who had a terrific first year for a freshman big man. It has a junior guard in Josh Dix, who peeled off three straight games of 20-plus points late in the Big Ten season.

It has four sophomores who played a lot as freshmen, and incoming frosh forwards in Chris Tadjo and Cooper Koch, who come in with good buzz. It has transfers in point guard Drew Thelwell and forward Seydou Traore, who averaged 10 points at Division I programs last season.

“I think this is probably our deepest team maybe since the 2016 group,” Fran McCaffery said in an interview last week, five months from the start of his 15th season as Iowa’s head coach.

“I think we have a great deal of versatility with this team, multiple-position players, players that can play fast like we want to play. And I think we're probably bigger and stronger, potentially more physical, which should clearly help us at the defensive end of the floor.

“We feel really good about it. Really good.”

Thelwell will share time at point guard with soph Brock Harding. Thelwell averaged 6.2 assists in his fourth season at Morehead State, which won 26 games and trailed Illinois by just a point at halftime of their NCAA tournament game.

“I spoke to (Illinois Coach) Brad Underwood,” McCaffery said. “He said ‘Man, that kid’s really good.’

“Getting ready to play them in the NCAA tournament, Brad probably watched 10, 12 tapes, I’m guessing.

“Not only is Drew talented, he has leadership ability. He speaks up. He’s confident. He’s cerebral. You know, it’s hard to win 26 games anywhere. That was really impressive.”

So McCaffery has a roster he likes in a moment in time when assembling and maintaining college rosters is like herding cats. He had less than a month this spring to recruit and get to know Thelwell and Traore.

“We recruited Adam Woodbury for two years,” he said.

Though McCaffery hates to call it such, recruiting has become transactional. Agents had been taboo in college sports. Now, especially in basketball, coaches better be able to deal with them.

“There’s a lot of money involved here,” McCaffery said. “There’s enough money for an agent, if he has a substantial amount of clients, to make a living shopping guys on the NIL market.

“Now you have the top agencies — the ones who sign lottery picks, the ones who have Hall of Famers — they have an NIL faction of their business.

“Frankly, that isn’t a bad thing because these are the best organizations in that arena.

“But you have high school players now. I’m talking about sophomores, juniors, seniors. All the top ones have agents. You look at the top 150 players in the country that are in high school, they all have agents.”

Where does Iowa fit in this? It’s in the mighty Big Ten and is worlds away from the poor house. But it’s not a major player in NIL, and so far its fan base hasn’t shown a great inclination toward pumping major-player money into NIL.

“I remember you’re sitting down to have lunch with a prospect,” McCaffery said. “The bill comes. He got a sandwich. What do you do with the check? You split it. That’s what we did for years. And you know what? Some of our competition didn’t split the check.

“That might have put me at a disadvantage, but we had NCAA rules, we followed them. Now, who’s worried about a sandwich? There might be a seven-figure deal on the table.”

McCaffery just turned 65. He still recruits like crazy. He has always seemed to enjoy it, in fact.

“My life hasn’t changed since my first year in this business, which was 1983. I still do the same things. We have staff meetings, skill-development workouts. We have recruiting meetings, we make recruiting calls. We get in our car and drive or we get on a plane and fly.

“Last week all four of us (Iowa coaches) were at the NBPA Top 100 camp in Orlando. watching the top 100 players in the country. And we’re on the phone with them. Saturday afternoon (June 15) was the first day we could talk to sophomores. I was on the phone all day talking to sophomores.”

This weekend, McCafferyy was in Minnesota and Indiana to watch prep players he is recruiting.

McCaffery’s youngest son, Jack, is an Iowa City West senior-to-be who played at that Top 100 camp. He has said he won’t be playing at Iowa.

Oldest son Connor lives in Indianapolis where he works for the NBA’s Indiana Pacers. Middle son Patrick has transferred to Butler for his final season after being in his father’s program for five years. Daughter Marit is an Iowa student, a political science major on the UI’s president’s list (4.0 GPA) with hopes of going to law school.

When his nest is empty next year, will Fran McCaffery depart, too?

“It’s time for them to go on their journeys,” he said. “I’m locked in here with helping our program continuing to be successful in a completely changing environment.

“I feel really good. We’ve got practice today. I’m excited to get out on the practice floor. I love this team.”

Reactions: skydog0784 and Torg
I nice to see some positive off season talk from the HC. But, it's still just talk.

I think one thing is for sure - Iowa has a lot of guys with some talent and athleticism. I don't recall a time when the roster was this "full". I do like the sound of that.

This team should be able to score, as usual. If somehow, some way, they can improve on the defensive side and protect the rim, they might be pretty good.

Thelwell absolutely torched Illinois with 8 points on 3-8 shooting in a 16 point loss. He also destroyed Indiana with 9 points in a loss, burned Purdue with 8 (1 assist) in a blowout loss, and demolished Penn State with 7 in a blowout loss.

And he's not just a game changer on offense. In those 4 Big Ten games he averaged less than one steal per game!

Brad and the rest of the B1G are sweating and biting their fingernails.

I love how Hlas cites only the first half score against Illinois. lol Do you think they'll let us play only one half for a few B1G games this year? Because that might help.

Last edited:
Fran sounds as energetic and motivated as ever despite the difficult recruiting environment he is dealing with as NIL becomes the dominant factor for success in that arena.
We all know he tends to talk up his team(like most coaches this time of year) but his team's have a history of beating expectations.
As Hawks are projected at 17th in league I think they do it again.

Fran sounds as energetic and motivated as ever despite the difficult recruiting environment he is dealing with as NIL becomes the dominant factor for success in that arena.
We all know he tends to talk up his team(like most coaches this time of year) but his team's have a history of beating expectations.
As Hawks are projected at 17th in league I think they do it again.
Fran gives his players confidence which is half of winning. Without confidence, there is no chance in a successful season.

Thelwell absolutely torched Illinois with 8 points on 3-8 shooting in a 16 point loss. He also destroyed Indiana with 9 points in a loss, burned Purdue with 8 (1 assist) in a blowout loss, and demolished Penn State with 7 in a blowout loss.

And he's not just a game changer on offense. In those 4 Big Ten games he averaged less than one steal per game!

I love how Hlas cites only the first half score against Illinois. lol Do you think they'll let us play only one half for a few B1G games this year? Because that might help.
"really good" is a term that appears to be lost on you

Thelwell isn't the second coming of Alan Iverson, but he was the clear leader on a winning program. I suspect his team was pretty mismatched against B1G programs. We don't need Thelwell to score. We need him to be a leader on and off the floor, to play solid on-ball defense, and to facilitate the scorers Iowa has.

Thelwell isn't the second coming of Alan Iverson, but he was the clear leader on a winning program. I suspect his team was pretty mismatched against B1G programs. We don't need Thelwell to score. We need him to be a leader on and off the floor, to play solid on-ball defense, and to facilitate the scorers Iowa has.
Given the lack of NIL money, sure getting Thelwell was a must for depth. We didn't want to have Harding go down next season and be left with Dix or Payton Sandfort as our PGs. That sort of happened they year Maishe Dailey and Ellignson had to play major minutes as backup PG and they weren't very good at it.

The article quotes Underwood gushing about Thelwel and that is just coach speak. Coaches generally always suck up to each other. Underwood also wanted to be in a fox hole with Connor McCaffery. Underwood also said his Team was High character....so there is some tendency to exaggerate.

AmericaNeedsMe once again here to shit on an Iowa post. You must be one miserable POS.

Given the lack of NIL money, sure getting Thelwell was a must for depth. We didn't want to have Harding go down next season and be left with Dix or Payton Sandfort as our PGs. That sort of happened they year Maishe Dailey and Ellignson had to play major minutes as backup PG and they weren't very good at it.

The article quotes Underwood gushing about Thelwel and that is just coach speak. Coaches generally always suck up to each other. Underwood also wanted to be in a fox hole with Connor McCaffery. Underwood also said his Team was High character....so there is some tendency to exaggerate.
I think Thelwell will be a lot more than an insurance policy, and will get a similar number of minutes as Harding. I wish we had another guard as insurance against injury. I think we will be screwed if any of the 3 true guards are out.

I questioned Shannon's character after his incident and Underwood for his comment also.

To be fair Shannon was exonerated recently and I am not aware of any other issues on that Illini roster.
I think Underwood is a blunt guy who would not say this about a player if not true.
I know Underwood had an rogue asst that got in trouble at OK st but I have come to respect him as a coach and recruiter.

AmericaNeedsMe once again here to shit on an Iowa post. You must be one miserable POS.
lol

Nah...I'm doing pretty well actually.

Fan boi's like you are typically emotional types who have trouble with reality. I didn't "shit on" anything. I posted Thelwell's actual performance against actual Big Ten competition. You know....since that is the league he is now going to be competing in.

If something like that triggers you so badly, I would advise you to take it up with your therapist, rather than lashing out at other posters.

Maybe take a hint from posters like HoustonRED who, instead of attacking someone's emotional well-being, and attempting to dehumanize them by calling them a "piece of shit," articulated a well-informed, well-reasoned response to a post he disagreed with. It makes the board a more interesting place where people can safely consider other points of view and maybe learn something new.

Last edited:
I saw that Thelwell's defensive rating was pretty solid. And his assist-to-turnover ration led his league, I believe, and was also ranked pretty high nationally. Also looks like a solid rebounding guard. There are many more ways of impacting games than scoring. I think he was a very good pick-up for our Hawks.

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

It is amazing how some posters find negative in EVERYTHING
It is amazing how threatened some posters are by even a small dose of reality. lol

Let me ask you this: Brad Underwood -- the same guy you and Fran and Hlas are using to support your contention that Thelwell is a great pick up -- desperately needed guards for '24-'25. Desperately.

He struck out on lots of them, and eventually ended up signing Kylan Boswell from AZ, Kasparas Jakucionis from Lithuania, and Will Riley from Canada. Do you think he ever considered contacting Thelwell?

Me either. Why do you think that is?

Reportedly, Thelwell wanted to go to Miami.

Why do you think Miami ultimately went a different direction?

I know you probably won't answer. Lord knows your hands are full curating Caitlin Clark stories.

Last edited:
It's not the players
I don't think this is entirely true, unless you are saying that Fran has recruited players who are unable to defend and rebound. Which is certainly true. Last year's team was jus not physically gifted with the skills to rebound and defend. That's certainly on Fran for recruiting and playing them, but it is something he can and (I think) has changed this year. If you go back to some of the earlier teams, Fran had some decent defenders who had the physical ability and mental inclination to defend and rebound. Woodbury/Gessel and Clemmons being the best example. With this year's additions, I think we are physically and mentally in a MUCH better position to defend and rebound than last year.

It is amazing how threatened some posters are by even a small dose of reality. lol

Let me ask you this: Brad Underwood -- the same guy you and Fran and Hlas are using to support your contention that Thelwell is a great pick up -- desperately needed guards for '24-'25. Desperately.

He struck out on lots of them, and eventually ended up signing Kylan Boswell from AZ, Kasparas Jakucionis from Lithuania, and Will Riley from Canada. Do you think he ever considered contacting Thelwell?

I know you probably won't answer. Lord knows your hands are full curating Caitlin Clark stories.
Quite the asshole, aren't you?

lol

Fan boi's like you are typically emotional types who have trouble with reality. I didn't "shit on" anything. I posted Thelwell's actual performance against actual Big Ten competition. You know....since that is the league he is now going to be competing in.

If something like that triggers you so badly, I would advise you to take it up with your therapist, rather than lashing out at other posters.

Maybe take a hint from posters like HoustonRED who, instead of attacking someone's emotional well-being, and attempting to dehumanize them by calling them a "piece of shit," articulated a well-informed, well-reasoned response to a post he disagreed with. It makes the board a more interesting place where people can safely consider other points of view and maybe learn something new.

lol

I’m not a fan boy or whatever it is you called me. We get it. You don’t like Fran, but there’s not one damn thing you can do about it. Oh , that’s right, you can do what you do best and that’s complain. You are king of that.

I’m not a fan boy or whatever it is you called me. We get it. You don’t like Fran, but there’s not one damn thing you can do about it. Oh , that’s right, you can do what you do best and that’s complain. You are king of that.
I'm not complaining. I'm posting facts and questions. I also don't dislike Fran.

Most people can handle it just fine. However, a delicate minority are very threatened by anything that hints at critical analysis.

That's a you problem not a me problem.

Here. This might help you when you go out in the real world:

Lonely Conor Mckenna GIF by FoilArmsandHog

You're welcome.

Last edited:
I'm not complaining. I'm posting facts and questions. I also don't dislike Fran.

Most people can handle it just fine. However, a delicate minority are very threatened by anything that hints at critical analysis.

That's a you problem not a me problem.

Here. This might help you when you go out in the real world:

Lonely Conor Mckenna GIF by FoilArmsandHog

You're welcome.
When you post that Brad and the rest of the BIG are sweating and biting their fingernails, is that one of your “facts” that you constantly spew out? I thought so….

I'd say his results against Big10 teams was better than Harding's. But according to some Moline residents I'm a Harding hater... lol

Reactions: AmericaNeedsMe
I don't think this is entirely true, unless you are saying that Fran has recruited players who are unable to defend and rebound. Which is certainly true. Last year's team was jus not physically gifted with the skills to rebound and defend. That's certainly on Fran for recruiting and playing them, but it is something he can and (I think) has changed this year. If you go back to some of the earlier teams, Fran had some decent defenders who had the physical ability and mental inclination to defend and rebound. Woodbury/Gessel and Clemmons being the best example. With this year's additions, I think we are physically and mentally in a MUCH better position to defend and rebound than last year.
I agree with you on all these points. However, even lacking physical skills can be overcome by focus and effort. Krikke was capable, but lacked focus. PMac lacked both focus & effort IMO.

If I'm Fran, I'd incentivize the players by rewarding the leading rebounders, assists & least amount of turnovers. Not sure how, maybe one less wind sprint or create some pseudo award like football teams often do.... a big gold chain... hell IDK, but kick their buts into gear with some sort of motivation to rebound for sure.

I agree with you on all these points. However, even lacking physical skills can be overcome by focus and effort. Krikke was capable, but lacked focus. PMac lacked both focus & effort IMO.

If I'm Fran, I'd incentivize the players by rewarding the leading rebounders, assists & least amount of turnovers. Not sure how, maybe one less wind sprint or create some pseudo award like football teams often do.... a big gold chain... hell IDK, but kick their buts into gear with some sort of motivation to rebound for sure.

Does the rebound chain change hands after every rebound or does the leading rebounder keep it for the entire game? How would that work?

One would have to assum the “assist/TO WWE belt” is worn by the same player for the entire game.

I'd say his results against Big10 teams was better than Harding's. But according to some Moline residents I'm a Harding hater... lol
Let's wait to evaluate players with the same amount of minutes played before going off and saying one player is better then another, is that ok with you Luka.
In the games Thelwell played against Alabama and the 3 Big Ten games last year Thelwell averaged over 31 minutes a game compared to an average of 10 + for Harding.
Not a fair comparison in my book, but then that never stopped you from saying something without doing the homework. Did you not see the last Iowa game against Utah, probably not, the season for your type was long over because they didn't make the big dance.
Let me remind you that Harding played over 16 minutes against Utah and went 5 for 5 and 2 for 2 from three for 12 points. He works incredibly hard on his game and was much better as the season progressed.
Again lets see how the workouts and fall practices pans out, you may be right or Harding my come out as the starting point guard. None of us knows the results yet and no you just want to be a antagonist which in my book you're very good at.

Reactions: skydog0784
lol

I think it’s kind of disingenuous to simply post Thelwell’s stats last year when he didn’t play on a high-level team. Hopefully, his Iowa teammates will take sure of the pressure of him.

At the end of the day it's still Morehead State. If he was putting up 25 a game in the non-con against P6 competition he wouldn't have been at Morehead and he wouldn't currently be at Iowa.

Ageee, I always compare guys who supposedly can't play defense to Nicolas Baer.

A big part of playing defense is....trying to play defense.

Patrick was completely uninterested in anything to do with being physical and specialized in cherry picking. Krikkes main objective on defense was to avoid any sort of contact that might get called a foul so that he could stay in and get shots up.

Let's wait to evaluate players with the same amount of minutes played before going off and saying one player is better then another, is that ok with you Luka.
In the games Thelwell played against Alabama and the 3 Big Ten games last year Thelwell averaged over 31 minutes a game compared to an average of 10 + for Harding.
Not a fair comparison in my book, but then that never stopped you from saying something without doing the homework. Did you not see the last Iowa game against Utah, probably not, the season for your type was long over because they didn't make the big dance.
Let me remind you that Harding played over 16 minutes against Utah and went 5 for 5 and 2 for 2 from three for 12 points. He works incredibly hard on his game and was much better as the season progressed.
Again lets see how the workouts and fall practices pans out, you may be right or Harding my come out as the starting point guard. None of us knows the results yet and no you just want to be a antagonist which in my book you're very good at.
Thank you for the compliment. I only wish to antagonize you & only due to your over enthusiasm for BH. I really hope he breaks out this year as I'm a die hard Hawk (realistic) fan. I watched every bit of the Utah game & it was an embarrassing effort by Fran's squad. How was BH's defense against Utah?

I think it’s kind of disingenuous to simply post Thelwell’s stats last year when he didn’t play on a high-level team. Hopefully, his Iowa teammates will take sure of the pressure of him.
Moorhead State won 26 games and made the NCAA tournament. That's a higher level than Iowa last year.

His strength is in distributing. He'll have plenty of scorers to feed here.

When you post that Brad and the rest of the BIG are sweating and biting their fingernails, is that one of your “facts” that you constantly spew out? I thought so….
That was levity. Otherwise known as humor.

I wouldn't expect someone like you to know much about such things.

You Are The Best Dancing GIF

Thank you for the compliment. I only wish to antagonize you & only due to your over enthusiasm for BH. I really hope he breaks out this year as I'm a die hard Hawk (realistic) fan. I watched every bit of the Utah game & it was an embarrassing effort by Fran's squad. How was BH's defense against Utah?
The damage that accrued allowing Utah to gain the advantage was on Perkin's watch, not with Harding in the game. Iowa actually clawed back into the game before halftime with Harding in the game.
There's more to being a good offensive and defensive player then height, but that's all you and others can think about, it will change come this fall as you will see Harding is the real deal. As I've said before, any player that comes to Iowa is not devoid of some faults and pointing out Harding is only 6 foot tall can be an advantage and he will use it to his advantage too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT