ADVERTISEMENT

Bradley Hill (Bettendorf HS ‘22/Iowa Recruit) PinDox Write-Up

PinDoxRico

HR All-State
Jan 1, 2020
Mepo
thepindoctors.com
I have written and published a lot of these on current and sometimes former Hawkeyes. I don’t know why I haven’t posted any of them on here in a while… for current guys, I’ve published articles for Joel Jesuroga, Cobe Siebrecht, Nelson Brands, Joe Kelly, Kolby Franklin, Mickey Griffith, Drew Bennett, Drake Ayala, Cullan Schriever, Aiden Riggins, Easton Fleshman, Caleb Rathjen, etc… have posted a ton of them… if I get time, maybe I can post them on here… they are all located on the pin doctors Facebook page if you want to read them now… Facebook.com/thepindoctors

This one is on Bradley Hill.. let me know if any others you’d like me to dig up…

294890963_771623994290368_817242022629262841_n.jpg

Bradley Hill; Bettendorf HS/Iowa Hawkeyes/Sebolt Wrestling Academy

Brad Hill is a product of Bettendorf HS wrestling as well as Sebolt Wrestling Academy. Since the 2022 Iowa HS State Wrestling Tournament concluded, Brad has been a guy that I have been so close to writing one of these articles on and have wanted to, since he is a future teammate of my little brother Brennan’s at Iowa. Also, his father, Rob Hill runs a wrestling media outlet/platform called QCA Wrestle, which covers the wrestling scene in the Quad Cities area, and he has always been super cool to me. If it is one group of people in life that seems to have a collective disgust for me, it’s other wrestling media people, for whatever reason. Rob is one of the very few other wrestling media people who has always been very nice to that spazzy ‘ol Pin Doctor. When I talk to most other wrestling media, they generally scowl at me as if they are smug figure skaters and I’m some sort of 1 legged mut-dog, who intruded on their figure skating practice and struggled for hours to bury a bone in the middle of the ice rink they skate on. With that said, I’ve wanted to put something together for Rob’s son for a while now. As mentioned though, I couldn’t bring myself to do it until now. Thing is, Bradley’s last ever HS wrestling match as a Senior in 2022 took place right in front of me…and it happened to be one of the 2 total losses he took in his entire 2nd half of his HS career… It was in the state finals against a great wrestler from Waverly-Shell Rock named McCrae Hagarty. Hill dropped a 5-2 decision against Hagarty to take 2nd at state as a Senior, solidifying his HS resume as a 4X state qualifier/3X Placer/2X Finalist/1X State Champion. Bradley went DNP-6-1-2 at state in HS. As a Junior, he was an undefeated state champion at 3A 220. As a Senior, he took a loss to an out of state kid during the regular season and when he faced Hagarty in the 3A 195 lb finals, it was a very anticipated matchup between two returning state champions. While Bradley was the returning 3A 220 State Champion, Hagarty was the returning 3A 182 state champion. At the end of the match, I don’t know what it was… Bradley took his loss like a man and didn’t pout or throw a fit or any of that jazz. In fact, he was acting real cool and social to everyone, including Hagarty when they were waiting to receive their awards. A very classy kid. However, he just had this vibe about him that prompted me to hold up a bit on writing one of these articles on him… I’ll reiterate, he was 100% classy after suffering a rare loss on one of the biggest and most stressful stages, but he just had this look in his eye that gave me the impression of….”I feel sorry for whoever tries to get in that dude’s way in the near future.” Some very detectable vibes of unfinished business going on with him, so I held off on writing an article about him… And I am glad I did, for this kid recently finished a Freestyle campaign in which he just bulldozed the competition at 3 rather prestigious events.

Let’s go back a bit.

Brad has been a good wrestler for a long time now. He competed at the AAU State Tournament several times and generally placed between 2nd-4th most years. His youth career reminds me a lot of the youth career of my youngest brother and Brad’s future teammate, Brennan’s. Here is why.. For a 10-year stretch, there were 3 Folkstyle Youth State tournaments in Iowa…AAU, USA and Grade School State (GSS). The biggest one is AAU… That one has been the biggest youth state wrestling tournament in Iowa since 1991. The smallest one is generally the USA State Folkstyle Tournament. A lot of people avoid that one because the divisions are separated by “year of birth.” The 2nd biggest youth state tourney in Iowa for at least a 10 year stretch prior to the passing of its founder, Brian Keck, was the Grade School State Tournament aka GSS. It’s a “grade-based” tournament with no district qualifier to compete in it. And because of that, it wasn’t uncommon to see brackets with up to 50-60 guys in it when GSS was at it’s peak. Anyways, my brother Brennan placed in the 2-4 range at AAU State every single year. He never won AAU and was always CLOSE, but he DID win 4 GSS State Championships, which was odd because it seemed like he had the same guys in his bracket at both AAU and GSS each of those years… he just wrestled better at GSS for whatever reason. Bradley Hill was apparently the same way. While he generally placed in the top 2-4 at AAU State, he won GSS State at least 3, maybe 4 times. I thought that was interesting.

Bradley first caught my radar when I was doing 3A rankings for The Predicament in 2019. Bradley was a Freshman at 3A 152 that year… a tough weight for a Freshman to be at considering the potential physical differences between them and the upperclassmen. He caught my radar when he had a close match with a kid who I have a high opinion of named Jake Matthaidess of North Scott. Matthaidess was a TOUGH upperclassman at the time and a “legend-killer” of sorts…he pulled off several “upsets” when he was a Freshman and Sophomore in HS and could seemingly go with anyone when he was “on.” Matthaidess and Hill met 3 times that season with Matthaidess winning all of them, 2 by decision and 1 by fall. The match that caught my eye was their first one… Matthaidess beat Bradley by the close score of 6-4. It kind of floored me at the time that a Freshman 152 lber could wrestle such a close match with an athletic freak like Matthaidess. The collision course those two had with each other would go on for just a couple-few weeks towards the end of the season, and those two ended up being the 2 guys from their district to qualify for the state tournament at 3A 152 that year. Matthaidess won the bracket at districts and went on to place 3rd at state. Bradley Hill would finish runner-up at districts and would go 0-2 at state that year, but the fact that he even qualified that year was impressive, for he had to beat a returning state qualifier and Senior from Clinton named Kyle Guilliams just to secure 2nd place at districts. And he didn’t just beat him… he pinned him in the 2nd period. Impressive feat for a Freshman at that weight against a returning state qualifier Senior. Bradley finished his Freshman season as a state qualifier with a 28-14 record. He would finish 2nd at Freestyle State and 1st at Greco State later that year.

CONT, PART 2:

As a Sophomore, Bradley shot-up to 170 lbs and had a good season for the most part, but it was riddled with inconsistency at times. He made the podium for the first time of his HS career, placing 6th at 3A 170… The main thing that sticks out to me about that season, though is that it seemed like there were several guys that he would exchange wins with. I can think of 4 just off the top of my head. Tim Nimley of Muscatine, Logan Neils of Ankeny Centennial, Zach Campbell of North Scott and McCrae Hagarty of Waverly-Shell Rock. All of those guys were at least placers.. and all of them had at least one or more wins over Brad as well as one or more losses to Brad. Brad finished with a record of 34-10 that year and I want to say that Campbell and Nimley alone accounted for at least 6-7 of those losses. It had to have been a frustrating year for him at times, but it was a season that didn’t lack really cool moments either. His 12-4 win over highly ranked Logan Neil of Ankeny Centennial to make the semifinals that year was nothing short of amazing. HUGE win that showed what he is capable of. Neils was a great wrestler who gave even the most polished guys fits.

2020 3A-170
1st Place - Mickey Griffith of Des Moines - Lincoln
2nd Place - Ryan Plummer of Linn-Mar - Marion
3rd Place - Ashton Barker of IC West
4th Place - McCrae Hagarty of Waverly-Shell Rock
5th Place - Tim Nimely of Muscatine
6th Place - Bradley Hill of Bettendorf
7th Place - Zachary Campbell of North Scott - Eldridge
8th Place - Deveyon Montgomery of Southeast Polk

As a Junior in 2021, Bradley brought his game to totally different and much more advanced level. He also brought his weight up a few levels from 170 the year before to 220. Bradley finished that year as an undefeated state champion at 3A 220. Further yet, he pinned most everyone he wrestled. He finished 28-0 and I want to say that he pinned or teched all, but 5 opponents on the season. He pinned, teched or majored all, but 3 opponents on the season. Incredibly impressive. At this point, Bradley Hill had separated himself as one of the guys in his class that every college recruiter in the area who does their job well should make it a priority to pay attention to. Along with the state championship, Bradley also won the MAC Conference, Bettendorf Shoot-out, Ed Winger, Red Owens and District Tournaments. He won each of those tough tournaments the following year in 2021-22 as a Senior as well. Bradley dropped down a weight from 220 to 195 his Senior season and as chronicled at the begin ing of this article, he finished 2nd at 3A 195 to McCrae Hagarty, dropping a 5-2 match in the finals.

2021 3A 220
3A-220
1st Place - Bradley Hill of Bettendorf
2nd Place - Luke Walker of Waverly-Shell Rock
3rd Place - Kalob Runyon of Southeast Polk
4th Place - Colton Hoag of LeMars
5th Place - Luke Gaffney of Linn-Mar
6th Place - Carson Williams of Marshalltown
7th Place - Cael Knox of Cedar Rapids Kennedy
8th Place - Jaylin Smith of Indianola

2022 3A-195
1st Place - McCrae Hagarty of Waverly-Shell Rock
2nd Place - Bradley Hill of Bettendorf
3rd Place - Andrew Reed of Southeast Polk
4th Place - AJ Petersen of North Scott
5th Place - Walker Whalen of Indianola
6th Place - Tanner Spyksma of Waukee Northwest
7th Place - Jackson Brinker of Johnston
8th Place - Colin Flannagan of Cedar Rapids Kennedy

Bradley had put together a fantastic HS career, but the bitter taste that was presumably left in his mouth after not closing out his HS career on top of the podium seemed bother the heck out of him… And he seemed to take his frustration out on his opponents, for he put together an absolutely PHENOMENAL Freestyle campaign. Bradley won the Iowa Junior Freestyle State Title at 220 by teching out everyone he wrestled against. A couple weeks later, he won the Northern Plains Regional Freestyle Tournament at 220…and teched everyone he faced in doing so, again. That is an unbelievably TOUGH tournament and it always has been… To be able to tech your way through any bracket there is impressive as hell to me.

And here is the cherry on top… This past week, Brad Hill won the Fargo Junior National Freestyle Title at 220 lbs! His efforts helped Iowa dominate their way to a team championship! But that’s not all… Brad had to win 7 matches to win this championship. And in those 7 matches, when faced against the NATION’S top talent, Brad teched his first 6 guys out to reach the finals where he faced future Hawkeye teammate and blue-chip recruit, Kolby Franklin in the finals, in which Brad scored a 10-7 decision to secure the Junior 220 lb Freestyle championship. He outscored his opponents at the tournament by a combined score of 79-14! Here were the scores of his matches, from his first one to his finals match:

12-0, 13-3, 10-0, 14-4, 10-0, 10-0, 10-7

Straight-up incredible! I am happy to see that his HS career didn’t get stuck in a funk after falling short at state this year. You can tell a lot about an athlete by how they respond to situations like that. I’ve seen cases where one loss in a high-stakes match was enough to mentally damage a guy for the rest of their careers. They never recovered from it.. have seen that multiple times. Brad took the opposite approach to that. You either get bitter or you get better. Brad Hill gets better. And I can’t wait to see him continue doing so for the Iowa Hawkeyes! I’m not sure that Hawkeye Nation realized how good of a recruit they landed with him prior to this past week in Fargo… most should know now!

And another reminder that Brad’s dad, Rob Hill runs a wrestling media outlet called QCAWrestle… They do a great job with that and produce content that is unique to only them… there are some cool things they do that I hadn’t ever seen before anywhere until watching it on their site. You can find them by searching for “QCAWrestle” on Facebook and liking their Facebook page. You can also follow them on Twitter… their handle is @QCAwrestle And also, you can read their content by going to their site directly. Their site is qcawrestle.com .. Check it out!

CONT, PART 2:

As a Sophomore, Bradley shot-up to 170 lbs and had a good season for the most part, but it was riddled with inconsistency at times. He made the podium for the first time of his HS career, placing 6th at 3A 170… The main thing that sticks out to me about that season, though is that it seemed like there were several guys that he would exchange wins with. I can think of 4 just off the top of my head. Tim Nimley of Muscatine, Logan Neils of Ankeny Centennial, Zach Campbell of North Scott and McCrae Hagarty of Waverly-Shell Rock. All of those guys were at least placers.. and all of them had at least one or more wins over Brad as well as one or more losses to Brad. Brad finished with a record of 34-10 that year and I want to say that Campbell and Nimley alone accounted for at least 6-7 of those losses. It had to have been a frustrating year for him at times, but it was a season that didn’t lack really cool moments either. His 12-4 win over highly ranked Logan Neil of Ankeny Centennial to make the semifinals that year was nothing short of amazing. HUGE win that showed what he is capable of. Neils was a great wrestler who gave even the most polished guys fits.

2020 3A-170

As a Junior in 2021, Bradley brought his game to totally different and much more advanced level. He also brought his weight up a few levels from 170 the year before to 220. Bradley finished that year as an undefeated state champion at 3A 220. Further yet, he pinned most everyone he wrestled. He finished 28-0 and I want to say that he pinned or teched all, but 5 opponents on the season. He pinned, teched or majored all, but 3 opponents on the season. Incredibly impressive. At this point, Bradley Hill had separated himself as one of the guys in his class that every college recruiter in the area who does their job well should make it a priority to pay attention to. Along with the state championship, Bradley also won the MAC Conference, Bettendorf Shoot-out, Ed Winger, Red Owens and District Tournaments. He won each of those tough tournaments the following year in 2021-22 as a Senior as well. Bradley dropped down a weight from 220 to 195 his Senior season and as chronicled at the begin ing of this article, he finished 2nd at 3A 195 to McCrae Hagarty, dropping a 5-2 match in the finals.

2021 3A 220
3A-220

2022 3A-195

Bradley had put together a fantastic HS career, but the bitter taste that was presumably left in his mouth after not closing out his HS career on top of the podium seemed bother the heck out of him… And he seemed to take his frustration out on his opponents, for he put together an absolutely PHENOMENAL Freestyle campaign. Bradley won the Iowa Junior Freestyle State Title at 220 by teching out everyone he wrestled against. A couple weeks later, he won the Northern Plains Regional Freestyle Tournament at 220…and teched everyone he faced in doing so, again. That is an unbelievably TOUGH tournament and it always has been… To be able to tech your way through any bracket there is impressive as hell to me.

And here is the cherry on top… This past week, Brad Hill won the Fargo Junior National Freestyle Title at 220 lbs! His efforts helped Iowa dominate their way to a team championship! But that’s not all… Brad had to win 7 matches to win this championship. And in those 7 matches, when faced against the NATION’S top talent, Brad teched his first 6 guys out to reach the finals where he faced future Hawkeye teammate and blue-chip recruit, Kolby Franklin in the finals, in which Brad scored a 10-7 decision to secure the Junior 220 lb Freestyle championship. He outscored his opponents at the tournament by a combined score of 79-14! Here were the scores of his matches, from his first one to his finals match:

Straight-up incredible! I am happy to see that his HS career didn’t get stuck in a funk after falling short at state this year. You can tell a lot about an athlete by how they respond to situations like that. I’ve seen cases where one loss in a high-stakes match was enough to mentally damage a guy for the rest of their careers. They never recovered from it.. have seen that multiple times. Brad took the opposite approach to that. You either get bitter or you get better. Brad Hill gets better. And I can’t wait to see him continue doing so for the Iowa Hawkeyes! I’m not sure that Hawkeye Nation realized how good of a recruit they landed with him prior to this past week in Fargo… most should know now!

And another reminder that Brad’s dad, Rob Hill runs a wrestling media outlet called QCAWrestle… They do a great job with that and produce content that is unique to only them… there are some cool things they do that I hadn’t ever seen before anywhere until watching it on their site. You can find them by searching for “QCAWrestle” on Facebook and liking their Facebook page. You can also follow them on Twitter… their handle is @QCAwrestle And also, you can read their content by going to their site directly. Their site is qcawrestle.com .. Check it out!

220 was the best weight for his body this past season but with a top guy in the country Kueter there he has to suck down a lot of weight and take a shot at 195. He definitely didn't have the energy level at 195 that he had at 220.

Great article, I’ve been following you for a few years now and think your writing has improved significantly over the years. Stick with it, you’re doing a great job.

I love your passion and kudos to Hill for winning Fargo but there’s 0% chance I’m reading all that. I’m just going to claim I have better stuff to do even though I really don’t.

Can you do a retro Brody Grotius piece? I can promise lots of views.
Absolutely!!!

That’s a good suggestion actually… haven’t done one on an Assumption guy for way too long… and considering the fact that I was an outspoken hater of Assumption back then since them and Mepo butted heads so hard for a while there, I think it’s fair to assume that some fans from there would be quick to snap at me for not ever showing them any love… in retrospect I thought those Assumption teams were brilliant… and that Pete Bush is a great… but back then, oh man did I hate them. The only team that stood in the way of Mepo being 4-5 time team champs in the 2010’s opposed to 1.

what was the ongoing thing in the thread on this board? It’s been years since I’ve seen it…?

CONT, PART 2:

2020 3A-170

2021 3A 220
3A-220

2022 3A-195

Once again, great piece! Do you have any thoughts as to whether Hill will wrestle 197 or 285 in college? It’s a shame there isn’t a 220 lb / 97 kg weight as it would be a natural weight for many wrestlers.

Absolutely!!!

That’s a good suggestion actually… haven’t done one on an Assumption guy for way too long… and considering the fact that I was an outspoken hater of Assumption back then since them and Mepo butted heads so hard for a while there, I think it’s fair to assume that some fans from there would be quick to snap at me for not ever showing them any love… in retrospect I thought those Assumption teams were brilliant… and that Pete Bush is a great… but back then, oh man did I hate them. The only team that stood in the way of Mepo being 4-5 time team champs in the 2010’s opposed to 1.

what was the ongoing thing in the thread on this board? It’s been years since I’ve seen it…?
If you’re referencing Brody’s “ongoing thing” on this site it’s his weight changes. For example, im hearing Brody’s been hitting the weights hard and plans to go 157 this year.

He was the guy we constantly believed would save a struggling weight and then go dominate the rest of the country.

There’s a thread on here that will do down in infamy for its length and absurdity. I believe it’s the thread where the “cesspool” came into its own. I don’t have the wherewithal to post s link to that thread, but it would be worth reading if someone did. Good stuff in there haha.

If you’re referencing Brody’s “ongoing thing” on this site it’s his weight changes. For example, im hearing Brody’s been hitting the weights hard and plans to go 157 this year.

He was the guy we constantly believed would save a struggling weight and then go dominate the rest of the country.

There’s a thread on here that will do down in infamy for its length and absurdity. I believe it’s the thread where the “cesspool” came into its own. I don’t have the wherewithal to post s link to that thread, but it would be worth reading if someone did. Good stuff in there haha.
I think it’s in the legendary threads forum…., no way in HELL I’m reading that again

• Haha
Reactions: HawkFan1986
The kid looks like he has a good frame…. Maybe he should train with the football team and add 30 pounds…… have we ever discussed whether there should be a 220 class in college? 🤔

He's class of '23 but he's not committed anywhere as of right now.
He's good, a bull to be sure but has taken some losses vs out of state kids. I was a bit disappointed in his Fargo tournament this summer. IMO right now his level is a bit below Franklin or Voelker as a recruit. He seems to wrestle a little stiff, getting caught flat footed at times in his losses and I've seen some gas tank issues at times.

Reactions: millhawk
ADVERTISEMENT