ADVERTISEMENT

Brady Hoke says he wouldn't have punted

He most definitely would NOT have punted because he is NOT the coach there. He may have forgotten he was fired.

I want to know what he would have done. Go for it on 4th and 3? Try to run around and heave one to kill the clock?
There were only 10 seconds left, so you could maybe kill the clock, but its no guarantee.

If you successfully punt the ball, I think the game is over.
If you go for it and fail, MSU probably gets 1 play from the 38, which leaves a 55 yard FG to win or a hail mary to win.

I think I don't fault Harbaugh because either choice should win the game 99% of the time.

I want to know what he would have done. Go for it on 4th and 3? Try to run around and heave one to kill the clock?
There were only 10 seconds left, so you could maybe kill the clock, but its no guarantee.

If you go for it and fail, MSU probably gets 1 play from the 38, which leaves a 55 yard FG to win or a hail mary to win.

I think I don't fault Harbaugh because either choice should win the game 99% of the time.

I could be completely wrong, but I thought Michigan was much closer to mid-field than the 38 (the LOS, not where the punter was set up).

In any case as others have said, it's easy in hindsight.

Reactions: HawkeyeDenny
I think I don't fault Harbaugh
I fault Harbaugh. Or at least the ST coach. MSU had no returner-all 11 guys rushing for a block. Michigan had two gunners split wide. Why? To tackle air? To down the ball real quick? Then, right after the ball is snapped, three of the lineman rush downfield. Again, why? Plus the snapper has his head down and is a sitting duck on these plays anyway.

Your only objective in that situation is to get the punt away. There's no reason to line up in anything except a max protect. Maybe they thought the gunners could pull some men off the line and draw attention, but they should have tucked in when it didn't work. Michigan handed MSU a huge numbers advantage, it's no surprise at all they got to him. That the punter didn't immediately fall on it is a panic move and understandable.

On top of that, I don't think Harbaugh did enough to defend his player. I will give him credit for seeking out MSU to congratulate them, despite d'Antonio refusing to shake his hand after the game (by the way-I like MSU but that punk attitude is unacceptable).

Oh, and that play should have never happened anyway. If they manage the clock correctly, there aren't ten seconds left. So, yes, plenty of blame for the Michigan coaches for this one.

The ball was on the other side of the 50, 47-48. QB sneak and then give them the ball back. No chance at a FG. Where you get the 38 I don't know. Hail Mary pass is the only option.

Everyone got the "38" from the return yardage after the blocked punt. As you explained, the LOS was not the 38, but that is where the official score book recorded the blocked punt recovery.

Everyone got the "38" from the return yardage after the blocked punt. As you explained, the LOS was not the 38, but that is where the official score book recorded the blocked punt recovery.
Yep, just checked and it shows they ran the last play from the MSU 47 yard line.

The final play was from the MSU 47 yard line. My wife and I were saying "don't punt" before the punt, too many crazy things happen on special teams plays. I would have just run an offensive play, trying to convert. Some people say hail mary or something to burn time, but I think weird things can happen when you run weird plays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT