Brandon Sorensen GoFundMe - SorensenStrong

Discussion in 'Iowa Wrestling' started by Todd Conner, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Todd Conner

Todd Conner HR MVP
    Expand Collapse

andegre, MitchLL, #10Hawk and 5 others like this.
  2. Grip220

Grip220 HR MVP
    Expand Collapse

Come on guys lets support Brandon and his family with this Gofundme. It was easy to do and I heard its safe. They ask for a tip I added the minimum 10% the rest goes to Brandon’s Mom

3. artradley

artradley HR Legend
    Expand Collapse

Mods

Can we sticky this at the top?

andegre and SansSouci like this.
  4. wasdt21

wasdt21 HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

seen alot of familiar names nice job guys

andegre, butchinmi and crazyazn like this.
  5. SansSouci

SansSouci HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

We need to keep donating, but I guarantee he will be taking care of financially. I don’t want that to slow down the donations, but keep them going and even give more if you can. There is no way
    Hawkeye fans don’t take care of him and his family. Keep it coming.

HIWILLE likes this.
  6. Chuck C

Chuck C HR Heisman
    Expand Collapse

Looks like they’ll have to raise their goal. It was reached in just a little over 4 hours.

7. Menace Sockeyes

Menace Sockeyes HR Legend
    Expand Collapse

Great idea, and thanks for posting. However, I yearn for the day a guy can get his damn cancer treated without having to resort to GoFundMe’s to prevent a bankruptcy. :mad:

8. SASHmoney

SASHmoney All-Conference
    Expand Collapse

I’m not very political but it’s the one issue (universal coverage) I wish we could come together and get done. Lets go Brandon! Great job wrestling community!

9. Nashville_Hawkeye

Expand Collapse

Love to see that! It looked like at least 7 people donated in the short time it took me to get my card out of my wallet and type in the numbers. It's moments like this that demonstrate why our fan base is the best in the country.

crazyazn, FarvaHawk14 and SASHmoney like this.
  10. buschlatte

Expand Collapse

Health insurance?

vhsalum likes this.
  11. Menace Sockeyes

Menace Sockeyes HR Legend
    Expand Collapse

Would be awesome if it prevented the need for things like GoFundMe. Unfortunately, look where we are.

rainydayhawk likes this.
  12. Knight563

Knight563 HR MVP
    Expand Collapse

$48k in 6 hours. Absolutely incredible. Well done wrestling community.

13. Knight563

Knight563 HR MVP
    Expand Collapse

14. Infantry1

Expand Collapse

Never participated in a Go fund me before, took me all of 2 minutes to whip out the card and make it happen ! Lost my Dad 2 years ago to leukemia. Go Hawks and God speed Brandon.

15. PellaHawkeye

PellaHawkeye HR All-State
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Over $50K now and growing thanks to social media. Take a look at the names of the donors and you’ll see what the Hawkeye family and overall wrestling community is all about.

andegre, butchinmi and ih8iast8 like this.
  16. Gobblin

Gobblin HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

Nearly 60k now... Absolutely incredible how awesome the wrestling community is.

andegre, Rustys Dad, crazyazn and 3 others like this.
  17. Ihawkd9times

Ihawkd9times HR Heisman
    Expand Collapse

If you read the story on the go fund me page its says Brandon only has Insurance for 9 more months but will need chemo for 1.5 years.

I am guessing he is on his parents and is going to be kicked off at 25. Its going to get expensive after that and who knows who would insure him with that pre existing condition and if so how much that would cost a month?

I donated what I could now and all of us need to remember to do what we can each month down the road.

moug, andegre and edohawk like this.
  18. WWDMHawkeye

WWDMHawkeye HR Heisman
    Expand Collapse

19. Old_wrestling_fan

Old_wrestling_fan HR Heisman
    Expand Collapse

I think the response so far is tremendous, but a couple of things are curious to me about this. 1. All children can remain on their parents health insurance until they turn 26, so the whole year that they are 25, they retain eligibility. I am not sure how old he is, but I suspect he is 1-2 years away from 26 at this time FWIW.

2. Health care coverage cannot be denied due to a pre-existing condition. It is likely that he will have to pay health insurance premiums and the corresponding deductibles, etc, once he hits age 26, and those will not be cheap, but he should not have gigantic uncovered health expenses.

I wish him the very best in this fight, cancer sucks!

evashevsky58 and buschlatte like this.
  20. pablow

pablow HR Legend
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Under the ACA, Brandon cannot be denied medical insurance for his pre-existing condition (cancer). Hopefully he can use some of the gofundme money to purchase a good policy.

21. Spaceman Spifff

Spaceman Spifff Team MVP
    Expand Collapse

The Go Fund Me page says he will lose his health insurance in 9 months. I assume that is when he is removed from his parent's plan when he turns 26 (he'll be 26 next August). The Go Fund Me says it's for out of pocket costs that are not covered by insurance, and for COBRA premiums, which would presumably be paid when he ages off his parent's insurance plan.

I would guess people giving above the $30K request are doing so to cover lost earnings power and to try to give the Sorensen's more peace of mind, and show them appreciation.

21 Spaceman Spifff, Dec 4, 2019 at 2:20 PM
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 2:54 PM
  22. WWDMHawkeye

WWDMHawkeye HR Heisman
    Expand Collapse

It's a reasonable question. I can understand folks wondering about the logic behind a fundraising campaign like this. Presumably, his ability to earn an income will be limited at least for the short term. The HWC is a stand-up organization and may continue his current compensation, but it's far from a lucrative income, of course.

Beyond the opportunity cost in the form of potentially lost income, these funds could take care of daily living expenses and afford him a certain amount of peace of mind, knowing that he isn't financially strapped in addition to having to deal with the stresses and rigors of 1.5 years of pretty brutal treatment for a potentially fatal disease. Considering that Brandon is a model citizen and a tremendous representative of Iowa wrestling, the HWC, our university, and our state, I think he's earned every bit of this support. Furthermore, it's a beautiful thing to see a community rally around one of its own like this; I think that's plenty justification for the Go Fund Me page all by itself.

23. Old_wrestling_fan

Expand Collapse

That makes sense, I had read a few comments that seemed to indicate that he could not get HC insurance, at some point in the future, due to a pre-existing condition, etc, OR that he didn't have HC insurance now, which is doubtful given his age.

That doesn't mean though that there aren't other significant financial considerations, including the potential to not be able to earn income while in treatment, etc. It's good to see such generosity on his behalf.

24. Old_wrestling_fan

Expand Collapse

For the record, I am not questioning the validity of the GoFundMe, I was only trying to clarify some apparent misunderstandings regarding the HC insurance coverage aspect of the whole situation.

25. mikeylew1992

Expand Collapse

Not an Iowa guy, my brother wrestled at RU if you can't tell by the Lew... Donated, met Brandon and his family at an event in Iowa I believe it was Cedar Rapids we went out to (forgot the name of the event)... Anyway, wishing him all the best, great kid and it was a pleasure to meet him in person.

The wrestling community is behind Brandon

25 mikeylew1992, Dec 4, 2019 at 3:24 PM
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 3:31 PM
  26. SansSouci

SansSouci HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

Is that correct? Maybe government workers have that, but us regular people that work in the real world have that too? Didn’t know that.

27. WWDMHawkeye

WWDMHawkeye HR Heisman
    Expand Collapse

$78,339. Does it break $100,000 by tomorrow? Should be close.

There's a possible plan to sell t-shirts for one of the big home meets with all proceeds going to Brandon. Being kicked around. Could be a really cool deal if it happens.

Weasel-Power and Kwoodhawk like this.
  28. MilleGinja

MilleGinja All-Conference
    Expand Collapse

Something like a third of Go Fund Me pages are for healthcare costs.

29. Old_wrestling_fan

Expand Collapse

Absolutely true, both of these items were part of the implementation of Obamacare about 8 or 9 years ago. They are federal law at this point.

SansSouci likes this.
  30. 255

255 HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

This is true however they can jack the premium VERY high. 2 months before he turned 18, my agent told me to get a small whole life policy in his name so he won’t be denied and existing life insurance meditates a premium jack. Can’t be denied but it can go prohibitive. If he parents bought a separate policy (not a rider) it will be as ok as it can be.

the cost of treatment for ALL can reach over $500k. Most of which is in the beginning of treatment. (High level drugs, test and so on). Called induction depending on the plan. If they add radiation it spikes the cost. If on his parents insurance, most will be covered but there are premium things not covered that really help.
    There are many agencies and cancer support groups that can help. Even with their help and great insurance, I was about $25k/$30k out of pocket over 30 months. Worth it but there it is. In my sons case, he qualifies for survivor support for college so, in a sense, that comes back.
    End of the day, the more money the family can raise, the less burden on the support agencies to help. Which means, other and less able families get the support.
    From what little I know about the Sorensen family, any excess will go to a great place.
    I don’t believe AT ALL that anyone is questioning the honor of the family or validity of the the fund. I just wanted to give a perspective of experience.
    What I will say is that while it nearly broke my financial state, he lived and I would live in a box that he is alive.
    The next 6 weeks will be very hard on BS and his family. The toughest part if things go well. If the ALL is persistent, 4 months.
    He is a guy who will endure with dignity. No doubt.
    From experience, what little we received from the outside I received (not a pity party, just wheee I was) made focusing on keeping him comfortable much easier.

31. choosenuetral

choosenuetral All-Conference
    Expand Collapse

Lots of questions on here by people that have clearly not been personally impacted by cancer and subsequent treatments. We have no idea what his benefit is. With co-insurance alone you could owe thousands over the course of treatment depending on what the plan’s out of pocket maximum is. Put those aside for a minute. As a HWC member he’s likely not entitled to much when not training and competing. Treatments literally suck the life out of you. These funds are for medical bills, loss of earning and a whole other level of personal expenses that many people can’t afford. I hope people will continue to give. He’s the kind of guy that would give away surplus anyway. God speed young man. You have a huge audience for your biggest match ever and we’re all on our feet cheering for you!

32. Hawkfromday1

Hawkfromday1 Team MVP
    Expand Collapse

Such an incredible response to this sobering news. Makes me proud to be a part of the wrestling community; you all are a special group of women and men. Eager to see Brandon beat this.

33. wasdt21

wasdt21 HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

day1 i think it says alot about the man that brandon sorenson is and the respect he gets for being who he is,he inspires those around him.

MitchLL, Kwoodhawk and Hawkfromday1 like this.
  34. Hawkfromday1

Hawkfromday1 Team MVP
    Expand Collapse

You’re right 21. Brandon is a special kid who has justifiably earned the respect that he’s getting. What’s notable is that it’s not just the Hawkeye family showing their support. It’s really impressive to see the names popping up on the donation list; spanning the country, lots of fanbases represented and former competitors. We (myself very much included) often spar with those on the ‘outside’ of Hawkeye wrestling. Makes me feel good to see those divisions tumble appropriately when a wrestler is in need. Not the first time, not the last.

35. wasdt21

wasdt21 HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

brent metcalf=$500, atta boy

36. Kwoodhawk

Kwoodhawk HR Heisman
    Expand Collapse

$84,356 from 1400 donors as of 8:19 AM 12/5/2019 [​IMG]

HIWILLE, IAChief32 and wasdt21 like this.
  37. Neo_Hawk

Neo_Hawk HR MVP
    Expand Collapse

Health Insurance is a racket. As a business owner I pay a monthly premium more than my house payment and over the last 2 years have paid over 24k out of pocket just to meet my deductible....and even then they don't cover certain meds, which cost me an additional $400 per month. Yeah, the system sucks and dealing with insurance companies sucks. WE NEED TO HIT OVER 100K FOR BRANDON, just so he and his family can cover whatever he needs without having to deal with addition stress caused by the insurance process. That should be enough to flip the insurance company the middle finger, pay for what they don't cover and focus on pinning cancer.

Glad to see that, when our guys need support in one way or another, HR steps up big time! Proud to be a part of this community.

38. MitchLL

MitchLL HR All-American
    Expand Collapse

And..........DSJ!

39. Ihawkd9times

Ihawkd9times HR Heisman
    Expand Collapse

I scrolled through the list of names. I lot of coaches and wrestlers from other teams.

2 that stood out to me.

1. Evan Wick. pretty awesome for a kid who just lost in CHA. I will root for him versus anyone not named the Bull.

2. Tyler Berger. Say what you want about the kid. He egged our fan base on but that speaks volumes.

40. Spaceman Spifff

Spaceman Spifff Team MVP
    Expand Collapse

Yeah. I like my villains to be villains and my good guys, good guys. Then Tyler Berger does this...