ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Sorensen GoFundMe - SorensenStrong

This is true however they can jack the premium VERY high. 2 months before he turned 18, my agent told me to get a small whole life policy in his name so he won’t be denied and existing life insurance meditates a premium jack. Can’t be denied but it can go prohibitive. If he parents bought a separate policy (not a rider) it will be as ok as it can be.

the cost of treatment for ALL can reach over $500k. Most of which is in the beginning of treatment. (High level drugs, test and so on). Called induction depending on the plan. If they add radiation it spikes the cost. If on his parents insurance, most will be covered but there are premium things not covered that really help.
There are many agencies and cancer support groups that can help. Even with their help and great insurance, I was about $25k/$30k out of pocket over 30 months. Worth it but there it is. In my sons case, he qualifies for survivor support for college so, in a sense, that comes back.
End of the day, the more money the family can raise, the less burden on the support agencies to help. Which means, other and less able families get the support.
From what little I know about the Sorensen family, any excess will go to a great place.
I don’t believe AT ALL that anyone is questioning the honor of the family or validity of the the fund. I just wanted to give a perspective of experience.
What I will say is that while it nearly broke my financial state, he lived and I would live in a box that he is alive.
The next 6 weeks will be very hard on BS and his family. The toughest part if things go well. If the ALL is persistent, 4 months.
He is a guy who will endure with dignity. No doubt.
From experience, what little we received from the outside I received (not a pity party, just wheee I was) made focusing on keeping him comfortable much easier.

Per the bolded sections above...

I don't know your experiences, but it is illegal per federal law to "jack the premium" up due to a preexisting condition. So I am not sure how to take your statement there, but that should not have happened and if it did, then you may have some recourse available to you.

A "whole life policy" is life insurance, not healthcare insurance. The two are quite separate items...I am not sure how there would be any connection between a life insurance policy and healthcare insurance.

I don't know Brandon's specific situation, but it is very common and likely that he is on his parents healthcare plan at this stage. If he isn't...he should get on it PRONTO.

The total out of pocket cost of ALL treatment to someone covered under a healthcare plan should get NOWHERE near $500K. Yes, the cost of the treatment could be in that range, but someone covered by a healthcare plan should not get anywhere near that figure in terms of out of pocket costs. Plan particulars like deductibles, out of pocket maximums, etc, will figure in what percentage of the overall cost will be borne by the patient/family.

Reactions: Wadukester
Per the bolded sections above...

I don't know your experiences, but it is illegal per federal law to "jack the premium" up due to a preexisting condition. So I am not sure how to take your statement there, but that should not have happened and if it did, then you may have some recourse available to you.

A "whole life policy" is life insurance, not healthcare insurance. The two are quite separate items...I am not sure how there would be any connection between a life insurance policy and healthcare insurance.

I don't know Brandon's specific situation, but it is very common and likely that he is on his parents healthcare plan at this stage. If he isn't...he should get on it PRONTO.

The total out of pocket cost of ALL treatment to someone covered under a healthcare plan should get NOWHERE near $500K. Yes, the cost of the treatment could be in that range, but someone covered by a healthcare plan should not get anywhere near that figure in terms of out of pocket costs. Plan particulars like deductibles, out of pocket maximums, etc, will figure in what percentage of the overall cost will be borne by the patient/family.
It is possible to be right and to know a good deal of information on a subject and still keep it to yourself. IMO it’s not the time and place for this. I’m happy so many of wrestling family have been so generous! I pray finances are of no concern to the Sorenson family during this crisis.

It is possible to be right and to know a good deal of information on a subject and still keep it to yourself. IMO it’s not the time and place for this. I’m happy so many of wrestling family have been so generous! I pray finances are of no concern to the Sorenson family during this crisis.

you are 100% correct. I deleted my response posts.
While he hit a nerve, not the place. appreciate you standing up. My apologies.

I just checked the total, up to $94,706 as of midnight Thursday, with 1565 donors. I saw that three hours ago the Princeton Wrestling Student Athletes and Alumni donated $1950 (via Max Rogers). Sooo cool!

Edit: Also see there was a nice donation by Barb McReynolds, the widow of Rob McReynolds, the HWC board member who just a few months ago succumbed to cancer. Thanks Barb & Rob!!

Last edited:
3:00 Friday afternoon and $97,026 by 1600 donors.

Going STRONG......
images

Noticed a donation from someone named "nam dep trai" for $5. Have no idea who that is, but makes me wonder what their story is, background, etc, and how did they find out about this situation. Young wrestler maybe? Just curious.

I think the response so far is tremendous, but a couple of things are curious to me about this. 1. All children can remain on their parents health insurance until they turn 26, so the whole year that they are 25, they retain eligibility. I am not sure how old he is, but I suspect he is 1-2 years away from 26 at this time FWIW.

2. Health care coverage cannot be denied due to a pre-existing condition. It is likely that he will have to pay health insurance premiums and the corresponding deductibles, etc, once he hits age 26, and those will not be cheap, but he should not have gigantic uncovered health expenses.

I wish him the very best in this fight, cancer sucks!
There are also, fwiw, many pharma patient assistance programs to help fund cost sharing for onco products. I’ve helped set some up, including for ph+ ALL drugs.

Good luck B!

It's a reasonable question. I can understand folks wondering about the logic behind a fundraising campaign like this. Presumably, his ability to earn an income will be limited at least for the short term. The HWC is a stand-up organization and may continue his current compensation, but it's far from a lucrative income, of course.

Beyond the opportunity cost in the form of potentially lost income, these funds could take care of daily living expenses and afford him a certain amount of peace of mind, knowing that he isn't financially strapped in addition to having to deal with the stresses and rigors of 1.5 years of pretty brutal treatment for a potentially fatal disease. Considering that Brandon is a model citizen and a tremendous representative of Iowa wrestling, the HWC, our university, and our state, I think he's earned every bit of this support. Furthermore, it's a beautiful thing to see a community rally around one of its own like this; I think that's plenty justification for the Go Fund Me page all by itself.
Precisely. There are often hidden social costs as well (eg transport). The more the better. If he has something left over, like other survivors, he’ll pay it forward.

Saturday Dec. 14th at 9:20 and we have a total of $106,650.00 raised so far.

Anonymous still leading.

Win Magazine, Team Poeta, the Colorado Outlaws Wrestling club, and the Hawkeye Area Wrestling Klub some organizations adding their names to the list of donors.

Some interesting individual names on there also.
images

Now that the shock and generous response has left the spot light, don’t forget that NOW is when this thing gets really difficult. Treatments have varying degrees and each person respond differently. Now is the time he and his family will really experience the challenges of this chapter. Please keep him and his family in prayer and a little social media love won’t from now until he rings the bell.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT