ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Wegher

moon291

HB MVP
Sep 12, 2002
Sorry if this already posted but ex-hawk Wegher ran 42 yards for the Carolina Panthers tonight in an exhibition game. Looks like he has a good chance to make the squad. He has apparently settled down.

Looks like he rushed 4 times for 15 yards. He had the one catch for an impressive 42 yard touchdown with 54 seconds left. Panthers went for 2 to "win" 25-24.

Another case of our older, conservative coaches not able to manage young, swaggy athletes.
Remind me how this was on the coaches. Didn't Wegher walk away and Coach Ferentz said he is welcome back but he has to sort some things out. But he never came back right? Would love to here a younger guys perspective on how a old conservative coach handles that. Do you tell him just take you trime and just make sure you make here on game day? Do you go out and drag him back to the football field? This should be riveting, cant' wait for your input.

Remind me how this was on the coaches. Didn't Wegher walk away and Coach Ferentz said he is welcome back but he has to sort some things out. But he never came back right? Would love to here a younger guys perspective on how a old conservative coach handles that. Do you tell him just take you trime and just make sure you make here on game day? Do you go out and drag him back to the football field? This should be riveting, cant' wait for your input.
Agreed, Brandon made the choice.

Compared to what we have had at RB the last several years, I'm cool with just having him show up 5 min before kickoff on Saturdays! :cool:

Next question!

Reactions: BuckRussel
REAL STORY: Ferentz said to Wegher that he can come back but he needs to stay in the dorms like all other players their first 2 years. Wegher wanted to stay in an apartment with the girlfriend while she was pregnant and Ferentz was not okay with that. THAT IS WHAT ENDED WEGHER'S TIME AT IOWA.

Reactions: WORTHYWISH
REAL STORY: Ferentz said to Wegher that he can come back but he needs to stay in the dorms like all other players their first 2 years. Wegher wanted to stay in an apartment with the girlfriend while she was pregnant and Ferentz was not okay with that. THAT IS WHAT ENDED WEGHER'S TIME AT IOWA.

Interesting story. I have not heard this one before.

However, I'm in the camp of cheering for Wegher. What ever the circumstances were of his departure, he was a Hawkeyes. He even became a Mustang like myself which is more ammo for me to like him.

I'm also enjoying the story of how the kid has seemingly matured and turned his life around. Kudos to him and I hope he keeps grinding and makes the cut, if not with the Panthers, then with someone else.

Congrats and good luck to Wegher. There's no reason to lament his success. He was a big part of a great year for Iowa football and then he had to make some important decisions for himself and his family. I'm thrilled to hear that he has an opportunity to play professional football full-time.

It sucks that he couldn't stick with Iowa and have an impact here, but that's what transferring is. Usually it means transferring to FCS for playing time and not NAIA for personal reasons. I really hope he makes it and this story gets told on a Thursday night NFL Network broadcast. Won't hurt the Hawks.

Married Student Housing, dammit!!! As to the OP stating it looks like Wegher has a shot to make the team, I'm guessing it's a long shot as he isn't listed on the depth chart and Carolina drafted Artis- Payne out of Auburn in the 5th round.

Being on the field in the last minute of a preseason game generally means you aren't going to make the roster.

Congrats and good luck to Brandon.

What if we had some 30something football player join the team. Would he have to stay in the dorms his 1st 2 years as well? Stupid Kurt.

At the very least, I think he makes the practice squad. One or two breaks and he makes the roster. If that happens, you would have to put SP on suicide watch.

What if we had some 30something football player join the team. Would he have to stay in the dorms his 1st 2 years as well? Stupid Kurt.

If you noticed I posted that before the dorm story. If that truly was the case that would be a tough call for the coaches but rules are rules. Seems like a petty reason for bw to pack up and leave a very promising situation behind. Im sure he has grown up a lot since then and I hope he makes the team and kicks butt in the nfl.

I saw the replay, Wegher looked good, I hope he makes it somewhere. We all need second chances. However on his touchdown the D over committed, he had an open 42 yards ahead of him to the end zone, no broken tackles or great moves.

Any other poster support this claim?

Also, you are claiming this happened after he left, right?

It was a house not an apartment. His dad bought him a place in new development off Dubuque st. Don't recall the street but all that info can be found on the assessor website. Ferentz has a strict 2 years on campus 2.5 min gpa before can live off campus. Have heard about that rule from a couple players who were on his first couple of teams that I run into now and then at work.

It was a house not an apartment. His dad bought him a place in new development off Dubuque st. Don't recall the street but all that info can be found on the assessor website. Ferentz has a strict 2 years on campus 2.5 min gpa before can live off campus. Have heard about that rule from a couple players who were on his first couple of teams that I run into now and then at work.
Correct

Has anyone created a video of his highlights from the game?

If that's true, it's not a bad rule for most college football players. But I think certain things should exclude you from that rule (parenthood, family health issues, rushing like a maniac in your true freshman season) if the coaching staff makes time to keep an open dialogue with a player to make sure that academic obligations are being fulfilled.

He's not even on the depth chart on their website, that's not a great sign.

The panthers only had 3 RBs and RB/FB Tolbert last season with a 4th RB on the practice squad. It's very unlikely he makes their 53-man roster. It appears he's fighting for that practice squad slot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT