41-1
49-6
57-DNP
65-8
74-8
84-6
97-2
HWT-1

Looking forward to seeing this again ...

fd062b91-5bc9-4748-83f3-d86b28f5ef57-200124-Ohio_St_Iowa_wr-033.JPG

No.

It will take more than that. 8th place finishers don't score jack.
Actually, that is well over 120 points based on reasonable bonus projections for those placements. If they score that, they have a pretty decent chance to win it all. Add an extra 4 for Warner and they would almost assuredly score well over 120 in that hypothetical and PSU doesn't really project for much more than that as of now...

Just using those projected placements:
125: 1st. With it being Lee here, I would say 26 is conservative
133: DNP Being that either guy should be top 15ish, 2 points is fair.
141: 1st. Woods isn't too much of a bonus guy, so lets say 22.
149: 6th You get 6 just for taking 6th. So let's say he goes 4-3, winning 2 on the front and 2 on the back to take 6th. Give him 1 bonus on the front and 1 on the back. That is 11 total points with 3 advancement and 2 bonus.
157: ZERO
165: 8th Even as deep as this weight is he should get first round killing of someone and 1 in wrestle backs. So that is 3 for 8th, plus 2.5 advancement and 2 bonus. So, lets say 7.5
174: 8th I would say 1 less bonus from Nelson, so 6.5
184: 6th Say the same as Murin. 11
197: 2nd Jacob isn't much for bonus, so I would say 17 for 2nd and 21 if he gets that "must take" 1st.
285: 1st If Cass were actually able to win it all, I think he would get a couple pins early, but no bonus after that so 24

So, that is 127-131 based on those predictions with, what I at least think is very reasonable bonus points. If they score that, PSU will need to damn near be perfect to win...

Last edited:
Yeah, highly unlikely. Those results maybe gets 118 points if Cass and Spencer can pick up at least 9 bonus. The target really should always be 125 as a minimum. Only twice in history has a team scored more than 125 and not win. 2001- IA 125.5 and 2018 Ohio State 133.5. I don't see sub 125 winning this year.

Reactions: TarpHawk
4 in the finals?

uh. yeah. you have a chance with that.

Putting 97 & HWT into the finals is probably the only way for Iowa to win this year.

Would probably be a good thing for Iowa's team title hopes if Warner/Dean and Cassioppi/Kerk were on the same side of the bracket.

Scary thought, though. Can't help but think about PSU's absurd semis win %...

yeah, i just mean in general. 4 in the finals (and 3 champs) is ridiculous. you'll always have a shot with that.

i mean penn state has four back but Starocci was OT, Dean walked a tight rope at all times, and RBY will wrestle half a season and may be not the most motivated.

Yeah, highly unlikely. Those results maybe gets 118 points if Cass and Spencer can pick up at least 9 bonus. The target really should always be 125 as a minimum. Only twice in history has a team scored more than 125 and not win. 2001- IA 125.5 and 2018 Ohio State 133.5. I don't see sub 125 winning this year.
Might have a shot at that, as everyone knows PSU doesn't really strive to bonus at nationals...

Actually, that is well over 120 points based on reasonable bonus projections for those placements. If they score that, they have a pretty decent chance to win it all. Add an extra 4 for Warner and they would almost assuredly score well over 120 in that hypothetical and PSU doesn't really project for much more than that as of now...

149: 6th You get 6 just for taking 6th. So let's say he goes 4-3, winning 2 on the front and 2 on the back to take 6th. Give him 1 bonus on the front and 1 on the back. That is 11 total points with 3 advancement and 2 bonus.
165: 8th Even as deep as this weight is he should get first round killing of someone and 1 in wrestle backs. So that is 3 for 8th, plus 2.5 advancement and 2 bonus. So, lets say 7.5
197: 2nd Jacob isn't much for bonus, so I would say 17 for 2nd and 21 if he gets that "must take" 1st.
285: 1st If Cass were actually able to win it all, I think he would get a couple pins early, but no bonus after that so 24

So, that is 127-131 based on those predictions with, what I at least think is very reasonable bonus points. If they score that, PSU will need to damn near be perfect to win...
Asking Abe and Murin for bonus on the way to an 8th place finish might be asking to much. They could do it, but I’d be very happy with both of them placing.

Murin had basically no mat practice time heading into Nats last year, and Abe has been injured so much. I’d like to see them hit their peak this year. Fingers crossed

Reactions: bnicolls
Asking Abe and Murin for bonus on the way to an 8th place finish might be asking to much. They could do it, but I’d be very happy with both of them placing.

Murin had basically no mat practice time heading into Nats last year, and Abe has been injured so much. I’d like to see them hit their peak this year. Fingers crossed
Why didnt Murin have practice before Nationals?

Three champs and a 2nd place finisher. What a great year that would be! When was the last time we had three champs?

Anyone heard if we will see some wrestle offs this year? 33 and 57 are up in the air. 33 is the one that it would be nice for a breakout season for Schreiver or Teske. DNP is fair prediction at 33 but we are lightweight U so cant count them out.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Anyone heard if we will see some wrestle offs this year? 33 and 57 are up in the air. 33 is the one that it would be nice for a breakout season for Schreiver or Teske. DNP is fair prediction at 33 but we are lightweight U so cant count them out.

Haven't heard, but I think they are typically the very beginning of November.

Guessing the Soldier Salute will play a major role in who will get the postseason nod.

My post was a bit hyperbolic so therefore it was not factually correct. If one takes an optimistic view Iowa would have an outside shot with that performance, which is also optimistic.

It would appear that the HAWKS have more potential to improve their point total over the kitties. F*** st has a lot of fire power coming back for sure, but the 4 champions have no where to go but down, and honestly besides Brooks, I could see them all falling. now before the bandwagon F*** guys start wetting their panties. I am not saying it will happen.

After their 4 champions, they have Kerk Hvy, howierd 125 as somewhat known commodities. I do not feel 125 will get them much of anything. Certainly they will be rolling out top recruits at 141, 149, 157, and 165. That being said, until I see something different, I do not see many points at NCAAs out of any of these weights.

Besides LEE, everyone/weight has a chance to improve the current predicted points(Lee could MAX out)!

I feel 133 will be a weight that will score better.

Woods at 141 could win it

149 I like what MSU wrote

157 lets hope someone breaks out

165 Kennedy should add a good amount and I believe more then most are giving

174 Brands should add some points and has a good shot at AA if he can stay healthy

184 Assad see above

197 Warner is right there, can he make the final step and become a champion.

HVY, Big Cass Can win! Without Stevenson This weight goes to whomever out of the top 4 puts it all together.

The other guys currently have more proven studs. They have also shown over the years that they can perform at the big dance and they can and will add the pieces they need to win.

IOWA has to regain their edge and have several guys jump levels. They have so many guy who could/should do this. Season can not start soon enough!!!

GO HAWKS

Last edited:
Anything can happen. What happened to Iowa's health last year was completely unprecedented. It's not like PSU is immune to any misfortune.
True. We're all guessing. I'm guessing based on past performance.

I read that Brands is out for a while with a surgery. Car accident last night.
I hope he has a quick recovery..

I would post the source, but you all wouldn't like it.

I read that Brands is out for a while with a surgery. Car accident last night.
I hope he has a quick recovery..

I would post the source, but you all wouldn't like it.
tough break for nelson if true.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT