ADVERTISEMENT

Brands Talks About Spencer And His Return

KO3JZl@large.gif

No worries, you are safe here! I tried to reply in as limited a fashion as possible and really left no need to debate it any further. I don't care for how it is written, but it is on the ballot so I have no say. We will see how it plays out in a month...

Reactions: IAChief32
OBVIOUSLY, it would only behoove me to make a bet if you actually quantify "far exceed"....
I sense an escape root is being arranged.

Far exceed = greater than or equal to 10%. Surely you've +/- 10% accuracy and confidence in your analysis

I propose two bets for wrestling for life @ $50 each, as follows:

1) Greater than or equal to 10% truncated to 1/2 point for to be calculated sum of individual PSU wrestlers @125, 141, 149, 157, and 165 score based on their current contribution to PSU's Intermat TPI of 100 = sum of scores TBD or more you contribute $50 to WfL. Else I contribute.

2) Greater than or equal to 10% truncated to 1/2 point for your projected team score of 120 = PSU scores 132 or more you contribute $50 to WfL. Else, I contribute.

I will post all mathematical masterbation for 3rd party review of PSU weight contributions to Intermat TPI via a Google Drive sheet.

No need to for exclusions for Injury or RS that precludes NCAA participation.

• Haha
Reactions: BGon4ND

Far exceed = greater than or equal to 10%. Surely you've +/- 10% accuracy and confidence in your analysis

1) Greater than or equal to 10% truncated to 1/2 point for to be calculated sum of individual PSU wrestlers @125, 141, 149, 157, and 165 score based on their current contribution to PSU's Intermat TPI of 100 = sum of scores TBD or more you contribute $50 to WfL. Else I contribute.

2) Greater than or equal to 10% truncated to 1/2 point for your projected team score of 120 = PSU scores 132 or more you contribute $50 to WfL. Else, I contribute.

I will post all mathematical masterbation for 3rd party review of PSU weight contributions to Intermat TPI via a Google Drive sheet.

Dude, you are trying way to hard! Take a deep breath, step back drink a beer and have a nice turkey leg, it will make you feel better.

Reactions: el dub

1.)I am confident their aggregate will exceed Intermat projections. However, I won't bet on guys that haven't even wrestled yet. If you want to revisit an over/under for PSU's bottom 5 in January or so, I am open to that.

2.)I am FULLY in on the over/under for PSU being 132. If under, you pay $50. If over, I pay $50. If 132 hits, we BOTH pay $20 for juice.

Reactions: YoungGun07
1.)I am confident their aggregate will exceed Intermat projections. However, I won't bet on guys that haven't even wrestled yet. If you want to revisit an over/under for PSU's bottom 5 in January or so, I am open to that.

2.)I am FULLY in on the over/under for PSU being 132. If under, you pay $50. If over, I pay $50. If 132 hits, we BOTH pay $20 for juice.
Just as I thought insufficient confidence in your assessment to 10% despite indicating dependence on my definition of "far exceed." Haggling for a push.

Not really interested in one bet now, since it takes my original response out of context. I had already taken my injury and Haines not redshirting disclaimers off the table.

If you want only bet 2) and with a push, then it is contingent on all currently ranked PSU wrestlers finishing B1G conference tournament in a state they could compete in NCAAs (i.e., injury and RS back on the table as voiding bet, failing to qualify uninjured doesn't void).

Just as I thought insufficient confidence in your assessment to 10% despite indicating dependence on my definition of "far exceed." Haggling for a push.

Not really interested in one bet now, since it takes my original response out of context. I had already taken my injury and Haines not redshirting disclaimers off the table.

If you want only bet 2) and with a push, then it is contingent on all currently ranked PSU wrestlers finishing B1G conference tournament in a state they could compete in NCAAs (i.e., injury and RS back on the table as voiding bet, failing to qualify uninjured doesn't void).
Can't believe you're working this hard to save yourself 50 bucks. Times must be tough. A wise sentiment would be if you have to work this hard to try making the bet in your favor, you probably shouldn't make the bet.

A push is a push and there could always be that chance with the NCAA scoring system as long as we did half points or single points. So, I figured BOTH of us still paying helps WFL anyways. But, I have no problem making the over/under 131.5 instead, where the same push rules apply. Also, I have NO ISSUE with us adding a caveat making the bet null and void if 1 of RBY, Starocci, Brooks, Dean or Kerkvliet do not wrestle at NCAA's due to injury.

As far as the other bet goes, I Never even hinted that I think the other PSU guys would score at or less than Intermat's projections. You were the one that brought that part in. I clearly think they will. I just don't think it will be enough to put them into that 132+ range. So, I was simply saying, let's wait until we see who is going to actually be the starters at each weight and we can make a bet then.

Believe me, I am not looking for an out. If you are that confident they score over 131.5, I WANT that bet...

Since it's only one bet, and there's been an assertion I want to save $50,

Let's make it one O/U bet only for $100 to WfL. The O/U is 131.5 with a push where we both pay $100 on a push.

Injury clause only applies to RBY, Starocci, Brooks, Dean or Kerkvliet not wrestling at NCAA's due to injury.

Book it?

@MSU158

If you want to make it:

1) both $50 to WfL now, for only bragging rights later; or,

2) both $50 to WfL, if the injury clause is invoked,

then I'm down with either of those to options as well.

Trying to guarantee WfL $100, considering everyone's time wasted here.

Since it's only one bet, and there's been an assertion I want to save $50,

Let's make it one O/U bet only for $100 to WfL. The O/U is 131.5 with a push where we both pay $100 on a push.

Injury clause only applies to RBY, Starocci, Brooks, Dean or Kerkvliet not wrestling at NCAA's due to injury.

Book it?
I am fine with all, except if we tie. I say we both pay $50.00 for a tie. This way, WFL gets $100.00 no matter what. I donate to enough things that the principle of paying the same amount for tying as losing, doesn't sit well with me.

@MSU158

If you want to make it:

1) both $50 to WfL now, for only bragging rights later; or,

2) both $50 to WfL, if the injury clause is invoked,

then I'm down with either of those to options as well.

Trying to guarantee WfL $100, considering everyone's time wasted here.
I took everything from your first offer. But, I am willing to add the injury caveat. However, I think you should have to pay more since it is YOUR TEAM's injury causing the bet to cancel. With that in mind I think you pay $70.00 and I pay $30 is fair!

Ok. WfL guaranteed $100 via:

I pay $100 if PSU team score is less than 131.5.

You pay $100 if PSU team score is greater than 131.5.

We each pay $50 on an O/U push at PSU NCAA team score of 131.5.

I pay $70 and you pay $30 on injury void of O/U wager by RBY, Starocci, Brooks, Dean or Kervliet.

Book it!!!

Reactions: MSU158
Ok. WfL guaranteed $100 via:

I pay $100 if PSU team score is less than 131.5.

You pay $100 if PSU team score is greater than 131.5.

We each pay $50 on an O/U push at PSU NCAA team score of 131.5.

I pay $70 and you pay $30 on injury void of O/U wager by RBY, Starocci, Brooks, Dean or Kervliet.

Book it!!!
Hands have been shaken and the bet is on! Remember to bookmark this post and bring it back after I am victorious in Mid-March !! ;)

Not my fault your response didn't make 1 lick of sense. But, feel free to be you...
One lick of sense. To you. Pretty much what would probably happen if we were to post in Spanish. To you.

Btw, I DID call garbage can earlier….. so there’s that.

Wait...what? The linked article isn't a Tom Brands interview with a chronological order of his comments. It's an article about an event in the Quad Cities. His statements are intertwined with commentary and info on the upcoming season. Hill is from the QC so it only stands to reason that he was part of the discussion at some point at this event. If you have an issue, it's with Steve Batterson not Tom Brands. And really, there was nothing random at all about the Hill comments.

This shouldn't have to be explained to anyone. I feel like I'm on Sesame Street.

Well clearly at least one of them couldn't.
Didn’t really have an “issue” with anybody. The article struck me as odd that’s all. Tarp pointed out what was “Sesame Street” about it. When I read his post, it was exactly what I thought. Perhaps both of us were being obtuse?……. Anytime I can get a paragraph response from my man Spooner, it’s a win for me though.

Didn’t really have an “issue” with anybody. The article struck me as odd that’s all. Tarp pointed out what was “Sesame Street” about it. When I read his post, it was exactly what I thought. Perhaps both of us were being obtuse?……. Anytime I can get a paragraph response from my man Spooner, it’s a win for me though.

I don't know. Your post clearly read that you thought Brands was talking about Spencer then randomly jumped to Bradley Hill when that isn't the case.

Reactions: el dub
I don't know. Your post clearly read that you thought Brands was talking about Spencer then randomly jumped to Bradley Hill when that isn't the case.
Nope. Obviously it was an article and not a video interview. The interview was all about Spencer Lee and then out of nowhere, with no segue way the interview (the printed interview) ends with him saying how much we love Bradley Hill. It struck me as completely odd and random when I read it. Then I read Tarps post where he tagged A Sesame Street clip that I thought perfectly summarized my perception of the original article. Tom Brands is one of my absolute heroes, and I would certainly never take a shot at him.

Reverting to the points projections discussion (I'm always late to the party!)...I love making projections, but am usually way off. With that said, here are my projections for individual & team points, based on historical averages of what each placer scores (includes placement, advancement and bonus).

125 - Lee (23.5) Howard (3)
133 - Teske/Schriever (3) Bravo-Young (23.5)
141 - Woods (23.5) Bartlett (3)
149 - Murin (12) Van Ness (3)
157 - Reyna (0) ?? (0)
165 - Kennedy (8) Facundo (3)
174 - Brands/Swafford (8) Starocci (23.5)
184 - Assad (12) Brooks (23.5)
197 - Warner (18) Dean (23.5)

The team totals through 197 would be Iowa (106.5) and PSU (106), so it would come down to who places higher, Cassioppi or Kerkvleit.

** Lee will get a lot of bonus, so will score close to 26
** Haines might go at 157 and place high
** Howard, Bartlett and Van Ness could definitely place, but I'm not impressed yet
** I'm being optimistic that Murin, Brands and Assad will place, though they haven't before --- but I'm confident they'll score much better than PSU's young guys

1st = 23.5
2nd = 18.5
3rd = 16.5
4th = 14.5
5th = 12
6th = 10.5
7th = 8
8th = 7
R12 = 3

Nope. Obviously it was an article and not a video interview. The interview was all about Spencer Lee and then out of nowhere, with no segue way the interview (the printed interview) ends with him saying how much we love Bradley Hill. It struck me as completely odd and random when I read it. Then I read Tarps post where he tagged A Sesame Street clip that I thought perfectly summarized my perception of the original article. Tom Brands is one of my absolute heroes, and I would certainly never take a shot at him.
I think the power of suggestion by the OP's and author's headlines initially threw me as well.

Brands was speaking at the "Davenport Grid Club." The author was reporting whatever Brands said in the order he said it. The author wasn't interviewing Brands to control any narrative or create a story.

A lot of interest in Spencer is anticipated, so Coach Brands addresses this up front. Later there's a Q&A portion during which someone from Bettendorf asks about local boy Bradley Hill, given Bettendorf is part of the Davenport Metro area.

So the article's author's brevity seems understandable to me. It's just a headline, "Coach Brands Speaks in Davenport" likely wouldn't garner as many clicks as putting Lee in it.

Ha nothing really to say about this other than if true, I hope he recovers ok. I’ve been in a scary car accident before. I had a teammate who developed schizophrenia in college and he went from one of the most popular guys at school to irrational and delusional in a matter of what seemed like weeks and I was one of the only teammates who didn’t start ostracizing him because I’ll be honest… he’s the one person I’ve ever met who terrified me. You don’t mess with crazy. Anyways, one time I was riding with him to my friend’s house and he had an episode and drove his little car straight into a bluff at 90 MPH with me in the passenger seat and it scrunched the entire front of the car almost to the seats. Somehow I had a tiny cut on my elbow. He had no injuries. Some…how.

Getting into a car accident is awful even if you don’t have physical injuries and I hope the kid is ok… Seems like a good enough dude.

Someone brought this up on another forum and naturally, they brought up the shenanigans from last year. He wrote something like, “karma for what the Brands pulled on Swafford last year.” Here was my response to that, for that narrative needs to be disposed of because Brennan loves Tom Brands. One of his favorite coaches he’s ever had. There is no friction there.

My Response: Michael Kravitz I understand how this would be the first thought a lot of people will have with this considering the situation last year… And a great portion is my fault for making a scene publicly and what not and causing a distraction and potentially making it weird for Brennan. I really wish I would have handled that differently. And I’ve had a lot of time to think about it since and process the situation and listen to something other than my own impulsive thoughts on the ordeal and all in all I feel it was just an unfortunate situation that wasn’t intended by them… I honestly do believe 💯 that it was Kemerer who wanted that match and like Tom Brands said, “he’s been the unquestioned guy, he’s the guy, so he made the decision.”

When the shirt was pulled, i don’t think it was anticipated that Kemerer would be ready to go for a while and apparently things changed. It happens… it was unfortunate and I think if any of us could do it over again, we would all do it differently, but hindsight is 20-20.

With that said, I just want to make sure everyone knows that Tom and Brennan are 💯 cool with each other. In fact, they seem rather tight… not a lot of coaches have been able to reach Brennan as effectively as Tom has and he’s one of his fave coaches he’s ever had. For real… there’s no animosity there. In fact, it’s the opposite with those two. And you can kinda pick up on this with the way Tom talked about Brennan on Flo for that golf outing a few weeks ago. They are good.

And if this news is true and they don’t have to worry about the wrestle offs or whatever, then I think both Tom and Brennan aren’t even thinking about that stuff… I bet they are already thinking and working on reaching their goals.

To anyone interested, the interview from Tom at the golf outing is at the link… he gets to Brennan around the 2:00 mark, but the entire interview is cool…

Was curious if you know what has become of your ex-teammate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT