ADVERTISEMENT

Brands Weight Plan For Recruits.

herkcy

HR All-State
Nov 7, 2002
My guess is someone on this board is connected enough to relay this message to Coach Brands. Yes, I know I'll be chastised for this. No, I don't know more than him. No, I don't coach D1 wrestling. No, I was never a good wrestler. Just a fan that wants to see Iowa back on top, and think if there is any chance this will help why not try.

I have knowledge of three separate recruits in the last three separate years, including this year's class, that have said a major complaint of Coach Brands recruiting is the lack of a weight plan. These recruits want to know the staff has put some time & effort in to figuring out where these recruits fit & when they fit. The top recruits now a days want to wrestle right away. They don't want to sit. They want to know there is a plan for them.

Per these kids, the "it will sort itself out", "the cream will rise", the "we'll figure it out, just come" does not work.

Per these kids, have a plan before hand. Relay that plan. Put thought to the process.

The attitude that if a kid wants that he's not an "Iowa" kid doesn't work. Kids Iowa is recruiting are saying these things, so Iowa does want them. So they are "Iowa" kids. Yes, it ended up working out with Gilman & Clark, but how many have we lost because of it? Also, was that scholarship money best spent with Gilman on the bench during NCAA's? Did Gilman think about transferring?

Anyway, I've said my peace. It comes from the idea it might just help. It's worth a try. Not going to name names, not going to relay sources. Not going to argue points. That is all a waste of time.

My guess is someone on this board is connected enough to relay this message to Coach Brands. Yes, I know I'll be chastised for this. No, I don't know more than him. No, I don't coach D1 wrestling. No, I was never a good wrestler. Just a fan that wants to see Iowa back on top, and think if there is any chance this will help why not try.

I have knowledge of three separate recruits in the last three separate years, including this year's class, that have said a major complaint of Coach Brands recruiting is the lack of a weight plan. These recruits want to know the staff has put some time & effort in to figuring out where these recruits fit & when they fit. The top recruits now a days want to wrestle right away. They don't want to sit. They want to know there is a plan for them.

Per these kids, the "it will sort itself out", "the cream will rise", the "we'll figure it out, just come" does not work.

Per these kids, have a plan before hand. Relay that plan. Put thought to the process.

The attitude that if a kid wants that he's not an "Iowa" kid doesn't work. Kids Iowa is recruiting are saying these things, so Iowa does want them. So they are "Iowa" kids. Yes, it ended up working out with Gilman & Clark, but how many have we lost because of it? Also, was that scholarship money best spent with Gilman on the bench during NCAA's? Did Gilman think about transferring?

Anyway, I've said my peace. It comes from the idea it might just help. It's worth a try. Not going to name names, not going to relay sources. Not going to argue points. That is all a waste of time.

I cant speak for Thomas, but as far as a potential transfer, my gut says absolutely no. I would guess that he knew he wanted to wrestle and learn from the Brands as they were the best coaches to prepare him for both his collegiate career and maybe even more so, for his international career.

Past that, as a high school coach in Iowa for six years, it was at times very difficult planning weights(and there were 14 classes to work kids into). At the college level it gets harder as there are only 10 weight classes. A lot of these kids are still growing as they enter college which makes it difficult. Some kids just naturally due to genetics able to put on muscle and weight easier than others. There are a lot of factors that make weight planning challenging for both the coaches and the kids.

By no means down playing your concerns as they are an issue with any and all programs, but it isn't an exact science. :)

GO HAWKS!!

Reactions: WDuck5217
Yes its nice to have a plan, but there is only so much control that anybody, including the wrestler has over growth and maturity. You can make your best guess but I wouldnt make any promises if I was a coach.

This is a big issue for Brands, not just in recruiting. For example Sorenson had just AA at 149, Cooper is coming in and Grothus will be healthy. We have holes at 141 & 157. What do we do? Let them all earn the spot at 149 until after Midlands. Ohio st is the best at this, the day championships are over they have a plan to get guys at the weights they need them.

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe. Abraham Lincoln

Give Brands six hours to chop down a tree and he'll refuse the ax to make it a brutal six hours of hand fighting the oak into submission.

This is a big issue for Brands, not just in recruiting. For example Sorenson had just AA at 149, Cooper is coming in and Grothus will be healthy. We have holes at 141 & 157. What do we do? Let them all earn the spot at 149 until after Midlands. Ohio st is the best at this, the day championships are over they have a plan to get guys at the weights they need them.

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe. Abraham Lincoln

Give Brands six hours to chop down a tree and he'll refuse the ax to make it a brutal six hours of hand fighting the oak into submission.

It's not always that simple. Okay we have 3 quality kids at 49 and we only have one 49 spot. Let's just make the other two kids a 57 and a 41? Kids just dont put on quality weight that fast much less take off weight like that in a matter that works with 1 hour weigh ins.

The other thing that we need to realize is that at times the wrestler wont do it or maybe more commonly CANT physically do it, no matter how much they may want to.

Brands should do the Cael plan. That entails lying to the recruits and telling them whatever they want to hear. The plan for them changes once they are delivered.

No need to ridicule successful coaches with bullshit. Simpler plan....recruit Pennsylvania...although easier said than done. They're now the prep gold standard.

Reactions: Mikefontenot27
My two cents...and this comes from wrestlers in high school and college. The wrestlers themselves generally have a good grasp of who's going where or if they've grown ect. Social media and friendships from clubs have made the wrestling world into a smaller community.

I don't know that this a hinderance or not as kids can already see the depth chart. I'd imagine Brands handles this the same way all college coaches do

Come in and earn your spot. Things happen, injuries, unexpected growth, transfers, academics etc. Make a plan and that's pretty much promising a kid a spot. That gets out then others get mad or he gets mad when it doesn't happen. Sure say we project this but you still have to earn it.

No need to ridicule successful coaches with bullshit. Simpler plan....recruit Pennsylvania...although easier said than done. They're now the prep gold standard.

Recruiting PA is definitely a step in the right direction and Marinelli was a huge get as well. But, to compete with PSU, you still need to get the Mark Halls, David Taylors, Bo Nickals, Myles Martins, Kyle Snyders and IMars. You have to be able to recruit the can't miss out of state talents.

Consistently doing the above is the only way to "catch up", because Sanderson is doing this and won't be slowing down anytime soon and he has PA recruits in his own back yard. Hell, look at what he has in 2018 so far, it is ridiculous:

#3 Teasdale PA, #4 Beard PA, #5 Wittlake OR, #7 Bravo-Young AZ, #11 Nevills CA and #13 Lee IN.

It's not always that simple. Okay we have 3 quality kids at 49 and we only have one 49 spot. Let's just make the other two kids a 57 and a 41? Kids just dont put on quality weight that fast much less take off weight like that in a matter that works with 1 hour weigh ins.

The other thing that we need to realize is that at times the wrestler wont do it or maybe more commonly CANT physically do it, no matter how much they may want to.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. After BS was an AA, he's established that spot in the lineup. The other two weren't as good as the man at 149. So don't wait until Midlands, put one on a 9 month plan to get to get down 8 pounds & the other a plan to gain 8 pounds. If the plan doesn't work, you didn't lose anything. If it does you just put your best lineup on the mat.

How many kids did this recruiting pitch actually make them like Brands more? Probably more than it turned off. Kids can smell BS and the Brands are not going to tell you that you have a spot waiting for you.

Reactions: CumberlandHawk

I agree 100%.

Everyone knows that things change and nothing is written in stone. But if you're recruiting a kid, you must have a plan for him. Right?

"I want hard-nosed kids who live and breathe the Iowa Style and we'll figure out the rest." That's not a plan.

"I see you starting at 125, redshirting your first year, then starting four years and being a 4-time NCAA champ. You may grow into 133, and I think you'll have similar success there if that happens. I believe this is the best place for you to achieve your goals, and I'll do everything I can to make that happen. I want you on this team, I want you in the lineup, and I want to see your name on that board as a 4-time champ." That's a plan.

I agree 100%.

Everyone knows that things change and nothing is written in stone. But if you're recruiting a kid, you must have a plan for him. Right?

"I want hard-nosed kids who live and breathe the Iowa Style and we'll figure out the rest." That's not a plan.

"I see you starting at 125, redshirting your first year, then starting four years and being a 4-time NCAA champ. You may grow into 133, and I think you'll have similar success there if that happens. I believe this is the best place for you to achieve your goals, and I'll do everything I can to make that happen. I want you on this team, I want you in the lineup, and I want to see your name on that board as a 4-time champ." That's a plan.
I find it hard to believe that they don't discuss weight classes with their recruits. I am guessing that their pitch is somewhere in between these 2 made up scenarios. I am also guessing that scenario #2 is more what the P4P type recruits do get and the kids that may have a hard time seeing the lineup get something more like #1. The 3 kids the OP may know may be kids that may have a hard time seeing the lineup.

I find it hard to believe that they don't discuss weight classes with their recruits. I am guessing that their pitch is somewhere in between these 2 made up scenarios. I am also guessing that scenario #2 is more what the P4P type recruits do get and the kids that may have a hard time seeing the lineup get something more like #1. The 3 kids the OP may know may be kids that may have a hard time seeing the lineup.

He's talking about the same kids I've been talking about. All three would have zero issues making the lineup, be multiple time AA's and at least one has a high probability of a NC (if not multiple imo). So throw that logic out the window.

I agree 100%.

I'm sure the coaches never thought of that:rolleyes:

Some of you guys seem to actually think the OP really knows anything.

Reactions: DirkTang1
You forgot. "FYI you get 50k a year to wrestle for NLWC when you are done so don't get hung up on this low scholarship offer"

Again, $ had literally nothing to do with the previous two kids, and from what I'm hearing, very little or nothing to do with the present. Obviously or he would have commited already.

Again, $ had literally nothing to do with the previous two kids, and from what I'm hearing, very little or nothing to do with the present. Obviously or he would have commited already.
I mean if you are talking about Teske, well things kinda do have to work out and he may actually have a hard time making the lineup if Mejia gets into school. So the Brands could draw up all the plans they want for these kids but what the Brands are saying is actually true. The Brands are not going to go into car salesman mode after 45+ years of living the way they do.

I am sure Dresser and Cael have all kinds of plans. Until they sign the kid and next year they start recruiting over top of them.

Could the Brands be better salesmen? Probably. Does their straightforwardness attract as many kids as turns them away. I think so.

I mean if you are talking about Teske, well things kinda do have to work out and he may actually have a hard time making the lineup if Mejia gets into school. So the Brands could draw up all the plans they want for these kids but what the Brands are saying is actually true. The Brands are not going to go into car salesman mode after 45+ years of living the way they do.

That's a fair point, and could be raised for 2 out of the three, but why use your 12:01 visits on those two guys and then not even visit the 3rd, whom was a high P4P guy, at a much needed weight and was a Hawkeye all the way? And why offer such a big scholly to a kid without driving the short distance to his house for an in-home visit. Not even once? Just doesn't add up, Don.

That's a fair point, and could be raised for 2 out of the three, but why use your 12:01 visits on those two guys and then not even visit the 3rd, whom was a high P4P guy, at a much needed weight and was a Hawkeye all the way? And why offer such a big scholly to a kid without driving the short distance to his house for an in-home visit. Not even once? Just doesn't add up, Don.
So Teske and Berge. Who is the third?

You've been on here long enough. Just go back a few years and look at who Tom used his first visits on.
So Max Thomsen

Teske: who is actually not guaranteed making the lineup.
Berge: who's brother they didn't have a great experience with.
Thomsen: who they actually ended up getting a better option and who in fact would have had a hard time making the lineup as well for a while if Kemerer still came.

Oh and they got Lugo to transfer in to cover 149 & landing Kemerer didn't hurt getting Lee.

I think the Brands have been doing a great job lately.

Last edited:
So Max Thomsen

Thomsen: who they actually ended up getting a better option and who in fact would have had a hard time making the lineup as well for a while if Kemerer still came.

Oh and they got Lugo to transfer in to cover 149 & landing Kemerer didn't hurt getting Lee.

Landing Kemdawg also opened the door for Kaleb Young, Spencer Lee, and the Young Guns pipeline.

So Max Thomsen

Are you done editing?

It wasn't Thomsen, but even if it was, why would you waste your first visits on kids you think might not make your line up rather than using it on someone like Hidlay?

And if your recruiting someone based on your experience with a sibling, well then that recruiter is just ignorant (I don't think that was the case. At least I hope not). And if for some CRAZY reason said recruiter was doing that, then why offer that kid the moon over the telephone?

Are you done editing?

It wasn't Thomsen, but even if it was, why would you waste your first visits on kids you think might not make your line up rather than using it on someone like Hidlay?

And if your recruiting someone based on your experience with a sibling, well then that recruiter is just ignorant (I don't think that was the case. At least I hope not). And if for some CRAZY reason said recruiter was doing that, then why offer that kid the moon over the telephone?
You think Hidlay is guaranteed making the lineup right away? Wilke and Young will both have something to say about that. Never mind, Brands could fire up a power point plan to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy.

You Think Hidlay is guaranteed making the lineup right away? Wilke and Young will both have something to say about that. Never mind, Brands could fire up a up a power point plan to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy.

Haha, that's the attitude!

Yes, I believe Hidlay will be better than Wilcke.

I think Lugo for 2 years and landing a top kid to replace him actually does negate Berge. We will have to wait and see.

I have no idea what TnT tell recruits. But I can tell they desperately want their guys to win, not just for the team's sake or for TnT's careers' sake...and I can hear them saying over and over "you get what you earn".

So back to thompsen....why didn't we land him?

Cus kem and thompsen seems better
I think Schwab did a great job recruiting him. It is closer to home. His high school coach went to UNI. Heard he didn't get along with his brother that great who was at Iowa, and Brands didn't do a power point presentation laying out exactly where he would fit into the lineup. Take your pick.

Reactions: Mikefontenot27
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT