ADVERTISEMENT

Brandy Old Fashioned

Greenway4Prez

HR Legend
Jan 10, 2005
I’m on a kick lately making them. Sweet, not sour. Spent $20 on Luxardo cherries, worth every penny.

Discuss

/csb

Reactions: Nipigu
I’m on a kick lately making them. Sweet, not sour. Spent $20 on Luxardo cherries, worth every penny.

Discuss

/csb

Luxardo cherries or Amarena Toschi cherries are great. But Luxardo liqueur has no decent substitute in cocktails.

As far as cocktails go, my two favorites are Aviations and Gimlets. But I’m a fan of true three ingredient Cuban daiquiris, Manhattans, Sazeracs, dirty martinis, Ramos Gin Fizz, Godfathers, gin & tonics, a good quality made with fresh lime juice and gran marnier instead of triple sec margaritas and tequila sunrises.

Tonight I made a smoky sweet amaro (2 parts Sailor Jerry, 1 part mezcal, 1 part Saliza Ameretto, 1/4 part key lime juice and 4 dishes of orange bitters) and a Luzardo Manhattan (3 parts Jack Daniels rye whiskey, 3/4 parts punt e mes, 3/4 parts Luxardo liqueur and two Amerena Toschi cherries.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Love em. Unfortunately when I have them, I over serve myself and can taste them for about 3 days

Luxardo cherries are the greatest. I bought a #10 can of them on Amazon and blew through them in a few months.

God damn horrible. Went to watch Iowa in Madison for the first time a couple years ago and a buddy of mine and I ordered old fashioned at a bar the night before and thought they Fudged up the order until they told us that was the Wisconsin version. Who the hell would drink that sweet of a drink is beyond me. The wife wouldn’t even drink it

One of the things Wisconsin has gotten wrong about drinking. Bourbon or Rye only.

Also I'm fairly certain a traditional old fashioned doesn't have cherries.
I think I would like it better with bourbon actually.

And I will protest at the entrance to Hy-Vee if you make any attempt to take my cherries from me!

Yeah, for a Manhattan I enjoy bourbon or Rye. But an Old Fashion? Bourbon. To my taste.

I'm with you. Rye for a Manhattan, bourbon in an Old Fashioned. The other thing I will substitute into an OF from time to time is Foundry's Corn Whiskey.

I lived in Madison for five years and just couldn't ever bring myself to like the brandy OF.

Luxardo cherry or GTFO.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I drink my Old Fashioned the right way...with brandy. Wisconsin style. All those Germans up there got it right.

Reactions: Nipigu
I drink my Old Fashioned the right way...with brandy. Wisconsin style. All those Germans up there got it right.
giphy.gif

This brandy based Old Fashioned is news to me, that just doesn’t seem right to me. Do they substitute brandy in their Rusty Nails as well? Sacrilege!

Reactions: artradley
I used to drink the shit out of the Jezynowka Polish Blackberry Brandy. Throwing up in my mouth a little bit thinking of it.

Discuss

/csb

I’ve never had one made with brandy despite living next to Wisconsin. I need to try it. Just bourbon, a splash of simple syrup and a twist of orange peel.

This thread inspired me this evening. Made a couple with Cedar Ridge Bourbon, then one with Templeton Rye.

1 of them had a dash or two or smoked chili bitters in place of the aromatic bitters. Great, great twist.

Brandy sucks.

This thread inspired me this evening. Made a couple with Cedar Ridge Bourbon, then one with Templeton Rye.

1 of them had a dash or two or smoked chili bitters in place of the aromatic bitters. Great, great twist.

Brandy sucks.

One of the best variants I ever had was in Nashville. Bartender had some walnut bitters. I was curious how you’d use something like that. Made me an Old Fashioned with them. I haven’t been able to match it at home.

Brandy sucks.
Do you feel that way about all brandy? I bought Paul Masson VSOP because it’s not sweet compared to most other brandys.

Don’t get me wrong, I look forward to getting some Cedar Ridge bourbon and having an old fashioned with that.

Do you feel that way about all brandy? I bought Paul Masson VSOP because it’s not sweet compared to most other brandys.

Don’t get me wrong, I look forward to getting some Cedar Ridge bourbon and having an old fashioned with that.
Personally I do. Because there isn't a single drink that brandy would have been a better choice in. Honestly I'm just not a big brandy fan. Even though she's a fine girl.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT