ADVERTISEMENT

Branson, MO at Christmas. Anybody have any experience?

l.todd

HR MVP
Dec 21, 2004
Looking for a vacation spot for my family of 5, 3 adult children (25, 23 and 21). I have never been there, but my brother is moving there this fall. Wondering if that might be a fun place for us to go? Is there enough to do there for a week? We are not country folk. 2 kids in NYC, one in DC. Any thoughts appreciated.

If you and the family have any sort of small-town, down-home, history you might have some fun. Silver Dollar City is charming with all the holiday lights. Plenty of shows to see, a few aren’t country focused. A little bit of shopping in “downtown Branson”. There are some golfing options too, but dicey if you’re going at Christmas time.

We used to go at thanksgiving, with the kids, and would have a great time if the weather cooperated. As they’ve gotten older, we’ve gone less and less.

if you do go, please take video of you and your city slicker kids experiencing the olde-tymie glory of Branson and share with the HORT crew, please.

We have been a number of times, many at thanksgiving a few at Christmas. We always rent a cabin on vrbo or Airbnb. There are a number of shows almost all doing a half Christmas half regular show. The food,is surprisingly good. We enjoy going to chateau on the lake for the holiday meal.

You’ll have to get lucky to get some golf in unless you’re down with the cold weather. A high of 50 would be a warm day at Christmas. All in all not a bad vacation spot for the holidays.

yes. One of the capitals of the American myth.
Should be self righteously “godly” and very cheesy and very kitschy and very white and mostly old

I’d prefer going to the actual mountains or an actual beach or an actual city for some actual culture.

Reactions: jasonrann
yes. One of the capitals of the American myth.
Should be self righteously “godly” and very cheesy and very kitschy and very white and mostly old

I’d prefer going to the actual mountains or an actual beach or an actual city for some actual culture.
This explains why my brother is moving there. Thanks. Will be a hard pass for me.

We have been several times with the kids and always had a blast.

The whole redneck may be a bit of a myth at this point. I have to have a little bit of cash to roll in Branson.

branson-landing-branson-missouri.jpg

branson-landing-dusk.jpg

Silver-Dollar-City_Time-Traveler_CO-SDC.original.jpg

8ae6a43bdd07123a90bb86f65940f078.jpg

top-of-the-rock-golf-course-Hole-3.jpg

I went there a lot as a kid but always in the summer. A lot of good memories, except the traffic.

ride the ducks
Putt golf and go carts
Silver dollar city

not sure what the weather is like in southern Missouri that time of year but we were always outside.

My parents live just outside there so I'm down there about 6-7 times a year and Silver Dollar city is great for the light show. Plenty of stuff to do without being into country music and that scene. Worst part is the traffic. The new landing they put in a few years ago is a good time. Weather is always pretty decent that time of year it's not uncommon to be outside in just a t-shirt.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I’ve been to Branson a few times. The girl I was dating at the time …
her sister had a “show” (singing/dancing/variety) … I thought “this should be pretty good…” … She was - after all - up for performer of the year in Branson…

Man, it was horrible. Like a bad USA Network movie at 2:00 am. My girlfriend and I at the time were the only ones in attendance who didn’t have dentures.

Stay away from the entertainment … It’s made up of Nashville wannabes … without the talent.

The cheesiness of the “shows” is enough to keep me away… Restaurants we’re fine. Adult kids = might be a stretch to find something fun to do …

Well, if you're dreaming of a White Christmas that'll be guaranteed in Branson.

Was there less than a month ago. We went to a show at the Sight and Sound Theater and they were promoting The Miracle of Christmas. Guarantee you (there's another one) there will be live camels with some wise guys strolling down the aisles. Always very good production value at S&S.

Branson Landing was pretty nice. Took a really fast zipline across the river. Imagine it would be EVEN MORE invigorating in December!!!

Restaurants, surprisingly, all close early. We asked a server why and she said because Branson caters so much to families. Makes sense, I suppose.

That's all I got.

None of us is perfect, especially on HORT. Far, far, far from it haha.
I have been seeing wifey (no pic) and the kids at least every other day. I'm stopping by tonight and we're going to have dinner. She has had a big two days of meetings and client calls so I'm going to pick up something and take it over. Step by step, brother!

I have been seeing wifey (no pic) and the kids at least every other day. I'm stopping by tonight and we're going to have dinner. She has had a big two days of meetings and client calls so I'm going to pick up something and take it over. Step by step, brother!

Tread, lightly.

Pound, eventually.

Good luck!

Reactions: jasonrann
ADVERTISEMENT