ADVERTISEMENT

Break out yr for Ellingson? Kreiner: "One of best shooters I’ve ever been around. He's a machine."

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
“Oh God, he’s a machine,” Ryan Kriener said. “When we play open gym, he’s always the first one picked. When the game’s on the line, he’s the one we all want shooting it in open gym. He’s one of the best shooters I’ve ever been around.”

But in order to shift from role player to starter, he needs to elevate other parts of his game. That’s what he has targeted this offseason while maintaining his uncanny shooting accuracy.

“I’m definitely feeling more comfortable with my shot,” Ellingson said. “I work on it every day, trying to do more stuff off the dribble, going into pull-ups and 3s off the dribble, too.

“I’ve been doing better at off-the-ball defending and just trying to get quicker and being better on the ball.”

“I think he’s trying to make plays off the dribble more,” Baer said. “We saw that a little bit last year toward the end of the season. I think he’s just so sound defensively. He’s got great fundamentals, he’s always in the right position. Very intelligent player. I think for him, he’s trying to make more plays off the dribble and become more well-rounded.”

He hit 5 of 7 3-pointers against Ohio State last season. He was 3 of 3 from 3-point range against Purdue and scored more than 10 points in six different games.

“He’s really trying to assert himself in that 2-guard spot because obviously with Pete graduating there’s some open minutes there,” Baer said. “There’s a lot of people competing for it. I’ve been really impressed with how confident he is so far, especially because he’s one of the older guys now.”

“He’s been kind of taking on a leadership role in practice,” Kriener said. “I feel like he’s going to have a big year.”

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowas...f10_Iowa&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Last edited:
Needs to take more shots this year

It just seems like so many players on the team keep developing and keep getting better.

Can't wait to see on the court who has improved and in what areas!

Brady definitely had his moments last year; can he be more consistent and earn more playing time? Can't wait to find out!

It just seems like so many players on the team keep developing and keep getting better.

Brady definitely had his moments last year; can he be more consistent and earn more playing time? Can't wait to find out!
46% or whatever is pretty consistent. The problem here is that BE shot 46% from beyond the arc and didn't even take enough threes to qualify for the Big Ten shooting title. Especially with the infamous "second half dry spell" that seems to plague every recent Iowa team, it would be nice if our 45% shooter would force something once in a while. Kind of seems like he doesn't take a shot unless WIDE open. And that's not me bagging on Brady. I just think it would have helped quite a bit down the stretch last year while Jok was hurt/struggling if Ellingson would have been a bit more assertive. Hopefully as one of the vets on this team and with Jok gone, that becomes the case.

As fans we want it both ways. If he shot selection is excellent and he shoots 45% we want him to force more attempts. His failure to qualify for the shooting title probably had as much to do with his minutes as opposed to being timid. If he shoots more and drops to 33% there will be those who rag on him for being a practice wonder who can't bring it in games.

I'm pleased with Ryan's comments about him and will let Fran guide him as how much to shoot.

46% or whatever is pretty consistent. The problem here is that BE shot 46% from beyond the arc and didn't even take enough threes to qualify for the Big Ten shooting title. Especially with the infamous "second half dry spell" that seems to plague every recent Iowa team, it would be nice if our 45% shooter would force something once in a while. Kind of seems like he doesn't take a shot unless WIDE open. And that's not me bagging on Brady. I just think it would have helped quite a bit down the stretch last year while Jok was hurt/struggling if Ellingson would have been a bit more assertive. Hopefully as one of the vets on this team and with Jok gone, that becomes the case.
Seemed to me Brady was having a real good stretch of games leading up to the Minnesota game.....after he got caught in the corner at the end of regulation I thought he took that pretty hard and wasn't as assertive for the remainder of the season.

I hear what you are saying.....but I thought that they actually played pretty well when Pete was sitting out.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Olgesby 2.0. haha, I do feel bad for Josh O. I recall him running all out baseline to baseline around screens trying to get open. With a limited number of shooters around him all the pressure was on him to be that guy to make them. . Whatever minutes Brady earns he should have the luxury of having a couple other guys on the court with him that are legit threats and should be able to come up with open looks.

I hear what you are saying.....but I thought that they actually played pretty well when Pete was sitting out.
They did and he did. It seemed like he kind of disappeared down the stretch when Peter returned. Maybe there's something to what @binsfeldcyhawk2 said regarding the Minnesota game.

And to be clear, I'm not proposing BE channel his inner Jimmer Fredette or play hero ball. Simply be a bit more aggressive shooting... And that won't drop his percentage down to 33% - cut the hyperbole

BradyE doesn't have the quick release like Bohannon does. He needs a lot of space and when you shoot well, that space isn't there. I agree he looks to be a great shooter. If he does develop some off the dribble moves than that will be great step up for him.

I don't mean this in anyway as a knock against Brady but he isn't hard to guard. Pete could rise and fire right in someone's face....it didn't matter. Brady isn't as quick and doesn't jump as high and is shorter than Pete. He is just an easier cover. He needs to get some sneeky moves and really look for his shot. Also needs to be able to create a shot off the dribble. I expect to see that from him this year.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
Hope I am proven wrong, but BE is just not quick enough and is a big liability on D. I also don't believe we will ever see him fake a shot and drive to the board.

BE can get open, and often. Brady passed up open 3s in almost every game. Since he shot almost 50% and has an nearly perfect shooting motion he should almost never pass on an open shot. Brady's shooting motion is much better than Ogie's. No fall back, much quicker wind up. Not nearly as strong so probably never had Ogie's rank. But, within his range, Brady is a much better looking shooter. Like Walt Frazier said; "a dead eye at 21' is probably a brick layer at 25'.

Brady improved significantly over the course of last season on defense and ball handling. Not great but not the liability he was earlier in the season either. Brady definitely improved his defensive awareness and plugged more than a couple of open lanes on fast breaks. Given the huge Iowa back line Brady's defensive mistakes can be frequently smothered by a large defender. Brady's playing time will be controlled by a simple equation: his offensive contribution must outweigh his defensive cost. I think it will.

Brady showed much improved skills at getting to the basket, especially off screens. As the team improves Brady might get some more balls down there, draw more fouls and continue his 100% free throw shooting. Brady also improved a little on ball handling. If the defense guards him tight, as suggested above, Brady should draw a few more fouls just from being grabbed because the defender is surprised to see him drive. It also makes for a great decoy that takes a defender completely out of the game producing a 4-4 offense (like Kent McCausland for mid to old timers).

Brady, like Kent, is the quintessential player Iowa needs to win. A kid with a nice upside that stays eligible and at Iowa and works hard at improving skills and acquiring game knowledge. By the time they're 23 year old 5th year seniors they become key elements in successful teams. Kent McC started on Iowa's last Sweet 16 team.

This kid is probably never going to be a big star but he's showed enough improvement to give a reasonable expectation that he's capable of even more improvement; ultimately becoming a pretty good player. Iowa needs Brady to make that improvement if he's coming in for Ike or Bo, at either guard position. God knows Hawks need a reserve point guard that can play 8-10 minutes and not kill the offense while on the floor. CW has not shown any ability to deliver in that role and doesn't appear to see a future at that position. That pretty much leaves Brady and Dailey.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawki1968
Hope I am proven wrong, but BE is just not quick enough and is a big liability on D. I also don't believe we will ever see him fake a shot and drive to the board.

One of our leaders, Baer, disagrees with your assessment.
"I think he’s just so sound defensively. He’s got great fundamentals, he’s always in the right position."

"I think he’s just so sound defensively. He’s got great fundamentals, he’s always in the right position."
Ellingson plays really good position defense IMO. If he improved his lateral quickness, I think fans who believe he is a weak link, will start to notice how sound he is fundamentally.

Kriener has a chance to get 20 minutes a game this year. He is a very efficient scorer. With those minutes he could be in the 9-11 points/game area. Ellingson could be in for the same jump.

BE is good enough to be donning a black and gold uniform so I'm going to keep cheering for him. He has the stroke. We've seen what he can do when he is "feeling it" ... now, we just hope his confidence continues to grow ...

Reactions: perryhawk
F&%k all the BE Haters.
He is a player. He plays defense despite he is not quick and is WHITE.
He has decent handles and can shoot the ball.
F$&k the BE haters.

Do you really expect a team mate to say anything negative about a fellow player?

It's a five player game.

What changes have happened since last year that effect Brady's role?

1) Jok is gone, opening up 30 mpg for the likes of Ellingson, Dailey and Williams. (Moss is certainly going to take some of those minutes as well.)

2) Bohannon is working on, and now seems rather capable of, penetration and either dishing or tossing up a nice floater.

3) We added height and what should be improved defense on the interior, AND have a couple of post players who can stretch the floor.

Besides just the usual improvements from others growing from frosh to sophs.

So, again, in a five player game what do these changes mean for Brady Ellingson?

Anyone who cannot figure out that Brady Ellingson can Flat-out shoot the rock, needs to just quit following hoops and become a hockey fan.

Go Hawks :)

I don't mean this in anyway as a knock against Brady but he isn't hard to guard. Pete could rise and fire right in someone's face....it didn't matter. Brady isn't as quick and doesn't jump as high and is shorter than Pete. He is just an easier cover. He needs to get some sneeky moves and really look for his shot. Also needs to be able to create a shot off the dribble. I expect to see that from him this year.

He would be helped tremendously if we had a driving PG that could create of the dribble for others (not JoBos strength) OR if Moss can become more of a slasher I could see Brady benefiting from that while they are in together.

Reactions: perryhawk
He would be helped tremendously if we had a driving PG that could create of the dribble for others (not JoBos strength) OR if Moss can become more of a slasher I could see Brady benefiting from that while they are in together.
Actually I think JoBo created a TON of shots for Pete last season.....

Brady looked like he was going to become MacCausland before settling in on Oglesby. The difference between he and the latter is that we don't need to force it the way we needed when we were desperately looking for a shooter. Bohannon, Moss and Baer will spread the floor just fine. Cook and Pemsl will keep em in the paint.

Slashers are ideal when you're lacking in either category, but clearly no lineup will exist that'll afford opponents the opportunity or desire to clamp Ellingson. Only an Ellingson breakout will do that. The entire idea be it that or CW running around everywhere is that it takes focus off of the others.

They need to facilitate, not score. Give Moss and Pemsl the chance to do that, as they are far more rounded scoring threats. Even Garza. The reason Ellingson is such an important wild card IS because nobody can focus on him.

ADVERTISEMENT