ADVERTISEMENT

"Breaking in" a composite bat

"anyone knows"

"Anyone who has played with an all-composite bat knows that composite bats are often not as hot "out of the wrapper" as they are after a few hundred hits have been put on the bat."

FAR more likely, that after you swing a new bat, with new balance and weight characteristics, you get better at making good contact, than anything to do with the bat, itself.
Do have a critique of this?

Here's actual data for you.
and the effect is (as could be expected with a composite) nothing to do with "breaking down the resin", but rather delaminating the resin/fiber interfaces (which will happen with use), increasing the trampoline effect.

But it's hundreds of hits, not "50".

And this makes sense to me, because you will have different dynamics in a composite when you delaminate/detach the fibers from the composite resin. It's just also going to shorten the lifespan of your bat.
That’s what the second quote I pasted said

That’s what the second quote I pasted said
Sorry, I just saw the one that said "breaking down resin", which is nonsense.

If you note in the link I'd posted, a few of the bats are reverting downward after 1000 to 1500 hits, which means that delamination loses it's "benefit" and that is your composite bat degrading over time.

So, you may as well just get out there and start swinging with it, rather than pre-aging it.

"from our tests"

I have yet to see any actual science on this.
There's actually some science on the cryo processes for metal bats - at least decent hypotheses around them.

Not so much on what these guys are claiming.
Just admit you were wrong. Nobody cares if you see scientific data or not.

I've studies composite materials in graduate school. Nothing we learned is consistent with this "hypothesis".

Only thing he says that is correct is that "this isn't....science".
It's not.
I'm pretty sure bat technology has advanced in the 30 or 40 years since you were in school. The manufacturers undoubtedly know more than you, or else you'd have some patents and be filthy rich.

"anyone knows"

"Anyone who has played with an all-composite bat knows that composite bats are often not as hot "out of the wrapper" as they are after a few hundred hits have been put on the bat."

FAR more likely, that after you swing a new bat, with new balance and weight characteristics, you get better at making good contact, than anything to do with the bat, itself.
LoL. Guys play with the same length, weight, and loading. Theses guys have no trouble making contact. You're still talking out your @ss.

I'm pretty sure bat technology has advanced in the 30 or 40 years since you were in school.
I didn't study "bats" in school. I learned about "composites". And "composites" haven't changed all that much. There isn't any such thing as the "resin" nonsense.

The effect has nothing to do with that, which is why I'd called it "total bullshit". If you bother to read the link I'd posted, you can learn something.

I'm pretty sure bat technology has advanced in the 30 or 40 years since you were in school. The manufacturers undoubtedly know more than you

Weird that this article states in a "controlled laboratory setting" they found no effects on the bat performance for composite bats (other study claimed to use "actual batters")

This would imply the other paper has biases on the "learning curve" for the humans they used to "age" the bats. When you use a lab method/robot, you won't see this.

This paper will discuss the observed evolution of the performance for six currently popular composite baseball bats that were subjected to cycles of performance testing followed by repeated use in a controlled laboratory setting. None of the six composite baseball bats exhibited a significant change in performance. Some of the composite bats did exhibit poor durability.

That "lab" result would support my post that this is simply batters "learning" as they hit and honing their skills with a new bat (very much like MLB batters coming off an injury require a few weeks to get back up to speed).

Maybe the "manufacturers" are getting people to wear their bats out faster, so they can sell them new ones. If I were on the marketing team for composite bats, I'd sure as shit be up for promoting an "aging" theory that would help people wear bats out faster.

Weird that this article states in a "controlled laboratory setting" they found no effects on the bat performance for composite bats (other study claimed to use "actual batters")

This would imply the other paper has biases on the "learning curve" for the humans they used to "age" the bats. When you use a lab method/robot, you won't see this.

This paper will discuss the observed evolution of the performance for six currently popular composite baseball bats that were subjected to cycles of performance testing followed by repeated use in a controlled laboratory setting. None of the six composite baseball bats exhibited a significant change in performance. Some of the composite bats did exhibit poor durability.

That "lab" result would support my post that this is simply batters "learning" as they hit and honing their skills with a new bat (very much like MLB batters coming off an injury require a few weeks to get back up to speed).

Maybe the "manufacturers" are getting people to wear their bats out faster, so they can sell them new ones. If I were on the marketing team for composite bats, I'd sure as shit be up for promoting an "aging" theory that would help people wear bats out faster.
You have proved multiple times in this thread you don't know what you are talking about. Serious ballplayers buy new bats every year. World class softball players don't need to learn anything.

You have proved multiple times in this thread you don't know what you are talking about.

I've proven twice in this thread I can post references related to the topic.

One which claims "no effect" under "laboratory conditions".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT