ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Russian has secretly spent at least $300 million to influence global politics since 2014, U.S. intelligence assessment finds

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Russia has secretly funneled at least $300 million to foreign political parties and candidates in more than two dozen countries since 2014 in an attempt to shape political events beyond its borders, according to a new U.S. intelligence review.

We're following changes at the palace after the passing of Queen Elizabeth II. Get the Post Elizabeth newsletter for updates.

Moscow planned to spend hundreds of millions of dollars more as part of its covert campaign to weaken democratic systems and promote global political forces seen as aligned with Kremlin interests, according to the review, which the Biden administration commissioned this summer.

A senior U.S. official, who spoke to reporters Tuesday on the condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence findings, said the administration decided to declassify some of the review’s findings in an attempt to counter Russia’s ability to sway political systems in countries in Europe, Africa and elsewhere.

“By shining this light on Russian covert political financing and Russian attempts to undermine democratic processes, we’re putting these foreign parties and candidates on notice that if they accept Russian money secretly we can and we will expose it,” the official said.
The senior official pointed to one Asian country they declined to name where the Russian ambassador allegedly gave millions of dollars in cash to a presidential candidate. Officials said that Kremlin-linked forces have also used shell companies, think tanks and other means to influence political events, sometimes to the benefit of far-right groups.
A State Department démarche Monday to U.S. embassies in more than 100 countries described the alleged Russian activities and suggested steps the United States can take to push back, including sanctions and travel bans. The cable, which officials provided to reporters, named Russian oligarchs it said were involved in what it described as “financing schemes,” including Yevgeniy Prigozhin and Aleksandr Babakov. Prigozhin, who is wanted by the FBI, was charged by U.S. officials in 2018 with attempting to interfere in the 2016 U.S. elections.
This is a developing story that will be updated.

Reactions: HawkMD
And water is wet.

There are entire Russian government entities dedicated to malign influence and I've been posting on it for years (trying to use unclassified sources like RAND Corporation and the like). I was assigned to a TF dedicated to thwarting those activities...I've since passed the torch to my no-pics daughter.

Gee, I wonder which party in the US received Moscow Money. I'm sure we will just ignore this the same way we ignored how the NRA got money from Russia.
One thing they did was employ trolls like Nat and Abby to park themselves on message boards and to drive divisive content. They pretend to be far right and far left. Anything to create dissent and anger.

The ROI has been amazing. BREXIT. The US under continuing assault from far right insurrectionists.
One of my favorite misconceptions is the famous, "Ignore any new FB friend requests from me. I've been hacked!"

Um, no, you most likely haven't been hacked. What foreign actors do is clone open FB accounts, then make an attempt to infiltrate a person's social media (SM) friends list. All it takes is one or two acceptances and they can start posting memes, links, etc. that align with a peer groups pre-conceived notion(s). Most people never verify what they see, they just know it supports their belief system so they reshare it in their SM feed...in a few short hours, you have false propaganda proliferating all through a SM platform.

Reactions: fsu1jreed and Flie
How much has the US spent?
giphy.gif

How much has the US spent?
Be interesting what the US government has spent in other countries in that time frame.

also what the DNC and RNC and their associated PACs have spend domestically.

this might be like the percentage of income a can of soda is for Lebron.

I’d say that will be off at least 1 zero and more likely two zeroes when the truth comes out after Putin falls out a window next week.

Reactions: cigaretteman
One thing they did was employ trolls like Nat and Abby to park themselves on message boards and to drive divisive content. They pretend to be far right and far left. Anything to create dissent and anger.
I just haven't been able to tell if they were Russian funded or RNC funded. I'm almost positive Nat was Russian funded. It's no coincidence that he went silent the day Russia invaded Ukraine.

ADVERTISEMENT