ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking: Sounds like NCAAs are competitors and family only

Are you saying BIG NATIONALS PARTY AT SPOONER'S PLACE?

BRING ALL YOUR ROWDY FRIENDS..........
pirate-smiley-face.jpg
tenor.gif

And their kids too........
images

Reactions: SDHN2013
I think we should have the freedom to decide if we want to risk it ourselves. If I risked skydiving or enlisting in the military and I died doing so, that's on me. Death isn't the enemy, it's not living your life the way you choose. Maybe I'm partly arguing with my fiance through you since she's a bit of a hypochondriac and sometimes she misses the moments that are there, but anyway that's how I feel and I like my priorities.
Not picking on you personally, but if you think I want the American Public determining my fate when it comes to disease of any kind and how it effects their "freedom", that's not something I can get behind. There are A LOT, and I don't mean maybe, A LOT of dumb mofo's out there.

We can't even get assholes who are already knowingly exposed to self quarantine properly! Stupid bastards should be stoned to death in the local square! Assuming you can hit them and not be exposed......;)

This is a WE THING, like it or not.

i think the pussification of America is complete. Not even 20 years ago we were attacked by cowardly terrorists and were unsure when the next strike would happen. We insisted on carrying on about our daily lives. Baseball stadiums were filled. We wouldn’t let the terrorists terrorize us. We were America! Fast forward a little less than 20 years and we are terrorized by a really bad flu. Fricking mind blowing.

Be the second person. This is for the good of everyone.

i think the pussification of America is complete. Not even 20 years ago we were attacked by cowardly terrorists and were unsure when the next strike would happen. We insisted on carrying on about our daily lives. Baseball stadiums were filled. We wouldn’t let the terrorists terrorize us. We were America! Fast forward a little less than 20 years and we are terrorized by a really bad flu. Fricking mind blowing.

Did you recently hit your head or have a stroke?

Or have you always been this dense and I just didn’t notice?

On the bright side this should cut down on the amount of boos an Iowa wrestler gets when the lose. I know, it’s a pretty dim bright side. This sucks for everyone involved. Stupid China and their weird diseases!!! Haha
Also on the bright side you now have an excuse for no one being at your funeral.
* I kid

Reactions: Boomhawk52
I was just going to state this. If you slow down the spread, you spread out the number of people getting sick at the same time. If everyone got sick at the same time, there would not be enough medical facilities to care for the patients.
In Italy a huge problem is the healthcare system cant keep up with the demand. This can and will raise mortality rates. Thats what we are trying to avoid.

I'm not happy at all about prohibiting fans but the reasoning for this is to limit the spread to future people. If 50,000 people go to US Bank and unknowingly catch the virus and then go back to their homes and unknowingly carry the virus and then go to their grocery stores, restaurants, work and inadvertently spread it that way. I'm not saying I agree with the extreme decision (I am actually pretty upset about this). But they aren't just trying to protect the fans who go to the stadium, they are trying to limit the spread in general and protect people who would interact with these fans in the future.

I think the damage is done and I don't know that these measures will do much to stop the spread. It's not like we are all quarantining ourselves in our homes, most of us are still going to work, going to restaurants, taking subway, taking bus, and being among the rest of our society in general. I was really hoping the NCAA wrestling tournament would be able to be held before the public health outcry got too big. Unfortunately I think it was at just the wrong time, if it was last weekend it would be fine, and if it had been a month later, I suspect it would be fine.

It does make sense, but I was talking to a customer who had just come back from China (over a week ago) and he was blown away at how laxed they were at the airports and quarantine, he said they were just using the "pinky swear" method if they'd visited any of the bad spots...and knowing some Americans may want to avoid the hassle of or are afraid of quarantine made us think it was a joke. He chose to quarantine himself (good guy, and over 60 too) but if they are (more likely if they WERE) being so cavalier at the airports it's upsetting to think of the extreme measures some organizations take (NCAA) when we're not doing the same at every level. Of course that was over a week ago so hopefully this is the start of EVERYONE getting on the same page. I just hate to see some making the sacrifice while others aren't. Valid points meatloaf and SASH

I wish this weren’t happening and per my post the other day in the virus thread about some crazy things I’m seeing as a frequent traveler I think it’s a bit much. Given lots of legal experts have indicated potential liability for allowing attendance to these events I don’t even believe it’s about preventing the spread of the virus. It’s simple math. Even with the enormous amount of revenue generated during March Madness...the potential billions in liability pretty much makes the decision easy. Losing a little bit of money is a helluva lot better than losing hundreds of millions in lawsuits and legal fees. There isn’t anyway to prevent this virus from spreading at this point. I flew out and back to CA this week, going to get a haircut tomorrow and feel my risk of exposure is the same. Wouldn’t feel any different at a basketball tourney game or the NCAA wrestling tourney. Heck our nanny’s sister is a RN and she’s even said that basically everyone’s likely going to contract it at some point like any other flu strain. Certainly a concern for elderly and individuals with health issues/challenges, but generally a flu bug that might be a bit nasty like any other flu bug can be. Lots of folks feel differently of course and I certainly respect that as this is just my simple opinion. One thing I am pretty certain on is although there’s some element of concern for public health, the cancellation of these big events is being driven by the potential liability/money.

Oh well, it is what it is, and I was going to have to watch it on tv anyways. It’s just going to be so odd watching my favorite sport on the biggest stage....with basically no fans in attendance. Just doesn’t seem right.
And I've just returned from the gym today (was empty) and I refuse to give in. But this virus is indeed scary. The cancellation of these events are fore the safety of the people. End of story. Get over it and watch the tournament on the computer or the TV (if the NCCA wresting tournament even happens). Go Hawks!!!

Reactions: SDHN2013
This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. What difference does it make if you allow a family member in? Are they going to test them on the way in? They could be infected just like someone else? I don’t get it.
Really? They're trying to limit the exposure. Yeah a parent might have it but instead of having 40.000 people who come from all over the country that the parent could spread it to, there is just 500 other parents.

Other than Iowa, Penn State, and a few others, wrestling in front of minimal fans will be a typical experience.
Not much difference than the crowd Spencer Lee had at the U.S. Open. I was amazed at all the empty seats in the camera view right next to the mat.

By part of the problem, are you saying the people who think this is silly are carrying the virus? As I see it there are only 2 parts of the problem. The people carrying the virus and the people who think a virus is some horrible thing that is not common place every year. I fail to see how someone who thinks people are intelligent enough to stay home if they are sick and people who think a person can recover from a virus - if they contract it and if it has symptoms- are part of the problem. Because otherwise no one should leave the house during flu season. Which is what - 6 months a year?
It supposedly has a two week incubation period where you can have no signs of being sick but you can still be spreading this the entire time.
It's crazy tho. Sucks

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

March Madness just got a lot smaller. And a lot quieter, too.

Reacting to the coronavirus global pandemic, NCAA President Mark Emmert announced Wednesday that upcoming championships will go on without fans, including the colossal spectacle of the men’s basketball tournament, and what was expected to be a supersized NCAA Wrestling Championships next week in Minneapolis.

The wrestling event is still scheduled for March 19-21 at U.S. Bank Stadium, which would mark the first time it’s been held in an NFL stadium. Organizers had hoped to shatter its attendance records, with 45,000 seats available for all six sessions. Instead, the big stadium will be mostly empty, except for wrestlers, coaches, family members and other essential personnel.

A year ago, that stadium was being prepped to hold the grand finale of the men’s basketball tournament: the 2019 Final Four. Nearly a million fans attended men’s and women’s basketball tournament games last year. This year, the new plan is to allow “essential staff and limited family attendance.”

The NCAA’s decision also applies to other winter sports, such as men’s and women’s hockey, which now will be played in front of no spectators.

The University of Minnesota followed suit later Wednesday, releasing a statement saying no fans can attend Gophers home games or events until further notice. Family and “essential” staff will be allowed.

“While I understand how disappointing this is for fans of all sports, my decision is based on the current understanding of how COVID-19 is progressing in the United States,” Emmert’s statement read. “This decision is in the best interest of public health, including that of coaches, administrators, fans and, most importantly, our student-athletes.”

Emmert said he acted on the advice of public health officials and the NCAA’s COVID-19 advisory panel. His decision came on a day during which reactions in the sports world came fast and furious, including the Ivy League canceling all sports through the spring semester.

Emmert also told the Associated Press that the NCAA is considering moving the men’s basketball Final Four from Mercedes-Benz Stadium to a smaller venue in Atlanta. First-round sites will remain in place, while the NCAA could move regionals from their currently scheduled arenas to smaller venues in the same cities.

The NCAA also announced that those who have ordered tickets from an official NCAA Championship vendor online or over the phone will receive refunds.

Wrestling impact

Next week’s wrestling championships — the first in Minnesota since 1996 — were in line to be a showcase for the state and a big stage for Gable Steveson, a Gophers sophomore from Apple Valley who is the nation’s top-ranked heavyweight.

“It’s crazy and won’t be the same” without fans, he said, but his goal remains. “I don’t care if there’s no one in the stands; I want to win.”

The expectation was the event at the Vikings’ stadium would obliterate the three-day attendance record of 113,743 set two years ago in Cleveland.

“Sports Minneapolis is deeply disappointed that Minneapolis will not have the opportunity to host this major event for fans as originally anticipated,” said Melvin Tennant, Sports Minneapolis Executive Director. “… As with any sudden news, there are many unanswered questions at this time. We will provide more information as it becomes available.”

The tournament promised to be a big draw for Minneapolis’ hotels, bars and restaurants, especially since the University of Iowa, with the nation’s top-ranked team and tournament favorite, is only a 300-mile drive away. Kevin Collins, an assistant athletic director at Iowa, gave a conservative estimate that 5,000 Hawkeyes fans would have made the trip north as their team chased its 24th NCAA championship.

“Usually at the NCAA wrestling, the Iowa contingent is one of the larger, louder contingents. That’s going to be amplified even more this year,” Collins said Tuesday, before Wednesday’s news.

John Drum, interim general manager for ASM, the global company that operates U.S. Bank Stadium, was stunned.

“We’re still trying to sift through what it means for an event of this magnitude,” Drum said. “Nobody in their wildest dreams would have thought that something like this would have happened.”

Also unclear is whether the NCAA might consider moving the tournament to a smaller venue. The reconfiguration inside the stadium for wrestling will begin later this week with details about the operation in flux.

Reactions: 24 so far
Really? They're trying to limit the exposure. Yeah a parent might have it but instead of having 40.000 people who come from all over the country that the parent could spread it to, there is just 500 other parents.
Yeah I know what they are trying to do and in about 3 weeks all of this will be over and everything will go back to normal and everyone will wonder why we did what we did.

Yeah I know what they are trying to do and in about 3 weeks all of this will be over and everything will go back to normal and everyone will wonder why we did what we did.
I hope you are right, but don't believe you will be. It's going to get a lot worse before it improves, as the virus is already here and spreading.

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

March Madness just got a lot smaller. And a lot quieter, too.

Reacting to the coronavirus global pandemic, NCAA President Mark Emmert announced Wednesday that upcoming championships will go on without fans, including the colossal spectacle of the men’s basketball tournament, and what was expected to be a supersized NCAA Wrestling Championships next week in Minneapolis.

The wrestling event is still scheduled for March 19-21 at U.S. Bank Stadium, which would mark the first time it’s been held in an NFL stadium. Organizers had hoped to shatter its attendance records, with 45,000 seats available for all six sessions. Instead, the big stadium will be mostly empty, except for wrestlers, coaches, family members and other essential personnel.

A year ago, that stadium was being prepped to hold the grand finale of the men’s basketball tournament: the 2019 Final Four. Nearly a million fans attended men’s and women’s basketball tournament games last year. This year, the new plan is to allow “essential staff and limited family attendance.”

The NCAA’s decision also applies to other winter sports, such as men’s and women’s hockey, which now will be played in front of no spectators.

The University of Minnesota followed suit later Wednesday, releasing a statement saying no fans can attend Gophers home games or events until further notice. Family and “essential” staff will be allowed.

“While I understand how disappointing this is for fans of all sports, my decision is based on the current understanding of how COVID-19 is progressing in the United States,” Emmert’s statement read. “This decision is in the best interest of public health, including that of coaches, administrators, fans and, most importantly, our student-athletes.”

Emmert said he acted on the advice of public health officials and the NCAA’s COVID-19 advisory panel. His decision came on a day during which reactions in the sports world came fast and furious, including the Ivy League canceling all sports through the spring semester.

Emmert also told the Associated Press that the NCAA is considering moving the men’s basketball Final Four from Mercedes-Benz Stadium to a smaller venue in Atlanta. First-round sites will remain in place, while the NCAA could move regionals from their currently scheduled arenas to smaller venues in the same cities.

The NCAA also announced that those who have ordered tickets from an official NCAA Championship vendor online or over the phone will receive refunds.

Wrestling impact

Next week’s wrestling championships — the first in Minnesota since 1996 — were in line to be a showcase for the state and a big stage for Gable Steveson, a Gophers sophomore from Apple Valley who is the nation’s top-ranked heavyweight.

“It’s crazy and won’t be the same” without fans, he said, but his goal remains. “I don’t care if there’s no one in the stands; I want to win.”

The expectation was the event at the Vikings’ stadium would obliterate the three-day attendance record of 113,743 set two years ago in Cleveland.

“Sports Minneapolis is deeply disappointed that Minneapolis will not have the opportunity to host this major event for fans as originally anticipated,” said Melvin Tennant, Sports Minneapolis Executive Director. “… As with any sudden news, there are many unanswered questions at this time. We will provide more information as it becomes available.”

The tournament promised to be a big draw for Minneapolis’ hotels, bars and restaurants, especially since the University of Iowa, with the nation’s top-ranked team and tournament favorite, is only a 300-mile drive away. Kevin Collins, an assistant athletic director at Iowa, gave a conservative estimate that 5,000 Hawkeyes fans would have made the trip north as their team chased its 24th NCAA championship.

“Usually at the NCAA wrestling, the Iowa contingent is one of the larger, louder contingents. That’s going to be amplified even more this year,” Collins said Tuesday, before Wednesday’s news.

John Drum, interim general manager for ASM, the global company that operates U.S. Bank Stadium, was stunned.

“We’re still trying to sift through what it means for an event of this magnitude,” Drum said. “Nobody in their wildest dreams would have thought that something like this would have happened.”

Also unclear is whether the NCAA might consider moving the tournament to a smaller venue. The reconfiguration inside the stadium for wrestling will begin later this week with details about the operation in flux.
5k Iowa fans is probably an extremely conservative estimate.

Not picking on you personally, but if you think I want the American Public determining my fate when it comes to disease of any kind and how it effects their "freedom", that's not something I can get behind. There are A LOT, and I don't mean maybe, A LOT of dumb mofo's out there.

We can't even get assholes who are already knowingly exposed to self quarantine properly! Stupid bastards should be stoned to death in the local square! Assuming you can hit them and not be exposed......;)

This is a WE THING, like it or not.

so much this… Having the freedoms we do in this country is absolutely awesome, and 99.99% of the time I would not want to live in any other country.

But every once in a while, there are also downsides to that freedom… Especially in the way that our freedoms can hurt other people.

Don’t get me wrong, China sucks and I would never want to live there… But it is definitely an advantage that their government can just shut down all the factories and tell everybody to stay in their house and people actually have to do it.

I also hope you are right. But on Tuesday, the Attending Physician to the members on Congress told them behind closed doors, for their ears only, that between 70 million and 150 million Americans are going to catch the Coronavirus.

Peoples lives are at stake here, man. I have family members and friends with lung issues who could die from this “inconvenience.”
I understand you think this is way worse than I do. There are many experts that agree with you. There are many experts that agree with me. I have read things from every expert I could find. I probably spent 25-30 hours doing so as I had to brief a group of 70 people including some mid level government officials on the Coronavirus. I am not however going to say you are dense for coming to your conclusions. I will not suggest that you ate lead based paint. I will simply disagree. I feel very strongly that this is WAY overblown.

I understand you think this is way worse than I do. There are many experts that agree with you. There are many experts that agree with me. I have read things from every expert I could find. I probably spent 25-30 hours doing so as I had to brief a group of 70 people including some mid level government officials on the Coronavirus. I am not however going to say you are dense for coming to your conclusions. I will not suggest that you ate lead based paint. I will simply disagree. I feel very strongly that this is WAY overblown.
I hope that you are correct Sir, I really do. I'm not smart enough to say one way or the other.

I also hope you are right. But on Tuesday, the Attending Physician to the members on Congress told them behind closed doors, for their ears only, that between 70 million and 150 million Americans are going to catch the Coronavirus.

So what. News flash almost everyone in the country is going to be exposed to it sooner or later just like all the flu and cold bugs.

Reactions: usarmyret2011
I hope that you are correct Sir, I really do. I'm not smart enough to say one way or the other.
I do too. I can’t recall a situation like this. There is so much data that would suggest this is going to be very bad. There is also so much data suggesting it will suck but not that bad. It’s been over a week since I had to give my brief and so much has already changed. I am not certain of anything at this point.

Reactions: 24 so far
If everyone gets it close to the same time and 2-6% end up in the ICU do you think they will have enough beds? You ever go to the store during Super Bowl weekend and all the chips are gone? Now imagine you need a respirator rather than Doritos. In the military there is something called catastrophic care. That can very easily happen here.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
If everyone gets it close to the same time and 2-6% end up in the ICU do you think they will have enough beds? You ever go to the store during Super Bowl weekend and all the chips are gone? Now imagine you need a respirator rather than Doritos. In the military there is something called catastrophic care. That can very easily happen here.
That’s a very real concern and the more I read into it I think it’s not a bad idea to disallow fans from attending. Half the country is going to get it no matter what we do. That overcrowding of hospitals could be greatly reduced by slowing the spread. I really don’t see any reason to not let the athletes compete though. That wouldn't increase the rate of infection much of at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT