ADVERTISEMENT

breaking Supreme Court sides with coach who sought to pray after games

Climate advocacy - despite the unhinged claims of the right - isn't a religion.

Sure. I'm saying religion isn't unique, so it's not uniquely rejected and doesn't get any special rights.

In the scenario I outlined above it's cultural/political/advocacy -- they all get thrown in the same bin in this scenario -- and it's a school official.

It's a "special interest" that may or may not be held by students. To me you're stuck basically accepting it all, or rejecting it all.

That said, the dissent isn't helped by being so incredibly poor. They start of by saying the majority ignored the facts, then made statements that clearly mischaracterized facts.

Link to the statements you believe are mischaracterizations and the record?

This study was done LAST YEAR.

The U.S. Supreme Court has supported religion in 81.3% of the religious cases under the leadership of Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., a big jump from prior years.

The study, set to be published in the Supreme Court Review, has the statistics: The Supreme Court supported a religious outcome in 45.5% of the religion cases under Chief Justice Earl Warren, in 51.4% of the cases under Chief Justice Warren Burger, and 58.1% of the cases under Chief Justice William H. Rehnquis

You're a kid on a HS football team and you want to play. How coercive is it for your coach to announce that he's going to create a public spectacle in support of his faith but you're more than welcome to sit it out?
Did he announce it? Or did he just go out by himself and started praying?

Sure. I'm saying religion isn't unique, so it's not uniquely rejected and doesn't get any special rights.

In the scenario I outlined above it's cultural/political/advocacy -- they all get thrown in the same bin in this scenario -- and it's a school official.

It's a "special interest" that may or may not be held by students. To me you're stuck basically accepting it all, or rejecting it all.

Another solution might be to allow gatherings/information about gatherings in the school, but to have it be completely student controlled.

The science teacher couldn't talk about the climate advocacy group, however.

A teacher/coach could lead a prayer gathering after a game.

That's probably not unreasonable.

I have no idea how it started. The last instance resulted in a mob storming the field and students were knocked down. The coach likened it to his time as a Marine and stated he couldn't leave the "field of battle" without a public display of his faith. That good old "football is war" metaphor.

BTW, parents testified in the lower courts that their children felt compelled to participate.

• Wow
Reactions: Ree4 and globalhawk

We knelt and bowed in a large circle in a darkened gymnasium next to the locker room and it was the last thing we did before we lined up to take the field. There was no announcement as it were, it was unofficially expected as part of the program. There was no option presented. I have little reason to doubt this isn't the case at different places all over Iowa and elsewhere in the country still.

We knelt and bowed in a large circle in a darkened gymnasium next to the locker room and it was the last thing we did before we lined up to take the field. There was no announcement as it were, it was unofficially expected as part of the program. There was no option presented. I have little reason to doubt this isn't the case at different places all over Iowa and elsewhere in the country still.
I don't support that. If you're going to do this it has to be well established as an optional thing.

It matters not what his "record" is. He is an authority figure under contract to the state. Until he is on his own time...which isn't until all of his players are beyond his supervision...his actions have a coercive, compulsory effect. Period. That's not even arguable to a rational person. Hell, he could have ordered players to not accompany him specifically to establish his "record of noncoercion". Seeking to be a test case would logically follow from his "march to midfield" conceit.
To the contrary, the record before the court is precisely what matters.

now of course had he ordered the players one way or the other he would be an actual public authority figure, actually exercising it, to restrict individual players free exercise.

Just out of curiousity, why is it that you think the first amendment contains an establishment and free exercise clause?

This cuts both ways it seems. The 1st amendment is clear that the legislative body should not make any law or rule prohibiting or favoring religion. The emphasis is "no rule or law" by the legistlative body but what about school districts making rules regarding their employees. That's tricky. If you allow one district to specifically prohibit religion, as a rule, it seems you have to allow another district to include religion.

I’ll be sure to remember that when I care about winning an argument on HORT.

Then why do it?

How well circumscribed was the process? That's where it gets tricky. I could see it being reasonable and respectfully done, or, being pushed upon people.

This is where I come down on this. Easy in theory to say its all completely voluntary, no hard feelings. Harder in practice to not hold against someone ho doesn’t participate.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
Time for the Satanists and Wiccans to organize some on-field "worship services" at games now...

I’ve played tons of sports with hundreds of kids growing up, I don’t think I ever remembered a Wiccan or Satanists….. probably just not very competitive

Reactions: doughuddl2
Good Christians gather here with me to pray to the one, true God.

Heathens, apostates, and Satan's minions stand over there. You know who you are . . . and so do we.

My point outlined above is that this dynamic can replicate across all kinds of excuses for gathering besides religion.

Maybe the rule, in general, should be that public officials can't lead, design, (participate?) or encourage participating in these sorts of special interest gatherings. (in this scenario, it would have to be something that organically emerges on the basis of student interest)

This is where I come down on this. Easy in theory to say its all completely voluntary, no hard feelings. Harder in practice to not hold against someone ho doesn’t participate.
Even easier to hold it against those who complain about it.

It's unlikely to be a problem if no prayer happens.

We used to understand this as a nation. What happened?

Reactions: sober_teacher
200w.gif

I agree with the decision...it isn't forcing religion on anyone.

Try to abstain from group prayer at school or work. I mean, you probably won't get beaten or anything like that but people definitely notice and draw attention to it. People will try to shame you into participating and they remember that you didn't and start drawing conclusions about you. You will also have people repeatedly approach you about it over time. Some will take a positive "I need to save this man" approach and others take a more negative approach. It's just easier to fake it and avoid the confrontation.

To the contrary, the record before the court is precisely what matters.

now of course had he ordered the players one way or the other he would be an actual public authority figure, actually exercising it, to restrict individual players free exercise.
First, he IS an actual public authority figure. Second, as stated earlier, parents testified in court that their children felt compelled to participate. That's not "free exercise". This really should have been an open and shut case.

Reactions: Ree4
I agree with the decision...it isn't forcing religion on anyone.
No, the decision isn't forcing religion on anyone. It's just giving permission to various people in positions of authority to force religion on others.

If we were talking about sex, few of us would have any problem seeing this ruling as permission to engage in sexual harassment.

Why aren't people so clear-eyed about religion?

Then why do it?

I wouldn't hold it against you but then again I would never ask my players to pray with me.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I have no idea how it started. The last instance resulted in a mob storming the field and students were knocked down. The coach likened it to his time as a Marine and stated he couldn't leave the "field of battle" without a public display of his faith. That good old "football is war" metaphor.

BTW, parents testified in the lower courts that their children felt compelled to participate.
Not to mention the school tried to accommodate him by giving him and whatever players wanted to a place to pray that wasn't on the 50 yard line. He refused because he had to make it a big scene about showing the world he was praying to Jesus. He's a Jesus Diva.

Didn't your boy Sosa use to do some sign to God after he hit a homerun. You must have almost committed suicide in '98.
Sosa didn't feel the need to trot out to the pitcher's mound to loudly pray every time he hit a homerun. But yes, thanking the great invisible sky man every time you hit a home run is also very silly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT