ADVERTISEMENT

Breonna Taylor

No they didn’t. They battered down the door while the people were sleeping.
Not true according to Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron. From NPR:

“According to Cameron, "evidence shows that officers both knocked and announced their presence at the apartment." He cited the officers' statements and one additional witness. There is no video or body camera footage of the officers executing the search warrant, he said.“

Try not to fall victim to mob mentality.

The fundamental problem is that they took the word of those they were investigating. I find it interesting HROT posters believe the cops when they had already lied about what happened. If the AG operated in good faith they would have been transparent and publicly released the evidence as presented to the grand jury.

“According to Cameron, "evidence shows that officers both knocked and announced their presence at the apartment." He cited the officers' statements and one additional witness. There is no video or body camera footage of the officers executing the search warrant, he said.“

They didn’t wait for the person to come to the door. They broke it down. They came there with the Internet of breaking in. That was the whole point of showing up at midnight.

You’re essentially saying there is no right to defend your home. The state has taken that from you if we accept this norm.

There were several other witnesses that said they didn’t hear the police announce or knock. The shooter did not and believed it was a home invasion. Moreover, they went through the trouble of obtaining a no knock warrant which the police attested was necessary for safety and protect against destruction of evidence, but they proceed to disregard the attestation and announce that they were the police. That’s seems implausible. Furthermore, the actions of the police in their reporting or lack thereof and misstatements regarding forced entry does call in their credibility regarding their version of events

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
That’s what I mean. They have a duty to protect people justifiably shooting at them. They caused the gun fire by breaking into the home. Knock on the door if you want to enter. Serve the community with respect and civility. That’s their job.

Explain how the hand up dont shoot thing went The lefties have been fed a bunch of bs and have fallen for it.

Your dealing with drug dealers man, they usually don't cooperate.

They didn’t wait for the person to come to the door. They broke it down. They came there with the Internet of breaking in. That was the whole point of showing up at midnight.

You’re essentially saying there is no right to defend your home. The state has taken that from you if we accept this norm.
When the police knock at the door and announce themselves, you don’t have the right to shoot them. “Defending your home” isn’t an excuse in that situation.

I think the Grand Jury has a bit more facts in this case than you do.

giphy.gif

Reactions: rocketclone
If people were really concerned with the workplace safety of police officers, they would be outraged over the kind of stupid tactics police are forced to use in our stupid racist drug WAR.

Expecting cops to risk their lives breaking down doors in the middle of the night, to look for a guy who wasn’t even there, as another relatively pointless sortie in an endless, ill-conceived war on ourselves: THAT shows a callous disregard for the value of the lives of police officers. But I suspect for many, this is about something other than workplace safety.

What if I told you that sometimes when they do this, they even throw a compression grenade through the window before they bust down the door? Its how its done when dealing with drug dealers.

When the police knock at the door and announce themselves, you don’t have the right to shoot them. “Defending your home” isn’t an excuse in that situation.

I think the Grand Jury has a bit more facts in this case than you do.
That’s not sufficient. They need to treat a persons home respectfully. The cops need to come at a reasonable hour and knock on the door. These people are not criminals.

What if I told you that sometimes when they do this, they even throw a compression grenade through the window before they bust down the door? Its how its done when dealing with drug dealers.
I’d say that’s why the cities are burning. The military police tactics have backfired bigly.

They aren’t drug dealer.

Reactions: BelemNole
And shooting a third party isn’t allowable under the self defense statute in Kentucky. We don’t know what the prosecution presented to the grand jury. If they have nothing to hide, release it. It’s a problem when the people prosecuting, investigating, and being investigated are all on the same team.

The state was brought in as a third party to investigate the shooting. The FBI has been tasked with ensuring all things related to the investigation are thorough, impartial and are ongoing.

You aren’t allowed to kill innocent people in the name of self defense.
They are allowed to return fire. The thing is a mess and a tragedy. They officer that shot blindly didn’t hit anyone, was fired, and is justifiably being indicted

People die every day on the highways by accident and poor judgment and usually someone is held accountable.

Why not here?

How many vehicle deaths result in vehicular homicide or manslaughter charges. Because it's a system failure and not a personal failure. No knock warrants shouldn't be used. The cops had bad intelligence and targeted the wrong guy in the house. This like a 10 car pile up in a construction zone. It shouldn't happen and people got hurt/killed. This can't be pinned on one individual. Doesn't mean there isn't accountability. The city paid money, cops should be fired, policies changed, etc. It doesn't mean that someone should be brought up on criminal charges.

That’s what I mean. They have a duty to protect people justifiably shooting at them. They caused the gun fire by breaking into the home. Knock on the door if you want to enter. Serve the community with respect and civility. That’s their job.
They did knock. I watched the entire AG's press conference and he laid out the facts very clearly. You should watch too if you can find it. I can't say you'll feel better. It's still a tragedy, but they got it right legally.

The AG couldn't have been better at the press conference given the circumstances.

They did knock. I watched the entire AG's press conference and he laid out the facts very clearly. You should watch too if you can find it. I can't say you'll feel better. It's still a tragedy, but they got it right legally.

The AG couldn't have been better at the press conference given the circumstances.
The knocked and announced softly. Regulations require more. They failed. That fail caused a death. They are guilty of reckless endangerment or manslaughter

Reactions: TheCainer
The knocked and announced softly. Regulations require more. They failed. That fail caused a death. They are guilty of reckless endangerment or manslaughter

False. The warrant they had was not requiring more.

It’s not a military situation. That’s the problem, the cops act like military. Perhaps vets shouldn’t be allowed to be cops. Because a very different mentality is required. Cops are there to take a bullet for a citizen. They aren’t there to fight battles and win the engagement.
Lol
So if I'm getting shot at, the cops job would be jump in front of the bullet instead of dropping the shooter? Really?

Ok....

It’s not exactly common practice to solely use the suspect’s, in this case the cops’, version of events, with little corroboration, when determining the facts of the case and present that to the grand jury. It’s likely, the same cops, who repeatedly lied previously, would also make up events to justify their actions. The AG neglected to mention that 12 people also stated the cops did not announce themselves and corroborated Walker’s version of events, instead. That alone is enough evidence to indict and take to trial, especially since they shot a 3rd party—which does not fall under the Kentucky self defense statute.

Reactions: BelemNole
Lol
So if I'm getting shot at, the cops job would be jump in front of the bullet instead of dropping the shooter? Really?

Ok....
Of course they should take a bullet if that’s the best way to save a civilian. How can you even ask that?

We don't know that. The facts laid out did not say "softly." Unsatisfying as it may be, it doesn't help anything to make stuff up to be angry about.

When the facts finally come out and don't match the 6 month narrative, it's disappointing. The lesson; let facts come out before you cling to a narrative.

Did they have a no knock warrant? If so they did their job. If so quit blaming employees and go after those in charge...

Reactions: JMNSHO
Of course they should take a bullet if that’s the best way to save a civilian. How can you even ask that?
So cop takes the bullet then the guy shoots me ( you might like that, so we'll pretend he shooting at you ;) )after the cop? Seriously?? Glad you're not out "protecting" us.....

Reactions: Hawkeyecurtis81
It’s not a military situation. That’s the problem, the cops act like military. Perhaps vets shouldn’t be allowed to be cops. Because a very different mentality is required. Cops are there to take a bullet for a citizen. They aren’t there to fight battles and win the engagement.
Wow. You need to go on a ride along sometime. Cops are NOT there to take a bullet for a citizen. And they are there to win the engagement.

That’s where I am. The drug war is tragically stupid and has its origins in racism and political persecution. I know cops and have one in the family, I think they are largely pawns in a bad game.
I have no problem with HARD drugs being illegal. however folks need to know plenty blame rests on the shoulders of folks they're gonna go vote for in a few weeks!!! And they have a d and an r by their name :(

Reactions: JMNSHO
ADVERTISEMENT