ADVERTISEMENT

Bret Bielema

The Tradition

HB King
Apr 23, 2002
7CYktU3.gif

I don't get the hate for him. Did well as a coach everywhere but Arkansas. I think he'd do well at Nebraska...not TO great,but I think he'd win the west a few times. I hope he takes a year off and gets his weight under control.

I had a few run ins with him at the Sports Column back in the day. He was a funny, engaging guy. He was a tremendous success as a player, and as a coach. What's not to like? I think a lot of the Wisconsin fans got too worked up that Bret was a young, single man who enjoyed a young, single man's lifestyle. So, he jumped to a different job. He didn't succeed at Arkansas, but he'll get another job if he wants one. As others have mentioned, he needs to get his health in order.
Arkansas is a tough gig in the SEC West. Their roots are in the old SWAC, and I think they'd do better aligning with the Big 12 if the opportunity came up.

I had a few run ins with him at the Sports Column back in the day. He was a funny, engaging guy. He was a tremendous success as a player, and as a coach. What's not to like? I think a lot of the Wisconsin fans got too worked up that Bret was a young, single man who enjoyed a young, single man's lifestyle. So, he jumped to a different job. He didn't succeed at Arkansas, but he'll get another job if he wants one. As others have mentioned, he needs to get his health in order.
Arkansas is a tough gig in the SEC West. Their roots are in the old SWAC, and I think they'd do better aligning with the Big 12 if the opportunity came up.

I think the way he handled the media at certain points made him come off as arrogant. Not saying he is, but I got that impression of him. And people don’t like because he’s way overweight and has a hot wife (nice pics Trad). I’m guilty of fat shaming him and that is a pretty lousy way to be. I hope he lands in his feet, preferably outside of the B1G. I thought at the time him bolting for Arkansas was a mistake. For once, I was right.

Reactions: longliveCS40
I think the way he handled the media at certain points made him come off as arrogant. Not saying he is, but I got that impression of him. And people don’t like because he’s way overweight and has a hot wife (nice pics Trad). I’m guilty of fat shaming him and that is a pretty lousy way to be. I hope he lands in his feet, preferably outside of the B1G. I thought at the time him bolting for Arkansas was a mistake. For once, I was right.
Oh...he is arrogant AF. Trust me on this one.

Reactions: jellyfish10
I hate him for that fake punt in 2010, misguided hate, but hate nonetheless.
I don't hate him for the fake punt. I hate him for the fact that his fullback dove at the back of Adrian Clayborn's leg and AC wasn't 100% for the rest of the year.

I sat next to him on a 4 hr flight once. He talked football with me most of the flight once I mentioned I was an Iowa fan. Seemed like a good dude who really loves Iowa. He was an assistant at Wisconsin at the time and loved talking about how good drew Tate was.

Csb/
Did he eyeball your pretzels until you handed them over?

You couldn't be more wrong. Rural farm background, has time for everyone, common as dirt, and played for Iowa.

I clearly don't know him personally but his actions in the past along with interviews show him to be a db.

I spent some time drinking at the Sports Column too. Every time I was around him, he was drunk and obnoxious. Or working on drunk and obnoxious. That was always my recollection of him but several stories in this thread are making me change my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT