ADVERTISEMENT

Brett Bielema & Big Ten Network Press Conferences

Fair, but all coaches learn from those that came before them. I also don't think it's uncommon for an AD to be at football practice. Alvarez got the ship going but Beilema ended with an even better win percentage. He should credit for that.
What I'm saying is Bielema inherited a full strength program with a damn good culture. He didn't have to do much to keep that level of success. Evidenced by the fact that both Gary Andersen and Paul Chryst won at the same level he did.

When Bielema left for another program where he had to build those traits instead of inheriting them, he struggled. Things are going well this year for sure, but it remains to be seen whether or not he'll keep going at this level. It can't be ignored that he's benefiting from Iowa and Wisconsin both being down right now.

All this back and forth

Why does anyone think he’d leave Illinois for Iowa….. especially if he has success

He’s an Illinois native …. doesn’t seem too sentimental about the Hawks

as for the tattoo…..I have an ex girlfriend’s name tattooed on my ass
He isn't all that sentimental about the Hawks because the Hawks aren't too sentimental over him.

By most accounts, he has that "I before team" mentality that Kirk hates. Bret is pretty arrogant.

I can take him or leave him, but I don't see Bret ever returning to coach the Hawks.

I also don't see Bret ever sustaining anything of substance in Illinois

LOL! Plays to win. Anyone that obese is undisciplined in their daily life. Anyone that fat is lazy.

Since 2012, Bielema has coached 8 seasons in the B1G and SEC, and he has 1, ONE!, season with an above .500 conference record. This year it'll probably be his second. That's 2 seasons out of 8 with an above .500 conference record.

I'll take the coach that actually wins. Bielema doesn't hold a candle to Ferentz, or many other coaches, for that matter. He can't sustain the discipline it takes to win at a high level consistently.

You go ahead and keep making excuses for his fat ass. He'll never be Iowa's coach.
Pretty sure he took Wisconsin to 3 Rose Bowls winning 1. Ferentz is old news.

He isn't all that sentimental about the Hawks because the Hawks aren't too sentimental over him.

By most accounts, he has that "I before team" mentality that Kirk hates. Bret is pretty arrogant.

I can take him or leave him, but I don't see Bret ever returning to coach the Hawks.

I also don't see Bret ever sustaining anything of substance in Illinois
Yeah, the "I before team" thing really isn't accurate. Actually that is one of the last things I would say about BB. I think you're missing what he has been up to the past three years as he went on his NFL tour. The guy has changed. I don't know if he will sustain it. I do know that the guy actually came into the role with a plan for the entire program, and he is executing that plan. We're happy with the hire, and I seriously doubt he would move to another big ten program at this point.

goodfellas-henry-hill.gif
Mel Tucker is better? Guy can’t articulate…Harbaugh all over the place. Kirk has never been Mr Enthusiastic but at least he is honest and can speak proper English. Now with that said I could listen to Day forever, very informative and detailed.

The fire KF logic argument.
KF sucks because all he does it beat up the big10 West
Bret is great because all he ever did was beat up the big10 West. (1 game this yr vs the East... lost to Indiana)
Iowa's offense isn't innovative enough.
Jeff Brohm averaging 5.6 wins, Fleck ave 7 wins, Frost fired, Fitz 6.8 wins, Drinkwitz on the hot seat, 5.5 wins.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
Watching Brett Bielema talk it is evident why he is such a good coach. He is quite detailed and explained how he trains his players. Disappointed, the Big Ten Network rarely has Kirk on , but with 14 coaches fighting for airtime it is understandable.
The Big Ten Network only shows Press Conferences
that conform to their schedule. A team that has its
pressers before noon in Easter time zone are the only ones that they carry. That means that in the Central time zone teams pressers must be done before 11:00.
That will change when USC and UCLA join the Big Ten.
I don't know if the Big Ten Network won't bend or
Kirk won't. If Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State were in the Central time zone the Big Ten network would bend.

I am disappointed there's still a segment of this fanbase that still wants Bielema as the next and/or future head coach at Iowa........we've been having this conversation for the better part of 15 years now.

c60cfee6-797f-487d-8b53-85ab9e1a4658_text.gif
If Brett was committed to being the long-term HC at Iowa, put me in the camp of being perfectly fine with having him in that role. Personally, I think he is a very good football coach....and a good leader of an overall football program.

If Brett was committed to being the long-term HC at Iowa, put me in the camp of being perfectly fine with having him in that role. Personally, I think he is a very good football coach....and a good leader of an overall football program.

He would’ve taken the Iowa job, but the timing hasn’t worked out. I also doubt he or anyone else thought Kirk Ferentz would still be at Iowa in 2022. He’s dug in at Illinois and isn’t leaving

He would’ve taken the Iowa job, but the timing hasn’t worked out. I also doubt he or anyone else thought Kirk Ferentz would still be at Iowa in 2022. He’s dug in at Illinois and isn’t leaving
That may be the case. That's why I qualified my comment with "If Brett was committed....."

Yeah, the "I before team" thing really isn't accurate. Actually that is one of the last things I would say about BB. I think you're missing what he has been up to the past three years as he went on his NFL tour. The guy has changed. I don't know if he will sustain it. I do know that the guy actually came into the role with a plan for the entire program, and he is executing that plan. We're happy with the hire, and I seriously doubt he would move to another big ten program at this point.
Getting married and having a family seems to have had a huge effect on him as well.

”Fat“? Morbidly obese, actually. Another 20 pounds and they’ll start hacking off toes.

Lazy? Doubt it. I really don’t think you can get the kind of results he’s getting at the P5 level being lazy.

”He’s not a good coach”? He’ll easily be among the top three candidates for B1G coach of the year this year, and depending how they finish up, on a lot of short lists for national coach of the year. 3 B1G titles. In year 2 he’s got one of the worst programs in the country over the last 30 years ranked. #14. He’s learned directly from the likes of Fry, Snyder, Alvarez, and Belichick… C’mon, man. You’re being silly.

Did he screw your girlfriend in college or something, bro? lol

Your animosity level is just plain odd.
Yeah, there's a background story here he's not telling us about regarding Bielema- likely including one of the things you or I mentioned about an encounter he had with him. All I know right now he's completely and totally consumed with Brett-- meaning Brett owns him.

Reactions: Herklejerk
And just think had it not been for Bert giving Brian Ferentz those encouraging words way back when, Brian may have given up on football and be doing something totally different now.

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
Press conferences with coaches are generally worthless, with some exceptions. Kirk's are not among those exceptions. No way should he get more airtime. At best he is boring and nothing but the usual uninformative coach speak drivel. At worst he is thin skinned and snippy as we saw following the tosu beat down.

Reactions: DewHawk
One season makes a changing of the guard. Like Illinois will rule for years to come.
There’s a lot of stupid in this thread. When Brett was at Arkansas, iowa fans didn’t want him. Now, one half decent year in a down BT West year and he’s the second coming of Lombardi. Give me a break. Brett isn’t who you want representing the University.

Kind of interesting which posters a super supportive of Brett. It's almost like they have an agenda or something.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
There’s a lot of stupid in this thread. When Brett was at Arkansas, iowa fans didn’t want him. Now, one half decent year in a down BT West year and he’s the second coming of Lombardi. Give me a break. Brett isn’t who you want representing the University.
I would have been thrilled if he was named the HC at Iowa after he was fired at Arkansas FWIW.

He has a bigger sample size than the quick turnaround he's pulling at Illinois. Bielema has been my #1 guy since he was at Wisconsin. I'd take him over Stoops, Klieman, anyone.

10 wins last year.
Behind what...only Mich and tOSU for wins over the last 7 years or so, and we're getting left in the dust. While I would agree that our offense has not been historically good, and has been particularly bad the last half of last year this year, that hardly equates to being left in the dust. The might Illini beat our "left in the dust" team by 3 pts...on their field? Your definition of left in the dust is pretty strange.
Iowa cannot sustain their success with the offensive production the last 10 years. USC and UCLA will drop the Hawks several positions since there will be no divisions. With the lack of offense expect to finish in the bottom third of the conference.

I would have been thrilled if he was named the HC at Iowa after he was fired at Arkansas FWIW.

He has a bigger sample size than the quick turnaround he's pulling at Illinois. Bielema has been my #1 guy since he was at Wisconsin. I'd take him over Stoops, Klieman, anyone.
You were the exception then, not the majority.

10 wins last year.
Behind what...only Mich and tOSU for wins over the last 7 years or so, and we're getting left in the dust. While I would agree that our offense has not been historically good, and has been particularly bad the last half of last year this year, that hardly equates to being left in the dust. The might Illini beat our "left in the dust" team by 3 pts...on their field? Your definition of left in the dust is pretty strange.
watch any offense in the SEC, B12, ACC and get back to me. I was really zeroing in our stale offensive philosophy.

Ten wins is great. But when you peel back the onion we are 1. Always playing weak NC schedule 2. Always play ISU, which is a decent rivalry but hardly an impressive program and 3. We play in the B1G West which is just flat out bad.

I just long for something better, just something that might give us a small possibility of the CFP.

If you watch Ole Miss (not a blue blood), they actually run the ball a ton - now they do have a couple amazing athletes at RB, but they also have an athletic QB who can run and throw (novel idea) and they use a lot of motion and disguise to provide an advantage against the defense. Its not quantum physics, why cant we have a more innovative scheme?

Dusty,

Iowa cannot sustain their success with the offensive production the last 10 years. USC and UCLA will drop the Hawks several positions since there will be no divisions. With the lack of offense expect to finish in the bottom third of the conference.
I'll concede Iowa might be left in the dust, but I don't make decisions on what might happen unless the level of certainty is really high. Given Iowa's success with substandard offense in the past (as recently as last year) it's way to soon to make major changes.

ADVERTISEMENT