ADVERTISEMENT

Breyer Says He Is Open to Supporting a Supreme Court Age Limit

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007
Interesting that he now supports an age limit once retired.

Also, this is quite alarming.

Justice Breyer said on Sunday that such a reading of the Constitution, which focuses on the text and the original intent of its writers — a legal doctrine often referred to as originalism — “doesn’t work very well” because it prevents judges from doing what they think is right and forces them to “be bound by the text.”

Expand to 13 Justices - the President elected in '24 would appoint 2 more, then the President elected in '28 would appoint 2 more.

From here forward, all SCOTUS Justices would be given an initial 10-year term. At the end of 10 years, the President would have the option of extending a second 10-year term. Mandatory retirement after max 20 years served.

Life terms were intended to keep political bias out of the SCOTUS, but those days went "bye-bye" quite a while ago. Some kind of limits are now needed, term or age. I think term is better, because it would likely result in appointments based on qualifications and not based on the youngest individual the President can possibly get approved by the Senate.

Reactions: ericram
My issue is that upon leaving the high court, he then signals support for age and term limits for that level.

Further, he then turns around and sits on the circuit court of appeals at 85 years old.

Our lawmakers need to start addressing these issues.

My issue is that upon leaving the high court, he then signals support for age and term limits for that level.

Further, he then turns around and sits on the circuit court of appeals at 85 years old.

You are a partisan jackass so you getting upset about this is funny.

Reactions: nelly02

Northern…he has just released a book about 2 weeks ago where he discusses the Court and how it functions now quite in detail. You probably ought to look into reading it….If you would read it, you might better understand Breyers point of view, but then that would be uncomfortable for you. Tghe guy just made the “talk show” circuit this past month with his book….he is indeed an intelligent jurist……much more intellectually inclined than the many of the more rfecdent Court appointees……He is an intellectual opponent of “originalist” thinking and Alioto, although he maintain he and the justice are good friends and worked well together on the Court.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT