ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz as a head coach elsewhere

Or does he backfill a G5 school who's coach moves on up?

Akron – Hiring feasible, weak G5 opening. Would sorta work. Ironically Phil Parker was raised nearby and would be a perfect fit for them.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: hawkdave007
So it seems everyone wants BF gone, and I'm starting to get in that camp, but where would he go? I doubt he would leave to become a OC at another program, so I assume his next preferred step would be head coach somewhere.

With the coaching carousel in full swing, does he have a shot at one of the current openings? Or does he backfill a G5 school who's coach moves on up? Does he stay in the midwest and compete with dad for recruits or does he go elsewhere?

I'm sure he's likely to stay at Iowa forever and no one is looking to poach him, but thought this would be a fun exercise to see what everyone thinks...
The most legitimate question should be:

Who possibly at this point would offer him a Head Coaching Position in Division 1?

I contend there's not another DI school who would offer him an OC position and certainly not one right now that would offer him a HC position.

Can't leave if you don't have any offers. Novel thought but true.

There was a neat tweak we saw against Illinois in the first half in the red zone was a zone-read action with the TE coming back on a seal/lead motion. It only went for a short gain, but there are all kinds of stuff we can and likely will run out of that set, whether it be zone seal, read option, a boot with the TE to the flat, or even an RPO.
This play, except out of the gun?

Reactions: kzmyers
The most legitimate question should be:

Who possibly at this point would offer him a Head Coaching Position in Division 1?

I contend there's not another DI school who would offer him an OC position and certainly not one right now that would offer him a HC position.

Can't leave if you don't have any offers. Novel thought but true.
Probably extends to all of college football, not just FBS. He doesn’t have a great track record, and right or wrong, depending on whom you ask he’s damaged goods since he was implicated as being abusive and racially biased.

Reactions: frydaze
The most legitimate question is who would even be available or interested in being BF's successor and who among them would KF choose--and why? Thinking back to BF's predecessor makes me think, be careful what you wish for!

Wouldn't it be funny if O'Brien goes to LSU, Brian Follows as OC, and LSU has a good offense?
LOL. That would be the most Iowa thing ever, wouldn't it?

BF gets the OC job at LSU, the head coach lets him run the show, LSU builds the best offense in the country and BF is widely praised for his offensive innovation. He becomes a hot commodity, and when the Iowa job ultimately comes open, BF is "too good" for it. LOL.

• Haha
-----So it seems everyone wants BF gone, and I'm starting to get in that camp, but where would he go?

Wasn't Mount Mercy thinking of adding football at one time?

-----So it seems everyone wants BF gone, and I'm starting to get in that camp, but where would he go?

Wasn't Mount Mercy thinking of adding football at

Wasn't Mount Mercy thinking of adding football at one time?
Don’t forget, he has a deposition come up in February. There is not another that would touch him. See Chris Doyle and the Jaguars.

I don't want BF gone necessarily, and I am wondering about, as a Head Coach, with a Defense like ours this year, if we got up by two scores, if I wouldn't turn into a conservative clock eater O, and get aggressive only when the opponent got inside the the 14 point margin. Look how often it has worked and Iowa has come away with the W. It would be extremely tempting, pound the ball and punt inside the other teams 20, and make them take all the risks.

I wonder if Brian and Kirk ever have the conversation like..."they won't offer the job Dad if I can't get in the top half of Big Ten offenses, and I will never get there if I keep our offense eating the clock. And, Phil might retire before you do, so what kind of Defense does that leave me?"

If I were Brian, getting a head coaching job in the MAC or the NFL might be a route to go. Where he can run his O um-encumbered OR find a rely awesome, inventive OC and build his own independent reputation.
As I said, Troy job is available...

So it seems everyone wants BF gone, and I'm starting to get in that camp, but where would he go? I doubt he would leave to become a OC at another program, so I assume his next preferred step would be head coach somewhere.

With the coaching carousel in full swing, does he have a shot at one of the current openings? Or does he backfill a G5 school who's coach moves on up? Does he stay in the midwest and compete with dad for recruits or does he go elsewhere?

I'm sure he's likely to stay at Iowa forever and no one is looking to poach him, but thought this would be a fun exercise to see what everyone thinks...
I believe there are some D3 schools looking.

If Brian wants to be HC at Iowa, he needs to leave. He needs more experience not working for his father. I don’t care if it’s NFL or a lower level college gig, he just needs to see something else.

Remember, Kirk left Iowa to be head coach at Maine which was probably a nothing burger program. But Kirk probably at least got good reviews as the head coach as boss and administrator. Then he was back to coaching and working up the ladder until Iowa job opened up.

Brian should go get a lower level head coaching job if a higher level head coaching job is his main goal. Work out the kinks in your head coaching style and philosophy at a school with lower expectations and if you improve that program then that is a feather in your coaching cap.

Remember, Kirk left Iowa to be head coach at Maine which was probably a nothing burger program. But Kirk probably at least got good reviews as the head coach as boss and administrator. Then he was back to coaching and working up the ladder until Iowa job opened up.

Brian should go get a lower level head coaching job if a higher level head coaching job is his main goal. Work out the kinks in your head coaching style and philosophy at a school with lower expectations and if you improve that program then that is a feather in your coaching cap.
Here's the reality:

When KF left Iowa as the OL coach to go to Maine as the HC he likely got a decent pay raise to do that. Salaries paid to football coaches 30 years ago when he made this move are not even on the same stratosphere as they are today.

Today as an OC at a Power 5 B1G school, Brian is paid $865,000 annually. Going to a UNI level job, or a job like UMass (just filled I think) pays him less money. Bit of a bite to the ego I'd say.

Now, in the grand scheme, would BF benefit a lot by doing this if he aspires to be a HC one day? Of course he would. But to take a pay cut to do that?

I'd say his best option is to work at another school at Power 5, under another HC, where he can expand his coaching horizons. Most up-coming future HCs have worked for multiple HCs because it provides them great opportunity grow under different styles, etc.

But, and I know the BF support crowd doesn't want to hear this, you need to have those offers before you can even entertain the thought. The reality is he hasn't gotten those type offers and I don't think they are coming his way soon.

If you look back at the last three offensive coordinators at Iowa, their productivity is almost identical. Points per game, total yards per game, yards per pass attempt, yards per rush attempt, completion percentage, go on down the list, the numbers are all incredibly similar. This tells me that our offensive woes are not the fault of the OC.

No P5 school is taking BF in a meaningful way. He can't hide his stats and reputation from Iowa, and I doubt he's interested in stepping back to non-P5 football.

At this point, he probably figures his best shot at Head Coach is to just tough it out. Get the O-line back to Iowa football's standard. If he can take care of that, it probably solves most of the problems, and people will be quick to forgive a 9+ win season.

Padilla can create opportunities for our talented young WRs. He is mobile enough that he can hide some deficiencies. We have some really physically gifted running backs coming in, and our tight ends are always great. I'm not at all sold on Brian, but we may be closer to putting it all together on offense than we have been in a very long time.

As I said, Troy job is available...
As others have said, Brian should have enough salted away, and may not have an interest in Coaching after his Dad retires. If he was serious about getting the head coaching job at Iowa, he must have been guaranteed something close to "right of first refusal" by Barta (his boss), or he would be gone by now building a Head Coaching resume independent of the one he has on his Dad's staff.

As others have said, Brian should have enough salted away, and may not have an interest in Coaching after his Dad retires. If he was serious about getting the head coaching job at Iowa, he must have been guaranteed something close to "right of first refusal" by Barta (his boss), or he would be gone by now building a Head Coaching resume independent of the one he has on his Dad's staff.
Maybe Barta should be canned.

I really hope he's gone after this year. Between him and Greg Davis our offense has been nearly impossible to watch minus a couple of years
We said the same thing about KOK when he was OC, so, at this point it does not really seem like it matters who the OC is because we are not going to like the next one either. LOL

Why has it taken so long for every one to realize that it doesn't matter who the OC is as long as KF is the coach. He will run things and have the OC do what it takes for him to win. He doesn't want the offense to run fast and wear his defense out He has learned how to win playing close games. It may not be pretty and the fans may not like the looks of it but it's much prettier than 3--9 seasons.

I heard today (somewhat iffy source) that Akron is interested in talking to Brian and there is return interest. I have no idea if there is any smoke here or not.

I heard today (somewhat iffy source) that Akron is interested in talking to Brian and there is return interest. I have no idea if there is any smoke here or not.
Not much of a resume. How would you sell your offensive players and fans on an OC that has overseen one of the worst offenses in the country for the last five years. Until this year, I had hope for BF.

Not much of a resume. How would you sell your offensive players and fans on an OC that has overseen one of the worst offenses in the country for the last five years. Until this year, I had hope for BF.
I posted somewhere else that BF being considered for a HC job is solely due to the outstanding reputation of KF and the Iowa football program, and would have very little to do with his actual coaching accomplishments. NTTAWWT. If any of us could have a 7-figure income just because of who our Dad was, we'd all do it.

It is astonishing that so many of us are ragging on BF at 10-2 with the ccg around the corner. Last year we had the 40th ranked scoring offense with a reasonable (not dominant) OL. This year a shaky OL forces the guy to do what he can to keep us in games -- granted it is his responsibility to ensure we have adequate personnel every year but it is also a fact that the two best offensive linemen left early. More than play-calling, I think BF has to learn to use the portal better and start getting better at replacing early departures. This is a weakness for Iowa particularly on the offensive side of things. On defense all of us thought Nixon, gholston, heflin leaving would be an even bigger issue -- but outside of a couple games, PP has managed better.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I am admittedly curious to what see a BF offense looks like for a team that doesn't use its offense primarily to make the punter look good.

It’s been said before, by me and others….

Wayback when everybody hated KOK….Ken ran the spread at Allegheny and won the national championship!! Ill bet 90% of everybody on the this board…either didn’t know that or had forgotten…the offense was the way it was because of Kirk!

So I know or rather knew, basically 15 years back that no matter who the coordinator was the offense was going to look pretty similar to that…

Ken O’Keefe knew and knows football, I think Brian does too…

But I made a decision whether or not I thought KFz was the right guy or not and I felt he was and I’ve had a pretty enjoyable last 5-6 years because of that. Recruiting better, general game management better, operationally better, even defense & special teams better.

offense… Not so much and yet he is still the person reigning it in.

which is what makes this all so bizarre to me! I too knaw my teeth, walk out of the house, swear etc. at some of our offensive inefficiencies….but this team has never had this kind of talent & this kind of success for this extended period of time… I am enjoying it…one day, as I had hoped to begin with and as another had said…

That KF gets tired of hearing his son bitch at him and he says F***, fine Brian do whatever you want…

Until that happens we won’t know, not only whether Brian is any good, but any offensive coordinator that comes through here is?!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT