Brian Ferentz: Asset or Liability

• Asset

Votes: 119 40.1%
  • Liability

Votes: 178 59.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
jason-momoa-folding-chair.gif

Difficulty in making this assessment is that it's not possible to evaluate him as you would any other OC.

If he were generic OC "Joe Smith" with generic P5 program X, he'd have been shit-canned by now.

But that's not even close to the scenario.

Son of the current longest tenured head coach at the P5 level who has absolute control and completely owns the AD. AND who would rather punt 10 times in a game than have his qb throw an INT.

We'll never know what would have happened if he'd followed a more typical pathway.

Difficulty in making this assessment is that it's not possible to evaluate him as you would any other OC.

If he were generic OC "Joe Smith" with generic P5 program X, he'd have been shit-canned by now.

But that's not even close to the scenario.

Son of the current longest tenured head coach at the P5 level who has absolute control and completely owns the AD. AND who would rather punt 10 times in a game than have his qb throw an INT.

We'll never know what would have happened if he'd followed a more typical pathway.
This ^

It’s honestly not possible to fairly grade Brian under these circumstances.

Why would the subject be dead? Has something changed or will BF still be OC this season? It would be a dead subject if BF resigned that position and took on a lesser role with the offense that was so pitiful last season. He didn't, and if fact took on more responsibilities, so his performance in this key position is fair game for discussion.

Reactions: BlkNGld71
Let me start with KF. Under his leadership, i've never felt prior to a game against anybody that we are going to be outclassed with no shot at winning. He has repeatedly molded a bunch of no names into a cohesive bunch who will bloody superstar teams to keep us in games and also actually win those games at a good rate. Margin of victory has never mattered to me. Thrashing lesser teams by huge margins without credibly challenging titans doesn't do it for me.

What's the relevance of a para on KF in a thread about BF? I regard BF in much the same way when it comes to offense. He has shown often enough an ability to adjust during games and produce points when we need them. He has also called truly beautiful games and is a threat against tough opponents. With him, I don't feel like the game is lost before it's even played. He has also demonstrated he will adjust to available talent without having to force fit a style of play. All said, yes he will drop turds but imo it's not as frequent like many seem to think because as long as he pulls out a winning drive when we need it, he is doing his job. Also it is no coincidence that many of the games that he underperforms coincide with awful outings (or key screwups) by the defense as well.

As for his terribly ranked offenses, there is no question in my mind that if he were OC at many other schools (with talent similar to Iowa) he would right now be putting up offenses rated 50+ spots higher, only with a much worse W-L ratio.

Reactions: Ree4 and F5n5
Let me start with KF. Under his leadership, i've never felt prior to a game against anybody that we are going to be outclassed with no shot at winning. He has repeatedly molded a bunch of no names into a cohesive bunch who will bloody superstar teams to keep us in games and also actually win those games at a good rate. Margin of victory has never mattered to me. Thrashing lesser teams by huge margins without credibly challenging titans doesn't do it for me.

What's the relevance of a para on KF in a thread about BF? I regard BF in much the same way when it comes to offense. He has shown often enough an ability to adjust during games and produce points when we need them. He has also called truly beautiful games and is a threat against tough opponents. With him, I don't feel like the game is lost before it's even played. He has also demonstrated he will adjust to available talent without having to force fit a style of play. All said, yes he will drop turds but imo it's not as frequent like many seem to think because as long as he pulls out a winning drive when we need it, he is doing his job. Also it is no coincidence that many of the games that he underperforms coincide with awful outings (or key screwups) by the defense as well.

As for his terribly ranked offenses, there is no question in my mind that if he were OC at many other schools (with talent similar to Iowa) he would right now be putting up offenses rated 50+ spots higher, only with a much worse W-L ratio.
One of the thing separates below or avg coordinator vs the good ones is in game or halftime adjustments. Parker has shown this to be true and why he’s one of the best. I don’t think BF is good at all with adjustments or least is avg to below avg. yes sometimes we have lead and plays conservative not to lose however close or games down been less than stellar.

First year in 17’ he had his gem and best ever game vs osu sandwiched between 2 before and after that were were pretty bad and all under 20 especially Wisky dumpster fire game after where we had less than 100 yds. Lot of games under 20 pt games that year 0-3 vs ranked teams. In our losses under him we’ve put up a lot of turds and maybe minus Purdue in 18’ and possibly psu game where you can say D didn’t do it’s job and O did enough. Flip side we’ve only had to or won 3 games in 5 years against a team who scored more than 24. Granted our D doesn’t give up that much too often with Ws over Isu in 17’ and Mn and Nebby in 18’.

Remember during Covid year msu game scored td and broke a streak dating back to previous season where 5 conf games we didn’t score a 2nd half td. an example of not countering halftime adjustments in 2nd half by other teams. Enough been said about last years O but one stat that just amazes me that we over came to win 10 games is we ranked 127th out of 130 in red zone td %.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkhorn
Based purely on objective metrics that measure the outcome of what he's in charge of, huge liability.
This. We enter every game knowing that our Defense and Special Teams have to be prepared to play well and probably even score points because our Offense will just stumble their way through the game producing very little except frustration.

Because the d and st were good.

Crazy huh lol
Thanks for making my point, if iowa had even a mediocre offense they would have had 12 wins last season. The offense, regardless of who has been running it, has been the weakest link 90% of the time. BF managed to accomplish the impossible, make greg davis look like an offensive guru.

BFz has the Bo Pelini problem. He may be a good coach, but he comes across as a bit of a jerk/ass/pick-your-term a little too often. He just has an "unlikeable" something in his personality. Hard to pin down precisely...but you see/hear/feel it when he talks.

BFz has the Bo Pelini problem. He may be a good coach, but he comes across as a bit of a jerk/ass/pick-your-term a little too often. He just has an "unlikeable" something in his personality. Hard to pin down precisely...but you see/hear/feel it when he talks.
Arrogance

Reactions: DewHawk
ADVERTISEMENT