Brian Ferentz: Asset or Liability

Brian Ferentz: Asset or Liability

• Asset

Votes: 119 40.1%
  • Liability

Votes: 178 59.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really enjoy watching the screaming and gnashing of teeth over BF. Looking at the big picture, Iowa's strategy isn't going to produce a top offense unless we have a schedule loaded with crappy D's and get lucky. It's not what we do.

I think our offensive woes last year were more a roster management issue than an OC issue. Our O-line was basically on the ropes by mid season last year. There isn't an OC alive who could have had a productive offense in the B1G with that O-line.

I think it's clear that Iowa prioritizes defense and will send/keep talent on the defensive side of the ball unless there's an embarrassment of riches there. If someone really felt the need to get pissed, it should be at the lack of foresight to pull in a couple players at O-line. We were really young/inexperienced/undersized and lacked depth at that position last year and it came back to bite us big time.

I also know that, as a fan, I don't have a say in whose coaching at any position. I can watch games and/or go to games, buy tickets and make donations or not, and that's the sum total of my influence.

I enjoyed last season despite the crappy offense. 10 wins was fun. I had 4 season tickets as usual and this year I upgraded my donation and seat location, so clearly I'm not pissed off about the situation. If we have a healthy o line, our offense will be where it usually is....top of the bottom third or maybe slightly above that. I've been watching KF coached teams long enough that I don't expect more. I enjoy the day, enjoy tailgating, enjoy the wins and, quite honestly, enjoy the defensive battles.

Some here get amazing worked up about things over which they have virtually no control. It's really quite comical. The angst over BF as OC, who plays QB, etc is amazing. Some can only enjoy football when there's scoring. I'm as happy watching a defensive slugfest with great tackles, disruptive d-lines and smothering secondaries. That's entertaining football too. I'm pretty sure there are people here who'd be happier with 7 wins and an average score in the high 30's that 10 wins and an average score in the 20's.

Shrug - whatever. At least I'm wise enough to not get worked up about things over which I have no control.

Now....on with the perpetual anti-coaching staff meltdown. Don't forget to bitch about the QB some too...there's not enough of that in this thread yet.
You don't think running 95% of the time on 2nd and 10 and doing insanely predictable things like that is a HUGE issue?

Umm ok
Can you actually say you enjoyed that offense??? Lol

Farging hilarious that complainers don’t realize Kirk is the common denominator. Even if Brian left, guess what kind of OC and offense we would still have??? Guesses??????
I don't recall kf forcing any other oc to run 95%of time on 2nd and 10. Care to explain that???

You don't think running 95% of the time on 2nd and 10 and doing insanely predictable things like that is a HUGE issue?

Umm ok
Can you actually say you enjoyed that offense??? Lol

I enjoy games....Iowa hasn't had a great offense in 20 years. I'd think all you "I only like teams with a great offense" guys would have moved on by now.

Reactions: Ree4
I enjoy games....Iowa hasn't had a great offense in 20 years. I'd think all you "I only like teams with a great offense" guys would have moved on by now.
Trying to say all our offenses have been this bad or even close is just pure stupidity!

Nobody is expecting an elite o, but keep defending a pathetic performing one...

Trying to say all our offenses have been this bad or even close is just pure stupidity!

Nobody is expecting an elite o, but keep defending a pathetic performing one...
Ha - quote to where I said all our offenses were as bad as last year? People seem to be condemning this year's O before they've played a single down.

Oh, I'm not defending last year's offense....it sucked. There's no two ways about it. But I still enjoyed the season and I'm not gonna judge the 2022 offense until I see them play some games.

Ha - quote to where I said all our offenses were as bad as last year? People seem to be condemning this year's O before they've played a single down.

Oh, I'm not defending last year's offense....it sucked. There's no two ways about it. But I still enjoyed the season and I'm not gonna judge the 2022 offense until I see them play some games.
Did you enjoy watching our offense?

I won't judge this year's yet but I'm not gonna hold my breath on them being decent with bf and sp still running the show...

I won't judge this year's yet but I'm not gonna hold my breath on them being decent with bf and sp still running the show...

The 2021 offense was not good. They did make some amazing plays that I enjoyed immensely. There were some electric plays that won big games for us...the pass to take the lead and win vs PSU for example. There was a brilliant pass over the middle for a TD vs ISU that was memorable. There were others, those are just two.

For the most part, the better plays came early in the season before our O line got decimated. The second half was abysmal. Anyone who says otherwise is ignoring reality.

Overall it was a very successful season. I enjoyed it quite a bit. There were many times the offense let me down and a number of times the defense did as well.

This is a new season coming up. I'm excited (like almost always) to see what it brings. I am pretty confident that I won't see an offense that is high flying and exciting. I'd be quite happy with 3 yards and a cloud of dust if it puts enough points on the board to walk out with a win 10+ times. Maybe that comes from watching B1G football since the 70's.....

Reactions: Ree4 and natchrlman
Ha - quote to where I said all our offenses were as bad as last year?
Iowa hasn't had a great offense in 20 years.
Sounds like you think things have been pretty status quo on the offensive side for a while.

People seem to be condemning this year's O before they've played a single down.
Maybe because BF has done absolutely nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt. For me, and probably a majority of Hawkeye fans, the Iowa offense is expected to be putrid until proven otherwise.

Sounds like you think things have been pretty status quo on the offensive side for a while.

I enjoy games....Iowa hasn't had a great offense in 20 years.

Ha - quote to where I said all our offenses were as bad as last year?

Just to be clear, since you seem to struggle with logic some times, saying I never said all offenses were as bad as last year's isn't inconsistent with saying Iowa hasn't had a great offense in 20 years. Saying we haven't had a great offense in 20 years is certainly no proof that I said all our offenses were as bad as last year's.

Not great does not mean as bad as last year. We've had ups and downs, but not great since '02. Even that year was really more just "very good", but great by Iowa under KF standards. It was at least dynamic.

Nice try....the strawman is still a strawman.

Just to be clear, since you seem to struggle with logic some times, saying I never said all offenses were as bad as last year's isn't inconsistent with saying Iowa hasn't had a great offense in 20 years. Saying we haven't had a great offense in 20 years is certainly no proof that I said all our offenses were as bad as last year's.

Not great does not mean as bad as last year. We've had ups and downs, but not great since '02. Even that year was really more just "very good", but great by Iowa under KF standards. It was at least dynamic.

Nice try....the strawman is still a strawman.
JFC. Your entire narrative has been about Iowa offenses generally aren't very good, so we shouldn't be ripping on BF for last season's debacle. Enough of this "certainly no proof" and "strawman" sh*t; this isn't politics on HROT.

• Haha
Reactions: Hwk-I-St8
just lofting this query in the air, interested in the hypothetical, because you Brian Ferentz supporters are so stubborn and the 60-40ish results of this poll have me slightly surprised. Just how poor an offensive performance this year would it take for you Brian Ferentz fans to join forces with "the dark side?" i.e., decide ole Bri is a liability?

Reactions: not_mantiteo
just lofting this query in the air, interested in the hypothetical, because you Brian Ferentz supporters are so stubborn and the 60-40ish results of this poll have me slightly surprised. Just how poor an offensive performance this year would it take for you Brian Ferentz fans to join forces with "the dark side?" i.e., decide ole Bri is a liability?
As long as parkers here they think bf should stay ;)

Asset at what??? Are some of y'all crazy??? Has it really been that long, that you cannot remember what a great offense looks like? The Ferments era needs to be over....period!!!

BFz has the Bo Pelini problem. He may be a good coach, but he comes across as a bit of a jerk/ass/pick-your-term a little too often. He just has an "unlikeable" something in his personality. Hard to pin down precisely...but you see/hear/feel it when he talks.
He's been riding family coat tails to get where he is. Your description is accurate but he's more of a Carl Pelini.

Brian Ferentz is so much smarter than all of you. Let's say he started out like gangbusters...great offensive numbers...then he had the last two years of below mediocre performance...everyone would want his head on a platter. Now, every still wants his head on a platter, but he's set the bar so low...that it's statistically impossible for him not to show significant improvement this year.

The result...a five year extension and 25% raise. Brian will then light up a cigar and read threads like this cackling and sipping a nice Portuguese port.

This is a new season coming up. I'm excited (like almost always) to see what it brings. I am pretty confident that I won't see an offense that is high flying and exciting. I'd be quite happy with 3 yards and a cloud of dust if it puts enough points on the board to walk out with a win 10+ times. Maybe that comes from watching B1G football since the 70's.....
Then you should remember how much more fun Iowa Football became when Hayden took over from Commings and he introduced something called a passing game. Some of those teams were electric and a blast to watch. Ferentz version of the same sport are dismally pathetic and you can only hope that the defense and special teams will keep us in the game to win by kicking FG's.

• Haha
Reactions: Frosty7130
Brian Ferentz is so much smarter than all of you. Let's say he started out like gangbusters...great offensive numbers...then he had the last two years of below mediocre performance...everyone would want his head on a platter. Now, every still wants his head on a platter, but he's set the bar so low...that it's statistically impossible for him not to show significant improvement this year.

The result...a five year extension and 25% raise. Brian will then light up a cigar and read threads like this cackling and sipping a nice Portuguese port.
He so smart he runs 95% of the time on 2nd and 10.

Yeah, all the great ones are that predictable!

Derp derp

Then you should remember how much more fun Iowa Football became when Hayden took over from Commings and he introduced something called a passing game. Some of those teams were electric and a blast to watch. Ferentz version of the same sport are dismally pathetic and you can only hope that the defense and special teams will keep us in the game to win by kicking FG's.
I enjoy watching our defense dominate as much as the offense....maybe more. I don't need high scores to enjoy the game. We're currently (last 5 or 6 years or so) winning more consistently than we ever have over that kind of time frame. I'll take W's, great D all day long. Fun offense would be an amazing addition, but if you told me Iowa would be top 3 in wins in the B1G from 2015 to now but our offense would be below average, if take it in a heartbeat.

Most of you wringing your hands would have too, but given that, you raise the bar based on "what could have been". Short of winning it all, there's always "what could have been". Don't let that cloud your judgement and drive your discontent. It maybe your so simple that the only thing that pleases you is touchdowns.

I’ve been a huge supporter of Brian Ferentz since he was a scholarship student football player and lived for free in federally subsidized section 8 housing at pheasant Ridge in Iowa city, presumably because his family was in great need of taxpayer support, and surely no one else, neither South Sudanese immigrants fleeing a deadly genocidal civil war, nor single mothers struggling to balance parenthood while studying at the UI, needed that apartment more. Brian totally deserved it.

He certainly knows how to work the system, as long as that system isn’t a big 10 offense.

And he clearly knows how to fail upward, at least while working for daddy. Again and again and again and again.

I’ve been a huge supporter of Brian Ferentz since he was a scholarship student football player and lived for free in federally subsidized section 8 housing at pheasant Ridge in Iowa city, presumably because his family was in great need of taxpayer support, and surely no one else, neither South Sudanese immigrants fleeing a deadly genocidal civil war, nor single mothers struggling to balance parenthood while studying at the UI, needed that apartment more. Brian totally deserved it.

He certainly knows how to work the system, as long as that system isn’t a big 10 offense.

And he clearly knows how to fail upward, at least while working for daddy. Again and again and again and again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Post of the week

Hmm. How much has Kirk and Mary given to charities. But yeah let that be your hill to defend.

I enjoy watching our defense dominate as much as the offense....maybe more. I don't need high scores to enjoy the game. We're currently (last 5 or 6 years or so) winning more consistently than we ever have over that kind of time frame. I'll take W's, great D all day long. Fun offense would be an amazing addition, but if you told me Iowa would be top 3 in wins in the B1G from 2015 to now but our offense would be below average, if take it in a heartbeat.

Most of you wringing your hands would have too, but given that, you raise the bar based on "what could have been". Short of winning it all, there's always "what could have been". Don't let that cloud your judgement and drive your discontent. It maybe your so simple that the only thing that pleases you is touchdowns.
Yeah man 10-2 is not good enough. Damn Kirk. But we ain’t like Husker fans. Lol.

Lots of people happy this was an anonymous vote. I knew there are a lot homers like any fan base but 40 pct? It took a covid year for this offense to break into the upper 80's in offensive rankings....90's or worse every other year. The fact this guy has spent his entire life around football and is this incompetent is incredible

Lots of people happy this was an anonymous vote. I knew there are a lot homers like any fan base but 40 pct? It took a covid year for this offense to break into the upper 80's in offensive rankings....90's or worse every other year. The fact this guy has spent his entire life around football and is this incompetent is incredible

well said...

ADVERTISEMENT