ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz future Coordinators

After Brian lands the HC job:

Kelton Copeland (who should receive a pay raise and title of assistant offensive coordinator by year's end) bcomes the new OC. I just believe Copeland means more to the production and recruiting success for BF than TP. Especially , if Copeland keeps bringing in top 100 WR talents to campus and wins a few over and WR production stays strong. If TP goes, there are few guys who would love a shot at coaching the Iowa OL (maybe a James Ferentz).

Seth Wallace may get the nod as the new DC after PP retires/ moves on/ whatever, but let's not forget Kelvin Bell has been putting together a very good resume and another year could mean he deserves a assistant title (and pay raise) as well. I am not dismissing Levar's contribution. I, also see Jay Niemann possibly stepping down in another year or two. Broderick Binns would a name for consideration to the coaching staff under the BF reign.

Nice find, but I'd rather not see Iowa run the flexbone formation during my lifetime.

He may work for Army but he would never bring the flexbone to his next school. He was the OC at St. Ambrose when I played there. He runs an uptempo power spread offense. He is just a great offensive mind. He teaches at coaches clinics and has made his offenses dominant everywhere he has been.

https://footballscoop.com/news/design-offense-scores-54-points-game-keep-simple-stupid/

He also is very good at recruiting. Bringing kids from all over the country to Kansas Wesleyan University, which is in the middle of no where. He also has social media rules for his coaches to engage with recruits. He would no doubt help Iowa come into the new age of college football.

Many of the same people who scream "nepotism", close their minds forever to the possibility that he might actually be a talented coach.

They don't want someone hired because of nepotism, but seem absolutely fine with excluding a great fit for the job from consideration simply because of a familial relationship.
these two things can occur simultaneously, of course, but once you have the job, you have to perform. which is still open for debate.

the nepotism crowd, I believe, would have preferred he went somewhere else first to prove himself rather than just be given the OC job under his father at a B1G school.

of course, you take the risk of losing him altogether if he turns out to be a phenom, but there are also a lot of excellent coaches out there.

also, most large organizations have rules against 'great fits' because of familial relationships.

I like BF but if there is not a legitimate national search for a new HC when the time comes, that would be a travesty.

Concur. It seems to me that Iowa is gradually gaining prestige over the past five years or so, and that we SHOULD be able to attract some good up and comer with an impressive resume as a head coach at the lower level (MAC level or something like that).

But I will be very surprised if anything like that happens.

I don't see Phil retiring when Kirk does. And I don't see Phil wanting the HC job.

I could see Brian take over in 6 years, with Phil staying as DC for 5 years or so.

I think Seth Wallace is gone to greater things very soon. But maybe living in Iowa keeps him here.

Last edited:
James Dobson SC after Doyle leaves
I agree with your choice and Doyle may decide to leave when Kirk does, but Doyle is only 51. I know its hard to believe. He seems older then that.

Doyle could be hear for another 10-15 years at least, just considering his age alone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT