ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz Podcast (Really Good Stuff!)

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
Reactions: perryhawk
Certainly took some shots at other teams/coaches in the area.
And there is some truth to what he was saying about ISU offering everyone and questioning how many of those were genuine offers.

I personally think what he was saying had some facts behind it. I think if you send out that many offers, what happen if people that are further down the list verbal to you before your "real" offers want to commit. You are stick and then you have to either decide to not honor the early commit and tell them no and then that in turn makes you look bad as a coach and hits with high school athletes and not wanting to go there. It is a double edged sword because you want to offer people but in turn it hurts because if someone lower on your board commits it might turn people who are higher on your board off.

A lot of 2nd tier P5 programs offer the top 200 kids, no questions asked. That way if a kid that they wouldn't normally waste any time recruiting shows interest, they can act accordingly.

A lot of 2nd tier P5 programs offer the top 200 kids, no questions asked. That way if a kid that they wouldn't normally waste any time recruiting shows interest, they can act accordingly.
So they wait for the player to initiate rather than the coaches initiating and building the relationship. Hey you're ranked high and I haven't seen you play or talked to you, but I'm going to offer anyways. Seems logical, not.

So they wait for the player to initiate rather than the coaches initiating and building the relationship. Hey you're ranked high and I haven't seen you play or talked to you, but I'm going to offer anyways. Seems logical, not.
They typically have smaller recruiting budgets. They have their list of identified targets that they feel are worth pursuing, of course but sending the top 200 kids a letter offering a scholarship only costs the AD staff a couple of hundred dollars. If the get a few nibbles from some kids that they otherwise had no intention of chasing, it could pay off now or in the long run with a new relationship to the high school coaches that they met because of that interest.
A scenario might be: Iowa offers a 4* prospect from Pennsylvania. The kid decides to take a closer look. Iowa ups it's level of pursuit. Makes a trip out to see the kid play in person and meet the high school coaches that work with that kid. Get the kid's HS coach's opinion of him, etc. The kid signs someplace else. No worries. A couple of years go by and those same high school coaches have a kid that isn't getting any D1 offers, even though they believe in their hearts that he's a D1 player. They remember KF and the Iowa coaching staff fondly enough that they place a call and send some film over. KF looks at this 5'8 wrecking ball named Desmond and offers him a scholarship. The rest is history.
There are many reasons to throw out a ton of offers if you are a coaching staff at a program that wants to improve. And like the example I presented....Desmond Sanders is easily worthy of the cost of a form letter and a stamp.

Reactions: hawkeyecuz
ISU offers a lot of kids it doesn't have a chance with and doesn't seriously recruit. Like the poster above said. They also offer kids before much evaluation like they did with Todd and some others because they offer them so early. They are basically trying everything they can and I don't blame them for it. Seems like a more targeted approach would be better but they have done ok so far.

While it's true that you can't accept commitments from the 300+ schollies you've offered, I think ISU's strategy is, at least a significant portion, what ScoutRefugee is talking about.

Most kids remember their first offer. A small percentage of the time, that might give you an "in" with a recruit you'd otherwise have no shot at. There's not much downside to offering schollies to kids you have little-to-no chance with.

I don't have the time nor desire to sift through ISU's offers and deem whether most are long shots or most are non-commitable (All pretty subjective anyway). My guess is it's a mix of both.

They typically have smaller recruiting budgets. They have their list of identified targets that they feel are worth pursuing, of course but sending the top 200 kids a letter offering a scholarship only costs the AD staff a couple of hundred dollars. If the get a few nibbles from some kids that they otherwise had no intention of chasing, it could pay off now or in the long run with a new relationship to the high school coaches that they met because of that interest.
A scenario might be: Iowa offers a 4* prospect from Pennsylvania. The kid decides to take a closer look. Iowa ups it's level of pursuit. Makes a trip out to see the kid play in person and meet the high school coaches that work with that kid. Get the kid's HS coach's opinion of him, etc. The kid signs someplace else. No worries. A couple of years go by and those same high school coaches have a kid that isn't getting any D1 offers, even though they believe in their hearts that he's a D1 player. They remember KF and the Iowa coaching staff fondly enough that they place a call and send some film over. KF looks at this 5'8 wrecking ball named Desmond and offers him a scholarship. The rest is history.
There are many reasons to throw out a ton of offers if you are a coaching staff at a program that wants to improve. And like the example I presented....Desmond Sanders is easily worthy of the cost of a form letter and a stamp.
A letter? I'd prefer a phone call or video chat, something more personable than a form letter. Maybe even a visit if close enough and during right period of recruiting.

Don't mind him taking shots. What he said isn't necessarily wrong. I also don't think there's really a right or wrong way to do recruiting when you've been terrible like Minnesota and ISU have been. If I were a fan I'd hope my coaches tried anything and everything.

A letter? I'd prefer a phone call or video chat, something more personable than a form letter. Maybe even a visit if close enough and during right period of recruiting.
They might be doing more but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure a written offer is how most sites compile and list what offers a recruit has. I'm not exactly sure how they do it. But it doesn't hurt to try, as long as you don't end up wasting your time and money chasing kids you have no shot at getting.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...uiting-rivals-hawk-central-podcast/310493001/

I would have never believed that a Iowa football coach would say something like this. It is a good mixture of honesty and way sexy. And he is right on most accounts I think. I wonder if Kirk would have allowed another assistant coach say things like Brian did. I hope it doesn't bring ripples into the Ferentz family.
I will judge him on oline this year.Should be tops in B1O no? Pass blocking last 2 years ALMOST 60 sacks.RUN great.And mr.AKRUM back.Miss LeShun already.Looks like depth on oline also.JOE MOORE AWARD LAST YEAR FOR US INCORRECT.This year ours no?

Reactions: HawkinCarmel
I am at work and can't listen to the podcast, what did he say about Nebby?

Was taking a dig at the new coaching staff selling recruits on the fact they have a 'pipeline' to the NFL. Saying they had only had 4 over two years and the current staff doesn't have anything to do with past success. He said, he would hardly call that a pipeline.

I do think he's a good interview and I do love his honesty but I have to wonder if he is a negative recruiter at all.

It's a fine line. And even if he's being honest there are sometimes things that you just don't say about other coaching staffs to recruits.

I'm not saying he is a negative recruiter but you could certainly see how easy it is with his passion to go down that route

Was taking a dig at the new coaching staff selling recruits on the fact they have a 'pipeline' to the NFL. Saying they had only had 4 over two years and the current staff doesn't have anything to do with past success. He said, he would hardly call that a pipeline.
Thanks, thats funny and true

Article from 2015 on $ spent on recruiting. Seems to tie into what's being talked about by BF a bit. Not sure if there's a more recent article with $ spent.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...g-signing-day-sec-power-conferences/22813887/

ISU has to spend more time doing this than Iowa, it's just how it is. Who grows up wanting to play for ISU football? Lazard. They have to get their program to a level where guys want to play for, without having to try so hard. Hard thing to change perception with recruits. With that being said, that # by Blair is astronomical. Wow!

Iowa has to push that angle. Iowa is sitting on a staff that has had great success in generating NFL picks, even if it hasn't always translated above that 7.5 win average for Papa Ferentz. That's Iowa's recruiting advantage.

It is completely true that years one and two of Riley's tenure hasn't been a smorgasboard of picks, but that doesn't mean they can't sell a pipeline. For one, none of these guys were "his guys" and he could reasonably say that no amount of Danny Langsdorfing was going to make Armstrong an NFL prospect. For two, these coaches do have a history of producing NFL talent at lesser schools.

For three, they seem to have a wealth of connections that is paying dividends for guys who I would probably not consider NFL caliber players. Minnesota is giving tryouts to I believe a couple of Huskers (Armstrong included at WR), which I think has a great bit to do with Spielman's father being an executive in the organization.

The basic message they can hand out is, if you have NFL potential, we can get you there, if you don't, we still might be able to, and say it with some credibility. We'll have to see in the coming years if that plays out, if it doesn't, it'll eventually ring hollow.

The thing is he was off base with what he thinks the pipeline is. The pipeline refers to our history of having offensive lineman and trying to rebuild the pipeline. Not a "pipeline" to the NFL

Reactions: loper and H20SIS
The thing is he was off base with what he thinks the pipeline is. The pipeline refers to our history of having offensive lineman and trying to rebuild the pipeline. Not a "pipeline" to the NFL

Mmmm,I didn't hear it and lacked that context. That would also make sense.

The basic message they can hand out is, if you have NFL potential, we can get you there, if you don't, we still might be able to, and say it with some credibility. We'll have to see in the coming years if that plays out, if it doesn't, it'll eventually ring hollow.

Um, then that makes them no different than every other power 5 Conference team congrats

Reactions: David1979
I think the problem is the constant focus on the past/history as opposed to the present......because presently Nebby is irrelevant :) 40-10, 40 to mother fing 10, LMAO

Did you actually listen to the podcast because that's not how I heard it.

It doesn't seem this has been talked about yet. But he also took a shot at Nebraska by saying that when he was with New England they cut one of the Nebraska players that they had drafted because he just wasn't a good fit.

Um, then that makes them no different than every other power 5 Conference team congrats

Well not all 120 teams will have that credibility.

I certainly wouldn't expect ISU to have the same success with that as Iowa or Nebraska, if all three programs were telling me that.

And if one wants to just point out how non-special that recruiting tactic is (and it isn't particularly groundbreaking), it just makes Baby Ferentz seem like that much more of a whiner about something that is probably said at each and every school. Its part of the business.

I think the problem is the constant focus on the past/history as opposed to the present......because presently Nebby is irrelevant :) 40-10, 40 to mother fing 10, LMAO
It's called selling your program in recruiting to try and get back to what Nebraska was in the past... It seems to be working alright so far for us. But certainly we must be irrelevant to your OC as he decides to call us out on that radio show. Also Nebraska has had 5 players drafted in the last 2 years... Iowa has had 5 not sure what the big difference is here?

Reactions: ThrowBones92
Yes I did listen to it. How did you hear it?
"We recruit against a couple schools that talk about their pipeline. I can think of one a little west of Omaha that talks about their pipeline and I think they've had two guys drafted in two years."
Not word for word but this is pretty close to the quote... So you tell me what he's saying??

Those numbers with Iowa at 93 offers seems rather low considering OSU is up in the 140 range and OSU can reasonably expect that many of its top candidates will actually choose them.

Given that coaches can throw out 180-200 offers and realize that probably half that list will self eliminate but their talent warrants the feeler, and can further manage recruits with "non-committable' discussions and the like, I think Iowa is seriously undercommitting itself to the recruiting game given that like a Nebraska, its going to have to offer a whole bunch of guys before you land a couple to fill out a position group at the end of the year.

It's called selling your program in recruiting to try and get back to what Nebraska was in the past... It seems to be working alright so far for us. But certainly we must be irrelevant to your OC as he decides to call us out on that radio show. Also Nebraska has had 5 players drafted in the last 2 years... Iowa has had 5 not sure what the big difference is here?
The difference in those 2 years is that we are 2-0 head to head, it seems like our border rivals to the west and north are more concerned with recruiting victories as opposed to victories on the field......I am well aware that Iowa's recruiting rankings are probably well below Nebby's, however; it doesn't really matter when it comes to the outcome on the scoreboard.......Iowa went 12-2 and had 1 player drafted in the 7th round, I would rather have that than going 6-7 and have several players drafted.....but to each their own I guess

Well not all 120 teams will have that credibility.

I certainly wouldn't expect ISU to have the same success with that as Iowa or Nebraska, if all three programs were telling me that.

And if one wants to just point out how non-special that recruiting tactic is (and it isn't particularly groundbreaking), it just makes Baby Ferentz seem like that much more of a whiner about something that is probably said at each and every school. Its part of the business.
That's certainly true, not all 120 teams have that credibility.

But who does Nebraska actually recruit against (e.g. not the ISU's of the world) that has *less* credibility than Nebraska with that angle? That's why it won't ring hollow eventually, it rings hollow now.

Those numbers with Iowa at 93 offers seems rather low considering OSU is up in the 140 range and OSU can reasonably expect that many of its top candidates will actually choose them.

Given that coaches can throw out 180-200 offers and realize that probably half that list will self eliminate but their talent warrants the feeler, and can further manage recruits with "non-committable' discussions and the like, I think Iowa is seriously undercommitting itself to the recruiting game given that like a Nebraska, its going to have to offer a whole bunch of guys before you land a couple to fill out a position group at the end of the year.

Iowa doesn't do the whole committable offer thing. If they offer a kid and the kid verbals then Iowa is done recruiting for that scholarship. Sure there are creative ways to open up a spot if one of your high targets decides late. I think the 2015 class was filled up before that season even started.

That's certainly true, not all 120 teams have that credibility.

But who does Nebraska actually recruit against (e.g. not the ISU's of the world) that has *less* credibility than Nebraska with that angle? That's why it won't ring hollow eventually, it rings hollow now.

Its not the only angle. You are selling everything. I would consider the staff deficient if they didn't mention it.

If Brian Ferentz thinks he's going to let Iowa sell kids on their myriad of OL/TE draft success, and everyone else just has to shut the hell up about an equivalent number of draft picks in the current regime...he's flat out crazy.

It probably bothers Brian a whole heck of a lot because:

1. as another Iowa poster noted, Iowa's recruiting success is generally less
2. Brian probably feels he's going to be at a disadvantage if the conversation about Iowa drifts too much from an obvious point of excellence

Reactions: ThrowBones92
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT