ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz Presser

percyland

HR MVP
Apr 16, 2011
Let me start by saying I’ve been no fan of the Iowa offense like many around here. But after listening to BF talk you can just tell he genuinely cares about winning. You can also tell he knows a lot about football. His interview with Chad Liestekow last year on his podcast was a great listen.

That being said some of the answers on top of the Alex Padilla quote saying it takes years to learn the offense is troubling. BF said Joey Labas still isn’t up to date yet and able to grasp the whole offense. I don’t think it is a Labas thing but is the offense made too difficult? We run a slow methodical offense that is ultra conservative so how could this be? Heck I remember when we got a delay of game penalty during a hurry offense situation. This could be a reason they don’t look hard at the portal for a QB, it doesn’t seem someone could step in and learn the offense in a short amount of time

Another reporter asked how he was going to approach the pass offense seeing that we could only complete passes at 49%. I would hope it would be an easy answer but instead it was a 5 minute ramble where I’m not sure the question was answered. Again a little concerning. If we have a statue for a QB the pass percentage needs to be much higher.

I really do hope BF turns it around and we have a middle of the road offense but the repeated lines of “we just need to execute better” is a bit concerning.

Let me start by saying I’ve been no fan of the Iowa offense like many around here. But after listening to BF talk you can just tell he genuinely cares about winning. You can also tell he knows a lot about football. His interview with Chad Liestekow last year on his podcast was a great listen.

That being said some of the answers on top of the Alex Padilla quote saying it takes years to learn the offense is troubling. BF said Joey Labas still isn’t up to date yet and able to grasp the whole offense. I don’t think it is a Labas thing but is the offense made too difficult? We run a slow methodical offense that is ultra conservative so how could this be? Heck I remember when we got a delay of game penalty during a hurry offense situation. This could be a reason they don’t look hard at the portal for a QB, it doesn’t seem someone could step in and learn the offense in a short amount of time

Another reporter asked how he was going to approach the pass offense seeing that we could only complete passes at 49%. I would hope it would be an easy answer but instead it was a 5 minute ramble where I’m not sure the question was answered. Again a little concerning. If we have a statue for a QB the pass percentage needs to be much higher.

I really do hope BF turns it around and we have a middle of the road offense but the repeated lines of “we just need to execute better” is a bit concerning.
Given how much is on the plate of the QB ... all the reads, all the calls, etc ... an Iowa QB is essentially a coach on the field. Just because the Hawks play with a deliberate pace relates in no way to the cognitive load that it places on the QB.

Fast-pace offenses almost exclusively put the calling of the play in the hands of the OC ... the variant reads a QB then made is then premised more upon reading a single guy (or very few guys).

Pro-style offenses typically have reads to make both pre-snap and post-snap ... that includes having the QB work through his progressions. The QB is usually responsible for checking protections (especially making sure the back is lined up right for protections) ... and that's in addition to reading coverages ... and do the standard hat-count.

As for comments about the need to execute better. That's not unlike EVERY engineering student I've ever taught. Usually their work is sloppy as hell ... and they make tons of algebra errors (particularly sign errors). As they mature and improve as problems solvers, they ultimately become more organized, they work things out with more confidence, and the execution of their approach is more consistent too. This sort of situation is teaching 101 ... the probably is rarely with the people you have .. the problem is more with HOW they're doing things. If folks improve how they're doing things ... then they improve and the quality of play around them tends to improve too.

I don't see why it's disconcerting.

The bigger problem would be if he was fundamentally teaching things poorly ... and folks weren't getting down things whatsoever. However, given the mastery of the O that Stanley possessed ... that seems to point to there not being issues with how the O is being conveyed.

Lastly, if you watch much of our play ... the OL's issues were almost 100% execution-related. Similarly, some of our most dynamic play at WR were by guys who were seeing their first position reps at Iowa (Jones, Johnson, and Bruce). It's not a stretch to believe that things will look a lot better when they're executing things more cleanly and consistently.

Given how much is on the plate of the QB ... all the reads, all the calls, etc ... an Iowa QB is essentially a coach on the field. Just because the Hawks play with a deliberate pace relates in no way to the cognitive load that it places on the QB.

Fast-pace offenses almost exclusively put the calling of the play in the hands of the OC ... the variant reads a QB then made is then premised more upon reading a single guy (or very few guys).

Pro-style offenses typically have reads to make both pre-snap and post-snap ... that includes having the QB work through his progressions. The QB is usually responsible for checking protections (especially making sure the back is lined up right for protections) ... and that's in addition to reading coverages ... and do the standard hat-count.

As for comments about the need to execute better. That's not unlike EVERY engineering student I've ever taught. Usually their work is sloppy as hell ... and they make tons of algebra errors (particularly sign errors). As they mature and improve as problems solvers, they ultimately become more organized, they work things out with more confidence, and the execution of their approach is more consistent too. This sort of situation is teaching 101 ... the probably is rarely with the people you have .. the problem is more with HOW they're doing things. If folks improve how they're doing things ... then they improve and the quality of play around them tends to improve too.

The bigger problem would be if he was fundamentally teaching things poorly ... and folks weren't getting down things whatsoever. However, given the mastery of the O that Stanley possessed ... that seems to point to there not being issues with how the O is being conveyed.

Lastly, if you watch much of our play ... the OL's issues were almost 100% execution-related. Similarly, some of our most dynamic play at WR were by guys who were seeing their first position reps at Iowa (Jones, Johnson, and Bruce). It's not a stretch to believe that things will look a lot better when they're executing things more cleanly and consistently.
I got a D in algebra, and that was only because one of the assistant football coaches was the algebra teacher, otherwise it would have been a F. So, your talking way over my head when you mention algebra. :)

Last edited:

Great breakdown. Unfortunately this will go over the heads of most detractors of the Iowa offense.

If your quarterbacks are routinely taking years to understand the offense, the problem isn’t the players, it’s the system.
We run what the pro's run, and normally Pro teams want their rookie QB's to learn on the bench for a couple years before they take the reins, ideally anyway, and I think we're doing the same here as it is taking a couple years for our QB's to pick up the offense. The bad thing about Labas is that he might have been tearing it up on the scout team, but he his time learning opponents offenses and not focusing on Iowa's, so he is going to be behind the curve from that standpoint.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
I got a D in algebra, and that was only because one of the assistant football coaches was the algebra teacher, otherwise it would have been a F. So, your talking way over my head when you mention algebra. :)
Algebra is by far the easiest math course beyond basic arithmetic. Starting with algebra, it really helps having a math teacher that not only knows the subject, but knows how to effectively teach it. Many of them aren’t very good at that second part.

As Homer notes, the Iowa offense expects QBs to make reads. It's an old-school approach. Hayden used it, as did everybody else until relatively recently. Now, more (perhaps most) programs have coaches make the reads and signal the play option from the sideline. Stanley (under BF) and his predecessors were up to the task, but is it now too much to expect from college athletes? Whether you want to attribute it to the greater sophistication of defenses or the inadequate development of cognitive capacity before getting to college, maybe fewer guys are capable are making the reads.

To provide an example from another school, Josh Dobbs was able to make Butch Jones's offense at Tennessee successful, but he was the only one. Dobbs graduated with a 4.0 in aerospace engineering. Maybe he was capable of grasping and seeing things that his teammates and successors couldn't.

Algebra is by far the easiest math course beyond basic arithmetic. Starting with algebra, it really helps having a math teacher that not only knows the subject, but knows how to effectively teach it. Many of them aren’t very good at that second part.
This. Algebra is basic math these days. If you don't understand algebra, don't even think about engineering or computer science. You have to understand algebra and geometry completely to get through Calculus. And don't get me started about differential equations...

Reactions: fezzador
If your quarterbacks are routinely taking years to understand the offense, the problem isn’t the players, it’s the system.
Agree. Our QB isn't standing 3 yards back from the center and staring at the sidelines before the snap every play, they're obviously asked to do a lot of the reads on their own. But if it's THAT complicated, take's THAT long for a guy to understand, and at the same time delivering results as bad as they've been, that's on the system and coach.

I don’t think it’s coincidence that the Phil Parker defense is known to be simple and it allows the players not to think too much and play fast and also ranks near the top in the country every year. Where the offense apparently takes years to learn, looks clunky as hell and was dang near the worst in the entire country.
We have been recruiting at a much higher level lately you would think it would start to show up on offense.

I got a D in algebra, and that was only because one of the assistant football coaches was the algebra teacher, otherwise it would have been a F or at the least a D-. So, your talking way over my head when you mention algebra. :)
I generally dislike how math is framed (in education). Too much emphasis is placed on the algorithm and the mechanics of the calculation - and little attention is placed upon the semantic of what it means and how it applies. Math is applicable to so many things in technology ... applicable to the description of nearly anything ... to the mathematical representation theory of languages ... to the coarse and fine descriptions of how markets and economic systems work ... to the formalism underlying how learning works ... to even the meta-process on how to represent models (and I'm not even necessarily referring to quantitative models either).

There is such a terrific richness and applicability to math that so few people seem to realize and/or appreciate. To so many folks - they think that math is just about numbers. To others it's just about proofs. To others it's only about the tangible applications. However, it's all of that ... and so much more!

This. Algebra is basic math these days. If you don't understand algebra, don't even think about engineering or computer science. You have to understand algebra and geometry completely to get through Calculus. And don't get me started about differential equations...
Exactly, I was going to say the same thing.

If you can’t crack at least a B in HS algebra, then geometry, trigonometry, and precalculus (shoot, even Algebra 2) are really going to be a struggle. If you’re not a math person (and it’s okay, many people aren’t) then a career in engineering just isn’t going to be in the cards.

I continue to get the feeling that BF is in way over his head as offensive coordinator and now with the addition of "Quarterback Coach" for which he acknowledged he has no clue of, to me it is already making excuses in the preseason for what is about to happen. The passing game is very unsophisticated as the majority of wide receiver throws are sideline patterns, middle tight end throws and a few screens and dump offs to the backs. The running game consists of basic iso plays with very limited misdirections and an occasional end around except for the sneaks and fullback traps in short yardage situations. Any audibles are Iback handoffs. Drew Tate and Nate Stanley both did pretty solid jobs as starters when the keys were handed to them in year 2, so there should be no reason that Labas can't be as successful with the proper grooming.

Read Ghost's post. It's a team execution issue.
His post correctly says the quarterback has reads to make before the snap and after the snap. He is reading the defense pre-snap and post-snap. That’s not execution. Execution is actually blocking the right guy, using proper technique and sustaining the block, etc. The quarterback is not responsible for the technique in the block and sustaining the block. So having a complete understanding/grasp of the offense is simply not execution. I understand it’s the ‘pro-style’ system but it shouldn’t be that complicated.

I generally dislike how math is framed (in education). Too much emphasis is placed on the algorithm and the mechanics of the calculation - and little attention is placed upon the semantic of what it means and how it applies. Math is applicable to so many things in technology ... applicable to the description of nearly anything ... to the mathematical representation theory of languages ... to the coarse and fine descriptions of how markets and economic systems work ... to the formalism underlying how learning works ... to even the meta-process on how to represent models (and I'm not even necessarily referring to quantitative models either).

There is such a terrific richness and applicability to math that so few people seem to realize and/or appreciate. To so many folks - they think that math is just about numbers. To others it's just about proofs. To others it's only about the tangible applications. However, it's all of that ... and so much more!
Math is about logical thinking, more than any other field.

nm

Last edited:
I credit my success to my seventh grade algebra teacher. We did every page, every problem for homework or in class.
Everything after him was easy.

Reactions: fezzador
The issue that I have with our system now is that the NFL has gone to a check-with-me style similar to what is/has been used at OU, TT, Alabama and many others. I would agree with the strategy if the NFL were doing what they did 10 years ago, but times have changed and it no longer places a premium on do it all QBs like Payton Manning. Time to catch up with what is going on at the highest level as that is what the Iowa program is based around.

This is college ball. You have a small window to get players up to speed and on the field producing. I hate when other teams all stand and look at the sidelines, but it appears to be effective and more conducive to early production for players.

One has to ask... Why not go with the simpler more effective approach?

Oh... And why isn't it a false start when other teams get all set, then break stance and look to the sidelines? I have to think that alone gives them an advantage because you can't assume the first movement is the start of the play.

I continue to get the feeling that BF is in way over his head as offensive coordinator and now with the addition of "Quarterback Coach" for which he acknowledged he has no clue of, to me it is already making excuses in the preseason for what is about to happen. The passing game is very unsophisticated as the majority of wide receiver throws are sideline patterns, middle tight end throws and a few screens and dump offs to the backs. The running game consists of basic iso plays with very limited misdirections and an occasional end around except for the sneaks and fullback traps in short yardage situations. Any audibles are Iback handoffs. Drew Tate and Nate Stanley both did pretty solid jobs as starters when the keys were handed to them in year 2, so there should be no reason that Labas can't be as successful with the proper grooming.
This could not be further from the truth, especially regarding the run game.

Everything else aside, I'd argue that our run game under BF has been more diverse than it ever has been. We've made use of inside and outside zone, split zone, iso, power, traditional and GT/GY counter, trap, wham, buck sweep, power read, and even more run concepts since he became the run-game coordinator in 2015.

I don’t think Iowa’s run a fullback trap since Hayden. You realize that not one fullback run last year was an actual trap play right?

To my untrained eye schools that play freshman QBs like OK and Clemson run a complicated offense.
I’m not convinced Oklahoma’s offense is that complicated for a qb. Probably ask him to make one read and tell him to run if it’s not there?? No opinion on Clemson.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I know what Joe Montana thinks of systems where the QB stares to the sideline waiting for them to tell the QB what to do.
I wonder what Patrick Mahomes thinks of it.

Joe Montana played college football 45 years ago. His senior season, 22 TD passes lead the nation in CFB.

I wonder what Patrick Mahomes thinks of it.

Joe Montana played college football 45 years ago. His senior season, 22 TD passes lead the nation in CFB.
Probably not a whole lot, considering that's not what they run at the pro level.

And for all their offensive prowess, TTU played in the Big 12 during a defensive depression in the conference, not to mention their own teams having some of the statistically-worst defenses of all time.

To my untrained eye schools that play freshman QBs like OK and Clemson run a complicated offense.

Not really, it’s a lot of motion to get the defense moving pre snap to expose what coverage they’re running. That’s when you see the offense turn to the sideline to check with the play caller and see if they stick with the original play call or audible to the second option. Then the qb has one, maybe two reads before throwing. More experienced QBs might have more to work off of.

Watch this video.

At the 2:25 mark Brian says football is a simple game. Then, as you stated, why is the playbook so hard to get down?

Watch here:

Reactions: CarterHall
OK so Iowa football is trying to teach Calculus to 8th graders.
One student might get in in 10 years. And just barely.

Great breakdown. Unfortunately this will go over the heads of most detractors of the Iowa offense.
did not see much that was any different than other teams run. our plays are called by the coaches as well, just like other teams and to say other teams QB do not change the plays at the line I do not think would be correct,
Yes it is team execution and who is responsible for that? BF--I watch games with 2 ex players that played for Snyder and they talk about what a perfectionist he was.

Reactions: RomanHawk
Agree. Our QB isn't standing 3 yards back from the center and staring at the sidelines before the snap every play, they're obviously asked to do a lot of the reads on their own. But if it's THAT complicated, take's THAT long for a guy to understand, and at the same time delivering results as bad as they've been, that's on the system and coach.
Bingo

Golf is a simple game. Why do so many struggle with it?
Im not a Brian hater and I dont generally bad mouth the Iowa offense, but this one is tough to argue.

Iowa generally runs a "boring" offense with basically no flair. There are tons of examples of high powered offenses that routinely play freshman QBs.

Its hard to fathom that Iowa's offense is so complex that 3 year players dont grasp the entire offense while teams that finish in the top 10 can start true freshman QBs.

Either those teams are tailoring their offenses to those QBs to help them succeed, or they have a system in place that is easy enough for someone in their first year to understand. Iowa should be able to do one of these to get the best players on the field.

Read Ghost's post. It's a team execution issue.
As has been mentioned, it is a system problem.

If Iowa’s offense is supposedly so complex it takes years to learn, then maybe it’s time to change it. Doesn’t really make much sense to have an offense that…..by the time a QB figures it out, he graduates and is gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT