ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz verse his father….

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
This could’ve gone in 10 different threads but something occurred to me tonight as I’m watching YouTube videos of the football team… The Northwestern game came up and I guess I’d forgotten we were up 14 zero at the 10 minute mark of the second quarter and everything changed.

One thing I’ve said over and over is I’m not a huge fan of Brian Ferentz the person and one of those reasons is Brian has a little “HATE” in him. I happen to think his father is a hell of a human being and we see that all the time in fact some of you have complained about the fact that he won’t pour it on… He has a tendency to reign things in if he has the game won early on. Thats what we saw in this Northwestern game.

If Brian had his own desire I believe he would go out of his way to bury every single opponent, I personally think that’s just the way he’s made… Now we can debate whether that’s good, bad or indifferent but I am convinced Kirk Ferentz, and I love him as a coach…but he very much controls what we do throughout the game.

Until he turns things over completely to “A” offensive coordinator, Whoever you pick to be that offensive coordinator… we will never have different results!

The Point being is: we do still play things too close to the vest, and I’m a believer in the fact that I think Kirk has morphed and improved but for whatever reason once he believes he has control of the game he plays it completely differently…

And that’s not the offensive coordinator that’s the head coach!

What is the difference between verses and Versus?

The ultimate battle. Versus is a preposition meaning "against," while its homophone verses is the plural form of the noun "verse," such as a line from a song or poem. "Versus" has many variants and shorthands, like "vs." and "v.", but "verses" is not one of them.

Sorry to be a dick. I battled a bit with co-worker who spelled it like you did, so I looked it up.

As far as what you said I think every competitive person has a little fire/hate in them. Brian wears it on his sleeve and Kirk holds it calmly inside mostly. Kirk is and has always been conservative old school style. It's won him a lot of games. Just not a lot of Championships.

If Brian wants to open it up more on offense I'm all for it. Instill the 2 min hurry up offense more often throughout the game. Mix it up and change the tempo. Good things usually happen then. If the Hawks have an incomplete pass on 1st down, please don't automatically run a stretch play on 2nd. Way too vanilla and predictable.

Last edited:
One thing I’ve said over and over is I’m not a huge fan of Brian Ferentz the person and one of those reasons is Brian has a little “HATE” in him.
if-you-have-hate-in-your-heart-let-it-out.jpg

What is the difference between verses and Versus?

The ultimate battle. Versus is a preposition meaning "against," while its homophone verses is the plural form of the noun "verse," such as a line from a song or poem. "Versus" has many variants and shorthands, like "vs." and "v.", but "verses" is not one of them.

Sorry to be a dick. I battled a bit with co-worker who spelled it like you did, so I looked it up.

As far as what you said I think every competitive person has a little fire/hate in them. Brian wears it on his sleeve and Kirk holds it calmly inside mostly. Kirk is and has always been conservative old school style. It's won him a lot of games. Just not a lot of Championships.

If Brian wants to open it up more on offense I'm all for it. Instill the 2 min hurry up offense more often throughout the game. Mix it up and change the tempo. Good things usually happen then. If the Hawks have an incomplete pass on 1st down, please don't automatically run a stretch play on 2nd. Way too vanilla and predictable.

And I accept the critique on my spelling but to be fair I’m in my garage smoking a cigar and doing it by voice… I do go back and try to correct, but I’ve kind of gotten a little tired of caring about grammar/spelling/whatever… I do try to be coherent 🤓

I have a lack of respect for a guy who's been gifted every position he's had in coaching without having to earn it. That's Brian Ferentz. Gifted coaching spots with the New England Patriots because of dad's relationship with BB, gifted plum position coach spots under dad at a perennial top-25 Iowa program, gifted the OC position under dad, etc. etc. etc.

Kirk Ferentz earned it. DC at Worcester Academy, assistant OL coach at Pitt, OL coach at an Iowa program coming out of a 20-year slump, HC at Maine, etc. etc. etc.

Brian simply hasn't earned it. And, apparently, he's fine sticking around and being completely reined in by his dad instead of wanting, for himself, to strike out on his own and establish his own credibility as a coach the way his dad did. I have zero respect for that. And yes, I realize he couldn't care less.

This could’ve gone in 10 different threads but something occurred to me tonight as I’m watching YouTube videos of the football team… The Northwestern game came up and I guess I’d forgotten we were up 14 zero at the 10 minute mark of the second quarter and everything changed.

One thing I’ve said over and over is I’m not a huge fan of Brian Ferentz the person and one of those reasons is Brian has a little “HATE” in him. I happen to think his father is a hell of a human being and we see that all the time in fact some of you have complained about the fact that he won’t pour it on… He has a tendency to reign things in if he has the game won early on. Thats what we saw in this Northwestern game.

If Brian had his own desire I believe he would go out of his way to bury every single opponent, I personally think that’s just the way he’s made… Now we can debate whether that’s good, bad or indifferent but I am convinced Kirk Ferentz, and I love him as a coach…but he very much controls what we do throughout the game.

Until he turns things over completely to “A” offensive coordinator, Whoever you pick to be that offensive coordinator… we will never have different results!

The Point being is: we do still play things too close to the vest, and I’m a believer in the fact that I think Kirk has morphed and improved but for whatever reason once he believes he has control of the game he plays it completely differently…

Hayden was a coach if he was up 28 then he wanted to be up 35. Bielema when he was winning games at wisconsin was the same way. If KF is up 10-14 in 2nd half we will see Iowa start milking the clock out like the ISU or IU games this year. As for the NW game I think it was just poor offensive play after we got up 14-0. Lot of miscues especially in the 2nd half. Maybe we played the run out the game mode sometime in the 4th quarter but for parts of 2nd and all of the 3rd it was sloppy football.

Last edited:
I have a lack of respect for a guy who's been gifted every position he's had in coaching without having to earn it. That's Brian Ferentz. Gifted coaching spots with the New England Patriots because of dad's relationship with BB, gifted plum position coach spots under dad at a perennial top-25 Iowa program, gifted the OC position under dad, etc. etc. etc.

Kirk Ferentz earned it. DC at Worcester Academy, assistant OL coach at Pitt, OL coach at an Iowa program coming out of a 20-year slump, HC at Maine, etc. etc. etc.

Brian simply hasn't earned it. And, apparently, he's fine sticking around and being completely reined in by his dad instead of wanting, for himself, to strike out on his own and establish his own credibility as a coach the way his dad did. I have zero respect for that. And yes, I realize he couldn't care less.
I could maybe buy being gifted the OC position, but BF was definitely qualified (and dare I say, good at) the OL coach position, and if you think Bill Belichick hands out coaching jobs as favors you have literally never read a thing about the man.

I could maybe buy being gifted the OC position, but BF was definitely qualified (and dare I say, good at) the OL coach position, and if you think Bill Belichick hands out coaching jobs as favors you have literally never read a thing about the man.
There's no way that BF's last name didn't have something to do with getting hired on by Belichick.

Life isn't fair for everyone. I am guessing Kirk saw something in Brian that he trusted, whether it was his fortitude to learn from growing up as a Ferentz or just an instinct that Kirk had about him as a coach and his future.

The Ferentz name and relationship with Belicheck obviously helped him get an interview with the Patriots, but I am sure Brian had to show some semblance of competence once he was there. A football coaching legend is not going to allow someone with no talent and nothing to offer to stay on his staff. I just don't believe that.

No, Brian has not had to pick Sh#t with the chickens on his rise to where he is, but it doesn't mean he has nothing to offer and hasn't learned some valuable knowledge along the way. If a minor league baseball player had the opportunity to learn in the majors for a few years without riding buses and earning peanuts for a salary, most would chose the former. I understand where you are coming from. I really do, but all is not fair in the coaching rise. Names matter.

Yes, I like Brian. I know he is controversial subject, but I think somewhere in his coaching DNA is an arse kicker. Someone with an aggressive offensive mind that wants to play an exciting and fast brand of football but not lose the programs identity either. IDK we will see, but I think he has a bright future in coaching whether we think he has earned it up to this point or not. You probably disagree but this is a forum and we are just sharing ideas and opinions here. :)

Lol, you keep believing that if you want, it's absolutely not true.
Right. First lines on Brian's Wiki page under coaching experience:

"Ferentz joined the New England Patriots in 2008 as a scouting assistant; his father Kirk was the offensive line coach from 1993-95 under Bill Belichick when Belichick coached the Cleveland Browns."

But I'm sure you're right and BB was all like... "Oh, that 25-year-old kid with zero coaching or scouting experience we just hired happens to be my good friend and former colleague's son? CRAZY coincidence."

Lol.

There's no way that BF's last name didn't have something to do with getting hired on by Belichick.
Did you read the article linked in the other thread about padding (BF's first job) at NE? Even if you believe he was initially gifted the job, the job was no gift. It was a hellish job that separated the wheat from the chafe and, by all accounts, BF was excellent at it. Only those who survived that trial got moved up. BF was promoted because he was good.

That's not even discussing the knowledge gained by doing that job.

BF is not a particularly nice man, but he knows football.

No, Brian has not had to pick Sh#t with the chickens on his rise to where he is, but it doesn't mean he has nothing to offer and hasn't learned some valuable knowledge along the way.
Read the article linked in the other thread about padding. Brian did indeed have to pick sh#t with the chickens on his rise to where he is. He literally started out with what is arguably the worst job in football coaching.

Prove it!!! Like other poster said, Belichick doesn’t give out jobs to friends. Also BF was there for three years and had to keep the job by doing work required

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Regarding that NW game, Brian called 51 pass plays and 23 runs which makes no sense for an Iowa team to be up 14-0 in the first quarter, only to lose 21-20 with a qb making his second start ever.

Petras struggled in those first two games and got better after that but has reverted back to his panic mode in the pocket, even when there is no pressure. Add in the guy can’t see the field or go through his progressions to find wide open receivers. An OC is only as good as his QB and Petras is not the guy to run Iowa’s offense.

Brian must be the first coaches kid to get into coaching working for his Dad.... how dare he?

anyone ever think maybe the Ferentz’s actually love the Hawkeye program and want to continue to be a part of?

Christ almighty I hope none of you complaining never followed your father into a profession....Bill Belichek grew up a coaches kid and his Dad’s connections landed him his first job.... how many examples you want?

Some of you complain Kirk doesn’t have a killer instinct then criticize BF for being mean..... he literally can’t win with you all

really have to question why some of you are Hawkeye fans unless you’re just trolls trying to stir the pot

Brian must be the first coaches kid to get into coaching working for his Dad.... how dare he?

anyone ever think maybe the Ferentz’s actually love the Hawkeye program and want to continue to be a part of?

Christ almighty I hope none of you complaining never followed your father into a profession....Bill Belichek grew up a coaches kid and his Dad’s connections landed him his first job.... how many examples you want?

Some of you complain Kirk doesn’t have a killer instinct then criticize BF for being mean..... he literally can’t win with you all

really have to question why some of you are Hawkeye fans unless you’re just trolls trying to stir the pot
I think Kirks speeches at half time might be a bit more forceful at times than his sideline demeanor. He isn’t throw stuff around for sure, but I think maybe some foul language and a bit loud for sure.

Reactions: natchrlman
Regarding that NW game, Brian called 51 pass plays and 23 runs which makes no sense for an Iowa team to be up 14-0 in the first quarter, only to lose 21-20 with a qb making his second start ever.

Petras struggled in those first two games and got better after that but has reverted back to his panic mode in the pocket, even when there is no pressure. Add in the guy can’t see the field or go through his progressions to find wide open receivers. An OC is only as good as his QB and Petras is not the guy to run Iowa’s offense.
Our line was below average last year as evidenced by a below average run game. Blocking was not as good as the prior year. Let’s get better there first and then judge whoever is playing QB.

I just don't understand this logic. Why are we to assume that somehow KF put on the brakes in that game? And, how do you suppose he did that? Did he start calling plays?

Or, perhaps NW simply stopped giving the ball to Iowa.

If you are referring to the 2020 game - Iowa got the ball on the NW 7 on a fumbled punt. Then the Hawks got it on the NW 45 due to another fumble. Goodson's touchdown to make it 14-0 was a draw play from the 20, right after the hated stretch play went for 5 yards and a first down. Nothing at all fancy or creative. Iowa didn't take their foot off the gas simply because their foot wasn't on the gas to begin with. It was just Iowa doing what they so - converting turnovers and a short field into points.

NW didn't have a fumble the rest of the game (although they did have an Int), and NW did what they do - controlled the ball with 143 rushing yards, picked up over 50% of 3rd downs and 2-2 on 4th down.

The Hawks picked up 222 yards after the score was 14-0. That's not KF's fault, except for poor OC selection.

if you mean the 2021 game, which coincidently Iowa also had a 14 pt lead - I looked at the highlights and still don't see the Hawks doing anything differently before vs after they got the lead. It just worked better.

Last edited:

Well considering as I said earlier Bill Belichick has two of his sons on his defensive staff right now so I have no doubt his name did help…

In fact and I’m assuming you clearly don’t know already, but who your mentors were and what your name is seems to be extremely prevalent in professional coaching. So as long as you’re spreading your disdain around fairly to the whole industry, not just Iowa then…bully for you!

in fact I suggest you quit watching sports in totality just to show how mad you are about it….

Furthermore since I’ve been in the hiring process before I think you should start asking questions in every business you enter about how many family members or friends are working for the employer…

Then I could probably take your complaint seriously

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
I just don't understand this logic. Why are we to assume that somehow KF put on the brakes in that game? And, how do you suppose he did that? Did he start calling plays?

If you are referring to the 2020 game - Iowa got the ball on the NW 7 on a fumbled punt. Then the Hawks got it on the NW 45 due to another fumble. Goodson's touchdown to make it 14-0 was a draw play from the 20, right after the hated stretch play went for 5 yards and a first down. Nothing at all fancy or creative. Iowa didn't take their foot off the gas simply because their foot wasn't on the gas to begin with. It was just Iowa doing what they so - converting turnovers and a short field into points.

NW didn't have a fumble the rest of the game (although they did have an Int), and NW did what they do - controlled the ball with 143 rushing yards, picked up over 50% of 3rd downs and 2-2 on 4th down.

The Hawks picked up 222 yards after the score was 14-0. That's not KF's fault, except for poor OC selection.

if you mean the 2021 game, which coincidently Iowa also had a 14 pt lead - I looked at the highlights and still don't see the Hawks doing anything differently before vs after they got the lead. It just worked better.

The 2021 game is obviously what I’m talking about and there’s the rub; things were just working better…I don’t know that it needs to be more than that but I also feel like Kirk is less likely to 0K more aggressive play calling, when he gets a 2 touchdown lead and then when they need to turn it back on sometimes it’s too late and shit just doesn’t work anymore

Last edited:
Well considering as I said earlier Bill Belichick has two of his sons on his defensive staff right now so I have no doubt his name did help…

In fact and I’m assuming you clearly don’t know already, but who your mentors were and what your name is seems to be extremely prevalent in professional coaching. So as long as you’re spreading your disdain around fairly to the whole industry, not just Iowa then…bully for you!

in fact I suggest you quit watching sports in totality just to show how mad you are about it….

Furthermore since I’ve been in the hiring process before I think you should start asking questions in every business you enter about how many family members or friends are working for the employer…

Then I could probably take your complaint seriously

Hopefully none of these people apply at the McGrath family of dealerships. The next management position is waiting for the next grandchild to come of age.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I think Kirks speeches at half time might be a bit more forceful at times than his sideline demeanor. He isn’t throw stuff around for sure, but I think maybe some foul language and a bit loud for sure.
I have been told this very thing by former players who have been to our tailgate..... said he can “peel the paint off the walls”

He is a hard nosed old school football coach.... I’ve also heard him get on players at open practices.... more than a few F bombs 😂😂

Reactions: pistachio1999
I have been told this very thing by former players who have been to our tailgate..... said he can “peel the paint off the walls”

He is a hard nosed old school football coach.... I’ve also heard him get on players at open practices.... more than a few F bombs 😂😂

I dont question Kirk's intensity. Some of the stories from his earlier days at Iowa😂. I'm not telling them here, but those kids earned it. This was from from 2000-2007 probably.

Not saying the current Iowa players have it easy, but those guys in the early 2000s, my goodness.

Iowa also threw like 3 interceptions in that game.

I was at the game vs Purdue in 2012 sitting in the first row of seating behind the bench. I can tell you KF had plenty of salty things to say that game. He went after the defense saying "You guys are letting them shove the ball up our effing arses" (altered for decorum). That's just one of many things said during that game.

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
Our line was below average last year as evidenced by a below average run game. Blocking was not as good as the prior year. Let’s get better there first and then judge whoever is playing QB.
You do realize Goodson had over 1,200 yards rushing last season?

The 2021 game is obviously what I’m talking about and there’s the rub; things were just working better…I don’t know that it needs to be more than that but I also feel like Kirk is less likely to 0K more aggressive play calling, when he gets a 2 touchdown lead and then when they need to turn it back on sometimes it’s too late and shit just doesn’t work anymore
It's important to note that Iowa won that game, which is why I thought you were talking about 2020.

I've watched a lot of Iowa football in the last several years (and in my life) and I don't know that I've every really seen a lot of "aggressive" play calling. I see that sometimes the plays work (e.g. tOSU, USC) but it's generally the same stuff.

I mean for this team, what is aggressive play calling? A 15 yd pass to a well covered TE? Going deep for the inevitable incompletion? The offense is just not very capable - and that's on BF, and on KF for hiring him.

Now, in the 2nd half of the 4th qtr when they have the lead, the Hawks do go into their famous Turtle Mode, which is hard to watch, but the other 3.5 qtr it seems like the same stuff - it works sometimes but normally not so much.

(Frankly, if I was HC, with a lead late, and this offense, I might go into Turtle Mode as well. )

The Iowa offense is obviously conservative (and bad). I'm just not convinced that KF tells BF to be even more conservative when the Hawks get ahead a little.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT