ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz wanted to move on to the NFL last year?

I believe it is vitally important to KF that his OC be someone who understands the culture of the Iowa program — someone he can fully trust. He had that for a while in KOK.

Greg Davis came next, and while 2015 was a magical season, GDGD was never a perfect fit at Iowa, which was apparent to many. That’s why KF ended up hiring BF for the job — there was nobody Kirk could trust more fully than his own son.

I think it is possible that there is some merit to these rumors that Brian wanted to leave after last season. And here is where we veer off into highly speculative ideas. The idea of BF leaving is a problem for KF, because he doesn’t have an obvious internal candidate to promote and because he doesn’t want a repeat of the GDGD fiasco with an outside hire. So what does he do? He keeps BF for a year, while also bringing in another guy to spend a year learning the culture of the program and winning Kirk’s trust, with the idea that the new guy will take over as OC at the end of the season. Of course, I’m suggesting that guy is Jon Budmayr.

FWIW, this would explain why they didn’t bother to hire an experienced quarterbacks coach — they knew that role would also be passed to Budmayr with the OC job.

I posted some of this same drivel a couple of weeks ago in the “post your wrong theories here” thread. That’s probably where this post belongs as well.
We would be in a much MUCH better spot right now with GDGD’s offenses. If Kirk is this terrified of going outside the program for an OC, then we’re in for more of the same next year.

Here is what former Hawkeye Jeff Buch said yesterday on Athlon's national podcast yesterday as they had Jeff on very briefly, "I believe it to be true that Brian wanted to move on to the NFL last year and Kirk was the one who convinced him to stay".
Kirk loves the fact he gets to work with his son and it keeps his son's family/grandkids close by. Kirk also hasn't given up on the idea Brian will be his successor as HC as crazy as that is. And Kirk is going to feel 100% the same way after this season. MARK MY WORDS!

How much do assistant NFL coaches make? The average salary of an assistant NFL coach was from $150,000 to $175,000 three years ago. However, now, they can make up to $400,000 or even more in one season.
I think this is out of date info. Similar to what has happened with college coaches, salaries have been ballooning and in general NFL salaries are going to be higher than college. From what I have read, top NFL assistants now make more than $4m a year, with a huge range and most salaries not being published info as these are private jobs as opposed to public with colleges.

This thread is nonsense. Brian put on the full court press trying to land a job outside Iowa City last year. The problem was, he was damaged goods and literally no one wanted him. Kirk encouraged the guy to go out and spread his wings, as Kirk has been taking heat on the nepotism issue for years and could see Brian simply wasn't cutting it as last year's OC. Like with the uncoordinated 300 lb center on the basketball team, Brian put his name in the portal, no one came calling, so he came back to his soft landing spot at Iowa, who welcomed him with open arms.
So, you're saying that KF actually recognized that BF was a bad hire, and then when BF proved to be un-hire-able anywhere else, KF decided that the very best thing for the Iowa football program was not only to retain BF but also to give him a raise and more responsibilities that he's absolutely not qualified for?

JFC

Last edited:
Sometimes a change of scenery is just what’s needed and best for everyone. It’s entirely possible BF is a really good coach and will prosper - the situation at Iowa just sort of spiraled, whether any of it was directly his fault or not (limited talent, Doyle fallout, QB controversy). We’ll never know just how much dissent he has with KF and how much he has maybe been handcuffed to scheme, QB selection, play calling, etc.

Heck, it took Belichick getting out of Cleveland and to New England to truly prosper. Maybe he would have done that in Cleveland eventually, but probably not.

If it's true that he wanted to leave, but couldn't because of the pending lawsuit, then it's an even BIGGER issue that KF and Barta retained him.

How long are you going to employ someone who is failing just because they can't find a job elsewhere? That's not how it works in the real world....only in nepotism world.

Pretty sure he could afford to step away from coaching until the lawsuit is finished.
So let me explain to you how the nepotism world IS the real world. Brian is a member of the most exclusive club on the planet. It's called the lucky sperm club and its members typically hold very lucrative positions of power and authority for which many are wholly unqualified. Often these positions involve large family businesses and the college and professional coaching ranks who wield enough power to create family businesses within their respective institutions. Consider them extended family to the good 'ol boys. The rest of us have to scrape and crawl our way to the top. These folks are born there.

Sometimes a change of scenery is just what’s needed and best for everyone. It’s entirely possible BF is a really good coach and will prosper - the situation at Iowa just sort of spiraled, whether any of it was directly his fault or not (limited talent, Doyle fallout, QB controversy). We’ll never know just how much dissent he has with KF and how much he has maybe been handcuffed to scheme, QB selection, play calling, etc.

Heck, it took Belichick getting out of Cleveland and drafting Tom Brady to truly prosper. Maybe he would have done that in Cleveland eventually, but probably not.
FIFY...

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
By all accounts he did a good job for the Patriots. He’s not a good offensive coordinator but he is likely a good coach. Both can be true.

It could be that Brian is a very good professional coach, specifically a position coach. Maybe he's just not cut out to be a college coordinator. After hearing him speak at coaching clinics, it's not a surprise that the NFL would still be interested. The really don't care that their tight ends coach couldn't land solid 18 year old recruits or call the right plays to make less than NFL-caliber talent succeed on Saturdays. They only care what you do to make them better on Sundays and his time with the Patriots makes people believe he did something right. I remember when Bill O'Brien got the Texans job, he wanted Brian to go with him to Houston in some capacity.

What makes you think BF was great at being a position coach of TE's? Belichek seems to have a hard on for KF, so him giving BF a job was more of the incest/nepotism that is prevalent at NFL level and college coaching. Belichek has his own boy coaching for him also.

What makes you think BF was great at being a position coach of TE's? Belichek seems to have a hard on for KF, so him giving BF a job was more of the incest/nepotism that is prevalent at NFL level and college coaching. Belichek has his own boy coaching for him also.

Um, Belichick has 2 sons coaching for him. :)

I think he actually has 2 sons coaching for him right now.

ADVERTISEMENT