ADVERTISEMENT

British Open

Tiger Woods finished first round tied for 33rd place
with an even par 71. The leader is minus 5.

Zach's at -2 and well within reach of the top of the leader-board, barring a monumental meltdown he should easily make the cut and hopefully set himself up for a late pairing on Sunday.

Reactions: mstp1992
Zach takin' care of business. At the moment -3 on the day and tied with overnight leader Kizner and Tommy Fleetwood - there's that name again.

That was a bomb at the very difficult 18th.

Not supposed to, but let's hope the weather continues.

They keep talking up the enigma of Zach in this power age of sports but I'm not so sure.

Heard Zach comment last week that he's picked up so much distance he and his caddie are "freaking out." Lol.

I know even in today's conditions he was hitting 190 yard 8 - iron approaches, for example.

Other than the last name he's never going to be confused with Dustin Johnson, but he can be sneaky long.

They keep talking up the enigma of Zach in this power age of sports but I'm not so sure.

Heard Zach comment last week that he's picked up so much distance he and his caddie are "freaking out." Lol.

I know even in today's conditions he was hitting 190 yard 8 - iron approaches, for example.

Other than the last name he's never going to be confused with Dustin Johnson, but he can be sneaky long.
I was watching yesterday and they said Jason Day hit a 7 iron 250 yds. It was down wind but still, that's a long damn ways.

Having seen him at both his charity event and the John Deere, you're right that Zach can hit it 300+ when he wants. He'll pick his spots, but generally it's not his strong suit so he goes with what works: strong iron play, and a good short game. I think part of the reason he doesn't consistently bash it is that he isn't quite strong enough to escape the trappings of the rough on many courses. Guys like DJ, Justin Thomas, Jason Day, etc. are much stronger and can muscle out of trouble. For him, it's more strategic to give up 20-30 yards from the tee to have a more comfortable 2nd shot.

Whatever he's done, it's worked to the tune of 10+ tour wins and 2 majors. Hard to argue with that level of success.

Loooong way to go yet but a win for Zach would obviously be huge.

How many active 3-time major winners are there? Five? Tiger, Phil, Rory, Paddy, and Jordan? Heady stuff. Heck, Zach might even become a full-time "notable."

And unlike most Ryder Cup years, Zach is not already qualified for the team. Win and he's in.

Zach is the leader going into the weekend at - 6. Thomas, Bubba, Sergio, and Dustin Johnson missed the cut. Tiger even, Phil - 2, Fowler, McIlroy, Kutcher, @ -3 / -4, Kim tied with Zach @ - 6. 9 of the top 13 are Mericans.

Also Rahm. #1, 2, and 5 in the world not playing the weekend.

Interesting statistics. His two major wins ties him for 46th with the most majors won. If he were to win this he would move him to tied for 30th. There are a lot of guys in the top 30 that are from Scotland who hold a lot of records from 1900-1915 which clog up the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_men's_major_championships_winning_golfers

Interesting that only 5 golfers have had a career grandslam. Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, and Tiger Woods. Nicklaus and Tiger have done it multiple times.

Reactions: mstp1992
Loooong way to go yet but a win for Zach would obviously be huge.

How many active 3-time major winners are there? Five? Tiger, Phil, Rory, Paddy, and Jordan? Heady stuff. Heck, Zach might even become a full-time "notable."

And unlike most Ryder Cup years, Zach is not already qualified for the team. Win and he's in.

Ernie Els isn't on your list.

Interesting statistics. His two major wins ties him for 46th with the most majors won. If he were to win this he would move him to tied for 30th. There are a lot of guys in the top 30 that are from Scotland who hold a lot of records from 1900-1915 which clog up the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_men's_major_championships_winning_golfers

Interesting that only 5 golfers have had a career grandslam. Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, and Tiger Woods. Nicklaus and Tiger have done it multiple times.
I think Tiger is the only one of those who actually had all four trophies at the same time. Didn't win them all in the same calendar year, though, so technically it wasn't a grand slam. But not too shabby.

Tiger needs to be within 2 going into tomorrow to win I believe. I don’t think he will be with how the course is currently playing. Good confidence builder for him though.

Side note: Does Zach Johnson ever have the Tiger Hawk on him or is it even allowed?

Nice, 90 foot? eagle putt, lol! Zack tied for lead again.

I was saying everytime ZJ is in the final group on the weekend, I tune in to follow and he always seems to take himself out early and then he's out of the coverage. That's just the way his day started today. Of course I want to see him turn it around.....

*Eagle putt
1ymvbd.jpg

Well alrighty then. I wasn't watching close enough, as usual multitasking..........Zach is seldom on a 5 in 2.....usually has to chip in to get an eagle. We'll take it.

ADVERTISEMENT