ADVERTISEMENT

British people react to American medical expenses

Be careful...Medicare Advantage is not the same as a Supplement Policy.

I'm aware of that, but you get what you can afford and do your best to stay healthy. I can't afford $5K a year in premiums on a fixed income.

I'm aware of that, but you get what you can afford and do your best to stay healthy. I can't afford $5K a year in premiums on a fixed income.
Maybe instead of voting for Trump in the next election you should consider someone who will actually attempt to fix the insurance issues in our country so you can afford the coverage you deserve. I wish nothing but the best of health for you, but as we all get older the risk of health issues rises dramatically. Trump has done zero to address this issue since promising a plan ages ago.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Maybe instead of voting for Trump in the next election you should consider someone who will actually attempt to fix the insurance issues in our country so you can afford the coverage you deserve. I wish nothing but the best of health for you, but as we all get older the risk of health issues rises dramatically. Trump has done zero to address this issue since promising a plan ages ago.
Yup, she should vote for Warren. Her calculator says it would be free in all cases.

Reactions: goldmom
Trump didn't talk about Medicare. Only the ACA.

I think everybody involved in our health care system needs to take a little less out of it.

Insurers make less.
Hospitals make less.
Providers make less.
Vendors (pharma, med device, suppliers, etc) make less.
Add in reasonable tort reform.

Then let’s see where we are.
Eventually? With crappy health care. With no incentive to improve it, the brightest minds will start taking their ideas to industries where they can profit.

We have the most expensive healthcare because we have the best healthcare.

But you guys keep on doing you. You are good at it.

About 60% of new drugs come from US companies. The next highest country is Switzerland at 13%. All other countries in single digits. There was a WSJ opinion piece a while back about how other countries freeload off US research and development. But, it is complicated since many of the US companies have research and development labs based overseas and manufacture many of their drugs outside the US. I doubt the US companies care about the freeloading because they make a killing on sales in America (see profits above).

Define "serious illness". Good luck with that. Erectile dysfunction, for example, isn't considered a "serious illness" but the effects of erectile dysfunction on relationships, mental health, and so forth are not insignificant.

Drug advertising should be limited to providers. Advertising directly to patients is not beneficial for anyone but the drug companies.
One interesting thing about ED meds is that they are very useful in treating pulmonary hypertension in premature infants. An entirely unintended benefit.

One interesting thing about ED meds is that they are very useful in treating pulmonary hypertension in premature infants. An entirely unintended benefit.

It was actually the intended benefit. Sildenafil was initially developed as a treatment for pulmonary hypertension but then had the unexpected side effect of increasing erectile function.

It was actually the intended benefit. Sildenafil was initially developed as a treatment for pulmonary hypertension but then had the unexpected side effect of increasing erectile function.
tenor.gif
Not really joking, you seem rather knowledgeable in the area.

Reactions: claykenny
So it seems plausible to suggest if we hammer drug companies we will see less advancement in treatments.

My point is, nothing is cut and dry and any action will have consequences.

Plausible, but again look at the percentage of their revenue that is reinvested into research and development versus administrative bloat and returns to shareholders.

Reactions: Wendy79
Eventually? With crappy health care. With no incentive to improve it, the brightest minds will start taking their ideas to industries where they can profit.

We have the most expensive healthcare because we have the best healthcare

But you guys keep on doing you. You are good at it.

No. Just no.

Reactions: Wendy79
Is there a link to any proposal that has detailed information about what it would cost in payroll taxes to have Medicare for all?

Seems to me anybody that is serious about it should be able to use a pencil and calculator and tell us what the tax rate would need to be. I assume it would be like social security where employers and employees both contribute.

lay it out there. If it’s truly that awesome people will jump at it regardless of party. Nobody is going to say “just keep Fing me over as long as my team is in power”.

Bernie tossed out $10,000 tax. If that’s per adult I would prefer my current situation quite frankly. If it’s per family I am very interested.

if nobody can do that maybe they should stop the political grandstanding and get busy with a pencil and get back to the American people when they got something.

perhaps a baby step, just push for government to negotiate drug prices for Medicare.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Paris
Plausible, but again look at the percentage of their revenue that is reinvested into research and development versus administrative bloat and returns to shareholders.

Returns to shareholders is not a bad thing like you are suggesting. They are the owners of the company after all and the profits belong to them. As does the risk. The shareholders deserve the profits.

Administrative bloat is an easy thing to attack isn't it? How much is due to regulation required to bring products to market?

Returns to shareholders is not a bad thing like you are suggesting. They are the owners of the company after all and the profits belong to them. As does the risk. The shareholders deserve the profits.

Administrative bloat is an easy thing to attack isn't it? How much is due to regulation required to bring products to market?

Not suggesting shareholder returns are a bad thing. Just pointing out that it is 150% of the revenue that goes toward research and development in the context of a conversation about drug development.

Not suggesting shareholder returns are a bad thing. Just pointing out that it is 150% of the revenue that goes toward research and development in the context of a conversation about drug development.

He doesn't want to acknowledge that ugly fact nugget.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT